Gareth Widdop to miss Tigers clash after suffering a quad injury

willow
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 61 times

Unread post by willow » Wed 02 Sep, 2015 9:10 pm

ST GEORGE-Illawarra’s finals campaign has been thrown into chaos with star five-eighth Gareth Widdop suffering a potentially serious quad injury.

Widdop is considered little hope of being fit for the Dragons crucial final round clash against the Wests Tigers on Saturday with genuine fears he could miss the rest of the season if the injury fails to respond to around-the-clock treatment.

The English international suffered the injury last weekend during the Dragons shock defeat to the Gold Coast Titans.

Widdop failed to complain about his quad in the hours after the match, with the severity of the injury only surfacing on Tuesday following a routine fitness session.

At a minimum, Widdop is expected to miss the next two weeks of football.

However, if Widdop requires an operation, he would join a star-studded list of casualties who have been ruled out for the remainder of the season including Canterbury’s Trent Hodkinson, Sydney Roosters prop Jared Warea-Hargreaves, Melbourne Storm ace Billy Slater and Brisbane’s Josh McGuire.

Injured Roosters playmaker Mitchell Pearce and South Sydney’s gun fullback Greg Inglis are also in doubt for week one of the finals.

The Dragons disappointing loss to the Titans has left them clinging to eighth position on the NRL ladder, two points ahead of Manly.

Another loss against the Tigers on Saturday would result in Paul McGregor’s Dragons outfit relying on results going their way to guarantee a finals berth.

Defeat for the Dragons would also open the smallest of windows for Manly to secure an unlikely eighth spot.

Rookie half Drew Hutchinson is the obvious replacement for Widdop.

But the loss of Widdop is a devastating blow for the Dragons with the playmaker one of only two players at the club to have featured in all 23 of the club’s matches this season.

He is also St George-Illawarra’s first-choice goal-kicker and leading tryscorer this season.

Widdop landed five goals while he also scored a try against the Titans last Sunday.

St George-Illawarra officials are expected to confirm the severity of Widdop’s injury today.

Tigerdon
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Wed 02 Sep, 2015 9:23 pm

Bit of bad luck that.
I like Widdop. It's good to have a class English back in the comp.
The Burgess and Graham go well in the fowards. Tompkins has been OK.
Widdop always seems composed . Glad he's not playing against us actual
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Tony33

Unread post by Tony33 » Wed 02 Sep, 2015 9:26 pm

He always seems to carve us up. Glad he isn't playing.

A win against the dragons is always worth more in my books :D
2015 - The Year The Dynasty Began...

Love the WestsTigers
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by Love the WestsTigers » Wed 02 Sep, 2015 9:32 pm

For once some positive news for us before a game
It ALWAYS seems like players are returning from injuries or suspensions against us

And also players who are in doubt seem to be magically fit against us :(

Tigerdon
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Wed 02 Sep, 2015 9:41 pm

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. He'll probably have some sort of amazing recovery
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

willow
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 61 times

Unread post by willow » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 7:32 am

Don't think they'll risk him before the finals. They are guaranteed 8th spot. If we complete our sets I am pretty confident we'll beat them though.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 171 times
Been liked: 266 times

Unread post by Geo. » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 7:35 am

Wait on...there is a game of Footy this weekend... :? :?
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

underdog
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by underdog » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 9:59 am

willow wrote:Don't think they'll risk him before the finals. They are guaranteed 8th spot. If we complete our sets I am pretty confident we'll beat them though.
If we smash the Dragons by 30 and Manly rack up a big win against the Sharks, the Drags are out. Points difference between them is approx 62 by my count.

Our game is first and if we smash the Dragons it will be a nervous wait for them.

Manly won't go down fighting, and the Sharkies are due to drop one before the finals kicks off....

Has to be the only time I'd like to see them smash someone. :mrgreen:

barra
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by barra » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 11:10 am

underdog wrote:
willow wrote:Don't think they'll risk him before the finals. They are guaranteed 8th spot. If we complete our sets I am pretty confident we'll beat them though.
If we smash the Dragons by 30 and Manly rack up a big win against the Sharks, the Drags are out. Points difference between them is approx 62 by my count.

Our game is first and if we smash the Dragons it will be a nervous wait for them.

Manly won't go down fighting, and the Sharkies are due to drop one before the finals kicks off....

Has to be the only time I'd like to see them smash someone. :mrgreen:
And our game follows the Knights/Panthers game, so our team will know how much not to lose by, to avoid the spoon. (Or if a win is needed in the event of a draw).

Thing is, knowing our boys, I'm not sure if that will be motivation or too much pressure for them to handle!

Return to “Round 26: Wests Tigers vs St George Illawarra Dragons”