willow
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 61 times

Farah leading fight against pancreatic cancer

Unread post by willow » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 5:29 pm

Farah leading fight against pancreatic cancer

Dan Talintyre (Twitter: @dantalintyre)
Thu 3rd September, 04:49PM

You’d be forgiven for thinking that come the afternoon of the final game of the year, there’d be a number of things running through the mind of Robbie Farah.

Yet for the 31-year-old, his focus will be on only one thing — honour.

Standing alongside former teammate Benji Marshall at ANZ Stadium on Thursday afternoon, both Farah and Marshall spoke passionately and eloquently about a cause close to the heart of both of them. Teammates for more than 10 years at Wests Tigers before Marshall left to pursue his rugby union dream, the pair were united in their desire to make a long-lasting impact when they face off Saturday, announcing their support for the Purple Our World campaign and the fight against pancreatic cancer that has personally affected them both.

Having lost his mother to the disease in 2012, Farah said he was incredibly proud and humbled to be able to support a cause so close to his heart this weekend.

“I’m really excited and proud that we’ve got this up and running,” he said.

“It’s going to be a great honour for me to pull these socks on and run out on Saturday.

“My mother and his [Benji’s] father suffered because of this disease, so it sends a strong message when we can both stand here today to speak about this.

“Hopefully people can stand up now and take some notice.

“It’s a terrible disease,” he continued. “I don’t think people realise the gravity of it.

"When you are diagnosed with it, you’re next to no hope of surviving.

“I know there are other cruel cancers out there — the list goes on with that — but I think this is one where there’s very little information out there and we need to raise awareness, because by the time you find out about it, you’ve got next to no chance.

“Hopefully we can really open up people’s eyes to how terrible pancreatic cancer is.”

Three years on from his mother’s passing and an iconic day at Leichhardt Oval as Wests Tigers and Sydney Roosters players paused for an emotional moment’s silence, it was clear even just looking back on that time was tough for the Wests Tigers captain.

But what was perhaps most clear was the desire and honour that Sonia had instilled in her son — spurring him on to help support those still suffering with the disease.

“Even being here talking about it is getting me a bit emotional,” Farah reflected.

“I guess it hits very close to home for both of us.

“For me, that day [at Leichhardt Oval] was a difficult one but I’ve also never felt so proud.

"To see the reaction from the boys and the respect from the whole crowd in that minute’s silence was really something that my family and I will never forget.

“It’s been tough to speak about for the first couple of years, but I’ve alwas wanted to get involved and help raise awareness for such a terrible disease,” he continued.

“I remember when I found out my mother was diagnosed with this cancer, I knew the harsh reality of how difficult it was going to be for her and my family.

“That’s what this is all about — to help raise awareness and help someone in the future.

“It’s the least that we can do.”

And so, while Saturday’s game will seemingly carry the storylines of a team desperate to avoid the wooden spoon and a side on the verge of an unlikely top eight finish, for Farah, there’s only one thought that he’ll be thinking about as he prepares to take the field.

“I’ve got no doubt that when I get dressed on Saturday and wear these socks, the thing and person that’s going to be in the forefront of my mind is my mother," he said.

“I’m sure Benji is going to be thinking about his dad as well.

“So to know that we’re playing for them gives me great honour, and it’s a great privilege to represent our parents in this fashion this weekend."

Wests Tigers are encouraging all fans to wear something purple to the game this Saturday against the Dragons and help #PurpleOurWorld to raise awareness for pancreatic cancer.

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 159 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 6:03 pm

The worst kind of cancer you can get (not there is any kind of cancer you want). Hardly ever detected until its too late, my grandmother died from it. Definitely a good cause.

Cultured Bogan
Been liked: 102 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 6:09 pm

Had a PC scare two years ago, had a number of hallmark indicators. Took a few weeks to rule it out.

5 year survival rate is less than 5%.

Don't smoke and don't go mental on red meat.
It's not cruelty if you inject enough amphetamines...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

GNR4LIFE

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 6:12 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:Had a PC scare two years ago, had a number of hallmark indicators. Took a few weeks to rule it out.

I'm a Carnivore :?

Cultured Bogan

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 6:13 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:Had a PC scare two years ago, had a number of hallmark indicators. Took a few weeks to rule it out.

I still am as well, I just don't eat it five days a week any more.

Smoking is the biggest risk factor. My doctor told me the incidence rises by a factor of 0.7. Most pancreatic cancer sufferers he had as patients are smokers.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

GNR4LIFE

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 6:16 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

I still am as well, I just don't eat it five days a week any more.

Smoking is the biggest risk factor. My doctor told me the incidence rises by a factor of 0.7. Most pancreatic cancer sufferers he had as patients are smokers.
Yeah, i don't eat it everyday, maybe 4 or 5 times a week though. Another thing you want to watch out for are kidney stones. My dad got one about a yr ago and the pain he described, i break out in cold sweats just thinking about it. Got to drink plenty of water and go easy on the soft drink.

Cultured Bogan

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 6:26 pm

Yeah I've heard as far as pain goes, passing a kidney stone is as close to as painful as it can get for a bloke.

Interesting bit of trivia, Steve Jobs died from pancreatic cancer. His was a rare treatable form, but being the hippie he was he explored alternative medicine and by the time he had come around to conventional medicine, it was too late as the cancer would have metastasised to his liver.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

westTAHger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by westTAHger » Fri 04 Sep, 2015 8:31 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:Yeah I've heard as far as pain goes, passing a kidney stone is as close to as painful as it can get for a bloke..
Yes quite un comfortable.
Had 2 x kidney stone operations and 1 stent removal operation from march to august in 2014.

Drink plenty of water.

Sadly one of my uncles died of Pancreatic cancer in March, and another in August this year.

Don't lose sight of the fact that " footy" is a game, life is fore-ever.

Make the most of each day, have fun and enjoy yourself.
:sign: once a sprite in black and white.
now I am bold, in black, white and gold

" Hell and heaven, they can wait for you,
So go and do all the things that you want to do ".

From the Stereophonics song " C'est La Vie

Tigerdon
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Fri 04 Sep, 2015 8:49 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:Yeah I've heard as far as pain goes, passing a kidney stone is as close to as painful as it can get for a bloke.

Interesting bit of trivia, Steve Jobs died from pancreatic cancer. His was a rare treatable form, but being the hippie he was he explored alternative medicine and by the time he had come around to conventional medicine, it was too late as the cancer would have metastasised to his liver.
My uncle recently got pancreatic cancer. He went down the conventional medicine route ..didn't help. Not much they can do. The main problem is detecting it before it's too late.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

white_tiger
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by white_tiger » Fri 04 Sep, 2015 2:37 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:The worst kind of cancer you can get (not there is any kind of cancer you want). Hardly ever detected until its too late, my grandmother died from it. Definitely a good cause.
Good on the Club and Robbie for trying to more awareness into this horrible disease. My mother was diagnosed Feb 2104 and she lost her battle only 3 months later. Never smoked, ate like a rabbit, just plain unlucky.

Docs all said the same thing to us that there is simply not enough research funding. So only traditional cancer treatment are available which tend to be mostly ineffective.

GNR4LIFE

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 04 Sep, 2015 2:58 pm

white_tiger wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:The worst kind of cancer you can get (not there is any kind of cancer you want). Hardly ever detected until its too late, my grandmother died from it. Definitely a good cause.
Good on the Club and Robbie for trying to more awareness into this horrible disease. My mother was diagnosed Feb 2104 and she lost her battle only 3 months later. Never smoked, ate like a rabbit, just plain unlucky.

Docs all said the same thing to us that there is simply not enough research funding. So only traditional cancer treatment are available which tend to be mostly ineffective.
Then you get those who smoke and drink all their lives live well into their 80's. It's a game of luck.

Cultured Bogan

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 04 Sep, 2015 3:06 pm

white_tiger wrote:

Becoming more prevalent now, which may suggest one of two things: previously ineffective testing or lifestyle disease.

The wife's nan has never smoked or drank and is as healthy as they come (was a track runner and tennis player,) has had cancer a couple of times. There's no sense in it sometimes.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Return to “Round 26: Wests Tigers vs St George Illawarra Dragons”