Our Defense

Eddie

Re: Our Defense

Post by Eddie » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 6:40 pm

I know I have said it is a mickey mouse week and it will quickly all be forgotten about come round 1. Manly copped 3 or 4 shocking injuries so I would rather be us then them in that regard.

However seeing Parra win it ( a fellow battler ) made me a bit a jealous. I thought maybe that could have been us and it would have given the players and the fan base a boost. Parramatta will use this as a bit of momentum to go into the season. To see there players embracing and Brad Arthur really celebrating wildly. It was a bit of passion and belief that our fans are craving from from our mob.

The other point would be some of our young guys might have loved to play but were denied the chance. This might not be a huge factor at contract time however every bit of morale (or lack of) around the place plays a factor.

Anyway, Who makes the decision 2 years in a row to send a reserve grade side? YOu would have to think it is Taylor's call and his alone? Obviously the fitness guys might come into to in regards to some players and where they are at.

Its an interesting debate. I can see both sides really.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 7:26 pm

I will wait until the season kicks off to see how we go.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 7:46 pm

Eddie wrote:I know I have said it is a mickey mouse week and it will quickly all be forgotten about come round 1. Manly copped 3 or 4 shocking injuries so I would rather be us then them in that regard.

However seeing Parra win it ( a fellow battler ) made me a bit a jealous. I thought maybe that could have been us and it would have given the players and the fan base a boost. Parramatta will use this as a bit of momentum to go into the season. To see there players embracing and Brad Arthur really celebrating wildly. It was a bit of passion and belief that our fans are craving from from our mob.

The other point would be some of our young guys might have loved to play but were denied the chance. This might not be a huge factor at contract time however every bit of morale (or lack of) around the place plays a factor.

Anyway, Who makes the decision 2 years in a row to send a reserve grade side? YOu would have to think it is Taylor's call and his alone? Obviously the fitness guys might come into to in regards to some players and where they are at.

Good post Eddie,I really have not much interest in the nines,mainly because of the squad they sent this year...I will get to a couple of trials this year as Iam very interested in seeing how the new recruits go,there is a much better form line coming out of an NRL trial with a full team that have to show a solid performance in attack and defense to cement a spot in FG..for me the nines is a razzle dazzle display and,yes highly entertaining to watch,if your interested,watching a new recruit trying his heart out in a trial gives me more enjoyment,especially if he shows good skills in attack or defense,I would also want to see how much better the players from last year have developed their defensive skills,let's face it,if they can't defend then they will be on the wrong side of the ledger again in 2016... : :)
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 11:52 pm

Milky wrote:
happy tiger wrote:But why couldn't we bring a stronger squad to the 9's ??

Cowboys brought their entire FG squad bar JT and Matt Scott (who is still in his final stages of recovery from neck surgery )

When you bring NSW Cup players (some straight from NYC ) , part time FG players and a few regular FG what do you or can you expect ??

I still think they need to make the 9's more attractive to the clubs

Last year I suggested extra money being added to the salary cap for the winner and yes that would get complicated

But I have a different idea now :idea:

How about making the winner cheque usable as a TPA and able to use it to help to secure players at any time up to that amount (say if it was $1 million it could be used the following seasons on multiple players ....) :ugeek:
No, its just the nines, it isn't even owned by the nrl is it?

I would much rather trials being televised than this
Love to see the trials televised too Milky.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 10:40 am

We don't really have the squad depth to send out best players to a tournament like this. Of course half the squad are our fringe players.

As long as Lawrence isn't too badly injured we came out ok in this tournament.

We didn't train for this and it showed in attack and defence. If you don't train and pick a reserve squad with a few first teamers you're going to have a pretty disjointed team.

It is worrying though how our player with apparently the best tackling technique at the club gets heavily concussed making his first ever tackle against an NRL player. Nerves like all our other rookies? Or just too small? Fulton mk II lol

Ado Carr and Simona and no defensive coordination at all on the left. Ado Carr came in too much leaving his man open. Panthers tore him a new one. If he can't stay on his man he'll never play much first grade.

willow

Post by willow » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 11:49 am

Didn't seem to be any sting in our defence, although at times I think it looked like the team treated it like an opposed training session.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 11:59 am

Eddie wrote:I know I have said it is a mickey mouse week and it will quickly all be forgotten about come round 1. Manly copped 3 or 4 shocking injuries so I would rather be us then them in that regard.

Do you risk your key players though for a tournament like that?

It will be interesting to see how Parra fare. The last two winners had either won previous or gone on to win the premiership the following season so I wonder if form dictates that this is the start of something good for Parra? I bloody hate them so I hope not but could the Nines tournament become a bit of an indicator for form during the year. I wonder how the other teams that featured in the finals of the Nines in years gone have looked during the season proper?
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 12:22 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:. I wonder how the other teams that featured in the finals of the Nines in years gone have looked during the season proper?
Was thinking this myself last night

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 12:55 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:. I wonder how the other teams that featured in the finals of the Nines in years gone have looked during the season proper?
Do you mean finals from the Quarters on or the Final...?

North Queensland beat Broncos in 2014 both made the 8 that year both played GF in the 2015...Souff's (Prem 2014) beat Cronulla 2015 both played finals footy in 2015..

Parra are now firm favs for the 2016 NRL Premiership according to their supporters.. ;)
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 1:14 pm

Geo. wrote:
innsaneink wrote:

North Queensland beat Broncos in 2014 both made the 8 that year both played GF in the 2015...Souff's (Prem 2014) beat Cronulla 2015 both played finals footy in 2015..

Parra are now firm favs for the 2016 NRL Premiership according to their supporters.. ;)
Quarters Geo.
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 1:35 pm

supercoach wrote:I would not read a thing into anything that happened at the nines, it seems half the clubs go into the comp with a real desire to win it and the other half make the trip over there because they have to.

Our trial matches will give us a much better idea on what might happen in 2016 and lets face it probably 15 names already on the team sheet for round one no matter what happens in the next month bar injuries
Commentators did make the point that more experienced teams were showing a natural defensive mindset, knowing their positions and roles, whereas bits-and-pieces teams were much more off-the-cuff.

Half our blokes had never even played in the same team before.

As to sending over a full-strength side, I'm not so sure about this. If you have dead-certs for Rd 1, why not use the 9s as an opportunity to instead trial some of the backups? To see some players get gassed and assess how your pre-season training is paying off in real match scenarios. I'm not sure if sending out Moses, Brooks, Farah, Tedesco is going to prove much... also aren't Brooks and Tedesco still coming back into full training from injury?

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 4:05 pm

Should have had some money on Parra. They usually can play pretty good for 20 minutes. Over 80, not so much. Boom Boom.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 4:28 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Geo. wrote:
innsaneink wrote:

Quarters Geo.
2014 Quarters Knights Broncos Parra Sharks Warriors Souff's Panthers Cowboys...Semi's Broncos Sharks Cowboys Warriors...Final Broncos Cowboys ...Souff's Cowboys Panthers Broncos made the Top 8 in NRL

2015 Quarters Parra Cowboys Wests Tigers Roosters Souff's Knights Sharks Warriors..Semi's Parra Souff's Roosters Sharks Final Souff's Sharks....Cowboys Roosters Souff's Sharks made the NRL Top 8

2016 Quarters Parra Knights Storm Cowboys Warriors Raiders Manly Titans...Semi's Parra Storm Warriors Titans...Final Parra Warriors...NRL Top 8....TBA...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

Post by 2041 » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 4:49 pm

innsaneink wrote:
supercoach wrote:I would not read a thing into anything that happened at the nines, it seems half the clubs go into the comp with a real desire to win it and the other half make the trip over there because they have to.

Our trial matches will give us a much better idea on what might happen in 2016 and lets face it probably 15 names already on the team sheet for round one no matter what happens in the next month bar injuries
Strong clubs like Brisbane NQ, roosters and Souths etc you could understand them not having much desire, theyve nothing to prove really...plus they have to go to England next week as well.

We SHOULD be doing our best in everything we compete in, we cannot afford to go half hearted anywhere with the lack of success this club has seen in its entirety

I dont disregard anything, as KS said if its 7s 9s 13s or bloody handball...I want us to be init up to our eyeballs

The fans are starved of success and entertainment, we put up with crap more than any other fanbase...this mindset and culture in the club needs to change...its garbage, toxic and amateur
I have to say I couldn't disagree with this much more. Having a 'winning culture' is nothing to do with doing well at a bit of pre-season hit and giggle. The powers that be at the club have obviously decided that the nines is actively detrimental to what they're trying to achieve in pre-season, and that's all I need to know.

So the Cowboys sent a good squad - good on them. The Bulldogs didn't bother, again, and neither did Manly or Melbourne (their squads of mainly fringe players both did well, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they kept all their best players back). Would you say any of those clubs don't have a winning culture?

Going all out to win some pre-season kickabout is almost by definition the kind of thing desperate, sad sack clubs with no hope in the proper football do. Hello Cronulla Sharks, I'm talking to you.

The Tigers have got out of the weekend everything I would have asked for: no major injuries, and no scorelines that were actually embarrassing. I bet Manly would swap in a heartbeat. And yes, injuries can happen in pre-season and so forth. Not a dozen of them on the same day, though.

Post by 2041 » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 4:54 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:

Do you risk your key players though for a tournament like that?

It will be interesting to see how Parra fare. The last two winners had either won previous or gone on to win the premiership the following season so I wonder if form dictates that this is the start of something good for Parra? I bloody hate them so I hope not but could the Nines tournament become a bit of an indicator for form during the year. I wonder how the other teams that featured in the finals of the Nines in years gone have looked during the season proper?
I don't think there's any correlation at all between winning the nines and winning the NRL, other than that teams that win the NRL tend to have good squads with decent depth they can use in pre-season. The Cowboys won in February 2014 and then won a premiership in October 2015 - presumably it took them all that time to really adopt the lessons of the nines! And last year everyone was saying after round one that Souths were going to go undefeated on the back of nines, world club championship and mauling Brisbane - then they faded badly and everyone said they went too hard too soon.

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Tue 09 Feb, 2016 4:07 pm

Outside the first game, I don't think our defence was any better or worse than the majority of other teams - the whole thing is of a very low standard IMO.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 09 Feb, 2016 4:10 pm

Assign Robbie as tackle coach for a week to stiffen them up.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Tigersman

Post by Tigersman » Tue 09 Feb, 2016 6:12 pm

We have always had rubbish defence, it wont change until our experienced players step up and show these youngsters how to pull through when the other team has set after set on your line. Defence is about attitude and atm we have poop attitude and culture.
Tigersman since 2013!