Team Announcement: NRL Trial vs. Storm

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 4:29 pm

Wests Tigers Media

Thu 11th February, 05:00PM
A A

Wests Tigers Head Coach Jason Taylor has today named a strong squad to play in the club’s first trial match of the year against the Melbourne Storm this Saturday.

New recruits Jordan Rankin, Tim Grant, Josh Aloiai and Jesse Parahi are set to play their first match for Wests Tigers in the game at Sunshine Coast Stadium.

Ten players from last weekend’s NRL Auckland Nines tournament will back-up and play – including off-season recruits Josh Addo-Carr, Michael Chee Kam, Rod Griffin and Jack Littlejohn.

Taylor highlighted the importance of this weekend’s trial as preparations continue for the club’s opening NRL match against the New Zealand Warriors on March 5.

“It has been a tough pre-season for the players and they have all worked really hard since we started training in November,” Taylor said. “I know they are all really keen to get back out on the field and put in to action what we have worked on over the past few months.

“I’m really looking forward to seeing a lot of the guys play, in particular some of the new recruits who will get their first run of the year this weekend.

“We’ve done some really good work in training with plenty of opposed sessions, which aimed at putting us under the pressure of game situations, but there’s nothing like actually playing an opposition team. Coming up against the Melbourne Storm, who are strong side, will give us a much better feel for how things are going once we get this game under our belt."

Wests Tigers players will depart Sydney on Friday morning, local fans having the opportunity to meet the team at an open training session at Sunshine Coast Stadium in the afternoon.

Tickets are on sale for our trial match against Cronulla! Be there to see the boys in action!
1. Jordan Rankin
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Nathan Milone
4. Michael Chee Kam
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Mitchell Moses
7. Luke Brooks
8. Tim Grant
9. Robbie Farah
10. Dallas Graham
11. Josh Aloiai
12. Kyle Lovett
13. Jesse Parahi
14. Justin Hunt
15. Jacob Liddle
16. Watson Heleta
17. Rod Griffin
18. Lamar Liolevave
19. Manaia Cherrington
20. Jack Littlejohn
21. Billy McConnachie
22. JJ Felise

Coach: Jason Taylor

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2016 ... nt_nr.html
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 4:32 pm

Strong team. Most interesting is Chee Kam in the centres. Clearly Taylor wants to have a look at that.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 4:42 pm

Agree KS...good to see Jesse Parahi and Aloiai starting and the Ipswich lads on the bench...Keen to see the State Cup squad...

Awaits the moaning about Milone and Lovett in the starting side..
Ivan's Laws

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 4:49 pm

So who is missing? Tedesco. Naiqama, Ava, Sue, Simona, Buchanan from the 9s. Woods, Siro, Hammer. Edwards and Ballin are long-term injured. Cassel concussed, Lawrence corked hip.

Interesting how it's full strength halves and hooker, but backup forwards and backline. It's actually a fairly non-first-choice squad otherwise.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 4:49 pm

Seems like a realy good squad,great to see JT is giving the Ipswich boys a crack first up against a tough team...I hope Parahi kills them in the lock forwards jumper...good luck to all the players and JT....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Snake

Post by Snake » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 4:50 pm

I do not understand the Jacob Little selection just taking up space a more mature player that is pressing for Premier league/ NRL spot would of been a better option .

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 4:54 pm

jirskyr wrote:So who is missing? Tedesco. Naiqama, Ava, Sue, Simona, Buchanan from the 9s. Woods, Siro, Hammer. Edwards and Ballin are long-term injured. Cassel concussed, Lawrence corked hip.

Interesting how it's full strength halves and hooker, but backup forwards and backline. It's actually a fairly non-first-choice squad otherwise.
Seumanufagai and Sue have been named in the State Cup squad,,,Lawrence is playing All Stars...
Ivan's Laws

Tony33

Post by Tony33 » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 4:55 pm

Most excited to see:

- Chee-Kam in the centres
- Parahi at lock
- Aloaia in the second row
- Grant at starting prop

Also keen to see how our halves and hooker gel wilthout Teddy chiming in at the back. Lets hope with another off-season under their belts they can step it up a notch. Excuses for the two young halves are well and truely running out, they have to start performing now.
2015 - The Year The Dynasty Began...

Demps

Post by Demps » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 5:12 pm

Very keen to see Parahi at lock.

Liddle is a gutsy player, he won't let anyone down....
Good to see they're giving him a chance.
Prob NSW cup hooker for 2016?
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by sheer64 » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 5:14 pm

Is Brooks allowed to play trials whilst still suspended?
Arise Sir Waste Anasta, Tool of the highest order!

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 5:22 pm

Snake wrote:I do not understand the Jacob Little selection just taking up space a more mature player that is pressing for Premier league/ NRL spot would of been a better option .
I don't think that there is any limit on the numbers they can select for the trial. Realistically there are only 3 true hookers at the club & one is unavailable. I have big wraps on Liddle, and is good to see he has been taken along for the experience. I think he will be challenging Cherrington for the hooking spot in a couple of years. Also good to see JJ Felise taken along for the experience

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 5:24 pm

sheer64 wrote:Is Brooks allowed to play trials whilst still suspended?
Yes Grade 1 and 2 can play in NRL sanctioned trials 9's All Stars etc but must serve their suspension in regular season NRL games....
Ivan's Laws

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 5:26 pm

Parahi selected ahead of Griffin & Liolevave means he must have shown himself to be pretty handy in the pre-season.

Dallas Graham starting prop here too.

Liddle and Felise were standouts in NYC last year. They'll be in the top squad sooner or later. JJ Felise will play first grade this year I reckon.

Brooks and Moses selected here is interesting.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 5:26 pm

Dallas Graham an interersting selection. Think Chee-Kam will spend some time in the back-row given the lack of options on the bench. I honestly do not believe that Liolevave is anywhere near up to 1st grade standard

Post by 851 » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 5:26 pm

sheer64 wrote:Is Brooks allowed to play trials whilst still suspended?
Yes he is, and I to am keen to see MCK go around in the centres, and Jessie at lock could be a great move.
Go hard or go home

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 5:28 pm

king sirro wrote:Strong team. Most interesting is Chee Kam in the centres. Clearly Taylor wants to have a look at that.
I think Simona and Naiqama are shoe-ins in the centres but I think JAC has a chance to grab a wing spot.

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 5:38 pm

I just don't understand what our coaching staff see in Lovett.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 5:45 pm

Clubs are allowed to stream trial games, anyone know if this is being shown on the net? I am keen to get a look at McConnachie