Your top 17, Season 2016

tigerap

Re: Your top 17, Season 2016

Post by tigerap » Thu 17 Dec, 2015 7:04 pm

Tiger Torch wrote:Based on training and fitness tests being completed this week the current top 17 in opposed teams training is:
Team #1
Tedesco
Addo-Carr
Naquima / was replaced by Rankin when he corked his thigh
Noffa
Moses
Brooks
Woods
Farah ( fittest in 5 seasons, both in skin fold and general speed/stamina)
Sue
Sironen
Lawrence
Edwards starts at 13, then considered part of prop rotation , when replaced by Halatau, Sironen moving from 2nd row to lock
Int:
Ava
Chee Kam
Halatau
Cherrington

Team #2
Hunt
Kharwin
Seve
Heleta
Peni
Rankin
Littlejohn
Griffin
Ballin (still in rehab Cherrington has been filling in)
Buchanan
Tyler Cassell
Kyle Lovett
Jesse Parahi
Int:
Dalla Graham
Liolelave
Josh Aloiai / Asipeli Fine (hamstring strain)
Billy McConnachie ( being considered as part of prop rotation, struggling a little with fitness - all props have to play a minimum of 50 minutes, Woods likely to play min 60 minutes)

The two first grade positions up for grabs in round 1 are 1 wing and 1 centre. Taylor not keen on returning Naquima to wing, Addo Carr much better under the high ball.
Chee Kam would be next in line for centre position at this stage even though he prefers to play 2nd row.
Rankin considered a play maker, will put genuine pressure on Brooks / Moses. Brooks fitness is way behind Moses at this stage.
The biggest bolters for first grade / top 25 are Tyler Cassell & Addo Carr whose sprint times match Korobete.
Woods and Lawrence to be appointed joint captains.
Taylor will start the season with 2 hookers, but ideally only wants to play 1.
Ballin unlikely to be fit to be considered for 1st grade until round 3-4, will likely start off in State Cup.
Only informal discussions with Ivan Cleary at this stage, he wants $500k and a 3 yr deal.
Taylor will be given to round 12 then a contract performance trigger would allow for his termination / however if Tigers don't win at least 50% of games prior to round 12 then negotiations could start as early as round 6.
Harry is already active in TPSs for Woods; Teddy; Brooks ; Moses. He stands ready for Klemmer
Tigers will go all out for Klemmer in 2017. They are prepared to pay both Woods & him $750k per season rising to $900k in 3rd year of contract + attractive TPAs . I'm still not confident we will get him, but whoever does they will have to pay top dollar.
We remain active in player market albeit our offers for Brenton Lawrence; Tim Grant; Tim Lafai were way below what other clubs were able to offer. I'm not worried, provided we can snare someone like Klemmer.
Lawrence will be offered $400k per season to remain with club in 2017-2018.
Final scoop - Farah will 90% leave the club at the end of 2016 for ESL. This will be a definite if NSW wins origin. Tigers will give him a golden handshake of approx $750k! Likely to return down the track as club ambassador / marketing role. He has made no secret that with his economics degree he believes he could handle CEO role down the track either at the Tigers or NRL.

That's an incredible insight you have shared with us....I hope more than 50% is true...Where are Moses and Brook at with either staying or leaving?

Milky

Post by Milky » Thu 17 Dec, 2015 7:13 pm

Tiger Torch wrote:Sorry guys typo - omitted Simona from Team #1. He's training really well and has regained his pace and acceleration.
Top bloke, thankyou for the insight

willow

Post by willow » Thu 17 Dec, 2015 8:36 pm

Tiger Torch wrote:Sorry guys typo - omitted Simona from Team #1. He's training really well and has regained his pace and acceleration.
Now that is very pleasing to hear, along with the rest of the info you provided. Good to hear Addo-Carr is training well. It would be good to have some genuine speed on the edge - we have missed that since Koro left.

Hope Brooks pulls his finger out too.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Thu 17 Dec, 2015 8:51 pm

Thanks for the info TT, the new light for me is Harry not being a major sponsor and now we have a major third party person. Good stuff.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 17 Dec, 2015 9:10 pm

900 k for a prop ?? WOW

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Thu 17 Dec, 2015 9:29 pm

Certainly interesting about Robbie's wishes further down the line. No wonder he took offence at being slide out the door. Presuming he has pure intentions (no reason to think otherwise) I hope it works out and he works diligently and helps the club. He may be better qualified than Kevin H and a few others.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Thu 17 Dec, 2015 10:55 pm

Thanks for the update TT, exciting stuff. Imagine having the pace of Koro on the wing again but also someone safe under the high ball - like the sounds of Addo-car. Has he bulked up a bit tho? Looked a little small for 1st grade in his highlights. Great to hear Simona has his pace back, pure weapon that bloke & if he were to have genuine speed outside him the opposition wouldn't know where to defend first!

Also great that the captaincy is being shared between lawrence & woods.

By the looks of that 1st team though it still seems as though we're light on props.

Anyone else we're bidding for from 2017?

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Thu 17 Dec, 2015 11:06 pm

I will only believe that we have a better captaincy after I witness such.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Fri 18 Dec, 2015 5:57 am

It's absolute rubbish coaches wanting 3 year deals... The top KPI for an NRL coach is win the premiership. The 2nd KPI is make the Top 4, and 3rd being Top 8.

Now where else in the world would you keep your job if you don't achieve any of your KPI's. Any coach wanting 3 year deals is spinning rubbish.

Perform or face the sack!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

ghost

Post by ghost » Fri 18 Dec, 2015 6:00 am

Gee exciting news about Aldo-Carr....if he is as fast as Koro that is just wow,he can play some footy too!

everett

Post by everett » Fri 18 Dec, 2015 6:35 am

Thank you TT for the update. Interesting no Drinkwater in the second team.

Still look light on for props so hopefully we can snare Lawrence or Grant before the season starts.

Did I read correctly Cassell a second rower has sprint times compared to Koro? Wow.

We need some pace in our team.
Living the dream and praying for another premiership

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Fri 18 Dec, 2015 6:59 am

Thanks for the insight TT lots of positives in there.very happy Lawrence will be offered an extension at a far more realistic 400k which reflects a starting first grade 2nd rower.As others have stated our prop situation is very poor and we need at least 1 more

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Fri 18 Dec, 2015 7:16 am

happy tiger wrote:900 k for a prop ?? WOW
I'm worried we are massively overpaying Woods.

Tiger Torch

Post by Tiger Torch » Fri 18 Dec, 2015 7:40 am

Further clarifications: No inside info on Brooks & Moses, though every indication is that they will stay for a further 3 years.
Its only Addo-Carr not Tyler Cassell who is matching Korobete's sprint times. Cassell is fast becoming one of our best defenders along with Edwards. Incidentally additional time being spent on Woods to improve defensive technique - more shoulders less arm grabs.
All in all a pretty happy and unified squad at present.
Like all of us I have my own personal views and opinions but have restricted these updates to actually what's happening at training, not what I would like to see etc
For what's its worth I think we will finish 9th, but with a little luck re injuries and more consistent performance from our halves we could snare 8th. I think Rankin is the key here putting genuine pressure on both / he's very similar at training to Austin.
We are probably short 1 legitimate first grade prop but are Grant or Lawrence better than what we've got? With Klemmer our #1 target for 2017 should we enter the market for a stop gap? (these are personal opinions)
If there is to be a further signing for 2016 I have been told it still will be a prop @ $250k max - I don't know what that will get us, I would have thought Grant or Lawrence (neither of whom I want) but I'm not privy to what Manly / Souths were prepared to accept. I know Grant is on $450k. I don't have any idea about Lawrence.
Cherrington appears unfazed by the Farah saga, in fact spends quite a bit of one on one time with Robbie. Ballin's rehab is a blessing at the moment, when all 3 are available there may be issues, but with Farah's likely departure in 2016 and Cherrington getting a contract upgrade (discussions already underway) all should be sweet.
That's about all I have at present, I may check in prior to kick off, don't forget to question any negative rumour/s regarding the club and analyse the source / motivation. For instance Tapau left for the money pure and simple, no issues with Taylor, he wasn't happy with Taylor's plan to extend his minutes, but all in all had no major concerns - they do in fact still talk.
Farah and Taylor are getting on with business, and on the surface appear to have reached some form of truce / understanding. They will never be as close as Farah was with Sheens but therein lies the root of the problem.
Personal opinions / prejudices are just that, we all have them. I personally don't think Taylor is the right man for the job, but my sources that work with him, along with my own observations at some training sessions suggest I am in the minority.
The club is neither a basket case of a best practice organization but it is heading in the right direction. Whilst I'm tipping 9th this year if we don't make the 8 expect further changes which have been written into KPIs. 2017 the club is committed to a top 4 finish.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 18 Dec, 2015 7:48 am

Tiger Watto wrote:It's absolute rubbish coaches wanting 3 year deals... The top KPI for an NRL coach is win the premiership. The 2nd KPI is make the Top 4, and 3rd being Top 8.

Now where else in the world would you keep your job if you don't achieve any of your KPI's. Any coach wanting 3 year deals is spinning rubbish.

Perform or face the sack!
It's not out of the ordinary for management to get three year contracts. Quite common in my industry.
And the sky is filled with light, can you see it?
And the black is really white, if you believe it.
And the longing that you feel, you know none of this is real;
You will find a better place, in this twilight...

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 18 Dec, 2015 7:49 am

Thanks for the insight Torch. Very good information.
And the sky is filled with light, can you see it?
And the black is really white, if you believe it.
And the longing that you feel, you know none of this is real;
You will find a better place, in this twilight...

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Fri 18 Dec, 2015 9:06 am

Thanks for the info Tiger Torch. " I think Rankin is the key here putting genuine pressure on both / he's very similar at training to Austin." Can Rankin play other positions other than halfs or fullback? Ie centre
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Fri 18 Dec, 2015 9:18 am

I think the fact that Farah is the fittest he has been in 5 seasons is a sign that what the club did was just the kick in the arse he needed after a lacklustre couple of years. Lets hope he behaves in 2016.

I think the 3 hookers in the squad is actually better then most think
People keep saying it makes no sense to purchase Ballin esp with Robbie staying.

Well in 2015 and obviously the strategy is that Cherrington will play off the bench which means that you are playing 2 hookers strategy which I think works well given we need to get Cherrington game time but he isn't a starting or an 80 minute hooker as yet.

This means that if either Farah or Ballin are injured for any of the year we have a back up or even if Cherrington is injured we can maintain our strategy of 2 hookers as its hard to change that approach part way through the season as players train and teams work to that kind of strategy.

Now Farah is going to miss at least 3 games but in reality has played between 16-18 games for the last 4 years and he isn't getting any younger. So that means that Ballin would get say 10 games as a minimum and that assumes Cherrington can last a full season without injury which isn't realistic in his first season but also I think it gives the opportunity to drop Cherrington back to NSW Cup occasionally to get a full 80 minutes in NSW Cup to build him up.

Hence Ballin probably gets another 6 games.

SO you have across a year
Farah - 16 games
Ballin - 16 games
Cherrington - 16 games

As part of 2 Hooker rotations with injury, rep games and Cherrington needing a rest in NSW Cup

This also means you don't play Halatau at Hooker unless absolutely necessary as I think he isn't up to it in FG anymore.

This to me proves the use of Ballin , reflects how much Farah really plays and that Cherrington isn't up to 80 minutes at this stage