Sharks v Wests Tigers preview

Unread post by willow » Wed 19 Aug, 2015 8:51 pm

Sharks v Wests Tigers preview

Wed 19 Aug, 2015, 3:30pm
By Jack Brady, National Correspondent, NRL.com

Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks v Wests Tigers preview
Remondis Stadium
Saturday 3pm

The Sharks and Wests Tigers crashed back to earth last week and will be looking to make amends on Saturday afternoon.

While the Tigers were perhaps unlucky not to get the chocolates against fellow cellar-dwellers Newcastle, the Sharks had no answers for Melbourne – who led by Will Chambers and Cooper Cronk dismantled Cronulla by 28 points.

Before Round 23 the Sharks had won seven of their past eight games, while Jason Taylor's men were chasing their third-straight win. Now they're both back to square one.

Sam Tagataese's return from suspension means Matt Prior – who will run out for his 150th NRL game – will take the injured Ben Barba's spot on the bench.

The Tigers will welcome back Chris Lawrence and Marty Taupau as well in what is also James Tedesco's 50th NRL game.

Watch out Sharks: With Aaron Woods (knee) and Dene Halatau (concussion) failing to finish the game against Newcastle, it gave bench players Ava Seumanufagai, Kyle Lovett and Jack Buchanan a chance to shine. Between them they produced 32 per cent of the Tigers' tackles and a further 21.6 per cent of their runs.

Watch out Wests Tigers: With bench utility Barba set to sit in the casualty ward for at least the next fortnight, the Sharks' back three in Michael Gordon, Sosaia Feki and Valentine Holmes should take ownership of the backline and may look to assert themselves in the contest.

Key Match-Up: Michael Ennis v Robbie Farah: Long-term foes on the paddock, Ennis and Farah are sure to add another memorable chapter to their storied rivalry. While Farah worked his way to becoming New South Wales' first-choice hooker a long time ago, it's fair to say that Ennis has been the better player this year. That's not to say Farah's shoulder and hand injuries haven't helped his cause but the stats don't lie either. In 2015 Ennis has produced the equal-seventh most try assists (14) as he's become the focal point of Cronulla's attack.

The History: Played 25; Sharks 7, Tigers 17, Drawn 1. The Tigers have managed to rack up quite a one-sided history when playing Cronulla. Since 2004, the Sharks have beaten their upcoming opponents just three times in 18 meetings. Two of them came in 2013. Before that their last victory was way back in 2008 – where names like Misi Taulapapa, Frasier Anderson and Daine Laurie were still running around in the NRL.

What are the Odds: Not even the big price has been enough to entice punters to back the Tigers against the Sharks. Sportsbet has been inundated by Cronulla 13-plus bets ever since the market opened. Latest odds at Sportsbet.com.au

Match Officials: Referee: Grant Atkins. Assistant Referee: Matt Noyen. Sideline Officials: Russell Turner and Anthony Eliott. Video Referees: Ashley Klein and Daniel Irvine.

Televised: Fox Sports 1 (Live) – 3:00pm

The Way We See It: With history dictating the Tigers will run away with the game, the Sharks need to prove they are legitimate finals contenders. With a side including Paul Gallen, Luke Lewis and Wade Graham – and considering the Tigers' inexperience – the Sharks should do their finals quest no harm. Sharks by 8.

cktiger
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by cktiger » Wed 19 Aug, 2015 8:54 pm

Tigers 13+

Eye Of Da Tiger

Unread post by Eye Of Da Tiger » Thu 20 Aug, 2015 12:46 am

Agree with CK

Newtown
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Newtown » Thu 20 Aug, 2015 9:36 am

The result may depend upon whether Farah, Woods, Halatau and Naquima are fit to play.

Tigermama

Unread post by Tigermama » Thu 20 Aug, 2015 10:02 am

Oh My Gawd!!! Who do i tip ? :shock: I'm coming second in the work comp. :)

westTAHger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by westTAHger » Thu 20 Aug, 2015 10:24 am

The sharks are a top 8 team for a reason. They have been playing well for majority of season, and are able to close out games. At the moment wests-tigers are not.

To be honest, I am expecting that the sharks bounce back from their effort on Monday night, and grind out a win against wests-tigers.
If they are to be any threat in the finals, the sharks, should beat teams who are lower placed than them on the ladder.

I do hope that I'm wrong, :pray: and wests-tigers win. Only time will tell.
:sign: once a sprite in black and white.
now I am bold, in black, white and gold

" Hell and heaven, they can wait for you,
So go and do all the things that you want to do ".

From the Stereophonics song " C'est La Vie

barra
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by barra » Thu 20 Aug, 2015 1:46 pm

One of my fondest memories is being there to watch Benji rip them apart with a bunch of sharkies mates. I hope Tedesco can do the same! We're certainly in with a show as long as injuries don't change the announced team.

The Sharks will come out pumped for the home crowd on a Saturday arvo but might fall away if we can keep the pressure on. As the article says, Robbie will be giving the Grub plenty of attention.

TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 60 times

Unread post by TrueTiger » Thu 20 Aug, 2015 1:53 pm

with Rowdy and Marty back,Im sure the rest will perform well against the sharkies...They have said they want to finish the season well,this is a good game to start on...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

tig_prmz
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by tig_prmz » Thu 20 Aug, 2015 6:08 pm

i think we'll win this
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai