Luke Brooks & today's performance

Tigerheart_returns
Member
Member
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon 18 May, 2015 7:48 am

Luke Brooks & today's performance

Unread post by Tigerheart_returns » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 5:28 pm

He look like a fish out of water, honestly...I felt sorry on that last gummies try, it summed up when he was trying to defend from people coming at him from every angle...

Today, though, I felt Tedesco and Moses really put in. Niguama was willing, but the rest, and in particular our forwards, were man-handled all over the park...Except for Tapau, who once again showed the simplicity of forward play - tuck it under the arm and run straight and hard. Our pack must think they are Arthur Beetson's..not to mention this ingrained practice of trying to step / spin every time they hit the line..

This game was there for the taking - for everyone else except us, I'm afraid.


User avatar
greatodensraven
Member
Member
Posts: 1963
Joined: Sat 15 Dec, 2012 7:11 pm
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by greatodensraven » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 5:35 pm

Tigerheart_returns wrote:This game was there for the taking - for everyone else except us, I'm afraid.

Couldn't agree more. As was last week v the Knights. Hang on to the ball, run straight & hard, defend with aggression & I reckon we would've come away with this one.

Brooks must be so low on confidence atm. Sue, Woods, Robbie, Ava, Nofo & Patty were all very disappointing. I don't know how we're going to turn this around for next week but surely just focussing on playing simple footy would be an improvement. No point pushing a pass if the receiver is in a worse position than you or if we're working it out from our own half, etc.

Our boys just didn't look interested from the kick-off onwards. Very disappointing.

User avatar
pHyR3
Member
Member
Posts: 5030
Joined: Tue 12 Feb, 2013 7:11 pm

Unread post by pHyR3 » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 5:38 pm

greatodensraven wrote:
Tigerheart_returns wrote:This game was there for the taking - for everyone else except us, I'm afraid.

Couldn't agree more. As was last week v the Knights. Hang on to the ball, run straight & hard, defend with aggression & I reckon we would've come away with this one.

Brooks must be so low on confidence atm. Sue, Woods, Robbie, Ava, Nofo & Patty were all very disappointing. I don't know how we're going to turn this around for next week but surely just focussing on playing simple footy would be an improvement. No point pushing a pass if the receiver is in a worse position than you or if we're working it out from our own half, etc.

Our boys just didn't look interested from the kick-off onwards. Very disappointing.
sounds exactly like what JT tried to do for a good 15-20 weeks. lay a platform for the boys to fall back on, simply footy. then build up to playing some expansive attacking stuff.

souths do this very well. they play simple when they want to grind and bring out the flashy stuff when needed. but you can't turn a rabble into that over night, have to build up to there which is what I think JT was aiming to do.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

User avatar
greatodensraven
Member
Member
Posts: 1963
Joined: Sat 15 Dec, 2012 7:11 pm
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by greatodensraven » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 5:46 pm

pHyR3 wrote:
greatodensraven wrote:
Tigerheart_returns wrote:This game was there for the taking - for everyone else except us, I'm afraid.

Couldn't agree more. As was last week v the Knights. Hang on to the ball, run straight & hard, defend with aggression & I reckon we would've come away with this one.

Brooks must be so low on confidence atm. Sue, Woods, Robbie, Ava, Nofo & Patty were all very disappointing. I don't know how we're going to turn this around for next week but surely just focussing on playing simple footy would be an improvement. No point pushing a pass if the receiver is in a worse position than you or if we're working it out from our own half, etc.

Our boys just didn't look interested from the kick-off onwards. Very disappointing.
sounds exactly like what JT tried to do for a good 15-20 weeks. lay a platform for the boys to fall back on, simply footy. then build up to playing some expansive attacking stuff.

souths do this very well. they play simple when they want to grind and bring out the flashy stuff when needed. but you can't turn a rabble into that over night, have to build up to there which is what I think JT was aiming to do.
I don't want us to go back to 5 x one-out hit-ups & then a mid-field bomb, besides I don't think we have the pack to do this effectively. I'm just looking for our boys to run the ball hard & straight, with support, respect possession & please show some aggression/line-speed in defence.

Showing some intensity wouldn't hurt either. We really didn't want to win today, that was clear from the kick-off. Simona's run with 15 seconds to go was our best for the day.

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5461
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 66 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 6:41 pm

pHyR3 wrote:
greatodensraven wrote:
Tigerheart_returns wrote:This game was there for the taking - for everyone else except us, I'm afraid.

Couldn't agree more. As was last week v the Knights. Hang on to the ball, run straight & hard, defend with aggression & I reckon we would've come away with this one.

Brooks must be so low on confidence atm. Sue, Woods, Robbie, Ava, Nofo & Patty were all very disappointing. I don't know how we're going to turn this around for next week but surely just focussing on playing simple footy would be an improvement. No point pushing a pass if the receiver is in a worse position than you or if we're working it out from our own half, etc.

Our boys just didn't look interested from the kick-off onwards. Very disappointing.
sounds exactly like what JT tried to do for a good 15-20 weeks. lay a platform for the boys to fall back on, simply footy. then build up to playing some expansive attacking stuff.

souths do this very well. they play simple when they want to grind and bring out the flashy stuff when needed. but you can't turn a rabble into that over night, have to build up to there which is what I think JT was aiming to do.
Looks like it can't be done over 300 or so nights either.. Lol


User avatar
Eye Of Da Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2017
Joined: Wed 16 Jan, 2013 10:49 pm

Unread post by Eye Of Da Tiger » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 7:36 pm

No good pointing the finger at Brooks. He was just one of several bad players today. They looked poorly prepared, the rotation was all wrong and the game plan was God knows what?.

Snake
Member
Member
Posts: 4371
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 5:37 pm
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 61 times

Unread post by Snake » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 7:39 pm

The clock is ticking for Brooks if he has an injury that could be a factor but realistically for all the hype the young man is not showing the dominance that he should be ..There are a few younger halves around that are showing a lot more dominance at the present time . Next year is the big year make or break IMO.

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 3280
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 126 times

Unread post by Russell » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 7:42 pm

Still can't do anything if the forwards get dominated.

Even more so if you give away cheap penalties and drop the ball etc.

What do you expect the halves to do?

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3199
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm
Has liked: 231 times
Been liked: 76 times

Unread post by formerguest » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 7:57 pm

Tigerheart_returns wrote:He look like a fish out of water, honestly...I felt sorry on that last gummies try, it summed up when he was trying to defend from people coming at him from every angle...

Today, though, I felt Tedesco and Moses really put in. Niguama was willing, but the rest, and in particular our forwards, were man-handled all over the park...Except for Tapau, who once again showed the simplicity of forward play - tuck it under the arm and run straight and hard. Our pack must think they are Arthur Beetson's..not to mention this ingrained practice of trying to step / spin every time they hit the line..

This game was there for the taking - for everyone else except us, I'm afraid.
Beetson's huh, funny that you singled out Marty for praise as he was by far the worst offender, until he finally tucked it under and whamo, he scores.

Brooks is certainly not on song.

king sirro
Member
Member
Posts: 5513
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 9:39 am
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Unread post by king sirro » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 7:59 pm

Nofo was an embarassment
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Tigerheart_returns
Member
Member
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon 18 May, 2015 7:48 am

Unread post by Tigerheart_returns » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 8:03 pm

I would say that if we compare Moses and Brooks side by side, my money is on Moses to become a better player, whereas Brooks, to my mind, is looking more and more like a John Morris type of player ... and I don't know if it is because our style of play. Certainly not doubting commitment or skills ...

Tigerheart_returns
Member
Member
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon 18 May, 2015 7:48 am

Unread post by Tigerheart_returns » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 8:06 pm

formerguest wrote:
Tigerheart_returns wrote:He look like a fish out of water, honestly...I felt sorry on that last gummies try, it summed up when he was trying to defend from people coming at him from every angle...

Today, though, I felt Tedesco and Moses really put in. Niguama was willing, but the rest, and in particular our forwards, were man-handled all over the park...Except for Tapau, who once again showed the simplicity of forward play - tuck it under the arm and run straight and hard. Our pack must think they are Arthur Beetson's..not to mention this ingrained practice of trying to step / spin every time they hit the line..

This game was there for the taking - for everyone else except us, I'm afraid.
Beetson's huh, funny that you singled out Marty for praise as he was by far the worst offender, until he finally tucked it under and whamo, he scores.

Really? Plenty of people had Marty in the 3-2-1 points, but you have a right to think otherwise ...

Brooks is certainly not on song.
That has been the case for some time, I'm afraid.

tsjonathan
Member
Member
Posts: 1649
Joined: Sun 21 Mar, 2010 6:04 pm
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by tsjonathan » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 8:18 pm

What if it was:

1. Tedesco
6. Martin
7. Moses
9. Cherrington

Oh wait never mind. .. :brick:

User avatar
TIGER
Member
Member
Posts: 2406
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:40 am
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by TIGER » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 8:42 pm

One day everyone will wake up to the fact that Brooks is an average player, i harped on for way too long about Benji and now ill continue to do it with Brooks, as i have been since day one. Iv'e never seen anything in him to suggest he's anything special. This club has a habit with persisting with players for way too long in hope they'll live up to their potential, i know Brooks has played in a team dominated most weeks and he's young etc but he hasn't got it. Teddy despite playing in a side beaten most weeks shines every week, he's a superstar. Good players stand out no matter what team they're in.
Brooks isn't one, and the sooner our club realises this the better for our future, this dream of Brooks Moses Teddy has to stop and reality has to take hold.
WE NEED TO LOOK FOR A HALFBACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 18812
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 204 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 8:46 pm

He's never going to be a superstar, but him being a seasoned first grader playing somewhere between 200-250 games isn't out of the question.

User avatar
Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 25166
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW.
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 395 times

Unread post by Geo. » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 8:47 pm

Reminds me of Ben Hunt when he first came to FG...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

User avatar
Milky
Member
Member
Posts: 5092
Joined: Fri 29 Mar, 2013 7:08 pm
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by Milky » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 8:54 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:He's never going to be a superstar, but him being a seasoned first grader playing somewhere between 200-250 games isn't out of the question.
Try saying that to Daly Cherry Evans who wasn't even known until he was 22 years old. How about Ben Hunt who is now 25 and only became a big name last season.

Everyone will mature at their own pace, Brooks would still be eligible for 20's if he was born a week later. It's hard while you don't have an experienced half guiding you, it will take time but i wouldn't rule him out as a Superstar of the game.

Tedesco took a few seasons to reach the heights he is currently at, remember everyone calling for his head? Yeah me too.

User avatar
TIGER
Member
Member
Posts: 2406
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:40 am
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by TIGER » Sat 22 Aug, 2015 8:54 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:He's never going to be a superstar, but him being a seasoned first grader playing somewhere between 200-250 games isn't out of the question.
And i wouldn't put Cronk in the superstar category but if you think Brooks is going to be a Cronk your delusional, we don't need a 200 game average first grade half we need someone consistently above average or we finish 10th to 14th every year, it's that simple.

Post Reply

Return to “Round 24: Wests Tigers vs Cronulla Sharks”