Maguire ready to bring Souths' intensity to Concord

Wests Tigers Discussion
TheDaBoss

Maguire ready to bring Souths' intensity to Concord

Post by TheDaBoss » Mon 19 Nov, 2018 4:23 pm

ew Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire isn't shying away from the high-intensity approach he used to being success to former clubs South Sydney Wigan now that he has his feet under the desk at Concord.

There was a perception that Maguire's approach ended up burning out Rabbitohs players and was a reason for him being moved on for rookie Anthony Seibold, with the club jumping from 11th in Maguire's final season in 2017 to third in Seibold's first this year.

Speaking at the Tigers' Concord training base on his first day of official duties, Maguire said he had learned plenty in his 12 months away from a head coaching role and admitted he may do some things differently if he had his time over again.

He stressed that whatever approach he takes over his tenure will be one tailored to the Tigers' players and situation, but also pointed out his approach had been successful in the past, with Wigan taking out the Super League grand final in 2010 and Challenge Cup final in 2011 under his guidance before he helped South Sydney break a 43-year premiership hoodoo in 2014.

"I probably haven't changed my personality too much from Wigan to Souths and they seemed to get to the right places," Maguire said when pressed on his approach at a media session on Monday.

"I'm sure there's going to be some intensity at some stages.

"It takes a hard-working team to be successful and if they choose to do that this team can go a long way in moving up the ladder in this competition.

Maguire reveals Wests Tigers ambitions

"At times [the criticism is] probably fair but I also enjoy winning too. Being able to win competitions is part of what it takes, intensity around what you do coaching.

"I'll have that similar feel around what we do here but in saying that it's getting to know and understand the players. The appreciation of each of the players is what I'm about and growing them away from the field is a real key in how I grow the players."

Maguire's somewhat delayed start to the 2019 pre-season was a result of his international commitments as coach of New Zealand, having only landed back in the country in Friday.

Club CEO Justin Pascoe said rather than being a drawback, he believed Maguire's dual roles may further develop him as a coach as well as providing the club a recruitment edge in terms of luring Kiwi representatives to Concord.

Marsters happy for more work with Maguire

"We spoke about it through the process and our position was he would get not only personal development but professional development through coaching the New Zealand squad," Pascoe said.

"Alluding to the fact he's going to be in the [player recruitment] market, [New Zealand is] a fairly strong market around production of players so I think there's a competitive advantage as well."

Pressed on the odds of luring more Kiwis to join what is already a bumper crop of mostly former New Zealand internationals at the club, Maguire smiled "you never know".

Of the club's immediate future, Maguire said a return to the finals was the goal for 2019 but wouldn't be drawn into making any bold claims about winning a competition in his first season in black, white and gold.

He also reiterated his desire to work with – and hopefully extend the contract of – halfback Luke Brooks, who is off contract at the end of 2019 and as such can be approached by rival clubs.

"I've spoken to Brooksy a few times... I'm looking forward to sitting down with him and educating him and building his game," Maguire said.

"I really enjoy working with halves, it's something I've always had a passion for, the spine. Brooksy is a great talent. He's spent a lot of time at this club.

"The way he's developed his game, he's right in the prime of being able to take it forward. He's got good people around him, Benji [Marshall] and Josh [Reynolds]. It's the makings of a very strong spine.

"He's a big part of the club. I want to build a relationship with him first then talk to him about his game.

"I want to impart as much knowledge as I can to him to make him a better player. For any player, when you're at a club you're growing and learning you can become a better player."
:sign: + :deadhorse: = Ivan in a nutshell

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Mon 19 Nov, 2018 4:31 pm

High intensity fluff

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 19 Nov, 2018 4:48 pm

Harvey wrote:
Mon 19 Nov, 2018 4:31 pm
High intensity fluff
I think his talk is real , these players will know they have been through a pre season

Be interesting to hear what Lawrence says about it , he doesn't mince his words too much

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Mon 19 Nov, 2018 5:14 pm

"Club CEO Justin Pascoe said rather than being a drawback, he believed Maguire's dual roles may further develop him as a coach as well as providing the club a recruitment edge in terms of luring Kiwi representatives to Concord."

Will our recruited players for 2019 be Kiwis? I personally hope so.

Snake

Post by Snake » Mon 19 Nov, 2018 6:21 pm

Time to toughen up guys and about time...let’s hope we have seen the last of the soft underbelly!

willow

Post by willow » Mon 19 Nov, 2018 6:51 pm

Relentless desire to win driving Maguire at Wests Tigers
Author - Dan Talintyre
Timestamp - Mon 19 Nov 2018, 02:56 PM

Wests Tigers Coach Michael Maguire says his relentless desire to win is the biggest thing driving him forward at his new club.

In his first official appointment at Wests Tigers since arriving back in the country late last week from the Kiwis' tour of the United Kingdom, Maguire looked both focussed and excited about the task ahead as he spoke to journalists alongside Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe at Concord Oval today.

"What's the expectation for you in 2019?"

A seemingly innocuous question on the surface for Maguire, but one that began to offer a glimpse in to the mentality that has made the 44-year-old a proven Premiership winner in his time across both Australia and England.

"It always is," he said.

Full stop. Game on.

Maguire has garnered a reputation in coaching circles as one of the toughest and most intense trainers going around.

His time away from club land and in to the national role at New Zealand has changed him, making him a "more rounded coach" by his own admissions, but the relentless commitment to hard work hasn't wavered — and there's a reason why.

"At times, it's probably fair [to say I'm too intense]," he said.

"But I also enjoy winning too.

"Being able to win and win competitions is part of what it takes to be a good coach and that intensity comes from that. My personality hasn't changed too much from Wigan to Souths and they both seemed to get to the right places so I'll no doubt have a similar feel around what we have here.

"I'm very passionate around what I do and I'm happy to be back coaching.

"I'm really looking forward to working with these players — from the senior ones to the younger ones coming through. I really enjoy building young men in to better people, and if I can do that and get them on a better path with it all, then it's good."

"I'm sure there's going to be some intensity at some stage," he added with a smile.

"I like my down time too but at the end of the day, it takes a hard-working team to be successful and if this team chooses to do that, I know they can go a long way up.

"The players themselves — I know a lot of them and they know what I'm like. They'll take the mickey out of me about it, but they know that the reason why I do the things that I do is that I want each individual to be successful to help better the team."

While "Madge" will understandably take some time to find his feet at the new club and familiarise himself with his surroundings, there's also an immediacy to his plans at the club.

Not once was there talk of rebuilding rosters or planning for the future.

His focus is on competing straightaway in 2019.

"In time, where we're at will show itself but I think any squad is capable of winning the competition because the competition itself is so close at the moment," he said.

"In my time away, I had time in the last 12 months, I had time to sit up in the grandstands of every club and games basically come down to one or two plays.

"That's how tight this competition is.

"So for us, it's about working hard in this time and building strong combinations and people like Josh Reynolds can back out on the park, then we're a strong squad.

"There's good leadership with guys like Ben Matulino, Russell Packer, Benji Marshall, Robbie Farah, Chris Lawrence... there's a lot of strong names there.

"And then I think having guys who can complement that with some of the young names coming through, there's certainly the makings of what good teams are about.

"I've actually been watching this club for quite some time," he added.

"It's a big club, and I'm looking forward to building that momentum and getting the Members along and talking to the players about actually enjoying that momentum.

"I've experienced it at a big club here in the NRL and once you get that momentum behind you and the fans are in the stadium and coming along for the ride, there's no better feeling."

As legend would have it, Maguire arrived well before 6:00am for his first day.

There were no catch cries, no sayings or mottos, and no talks of buses.

"I'll just work hard each day," he said.

Game on.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Mon 19 Nov, 2018 6:55 pm

"As legend would have it, Maguire arrived well before 6:00am for his first day."

He won't let the bus pass him by.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 19 Nov, 2018 7:11 pm

willow wrote:
Mon 19 Nov, 2018 6:51 pm
Author - Dan Talintyre

Wests Tigers Coach Michael Maguire says his relentless desire to win is the biggest thing driving him forward at his new club.

In his first official appointment at Wests Tigers since arriving back in the country late last week from the Kiwis' tour of the United Kingdom, Maguire looked both focussed and excited about the task ahead as he spoke to journalists alongside Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe at Concord Oval today.

A seemingly innocuous question on the surface for Maguire, but one that began to offer a glimpse in to the mentality that has made the 44-year-old a proven Premiership winner in his time across both Australia and England.

"It always is," he said.

Full stop. Game on.

Maguire has garnered a reputation in coaching circles as one of the toughest and most intense trainers going around.

His time away from club land and in to the national role at New Zealand has changed him, making him a "more rounded coach" by his own admissions, but the relentless commitment to hard work hasn't wavered — and there's a reason why.

"Being able to win and win competitions is part of what it takes to be a good coach and that intensity comes from that. My personality hasn't changed too much from Wigan to Souths and they both seemed to get to the right places so I'll no doubt have a similar feel around what we have here.

"I'm really looking forward to working with these players — from the senior ones to the younger ones coming through. I really enjoy building young men in to better people, and if I can do that and get them on a better path with it all, then it's good."

"I'm sure there's going to be some intensity at some stage," he added with a smile.

"I like my down time too but at the end of the day, it takes a hard-working team to be successful and if this team chooses to do that, I know they can go a long way up.

"The players themselves — I know a lot of them and they know what I'm like. They'll take the mickey out of me about it, but they know that the reason why I do the things that I do is that I want each individual to be successful to help better the team."

While "Madge" will understandably take some time to find his feet at the new club and familiarise himself with his surroundings, there's also an immediacy to his plans at the club.

"In time, where we're at will show itself but I think any squad is capable of winning the competition because the competition itself is so close at the moment," he said.

"In my time away, I had time in the last 12 months, I had time to sit up in the grandstands of every club and games basically come down to one or two plays.

"So for us, it's about working hard in this time and building strong combinations and people like Josh Reynolds can back out on the park, then we're a strong squad.

"There's good leadership with guys like Ben Matulino, Russell Packer, Benji Marshall, Robbie Farah, Chris Lawrence... there's a lot of strong names there.

"And then I think having guys who can complement that with some of the young names coming through, there's certainly the makings of what good teams are about.

"It's a big club, and I'm looking forward to building that momentum and getting the Members along and talking to the players about actually enjoying that momentum.

"I've experienced it at a big club here in the NRL and once you get that momentum behind you and the fans are in the stadium and coming along for the ride, there's no better feeling."

Game on.
Didn't he have a NFL coaches motto behind him during the interview ........... :roll

From memory wasn't it Belichick ......mental toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it isn't the right thing for you .......

Post by 851 » Mon 19 Nov, 2018 7:42 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 19 Nov, 2018 7:11 pm
willow wrote:
Author - Dan Talintyre

"It always is," he said.

Full stop. Game on.

Game on.
Didn't he have a NFL coaches motto behind him during the interview ........... :roll

From memory wasn't it Belichick ......mental toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it isn't the right thing for you .......
This can only be a good thing, we have been mentally weak pretty much our whole existence, time for a change
Go hard or go home

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 19 Nov, 2018 7:57 pm

[/quote]

[/quote]

That's a great motto, sounds like Lawrence's outlook.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 19 Nov, 2018 7:58 pm

851 wrote:
Mon 19 Nov, 2018 7:42 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 19 Nov, 2018 7:11 pm
willow wrote:
Author - Dan Talintyre

"It always is," he said.

Full stop. Game on.

Game on.

This can only be a good thing, we have been mentally weak pretty much our whole existence, time for a change
Just the no catch cries , no mottos, no talk of buses

I can't find it now , maybe it was behind Pascoe when he was questioned .....

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Mon 19 Nov, 2018 8:42 pm

Love it! Very positive and a subtle but substantial dig at the pink panther - no talk of a rebuild; no mottos or buses!! Game on!
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Mon 19 Nov, 2018 9:05 pm

Game on :sign:
No more plodders!
:sign:

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 19 Nov, 2018 9:10 pm

I love how he has talked about immediate success. No rebuild talk.
He's talking the talk which means nothing really but it's still more than the last 3 did.

cqtiger

Post by cqtiger » Mon 19 Nov, 2018 10:00 pm

I liked it when Maguire said we had to have good defense to be successful.

I’ll hand it to Cleary, he has been the only coach to get real improvement in our defensive game - even if it was for only half a season.

Let’s hope Maguire can get the same defensive output from them.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Mon 19 Nov, 2018 10:14 pm

gallagher wrote:
Mon 19 Nov, 2018 9:10 pm
He's talking the talk which means nothing really but it's still more than the last 3 did.
Definitely talking the talk. Let's hope the players respond to the talk.
No more plodders!
:sign:

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 19 Nov, 2018 10:20 pm

WT2K wrote:
Mon 19 Nov, 2018 10:14 pm
gallagher wrote:
Mon 19 Nov, 2018 9:10 pm
Definitely talking the talk. Let's hope the players respond to the talk.
The good ones will.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 19 Nov, 2018 11:48 pm

Yeah but it's what you would want to hear...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen