Our Defense

king sirro
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 42 times

Our Defense

Unread post by king sirro » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 12:16 pm

Does anyone else feel like the opposition could score on every play? Yet when we have the ball the opposition defense looks significantly better?

I know it's 9's but it's a comparison to other teams so it's irrelevant if it's 9's, 13's or 7's. Every team looks better than us defensively.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Demps
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Demps » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 12:20 pm

Well we were defo one of the weakest defense in the 9s...
It's an open attacking format though and our squad we named was very poor.

Lost Lawrence & Cassal.
A handful of first graders (Sue, Simona, Naqiama, etc) but mostly average, untested or rubbish rookies.

Not suprised.

supercoach
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 74 times

Unread post by supercoach » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 12:26 pm

I would not read a thing into anything that happened at the nines, it seems half the clubs go into the comp with a real desire to win it and the other half make the trip over there because they have to.

Our trial matches will give us a much better idea on what might happen in 2016 and lets face it probably 15 names already on the team sheet for round one no matter what happens in the next month bar injuries

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 187 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 12:37 pm

supercoach wrote:I would not read a thing into anything that happened at the nines, it seems half the clubs go into the comp with a real desire to win it and the other half make the trip over there because they have to.

Our trial matches will give us a much better idea on what might happen in 2016 and lets face it probably 15 names already on the team sheet for round one no matter what happens in the next month bar injuries
Strong clubs like Brisbane NQ, roosters and Souths etc you could understand them not having much desire, theyve nothing to prove really...plus they have to go to England next week as well.

We SHOULD be doing our best in everything we compete in, we cannot afford to go half hearted anywhere with the lack of success this club has seen in its entirety

I dont disregard anything, as KS said if its 7s 9s 13s or bloody handball...I want us to be init up to our eyeballs

The fans are starved of success and entertainment, we put up with crap more than any other fanbase...this mindset and culture in the club needs to change...its garbage, toxic and amateur

king sirro
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 42 times

Unread post by king sirro » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 12:42 pm

innsaneink wrote:
supercoach wrote:I would not read a thing into anything that happened at the nines, it seems half the clubs go into the comp with a real desire to win it and the other half make the trip over there because they have to.

Strong clubs like Brisbane NQ, roosters and Souths etc you could understand them not having much desire, theyve nothing to prove really...plus they have to go to England next week as well.

We SHOULD be doing our best in everything we compete in, we cannot afford to go half hearted anywhere with the lack of success this club has seen in its entirety

I dont disregard anything, as KS said if its 7s 9s 13s or bloody handball...I want us to be init up to our eyeballs

The fans are starved of success and entertainment, we put up with crap more than any other fanbase...this mindset and culture in the club needs to change...its garbage, toxic and amateur

I agree.

Some clubs need a confidence boost, some need to create a winning attitude, some need to become more ruthless. We tick all 3 of those boxes, but yet again we don't try to do this. Our coach says "we will use it to practice what we are going to do in the real comp".

I believe going away from the NRL structure for one weekend to help create a winning culture and attitude far outweighs sticking to what we have been doing at training for the season proper. If grown men can't alter things for 2 days without it having a negative effect on the NRL season then they have massive problems.

It's creates the wrong attitude and I think that reflected our effort in defense
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Snake
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 53 times

Unread post by Snake » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 12:45 pm

innsaneink wrote:

Yes I am over it accountability is my main driving force this season ..my catch cry is Put Up Or Move On .

happy tiger
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 33 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 12:51 pm

But why couldn't we bring a stronger squad to the 9's ??

Cowboys brought their entire FG squad bar JT and Matt Scott (who is still in his final stages of recovery from neck surgery )

When you bring NSW Cup players (some straight from NYC ) , part time FG players and a few regular FG what do you or can you expect ??

I still think they need to make the 9's more attractive to the clubs

Last year I suggested extra money being added to the salary cap for the winner and yes that would get complicated

But I have a different idea now :idea:

How about making the winner cheque usable as a TPA and able to use it to help to secure players at any time up to that amount (say if it was $1 million it could be used the following seasons on multiple players ....) :ugeek:

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 185 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 12:53 pm

We had a squad of reserve graders, what do you expect.

Milky
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by Milky » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 12:54 pm

happy tiger wrote:But why couldn't we bring a stronger squad to the 9's ??

Cowboys brought their entire FG squad bar JT and Matt Scott (who is still in his final stages of recovery from neck surgery )

When you bring NSW Cup players (some straight from NYC ) , part time FG players and a few regular FG what do you or can you expect ??

Last year I suggested extra money being added to the salary cap for the winner and yes that would get complicated

How about making the winner cheque usable as a TPA and able to use it to help to secure players at any time up to that amount (say if it was $1 million it could be used the following seasons on multiple players ....) :ugeek:
No, its just the nines, it isn't even owned by the nrl is it?

I would much rather trials being televised than this

TYGA
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 47 times

Unread post by TYGA » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 12:56 pm

The 9's are a farce. Rugby League is a Brutal Game there should be no competitive Preseason Fixtures outside of trials.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 12:58 pm

It would have to be Milky

Clubs wouldn't release their pieces of meat to a tournament that wasn't covered or protected by the NRL

And the NRL wouldn't lend their name to something they didn't control with their logos everywhere

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 1:00 pm

My point is the team that won the premiership brings pretty close to its full squad and the side that finished 15th brought probably 5 members of its starting 17

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 185 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 1:02 pm

TYGA wrote:

The 9's are a farce. Rugby League is a Brutal Game there should be no competitive Preseason Fixtures outside of trials.
Matt Elliott's idea of putting during the middle of the season while the competition takes a 4 week sabbatical, during which time you play Origin. The Nines during the middle of the season could be to league to what the Big Bash is to cricket during the middle of the summer.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 337 times

Unread post by Geo. » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 1:03 pm

We won the Jason Annear Memorial Nine's just last weekend...how soon we forget...

I agree with KS...Our aim should be to compete and try and win everything we enter...I have no problem if we get beat as long as the effort is there ....this tournament has been hot and cold mediocrity of the past...needs to change...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 1:07 pm

Geo. wrote:We won the Jason Annear Memorial Nine's just last weekend...how soon we forget...

I agree with KS...Our aim should be to compete and try and win everything we enter...I have no problem if we get beat as long as the effort is there ....this tournament has been hot and cold mediocrity of the past...needs to change...
But with a little bit of work Geo and some thought this tournament could be anything as GNR said it should be seen like 20/20 cricket

Get the clubs 100 % endorsement and things will change

But you need to offer something for the clubs to think it is definitely worthwhile in winning

Give a team a salary cap advantage and they will come after this with everything including the kitchen sink

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 337 times

Unread post by Geo. » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 1:32 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Geo. wrote:We won the Jason Annear Memorial Nine's just last weekend...how soon we forget...

But with a little bit of work Geo and some thought this tournament could be anything as GNR said it should be seen like 20/20 cricket

But you need to offer something for the clubs to think it is definitely worthwhile in winning

Give a team a salary cap advantage and they will come after this with everything including the kitchen sink
:shock: Do you need a lie down

I'm talking about OUR performances in this tournament regardless of the squad we take it was mediocre as normal that's what needs to change... not the tournament itself...

Doesn't matter what incentives you give it is a Pre-season tournament...We have seen ACL's broken jaws concussions already come out of it...Clubs will not risk all their stars to start a season....Fans would blow up deluxe...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

supercoach
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 74 times

Unread post by supercoach » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 1:35 pm

king sirro wrote:
innsaneink wrote:

I agree.

Some clubs need a confidence boost, some need to create a winning attitude, some need to become more ruthless. We tick all 3 of those boxes, but yet again we don't try to do this. Our coach says "we will use it to practice what we are going to do in the real comp".

I believe going away from the NRL structure for one weekend to help create a winning culture and attitude far outweighs sticking to what we have been doing at training for the season proper. If grown men can't alter things for 2 days without it having a negative effect on the NRL season then they have massive problems.

It's creates the wrong attitude and I think that reflected our effort in defense

I agree with you 100% but for what ever reason the club have decided the nines is something they are contracted to do and that is all they are going to do,pick a squad turn up and go through the motions.

Like you guys I think we need to generate a winning culture and it should start with the nines, lets face it nines is taylor made for our young kids. It would generate interest in the club and we need that by the bucket loads

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 2:00 pm

Geo. wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

:shock: Do you need a lie down

I'm talking about OUR performances in this tournament regardless of the squad we take it was mediocre as normal that's what needs to change... not the tournament itself...

Doesn't matter what incentives you give it is a Pre-season tournament...We have seen ACL's broken jaws concussions already come out of it...Clubs will not risk all their stars to start a season....Fans would blow up deluxe...
But players get injured in Pre Season training Geo

Cordner tore a Pec this week , another big name did an ACL

If you could get a even $750 000 advantage with a TPA clubs would jump over this tournament

My point was the same clubs like the Titans and Cowboys have sent near full strength squads , why can't we ??

The WT's need to build confidence that they can win games by winning games

The 2nd and 3rd game made me feel at least we showed up to play , our failure at completing the basics cost us big time , 12 point turnaround when Liolevave knocks on when catch ,draw and pass has us scoring

Return to “Season 2016 [Off-season, pre-season, trials]”