Team Announcement: NRL Trial vs. Storm

InBenjiWeTrust

Re: Team Announcement: NRL Trial vs. Storm

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 11:26 am

IMHO, Simona & Naiqama are too good players to be wasted on the wings, they both have great acceleration, wonderful footwork and very good passing ganes.
The options for LW are Rankin, Hunt and Addo-Carr.

1. Simona is our goal kicker, LW can be either of them;
2. Moses is our goal kicker, LW can be either of them;
3. Rankin is our goal kicker, in this case he will be on LW.

I prefer option 2, however, if Moses cannot kick goals, than option 3 is the the best.
:sign:

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 12:11 pm

jirskyr wrote:Hard to judge much from the highlights, but one thing I really liked was the speed and depth with which Brooks attacked the line in the second half.

He's a big lump of a lad and he can cop a tackle, so he should be taking the line on more... so long as he stays fairly direct and doesn't cramp across field. I feel last year he was distributing too early and it removes a lot of threat when the opposition can just hang off and pick up your runners.

My thoughts about attack are that when the two lines meet, if you take the ball right to the line without having fully executed your play, you force the defence to show its hand. In other words, if you run a move at the line, as you close the gap with the defence, the opposition will shuffle until you get too close, then they will set for what they think you are about to do.

This means that defenders will have picked up their target runners - committing physically to a space and fixating on a certain player. Typically they also plant their feet, and the holes in the line become fixed.

If you have the ball out in front at this moment, without having fully committed to your play, you can better pick your pass or run. But to do this you also need options, you need more than one threat for the defence to worry about.

A really strong indicator of good at-line attack is the ability to hit an open and short backrower, or an isolated winger, consistently. I saw Brooks doing a lot of this in the highlights and I think it bodes well. Thurston does it all the time and he's not even much of a physical presence, but he knows how to force the defence into making decisions before he does.

The alternative is of course to run through your play regardless, or to just give the ball early for someone to do something magic. I think Tigers for a long time have been guilty of running robotically through plays without reference to what the defence is doing, and last year we relied almost exclusively on Tedesco's ability to create something from very average distribution.

The early commentators on Brooks talked about how much time he appeared to have with the ball, and I've been waiting to really see that, where he plays what is in front of him rather than something totally rehearsed. Hopefully we see more of this 2016, because I think that is key to his development as a genuine premiership threat.
A few words from your first and then the ultimate paragraph are very relevant to the between for mine, those being "speed and depth", "time" and "in front of him", which were on show in the highlights from the weekend.

The dummy half has a huge influence on the defensive line and it is most noticeable when Brooks gets the ball out in front of him after being passed from the ground. The difference was stark as he was going forward and committing a defence on the back foot to his ends and delivering the killer blow to those in front of him.

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 1:44 pm

jirskyr wrote:Hard to judge much from the highlights, but one thing I really liked was the speed and depth with which Brooks attacked the line in the second half.

He's a big lump of a lad and he can cop a tackle, so he should be taking the line on more... so long as he stays fairly direct and doesn't cramp across field. I feel last year he was distributing too early and it removes a lot of threat when the opposition can just hang off and pick up your runners.

My thoughts about attack are that when the two lines meet, if you take the ball right to the line without having fully executed your play, you force the defence to show its hand. In other words, if you run a move at the line, as you close the gap with the defence, the opposition will shuffle until you get too close, then they will set for what they think you are about to do.

This means that defenders will have picked up their target runners - committing physically to a space and fixating on a certain player. Typically they also plant their feet, and the holes in the line become fixed.

If you have the ball out in front at this moment, without having fully committed to your play, you can better pick your pass or run. But to do this you also need options, you need more than one threat for the defence to worry about.

A really strong indicator of good at-line attack is the ability to hit an open and short backrower, or an isolated winger, consistently. I saw Brooks doing a lot of this in the highlights and I think it bodes well. Thurston does it all the time and he's not even much of a physical presence, but he knows how to force the defence into making decisions before he does.

The alternative is of course to run through your play regardless, or to just give the ball early for someone to do something magic. I think Tigers for a long time have been guilty of running robotically through plays without reference to what the defence is doing, and last year we relied almost exclusively on Tedesco's ability to create something from very average distribution.

The early commentators on Brooks talked about how much time he appeared to have with the ball, and I've been waiting to really see that, where he plays what is in front of him rather than something totally rehearsed. Hopefully we see more of this 2016, because I think that is key to his development as a genuine premiership threat.

This is exactly how he played in his debut & hopefully we see this more consistently from now on. A couple of questions though, who played at hooker while Brooks was on & what was Robbie's service like when in the first quarter?

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 16 Feb, 2016 7:48 am

MacDougall wrote:If we want to give our team an edge we need to pick players who are more than honest toilers.

I would not be picking Lawrence, Sirro and Lovett in the same side when we have guys like Aloai and Liolevave in the wings who need to be developed. One or two maybe. Same goes for Hunt and Rankin holding out Addo Carr and Karwhin.
Here's the post match interview with Aloai from WestsTigers.com
http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2016 ... on__0.html
Liolevave seemed better than his showing in the 9s. Maybe he was more use to the halves in the trail game.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Goose

Post by Goose » Tue 16 Feb, 2016 2:50 pm

I thought Aloai spoke really well, first time I ve heard him, impressed.

I think he is a very decent buy as well.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 16 Feb, 2016 6:47 pm

Is it fair to say that Aloai would be better defender and Liolevave is a better attacking player?
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Tue 16 Feb, 2016 7:28 pm

Goose wrote:I thought Aloai spoke really well, first time I ve heard him, impressed.

I think he is a very decent buy as well.
Agreed. Chee Kam is also an excellent buy. We may earn a reputation as a club which can boost the prospects of marginal NRL players. Managers may be more willing to place clients at our club and in return we get the short term use of a pretty useful player.

Goose

Post by Goose » Tue 16 Feb, 2016 11:36 pm

Tigerdon wrote:Is it fair to say that Aloai would be better defender and Liolevave is a better attacking player?
I reckon plenty would agree with that.

Liovale is certainly more dynamic.

Both have potential IMO

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Tue 16 Feb, 2016 11:58 pm

I certainly don't think that if we just bit the bullet and rolled them out as starting backrowers they'd let us down. Parra went rookie/rookie with Ma'u and Edwards and they both went great guns.