Using Sironen

Post Reply
fergiefurr
Member
Member
Posts: 2920
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Using Sironen

Post by fergiefurr » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 3:08 pm

The last couple of weeks and in particular yesterday Ive noticed that Sironen has had more of a roving commission which has really helped his game. He is never going to be a Ryan Hoffman type guy that gets late ball running those hard lines in a 10m corridor, like Taylor has had him playing most of the year. Yesterday he was going from left to right and even in the center of the field. Looking for the ball, bobbing up and being another play making option. Dare I saw similar to how SBW was used at the Roosters.

If he is allowed to continue playing like this I can only seeing it benefiting him and our team, hopefully this will be his role from now on.


greatodensraven
Member
Member
Posts: 2180
Joined: Sat 15 Dec, 2012 7:11 pm

Post by greatodensraven » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 3:24 pm

fergiefurr wrote:The last couple of weeks and in particular yesterday Ive noticed that Sironen has had more of a roving commission which has really helped his game. He is never going to be a Ryan Hoffman type guy that gets late ball running those hard lines in a 10m corridor, like Taylor has had him playing most of the year. Yesterday he was going from left to right and even in the center of the field. Looking for the ball, bobbing up and being another play making option. Dare I saw similar to how SBW was used at the Roosters.

If he is allowed to continue playing like this I can only seeing it benefiting him and our team, hopefully this will be his role from now on.
Love the role Siro has been playing lately, really compliments Marty's power play. He has also been strong in defence. Nice to see him ending the year well.

batboy
Member
Member
Posts: 1367
Joined: Mon 27 Sep, 2010 2:02 pm

Post by batboy » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 4:32 pm

Gus Gould said a while back that Sironen is a far better footballer than Wests are giving him credit for...
Also said he wasn't sure he was being used correctly.

Maybe next year with the limiting of interchange there will be a call for a roving lock... '
One thing is for sure, Siro is hitting his straps.
He's been used this year and the back of last as an 80 minute Back Rower, (No secret, it was probably before his time) But next year, With the form he's finishing this year and a full pre season I think we'll see another step up from the Sizzla....

Correct me if I'm wrong, But didn't he just turn 22?

larrycorowa
Member
Member
Posts: 2121
Joined: Fri 19 Feb, 2010 1:47 pm

Post by larrycorowa » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 4:39 pm

He is developing nicely and has made a real difference to our edge defence since he returned from injury. Could be massive next year with a bit of luck with injury.

stevetiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5111
Joined: Mon 25 Feb, 2013 7:59 am

Post by stevetiger » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 7:03 pm

His defence appears to be really coming on doesn't it. I wonder if he needs a set spot in the team or a roving role. He was good yesterday.


Tigerdon
Member
Member
Posts: 4139
Joined: Mon 07 Apr, 2014 11:07 am
Location: Manly

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 7:03 pm

he has good hands a can play creatively. It been Lawerence's roll of late to do the crash ball running
in Ivan we distrust

Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 3259
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm

Post by Pawsandclaws » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 7:11 pm

batboy wrote:Gus Gould said a while back that Sironen is a far better footballer than Wests are giving him credit for...
Also said he wasn't sure he was being used correctly.
That's correct and he also said Sironen being so skilful should be able to have the flexibility of being utilised across the field.

Gould was also highly critical of Taylor not allowing the young halves to play their natural games.

batboy
Member
Member
Posts: 1367
Joined: Mon 27 Sep, 2010 2:02 pm

Post by batboy » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 8:27 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
batboy wrote:Gus Gould said a while back that Sironen is a far better footballer than Wests are giving him credit for...
Also said he wasn't sure he was being used correctly.
That's correct and he also said Sironen being so skilful should be able to have the flexibility of being utilised across the field.

Gould was also highly critical of Taylor not allowing the young halves to play their natural games.
Much like the panthers are using Peachey...
He's popping up everywhere!!

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6163
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 9:56 pm

Siro still fades in and out of games, but he's a threat in attack and defence when switched on.

I've been watching his defence closely this year, he really makes some bruising tackles. I don't really mean highlight-reel shots, but his timing can be very good, and he's made a good number of ball runners dusty from putting clean shots on their torso. He's also quite strong in a 1-1 tackle, I think physically he is still improving.

User avatar
Tbone
Member
Member
Posts: 1093
Joined: Mon 04 Jul, 2011 5:07 pm

Post by Tbone » Tue 01 Sep, 2015 6:37 am

Siro looks like he's packed on some size and strength. He's really man-handled a few blokes in the last month or so. I wonder what he's weighing in at these days. He must be closing in on 110kg. Debuted in the high 90s from memory.

Post Reply