10. Edwards
11. Lawrence
12. Halatau
13. Sue

14. Seumanufagai
15. Graham
16. Griffin
17. Cherrington

I know, reduced interchange and all, but every one of our props are capable of big minutes - throw Sue in the mix too - so I think we just roll through the middle and Cherrington can bring the spark. Cheeky and Nofo aren't an exceptional pairing but the former should be defensively capable and Nofo is good under the high ball, so we shouldn't leak points down that edge with Halatau or Lawrence guarding the half. Nofo's an exceptional finisher too so any space that Chee Kam does create he would make the most of.
Naiqama under the high ball is a worry for me, but if that's the only option we leave the opposition then we can do our best to control it. Again, he's a good finisher and has a bit of toe, so he'd thrive outside Timmy and he can definitely hold his own defensively.
Lawrence and Halatau can be excellent defenders and both run a good line, so they're great two way players. Sirro has to start in NSW Cup for me until he learns to use his size and skill to full effect. I'd like to see Tatola and Felise get a run up a grade so we shouldn't be too short on pigs.
Edwards is basically Galloway 2.0 but with a bit more defensive firepower (not necessarily ability) and a bit less go forward, but starting with Woodsy they should easily manage 10m a run between them with the skipper picking up a bit of slack. Sue is just a machine and is only going to get better as the season goes on.
I think Ava, Dallas and Rod give us a nice variety off the bench depending on how the game is going; Ava has a bit of extra size, Graham with the motor and Griffin with the skill. It's no Pritchard/Kasiano/Eastwood but I think it's a good mix for us with the cattle we've got.
Cherrington can come off the bench when it opens up/to try and open it up and add another attacking dimension, but if he's struggling with the contact or the game just doesn't call for it then Robbie can go straight back out.

Obviously it's not the flashiest side, but it should go a long way to helping us win the battle upfront and give our halves some room to work with. With Teddy and Simona we've got two players who are almost guaranteed to beat the first man each time they touch the ball. Lawrence and Halatau aren't huge but their lines command attention, and I think it would provide the best environment for our young halves to learn how to play NRL, which needs to happen sooner or later.
If the Qld boys get to the right level of fitness, then this bench would be solid. Halatau was good for our young guys last year. Hopefully he's back and ready to go for round two. Sirro will be there for round 1. Also hoping Chee Kam is in the 17, I like his size and energy. I've picked Cherrington on the bench as well.

With the players you have both picked who is going to kick our goals????????? Rankin or Hunt will be one of the wingers.
Living the dream and praying for another premiership

Chadman's Ghost

Unread post by Chadman's Ghost » Tue 09 Feb, 2016 9:09 am

Tiger Watto wrote:
Chadman's Ghost wrote:I don't know how it will shake out for Round 1, but I suspect the 1st choice team, when healthy would look like this:

1. Tedesco

2. Hunt
3. Naiqama
4. Simona
5. Noafaluma

6. Moses
7. Brooks

13. Sue
12. Sironen
11. Lawrence
10. Woods
9. Farah
8. Grant

14. Edwards
15. Chee Kam
16. Cherrington
17. Ava
You are probably right, but picking this team which is virtually the same as last year is my biggest concern.

We were crap in 2015 and if we think we are gona get anything different by changing 1 winger, JT is crazier than I thought.

1. Fix Prop Rotation to be effective while Starting Props are off the pitch.
2. Shut down one-side of the field through hard-arse defensive structure. [I nominate the Right, so we need a defensive style Centre and hardarse backrower who can hit]
3. Dummy-Half MUST take our forwards down the park through the middle, no more sideways crap.
4. Reduce the number of times we go to Teddy. [While he is our most exciting attacking weapon, we need to be patient with how often we use him]
5. No shuffling the defensive structures week to week or during games.

FIRE UP TIGERS!!!
I know I'm in the minority, but I really didn't think the squad was so bad last year.

4 new additions to the team there- Grant virtually replaces Galloway like for like. Hunt, I believe, will upgrade Richards & his slow hit-ups out of our territory. Wingers & their ability to gain quick metres out of our 20 are becoming more important all the time.

When you then replace Santi & Lovett with Chee Kam & Edwards- I see an improvement. A big improvement, really.

It just takes away a lot of those "maybe he'll be ok today" players.

The success of this team will come down to Moses & Brooks this year. Tedesco & Farah- we pretty much know what to expect. But if Brooks & Moses can kick on, then I see some pretty noticable improvement ahead.

Tony33

Unread post by Tony33 » Tue 09 Feb, 2016 2:24 pm

1. Tedesco
2. Naqaima
3. Simona
4. Rankin
5. Nofoaluma
6. Moses
7. Brooks
8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Grant
11. Sironen
12. Lawerence
13. Sue

14. Cherrington
15. Edwards
16. Ava
17. Griffin

Gee that 1-13 could be awesome if everyone consistently plays to somewhere close to their best. If they play to their potential (I.e Bulldogs, Souths games in 2015) for at least 12 games in 2016, I would be confident in a top 8 finish.

The bench suffers as a result of the strong starting forward pack but maybe we can find another Taupau this season in Chee-Kam or Edwards. Either way, Ava is going to have to kick-on and play longer minutes in 2016.
2015 - The Year The Dynasty Began...

king sirro
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 42 times

Unread post by king sirro » Tue 09 Feb, 2016 4:16 pm

I think the round one team is basically locked in. Only issue will be the left wing between Rankin and Hunt.

Littlejohn will be half. Sue lock.

Bench will be Ava, Edwards, Cherrington and Chee Kam
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 66 times

Unread post by formerguest » Tue 09 Feb, 2016 4:36 pm

king sirro wrote:I think the round one team is basically locked in. Only issue will be the left wing between Rankin and Hunt.

Will Edwards be ready for our last trial a couple of weeks before the first round, as I can't see them risking an untried hammy otherwise?

king sirro

Unread post by king sirro » Tue 09 Feb, 2016 5:57 pm

formerguest wrote:
king sirro wrote:I think the round one team is basically locked in. Only issue will be the left wing between Rankin and Hunt.

Will Edwards be ready for our last trial a couple of weeks before the first round, as I can't see them risking an untried hammy otherwise?

I think that's the only other concern. Alioi or Lovett will come in if Edwards isn't ready
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Tigersman

Unread post by Tigersman » Tue 09 Feb, 2016 6:21 pm

1. James Tedesco

2. Justin Hunt
3. Kevin Naiqama
4. Tim Simona
5. David Nofaluma

6. Mitch Moses
7. Luke Brooks

13. Matt Ballin
12. Curtis Sironen
11. Michael Chee-Kam
10. Aaron Woods
9. Robbie Farah
8. Tim Grant

14. Sauaso Sue
15. Curtis Sironen
16. Rod Griffin
17. Ava Seumanufagai
Tigersman since 2013!

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 66 times

Unread post by formerguest » Tue 09 Feb, 2016 6:59 pm

Tigersman wrote:1. James Tedesco

2. Justin Hunt
3. Kevin Naiqama
4. Tim Simona
5. David Nofaluma

6. Mitch Moses
7. Luke Brooks

13. Matt Ballin
12. Curtis Sironen
11. Michael Chee-Kam
10. Aaron Woods
9. Robbie Farah
8. Tim Grant

14. Sauaso Sue
15. Curtis Sironen
16. Rod Griffin
17. Ava Seumanufagai
Curtis is going to be busy.

Eddie
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Eddie » Wed 10 Feb, 2016 10:21 pm

At full strength I think our side will competitive most weeks. Its more about how the dynamic is with players, coaches and game plans.

ON paper we do have an Origin front row (8,9,10) and potential superstars at the back and in the halves. Its not a bad starting point. We can light some teams up in these areas, we are not as weak as people make out in the media. Last year I thought we had the attack to trouble sides but rarely used it.

The backrow and the bench do look light on. I think we will still struggle there to match the top sides.

Im more interested in trying to get a vibe about the place. If Farah, Taylor and everyone is all firing and determined to play some sparking football well we might well be a big surprise.

If the game plans are turgid and half the team are not happy with the footy we are playing it will be more of the same. With a squad like ours you need everybody on the same page and working in the one direction.

Im not totally against Taylor trying to bring in some defensive structures and parts of game plans. However this year we need to be let of the leash and play some balanced football. 5 hit ups and a bomb wont do it.

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 6:33 am

If anyone thinks Farah & Taylor are on the same team, I'd like to buy some of what your smoking.

Bench rotation is our biggest problem. We lost all momentum last year when Woods & Galloway were off the pitch. Marty would pull out 2-3 big plays, but the rest wasn't effective. Fix bench rotation, and we are a chance.

Defensive structure was our second biggest problem. Too much switching positions during games & week to week. Player A & Player B must defend side by side as much as possible. Limit the switching in defence, and we are closer.

Winning starts Monday, not game day!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 7:18 am

Eddie wrote:At full strength I think our side will competitive most weeks. Its more about how the dynamic is with players, coaches and game plans.

ON paper we do have an Origin front row (8,9,10) and potential superstars at the back and in the halves. Its not a bad starting point. We can light some teams up in these areas, we are not as weak as people make out in the media. Last year I thought we had the attack to trouble sides but rarely used it.

The backrow and the bench do look light on. I think we will still struggle there to match the top sides.

Im more interested in trying to get a vibe about the place. If Farah, Taylor and everyone is all firing and determined to play some sparking football well we might well be a big surprise.

If the game plans are turgid and half the team are not happy with the footy we are playing it will be more of the same. With a squad like ours you need everybody on the same page and working in the one direction.

Im not totally against Taylor trying to bring in some defensive structures and parts of game plans. However this year we need to be let of the leash and play some balanced football. 5 hit ups and a bomb wont do it.
Taylor imo is more of a risk than the playing squad that we have based on how we went last year. I hope he gets it right.

Even though the backrow and bench may look a little weak I think they may go alright. Siro, Lawrence, Sue, Edwards and Halatau may all give us some decent options there.

I think we can improve a lot on last season.

king sirro

Unread post by king sirro » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 3:06 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:If anyone thinks Farah & Taylor are on the same team, I'd like to buy some of what your smoking.

Bench rotation is our biggest problem. We lost all momentum last year when Woods & Galloway were off the pitch. Marty would pull out 2-3 big plays, but the rest wasn't effective. Fix bench rotation, and we are a chance.

Defensive structure was our second biggest problem. Too much switching positions during games & week to week. Player A & Player B must defend side by side as much as possible. Limit the switching in defence, and we are closer.

Winning starts Monday, not game day!
I forgot about last years bench rotation. It was suicide wasnt it. How an NRL coach can think having all key forwards off at the same time is the best option is ludicrous. Taylor must come up with a better solution this year.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Tigersman

Unread post by Tigersman » Fri 12 Feb, 2016 12:47 am

formerguest wrote:
Tigersman wrote:1. James Tedesco

2. Justin Hunt
3. Kevin Naiqama
4. Tim Simona
5. David Nofaluma

6. Mitch Moses
7. Luke Brooks

13. Matt Ballin
12. Curtis Sironen
11. Michael Chee-Kam
10. Aaron Woods
9. Robbie Farah
8. Tim Grant

14. Sauaso Sue
15. Curtis Sironen
16. Rod Griffin
17. Ava Seumanufagai
Curtis is going to be busy.
He's just that good :lol: :lol: :lol: I meant Lawrence for #12
Tigersman since 2013!

willow
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 69 times

Unread post by willow » Fri 12 Feb, 2016 10:02 am

king sirro wrote:
formerguest wrote:

I think that's the only other concern. Alioi or Lovett will come in if Edwards isn't ready
Edwards is a round 1 option at best, but I suspect we won't see him until round 2 or 3.

MacDougall
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by MacDougall » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 3:40 pm

1. Tedesco
2. Nofoaluma
3. Simona
4. Naiqama
5. Addo-Carr
6. Moses
7. Brooks
8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Ava
11. Sironen
12. Aloai
13. Sue

14. Chee Kam
15. Lawrence
16. Griffin
17. Grant

Sironen, Grant heavily on notice from Liolevave, Felise, McConachie. Lovett only plays as a cut price version of Chris Lawrence in case on injury. Moses also has to fire or Littlejohn and Rankin can have a crack at his spot.

everett

Unread post by everett » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 3:46 pm

MacDougall agree with your team but who will have goal kicking duties in the top 13????
Living the dream and praying for another premiership

swag tiger
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by swag tiger » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 3:51 pm

Where would Edwards play when he is fit?
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

MacDougall
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by MacDougall » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 4:11 pm

everett wrote:MacDougall agree with your team but who will have goal kicking duties in the top 13????
Moses.

Edwards can start in NSW cup since he needs match fitness. If he is good enough then he will get a go at some point. He isn't owed a walk up first grade spot. He was a fringe first grader at two other nuffie clubs.

Return to “Season 2016 [Off-season, pre-season, trials]”