Team Announcement: NRL Trial vs. Storm

TIGER

Re: Team Announcement: NRL Trial vs. Storm

Post by TIGER » Sat 13 Feb, 2016 9:50 pm

I think we are still way off where we need to be even though it's still pre season i don't think the boys or Taylor will be too pleased after tonights performance, i just didn't look like we put into practice what we'd been working on all pre season.

Defence.
Considering we fielded a 75% starting side we were out enthused and Melbournes defence looked better organised than ours. We looked suspect around the ruck (like always) Melbourne we're making easy inroads through that part of the field. Our forwards looked weak and if they come up against a quality pack will get rolled, i realise we were without some of our starting forwards but none of them impressed me including Grant.

Attack
Not much to say, we executed well a few times attacking their end that led to tries out wide, Hunt looked the most likely with ball in hand and also made some good meters when coming out of our own end when at fullback, as did Nofo. Addo Carr did nothing wrong, Rankin didn't really have much opportunity when at fullback, despite that i don't think it's his position and i don't think Taylor is considering him there.
Hunt looks more comfortable there and went well there, he looks like a great fiil in for Teddy god forbid he goes down or even on a wing.
Didn't see anything from littlejohn to get excited about, he started and played alot of minutes, i remember him putting in few nothing kicks in on the last when in good field position and on one of them missing a tackle on his chase that led to a half break. Nothing Brooks or Moses did was particularly special either, kicking was average.
Our wingers went well, Nofo played to his usual high standard and Addo Carr looks like he has a spot there.

To summarise our forwards i felt were pretty disappointing especially considering they were up against a no name Melbourne pack.
Nofo and Hunt stood out to me and Lovett and Aloiai in the forwards were highly involved. Despite the result i felt it was a pretty average hitout and i walked away feeling that Melbournes future is looking a lot brighter than ours.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sat 13 Feb, 2016 10:00 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:Hunt was our busiest and best on park for 2/3rds of the game... Lock him in for the Wing spot!

I was very impressed with JJ Felise & John Aloiai. Both had good motors and worked well. In fact, Aloiai could be a smokey for a bench spot.

Griffin wasnt used effectively, and didnt make much of an impact. He would sometimes look like a good off-load was on offer, and hussled well in D, but still feel he will be off pace at this stage.

Rankin was busy, but Hunt was busier. Both wouldnt be out of place in NRL, but others have a mortgage sadely. There energy could be infectious?

Ado Carr was woeful in defence. They cant seriously pick him simply for his pace.

I enjoyed watching Luke... he finally looks to have time and showed good vision.

Round 1 - Hunt is the only change at this stage, but watch out for Aloiai.
We watched different games then. Addo Carr was good in defence from what I saw. Griffin got through a ton of work.

PYMBLEPETE

Post by PYMBLEPETE » Sat 13 Feb, 2016 10:01 pm

Happy to hear your report TIGER, but gee wasn't almost our entire likely starting forward pack not there tonight?

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sat 13 Feb, 2016 10:03 pm

MacDougall wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:Hunt was our busiest and best on park for 2/3rds of the game... Lock him in for the Wing spot!

I was very impressed with JJ Felise & John Aloiai. Both had good motors and worked well. In fact, Aloiai could be a smokey for a bench spot.

Griffin wasnt used effectively, and didnt make much of an impact. He would sometimes look like a good off-load was on offer, and hussled well in D, but still feel he will be off pace at this stage.

Rankin was busy, but Hunt was busier. Both wouldnt be out of place in NRL, but others have a mortgage sadely. There energy could be infectious?

Ado Carr was woeful in defence. They cant seriously pick him simply for his pace.

I enjoyed watching Luke... he finally looks to have time and showed good vision.

We watched different games then. Addo Carr was good in defence from what I saw. Griffin got through a ton of work.
lol... you must of been lining up for a beer for his 4 arm grabs.

TERRIBLE!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sat 13 Feb, 2016 10:03 pm

Brooks threw some excellent balls and was busy.

Keep in mind I switched ends so that I was always watching closely when we were deep on attack and could see very little in terms of goal line defence.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sat 13 Feb, 2016 10:04 pm

PYMBLEPETE wrote:Happy to hear your report TIGER, but gee wasn't almost our entire likely starting forward pack not there tonight?
Missing Woods, Ava, Sue, Lawrence, Sirro and Halatau so yeh fair chunk.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sat 13 Feb, 2016 10:06 pm

Addo Carr took his opposition player into touch 3 times and scrambled to stop overlaps a couple of times. It could be that his technique is poor but his positioning seems to be really quite good.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sat 13 Feb, 2016 10:08 pm

agreed... Throw in Woods, Ava & Sue and we will achieve alot more meters in the middle.

FTR, the last 1/4 saw some terrible refereeing decisions. I think both teams were wondering WTF.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sat 13 Feb, 2016 10:13 pm

Yeah they were trying out their new whistles.

The no try ruling when the Storm threw it back in field and Rankin picked it up was lolular as was ruling Brooks knock on for Rankins first no try.

Storm conceded 3 penalties with the ball in hand by my count. I couldn't tell you what for for certain but it seemed to be for walking off the park.

iofthetigers

Post by iofthetigers » Sat 13 Feb, 2016 10:13 pm

The Tigers have a very different look this year in attack & I was impressed(I didn't think Taylor was that creative,& if I was a gambling man I would say Ballin will be lock & Sironen will have a massive year). They asked plenty of questions of the Storm in very difficult conditions(windy).A brief of my take is:
Moses played a very controlled game particularly at half in the first half.
Chee Kam is a special player he reminds me of Jason Smith where he always seemed to have a lot of time
The most impressive player for me as I don't see much lower grade games was Haleta WOW he is class (although it looked like he done his hamstring).
Grant was good
Griffin was good at prop but terrible at 2nd row (2 tries through him not Malone)
Aloiai was good when Moses moved to 5/8 in attack & defence
JJ Felise has a very big future as does Liolavave.
Refs were very strong in enforcing playing the ball with your foot

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sat 13 Feb, 2016 10:14 pm

Also I think having JAC to chase down line breaks is gonna be good for stopping 2 tries a game lol.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sat 13 Feb, 2016 10:16 pm

Ahh using the foot. That's always a big deal during trials haha.

I thought those tries might have been through Griffin but I couldn't see. Was hoping not.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sat 13 Feb, 2016 10:16 pm

Oh btw Heleta was walking fine after the game shaking hands so I think he is fine.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sat 13 Feb, 2016 10:18 pm

Good call on Sirro. Liolevave looked to be central to the gameplan and he was playing in Sirro's spot. I expect the ball going to him running lines a lot.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sat 13 Feb, 2016 10:18 pm

PYMBLEPETE wrote:Happy to hear your report TIGER, but gee wasn't almost our entire likely starting forward pack not there tonight?
Yeah im hearing you, but we had Grant, Farah, Lovett, Cherrington and people are talking of Graham and Griffin possibly getting a start or playing a part at some stage and in that respect i was a little disappointed that we were imo out played by them, and more so that even though they guys pushing for a spot had a dig, i just can't see them being competitive enough to provide anything more than what we've been over the last few years. To me it looks like it's shaping as another year where Teddy is our knight in shining armour behind an outplayed side. But im somewhat of pessimist, mostly a realist.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sat 13 Feb, 2016 10:19 pm

MacDougall wrote:Addo Carr took his opposition player into touch 3 times and scrambled to stop overlaps a couple of times. It could be that his technique is poor but his positioning seems to be really quite good.
Speed can do that and this reminds me of Naqaima... He is also terrible in D, but his ability to scramble/react through his pace allows him to look better than he is.

If we want to improve on 2015 in defence, we cant pick any further liabilities. I hate the idea of being forced to pick a winger for defence, but mobile Backrowers and speedy Centres running at a Brooks; Simona & Ado Carr combination simply scares me.

Personally, Hunt's height & energy should see him get the nod.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sat 13 Feb, 2016 10:31 pm

I thought Hunt was pretty bad on the wing but he was admittedly very very good at FB.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 13 Feb, 2016 11:10 pm

MacDougall wrote:

Don't worry Mac , Watto couldn't possibly give an Ipswich player a fair rap

Diluted vision , you know what I mean