Luke Brooks & today's performance

TIGER
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times

Re: Luke Brooks & today's performance

Unread post by TIGER » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 9:01 pm

So how long do we persist with Brooks until everyone realises he's never going to be the player they all wished and hoped he would, 5 years? Can we afford to finish 10th to spoon on the ladder wishing hoping and praying for 5 years for our great hope to reach potential? And if after 5 years he hasn't then what? Wait another 5 for the next one? WE NEED TO START LOOKING FOR A HALFBACK NOW!!!!!!!

Milky
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by Milky » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 9:10 pm

TIGER wrote:So how long do we persist with Brooks until everyone realises he's never going to be the player they all wished and hoped he would, 5 years? Can we afford to finish 10th to spoon on the ladder wishing hoping and praying for 5 years for our great hope to reach potential? And if after 5 years he hasn't then what? Wait another 5 for the next one? WE NEED TO START LOOKING FOR A HALFBACK NOW!!!!!!!
Letting go of Martin basically says that Brooks will be in firsts for the next few years. We don't even have the money to look elsewhere.

Brooks stayed loyal to us and we should show loyalty back by giving him a go.

Magpie Magic
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Magpie Magic » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 9:14 pm

Truth is like others have said Brooks is only average and Moses isn't much better but the combination between them and Farah and Taylor's tactics are a total failure.

Brooks played better under Potter and funny so did teddy even higher than this and Brooks played his best when partnered by Marshal 1 game and Anasta a few decent games.

So we needed to partner Brooks and or Moses with quality experience with a good kicking game.

Our simple plays and few offloads unlike under Sheens and Potter make the young halves sitting ducks.

Tigermama

Unread post by Tigermama » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 9:17 pm

greatodensraven wrote:
pHyR3 wrote:
greatodensraven wrote:
Tigerheart_returns wrote:This game was there for the taking - for everyone else except us, I'm afraid.

Couldn't agree more. As was last week v the Knights. Hang on to the ball, run straight & hard, defend with aggression & I reckon we would've come away with this one.

Brooks must be so low on confidence atm. Sue, Woods, Robbie, Ava, Nofo & Patty were all very disappointing. I don't know how we're going to turn this around for next week but surely just focussing on playing simple footy would be an improvement. No point pushing a pass if the receiver is in a worse position than you or if we're working it out from our own half, etc.

Our boys just didn't look interested from the kick-off onwards. Very disappointing.
sounds exactly like what JT tried to do for a good 15-20 weeks. lay a platform for the boys to fall back on, simply footy. then build up to playing some expansive attacking stuff.

souths do this very well. they play simple when they want to grind and bring out the flashy stuff when needed. but you can't turn a rabble into that over night, have to build up to there which is what I think JT was aiming to do.
I don't want us to go back to 5 x one-out hit-ups & then a mid-field bomb, besides I don't think we have the pack to do this effectively. I'm just looking for our boys to run the ball hard & straight, with support, respect possession & please show some aggression/line-speed in defence.

Showing some intensity wouldn't hurt either. We really didn't want to win today, that was clear from the kick-off. Simona's run with 15 seconds to go was our best for the day.
Well said Raven. It was a terrible display of so called first grade footy. I'm sure a lot of the boys are carrying injuries, but that's not an excuse. Teddy tried his best as did Kevin and
Kapow.
Neither our halves or our forwards stood up today....Oh well, that's been the case all season :bawling So over it...

Tigermama

Unread post by Tigermama » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 9:26 pm

Eye Of Da Tiger wrote:No good pointing the finger at Brooks. He was just one of several bad players today. They looked poorly prepared, the rotation was all wrong and the game plan was God knows what?.
Makes you wonder what JT and the boys been up to all week, if not preparing for this game???
The warm conditions might have been a factor, but the Sharks seemed to handle it very well.
What's wrong with us :shock:

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 204 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 9:39 pm

TIGER wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:He's never going to be a superstar, but him being a seasoned first grader playing somewhere between 200-250 games isn't out of the question.
And i wouldn't put Cronk in the superstar category but if you think Brooks is going to be a Cronk your delusional, we don't need a 200 game average first grade half we need someone consistently above average or we finish 10th to 14th every year, it's that simple.
Yeah, i don't remember comparing Brooks to Cronk. I was thinking more the Wallace/Mullen category.

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 204 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 9:41 pm

Milky wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:He's never going to be a superstar, but him being a seasoned first grader playing somewhere between 200-250 games isn't out of the question.
Try saying that to Daly Cherry Evans who wasn't even known until he was 22 years old. How about Ben Hunt who is now 25 and only became a big name last season.

Everyone will mature at their own pace, Brooks would still be eligible for 20's if he was born a week later. It's hard while you don't have an experienced half guiding you, it will take time but i wouldn't rule him out as a Superstar of the game.

Tedesco took a few seasons to reach the heights he is currently at, remember everyone calling for his head? Yeah me too.
I actually don't remember.

jirskyr
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 133 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 10:52 pm

I for one am sick of seeing him cover defend without actually tackling or stopping anyone. At least 10 times this year Brooks has been fast enough to follow the linebreak (esp if he caused it), without actually doing anything to stop the play.

Today's try to Holmes just reminded me of that stupid Don try at Leichhardt, where Brooks shadowed the ball the whole way and never laid a glove on anyone.

These lads have to start learning to straighten the play and pass the ball out in front of the attacker. I watched the Cowboys game afterwards, I know Thurston is a great footballer and tough to emulate, but he is so selective and well timed with his passes and kicks, even though he's physically not much of a threat any more.

So many of our passes are behind the player, killing momentum. And when they do decide to take on the line, it's clearly not in the structure because they end up running back into their own players.

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 11:01 pm

Russell wrote:Still can't do anything if the forwards get dominated.

Even more so if you give away cheap penalties and drop the ball etc.

What do you expect the halves to do?
Moses played behind the same pack. If you can't spot the difference let us know and I'll be happy to explain it to you.

bigsiro
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by bigsiro » Sun 23 Aug, 2015 12:53 am

Milky wrote:
TIGER wrote:So how long do we persist with Brooks until everyone realises he's never going to be the player they all wished and hoped he would, 5 years? Can we afford to finish 10th to spoon on the ladder wishing hoping and praying for 5 years for our great hope to reach potential? And if after 5 years he hasn't then what? Wait another 5 for the next one? WE NEED TO START LOOKING FOR A HALFBACK NOW!!!!!!!
Letting go of Martin basically says that Brooks will be in firsts for the next few years. We don't even have the money to look elsewhere.

Nup thats not how it works. Gotta treat this like a business. His loyalty is meaningless unless he is up to standard. This is a business of performance and results and if you aren't hitting your straps then it's too bad. There is no room for sentimentality I'm afraid.

We need another halfback. I think it's pretty obvious. The loss of Martin is frankly inexplicable. I'd even try Drinkwater for the last few rounds. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

Moh

Unread post by Moh » Sun 23 Aug, 2015 1:03 am

TIGER wrote:One day everyone will wake up to the fact that Brooks is an average player, i harped on for way too long about Benji and now ill continue to do it with Brooks, as i have been since day one. Iv'e never seen anything in him to suggest he's anything special. This club has a habit with persisting with players for way too long in hope they'll live up to their potential, i know Brooks has played in a team dominated most weeks and he's young etc but he hasn't got it. Teddy despite playing in a side beaten most weeks shines every week, he's a superstar. Good players stand out no matter what team they're in.
Brooks isn't one, and the sooner our club realises this the better for our future, this dream of Brooks Moses Teddy has to stop and reality has to take hold.
WE NEED TO LOOK FOR A HALFBACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, so you were wrong about Benji... and now you're going to be wrong about Brooks.

People forget how young Brooks is and how big a role a halfback is. Moses has clearly been assigned the role of chief playmaker over the last few weeks for one, and two it's really hard for a halfback to do anything off some of our packs performances this season.

Brooks WILL be a superstar. It wasn't long ago people were complaining about Moses, look at him now. He has shown glimpses earlier in the season, I have no doubt he will grow in the role with more experience.

Not every kid is an instant superstar.

No better choice than to persist for the moment. Least of our worries.

And please, lets stop comparing Martin with Brooks or Moses, the guy hasn't even played first grade - whats to say he will kick on? Brooks and Moses had just as much hype about them. Martin is a nobody right now, sure he might become a great player - but deciding between those 3 at the moment is just plain stupid, almost impossible to tell who will and won't reach their potential.

Tigerspirit

Unread post by Tigerspirit » Sun 23 Aug, 2015 8:56 am

Moh wrote:
TIGER wrote:One day everyone will wake up to the fact that Brooks is an average player, i harped on for way too long about Benji and now ill continue to do it with Brooks, as i have been since day one. Iv'e never seen anything in him to suggest he's anything special. This club has a habit with persisting with players for way too long in hope they'll live up to their potential, i know Brooks has played in a team dominated most weeks and he's young etc but he hasn't got it. Teddy despite playing in a side beaten most weeks shines every week, he's a superstar. Good players stand out no matter what team they're in.
Brooks isn't one, and the sooner our club realises this the better for our future, this dream of Brooks Moses Teddy has to stop and reality has to take hold.
WE NEED TO LOOK FOR A HALFBACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok, so you were wrong about Benji... and now you're going to be wrong about Brooks.

People forget how young Brooks is and how big a role a halfback is. Moses has clearly been assigned the role of chief playmaker over the last few weeks for one, and two it's really hard for a halfback to do anything off some of our packs performances this season.

Brooks WILL be a superstar. It wasn't long ago people were complaining about Moses, look at him now. He has shown glimpses earlier in the season, I have no doubt he will grow in the role with more experience.

Not every kid is an instant superstar.

No better choice than to persist for the moment. Least of our worries.

And please, lets stop comparing Martin with Brooks or Moses, the guy hasn't even played first grade - whats to say he will kick on? Brooks and Moses had just as much hype about them. Martin is a nobody right now, sure he might become a great player - but deciding between those 3 at the moment is just plain stupid, almost impossible to tell who will and won't reach their potential.
Agree... Eapecially about Marshall, you would have to be a dope not to see he was a stand out player...
All you dopes targeting brooks??
Put him behind a souths, dogs, roosters pack and see what you get????

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

bigsiro
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by bigsiro » Sun 23 Aug, 2015 9:44 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Milky wrote:
Try saying that to Daly Cherry Evans who wasn't even known until he was 22 years old. How about Ben Hunt who is now 25 and only became a big name last season.

Everyone will mature at their own pace, Brooks would still be eligible for 20's if he was born a week later. It's hard while you don't have an experienced half guiding you, it will take time but i wouldn't rule him out as a Superstar of the game.

Tedesco took a few seasons to reach the heights he is currently at, remember everyone calling for his head? Yeah me too.
I actually don't remember.
Neither. Tedesco was clearly awesome from day dot.
And as far as comparing him to Cherry Evans; Brooks will be 22 this year and is nowhere near that standard.
He is not even established as a "good" player and you think he is set for superstardom. Talk about rose coloured glasses.....

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

Russell
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 126 times

Unread post by Russell » Sun 23 Aug, 2015 10:02 am

bigsiro wrote:
Milky wrote:

Nup thats not how it works. Gotta treat this like a business. His loyalty is meaningless unless he is up to standard. This is a business of performance and results and if you aren't hitting your straps then it's too bad. There is no room for sentimentality I'm afraid.

We need another halfback. I think it's pretty obvious. The loss of Martin is frankly inexplicable. I'd even try Drinkwater for the last few rounds. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
Your kiddin' aren't you. What the hell do you think Martin was going to do. He is at least 2 years behind Brooks, if he makes it at all.
In addition he couldn't tackle his way out of a we paper bag.

Why try Drinkwater when he is leaving in two rounds - that'll help us.

Russell
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 126 times

Unread post by Russell » Sun 23 Aug, 2015 10:05 am

stryker wrote:
Russell wrote:Still can't do anything if the forwards get dominated.

Even more so if you give away cheap penalties and drop the ball etc.

What do you expect the halves to do?
Moses played behind the same pack. If you can't spot the difference let us know and I'll be happy to explain it to you.
You don't need to explain anything. I know the answer.

Moses was / is / and always will be a better player than Brooks.
They do play a different game though.

However please tell me a game in living memory that the halves ran riot when their forwards were totally dominated.

Pawsandclaws
Been liked: 59 times

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Sun 23 Aug, 2015 10:06 am

Moses and Brooks have had to do their learning in the NRL. Martin has had the luxury of playing a significant number of NYC games. I think Brooks and Moses have done well this year and will be different next year.

hybrid_tiger

Unread post by hybrid_tiger » Mon 24 Aug, 2015 8:02 am

Moh wrote: Brooks WILL be a superstar.
This is the exact problem right here. There is no guarantee of this.

bigsiro
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by bigsiro » Mon 24 Aug, 2015 11:04 am

Geez I had no idea Drinkwater was leaving. Bummer! So I see your point there.
But if you think Brooks is two years better than Martin then we aren't watching the same game. FYI Brooks can't tackle either!

I actually think we only need a solid halfback to be the foil for Moses. Doesn't have to set the world on fire. Need a solid kicking game, steer the team round effectively, reliable tackling and playing percentage footy. Leave the creativity for the 5/8. Look at Mitchell Pearce, Hodkinson and Wallace, some of the most boring 1-dimensional and predictable halfbacks in the comp but they do those things well and it has made them valuable assets.

Someone else said it on here after Brooks was on the Sterlo show: "like a deer in the headlights". I think that was spot on. Age has nothing to do with it, it's a mentality thing and he needs to assume leadership like every good halfback.
Reality is that he is not going to be dropped but surely he cannot afford to repeat this in 2016 or he will be punted early.

Return to “Round 24: Wests Tigers vs Cronulla Sharks”