NRL Nines ***LIVE GAME THREAD...

happy tiger

Re: NRL Nines ***LIVE GAME THREAD...

Post by happy tiger » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 4:22 pm

magpiecol wrote:If Taylor picks Griffin when injured then he gets shafted. If he does not pick him he gets shafted. Wow.

Common sense says that Griffin was injured. Until we hear different let it go.
Unfortunately when they were talking about the groups at the start of the day and covered the injuries

Lawrence hip ,Drinkwater and Cassell were the Tigers players listed as injured

Griffin wasn't mentioned

You need to find another conspiracy theory Col

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by sheer64 » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 4:33 pm

happy tiger wrote:
magpiecol wrote:If Taylor picks Griffin when injured then he gets shafted. If he does not pick him he gets shafted. Wow.

Unfortunately when they were talking about the groups at the start of the day and covered the injuries

Lawrence hip ,Drinkwater and Cassell were the Tigers players listed as injured

Griffin wasn't mentioned

You need to find another conspiracy theory Col
He shot JFK.
Today we saw a true champion in Winx, and a true bludger in Cleary!

doublesonthemain

Post by doublesonthemain » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 4:56 pm

Yossarian wrote:
doublesonthemain wrote:Addo-Carr is fast which is great but if he is to play wing can he make the kind of hit-ups needed to help the forwards? Can Hunt do that better? Can't tell from a Nines game or two. Addo-Carr certainly will get better so that's a plus. The trials I think will give a better indication. And writing off Heleta and Milone after about 25 minutes of Nines footy, and in Milone's case 2 NRL games, is ridiculous. Will they both be top notch NRL players? No but they might improve to the point that they can cut it when needed. And they will improve, whether it is enough to get to that level remains to be seen. I'm looking forward to the trials now and seeing how guys like Rankin and McConnachie go as well as the established players. The last trial will give us a good indication probably what the team for rd 1 will look like. And that game against the Warriors will be a beauty.
I agree about Heleta but I've seen enough of Milone in lower grades to suggest he's not really NRL standard. I see Hunt as being in front for first grade at this stage but trials could a factor.
Fair enough but wasn't last year all about Milone just getting confidence back and strength after the leg injury he suffered the season before. For any centre/back overcoming such an injury would take a lot of time. And as far as his NYC form was going before the injury it was good but it's always difficult to get a gauge on NYC form unless they're outstanding. He obviously needs to improve to play at NRL level but another year without injury might do him the world of good.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 5:51 pm

doublesonthemain wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
doublesonthemain wrote:Addo-Carr is fast which is great but if he is to play wing can he make the kind of hit-ups needed to help the forwards? Can Hunt do that better? Can't tell from a Nines game or two. Addo-Carr certainly will get better so that's a plus. The trials I think will give a better indication. And writing off Heleta and Milone after about 25 minutes of Nines footy, and in Milone's case 2 NRL games, is ridiculous. Will they both be top notch NRL players? No but they might improve to the point that they can cut it when needed. And they will improve, whether it is enough to get to that level remains to be seen. I'm looking forward to the trials now and seeing how guys like Rankin and McConnachie go as well as the established players. The last trial will give us a good indication probably what the team for rd 1 will look like. And that game against the Warriors will be a beauty.
I agree about Heleta but I've seen enough of Milone in lower grades to suggest he's not really NRL standard. I see Hunt as being in front for first grade at this stage but trials could a factor.
Fair enough but wasn't last year all about Milone just getting confidence back and strength after the leg injury he suffered the season before. For any centre/back overcoming such an injury would take a lot of time. And as far as his NYC form was going before the injury it was good but it's always difficult to get a gauge on NYC form unless they're outstanding. He obviously needs to improve to play at NRL level but another year without injury might do him the world of good.
I don't know. We'll see. His defence in lower grades was ordinary and his attack limited. I don't think you have to stand out in NYC to get an idea on fundamentals. I just don't think he's a long term option.

Mighty Tiger

Post by Mighty Tiger » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 6:11 pm

magpiecol wrote:
king sirro wrote:Heleta came up with some great one on one hits during the tournament. I disagree with criticism of him. He is a 13 a side type blockbuster centre who hits hard. His pass to Kev was poor, but remember he's a left Centre trying to convert to the right to get an NRL opportunity. That catch and pass will improve with some more experience on the right side. He should be the first centre picked in State Cup to put pressure on Kev, who was great again.

Add Carr is by far our most dangerous winger in space but falls short defensively and I worry would struggle in traffic.

Griffin showed great ability to create second phase play so Taylor didn't play him again...joke.

So KS you know for a fact that Griffin was fit and ready to go but Taylor for no known reason let him sit on the sideline?

Maybe, just maybe, he was injured.

For all the negatives on this forum, we should have beaten the Knights. We had a big overlap when Liolive? decides to drop the ball. Shortly thereafter, the Knights score. They also had a try award when we were down near halfway in possession. The Knights player clearly dropped the ball over the line and it should have been play on. However, check out who was the referee. Nothing more needs to be said.
Col the ref who made the call was the female touchie

We played dumb footy in that game, to kick off like we did instead of putting it up was just stupid. Made silly mistakes as well. It's the 9s sure but also shows that we have a lot of work to do to understand the game and play smart.

Bring on the trials to see the young kids and then the footy season.

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 6:46 pm

It was good to see the teams running around. As for us?...Such a disappointment :(
Silly me... I was hoping for so much more :|

tsjonathan

Post by tsjonathan » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 7:10 pm

Tigermama wrote:It was good to see the teams running around. As for us?...Such a disappointment :(
At least you watched it...I wouldn't even know if we won

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 8:12 pm

Glad to see Parra penalised for their salary cap rorting by winning the 9's and collecting the winners cash.
Ding dong the witch is dead....hope their fans burn the leagues club down this time.

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 11:10 pm

tsjonathan wrote:
Tigermama wrote:It was good to see the teams running around. As for us?...Such a disappointment :(
At least you watched it...I wouldn't even know if we won
You didn't miss much Tsjonathan. You'd know if we had won it. The forum would be buzzing with excitement! ;)

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 8:56 am

My last word on the nines, for entertainment it is way down on the rugby sevens. Now before the anti rugby people rip my head off, I just think the seven concept has been around for years and they are on the road going from one event to the next for about nine months a year, they also pick squads of players that are best suited to that format. The result, they have developed a highly entertaining game.

The nines on the other hand was made up of about six teams who were serious and the rest made up the numbers. The games to me never really delivered on excitement.Maybe the extra two players on the ground makes defending a little easier, but it did not work for me

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 9:08 am

I agree. It's also possible that JT had seen enough; this was a training run for some fellas.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 9:18 am

If you think theres only about half a dozen teams that are serious in this, then surely it makes sense for us to be serious too...its not like we win a helluva lot when every other team is serious, we'd be something of a chance at the big $$$ if only a handful giving it their all, and we could use the dosh

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 9:40 am

My thoughts, constructive, based on 9s:

1. JAC will start Rd 1. He has the kind of speed every team needs and WT are particularly lacking, outside of Tedesco. Plus he is tall enough to dissuade bombing to his wing. We need a guy to be a threat down an open side or supporting a line break (and we don't create many LBs, so more important to convert). I'd be giving him roving commission in attack, once he finds his feet. Defensive issues will be worked on week-to-week, but I don't see anything far worse than Koroibete or, to be frank, Nofo. Kick-returns and early tackle hitups are currently a question mark.

2. Jesse Sue looks again a little fitter and stronger than last year - good power into and after contact. His defence still needs polish - he's in the right place and he can put on some really sharp hits, but he glances off a lot and doesn't always end up in good position after the wrestle.

3. Littlejohn is comfortably ahead of Drinkwater. DW underplays his hand far too often, he seems overly concerned with the look of his play rather than the result, it's all articulated passes and drop punts, rather than engaging the line; he's absolutely pedestrian on the run. LJ is more dogged, times his passes better and should be higher as a halves backup.

4. Lamar... oh dear don't know what has happened to this guy. Probably should have let him go to Doggies a season ago and I don't see him figuring in 2016 unless there is a DRAMATIC form reversal.

5. Cherrington still needs to temper his hand. The high-intensity thing is good for his game, but he plays 9s like he plays NRL at the moment - attacks on every possession. Sure it will jag him some tries from DH, but it throws the rest of the team out, brings too much random, unstructured play.

6. Heleta - has something to offer. Certainly powerful and seemed to do good things near the tryline, though his skillset obviously still needs work if he's going to be a starting centre.

Also listening to that Kiwi commentator Stephen McIvor, he pronounces ever islander name differently to what I've heard over here. We had Sauaso "Su-eh", Watson "Hell-eta", Jordan "Rarp'nar" and I can't even remember how he said Seumanufangai, except I recognised the player before the name. He pronounces these names with an expedited authority - is he legit, or is he just making these ones up?

tsjonathan

Post by tsjonathan » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 9:42 am

[quote="jirskyr"]My thoughts, constructive, based on 9s:

1. JAC will start Rd 1. He has the kind of speed every team needs and WT are particularly lacking, outside of Tedesco. Plus he is tall enough to dissuade bombing to his wing. We need a guy to be a threat down an open side or supporting a line break (and we don't create many LBs, so more important to convert). I'd be giving him roving commission in attack, once he finds his feet. Defensive issues will be worked on week-to-week, but I don't see anything far worse than Koroibete or, to be frank, Nofo. Kick-returns and early tackle hitups are currently a question mark.

Agreed, but we all know Milone will most likely be picked ahead of him. Hey, we let Seve go so..

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 10:16 am

Also listening to that Kiwi commentator Stephen McIvor, he pronounces ever islander name differently to what I've heard over here. We had Sauaso "Su-eh", Watson "Hell-eta", Jordan "Rarp'nar" and I can't even remember how he said Seumanufangai, except I recognised the player before the name. He pronounces these names with an expedited authority - is he legit, or is he just making these ones up?
Ive heard the same from - Im guessing polynesian commentators pronouncing polynesian names, its sometimes completely different to the aussie ( and incorrect Im guessing) interpretation we get accustomed to

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 1:08 pm

innsaneink wrote:If you think theres only about half a dozen teams that are serious in this, then surely it makes sense for us to be serious too...its not like we win a helluva lot when every other team is serious, we'd be something of a chance at the big $$$ if only a handful giving it their all, and we could use the dosh

Pick our best players for this mickey mouse format?

This forum would go into meltdown.

marzie

Post by marzie » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 1:08 pm

jirskyr wrote: Also listening to that Kiwi commentator Stephen McIvor, he pronounces ever islander name differently to what I've heard over here. We had Sauaso "Su-eh", Watson "Hell-eta", Jordan "Rarp'nar" and I can't even remember how he said Seumanufangai, except I recognised the player before the name. He pronounces these names with an expedited authority - is he legit, or is he just making these ones up?
It was pronounced "seeyou-manu-fungi"

Naiqama is correctly pronounced "nang-gama"

Taupau is also correctly pronounced "tah-por"

Aussie commentators get a lot of them wrong lol

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 1:21 pm

magpiecol wrote:
innsaneink wrote:If you think theres only about half a dozen teams that are serious in this, then surely it makes sense for us to be serious too...its not like we win a helluva lot when every other team is serious, we'd be something of a chance at the big $$$ if only a handful giving it their all, and we could use the dosh

Pick our best players for this mickey mouse format?

This forum would go into meltdown.
Yeah.
Safer to just make up the numbers, its what we do best