Team Announcement: NRL Trial vs. Storm

king sirro

Re: Team Announcement: NRL Trial vs. Storm

Post by king sirro » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 4:50 pm

MacDougall wrote:You should have seen how far Addo Carr came to get in on that line break coverage at the end of the video. He isn't just fast he tries super hard. He is a first grader and likely a damn good one. We should lock him in and let him work on his game in firsts.
Then he switched off completely st marker. I would be very scared of we have Josh on the wing to start the year. I think he is a 2 year project
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 5:52 pm

king sirro wrote:
MacDougall wrote:You should have seen how far Addo Carr came to get in on that line break coverage at the end of the video. He isn't just fast he tries super hard. He is a first grader and likely a damn good one. We should lock him in and let him work on his game in firsts.
Then he switched off completely st marker. I would be very scared of we have Josh on the wing to start the year. I think he is a 2 year project
That view is why the most dangerous winger in the comp is now playing for the Storm. Players do not develop in State Cup - the comp is too pedestrian - they develop in first grade with an understanding that with development comes mistakes.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 6:04 pm

southerntiger wrote:
king sirro wrote:
That view is why the most dangerous winger in the comp is now playing for the Storm. Players do not develop in State Cup - the comp is too pedestrian - they develop in first grade with an understanding that with development comes mistakes.
Disagree with that view - firstly that Koro is the most dangerous winger in the comp. Danger to the opposition but also dangerous to his own team because of his defense and bad reads. If you are "The Storm" however you can afford to carry a defensive liability because of his attack.

However if you are "The Tigers" with a lot of young inexperienced players you cannot do this. So the inexperienced defensive winger was required to learn in the NSW Cup. He didn't want to do that, so he left us. We can't afford the mistakes.

We are giving Carr a break - but he also needs to learn, but he needs to learn more in the lower grade before he gets to learn in the NRL in my opinion.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 6:25 pm

Russell wrote:
southerntiger wrote:
king sirro wrote:
Disagree with that view - firstly that Koro is the most dangerous winger in the comp. Danger to the opposition but also dangerous to his own team because of his defense and bad reads. If you are "The Storm" however you can afford to carry a defensive liability because of his attack.

However if you are "The Tigers" with a lot of young inexperienced players you cannot do this. So the inexperienced defensive winger was required to learn in the NSW Cup. He didn't want to do that, so he left us. We can't afford the mistakes.

We are giving Carr a break - but he also needs to learn, but he needs to learn more in the lower grade before he gets to learn in the NRL in my opinion.
Russell I don't disagree Koro has his flaws. I would still prefer to have him in the side than playing against us. I do agree that better sides are better equipped to carry players with flaws. But the supposed players who replaced Koro aren't perfect either. Naqaima makes 1 or 2 defensive mistakes per game. Simona makes shocking reads at times. Nofo can be a very poor defender.

I disagree we are giving Carr a break. The kid is rated very highly. Whether or not with us, he is likely to have a long first grade career. Im of the view our backline needs to be quick. We have been too pedestrian in the last few years, apart from Teddy.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 6:38 pm

I have no doubt Koro is very quick & an exciting attacking player, but his defensive reads and positioning is terrible, and he is also prone to errors in handling kicks. My biggest concern around Addo-Carr is his size. You will not find many long terms first graders under 90kgs. I also wonder why so many of the new recruits are on one year deals? If they do perform, we are then caught in bidding wars to retain them, or they leave & we are back to square 1 looking at cast-offs again.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 6:38 pm

hobbo2803 wrote:
pHyR3 wrote:
Geo. wrote:
weststigers wrote:Did Parahi get a run?
No he was injured at training the day before unfortunately...
how come youve got so much inside goss lately? or am i only just noticing

Geo is the unofficial Wests Tigers sandwich hand!
Cant stand that gluten free bread!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 7:07 pm

When did Radradra join the Storm...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 8:11 pm

Geo. wrote:When did Radradra join the Storm...
Touche.

Radradra is a more complete package but Koro is more explosive IMO.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 8:13 pm

Harvey wrote:I have no doubt Koro is very quick & an exciting attacking player, but his defensive reads and positioning is terrible, and he is also prone to errors in handling kicks. My biggest concern around Addo-Carr is his size. You will not find many long terms first graders under 90kgs. I also wonder why so many of the new recruits are on one year deals? If they do perform, we are then caught in bidding wars to retain them, or they leave & we are back to square 1 looking at cast-offs again.
Often it is the player agent who wants a 1 year deal for a player who has yet to prove himself.

marzie

Post by marzie » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 8:19 pm

Harvey wrote:I have no doubt Koro is very quick & an exciting attacking player, but his defensive reads and positioning is terrible, and he is also prone to errors in handling kicks. My biggest concern around Addo-Carr is his size. You will not find many long terms first graders under 90kgs. I also wonder why so many of the new recruits are on one year deals? If they do perform, we are then caught in bidding wars to retain them, or they leave & we are back to square 1 looking at cast-offs again.
I'd say that like the situation with naqaima, if they are performing well and showing promise the Tigers will look to extend them pretty quick

Naiqama was extended for an extra 2 years before halfway through the season

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 8:24 pm

Addo Carr is a better defender than Naiqama and quicker.
I would run with Chee-Kam in the centres and push Naiqama to the wing simply as he is more experienced. Addo Carr will be an excellent first grader in a year or two. Long term Naiqama won't be able to shine his shoes.Right now though Addo carr needs experience through NSW cup.

I also rate him infant of Justin Hunt as to me he is a fullback.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 7:31 am

hang on boys... Kev is a right side player and if he is going to be on any wing, it will be the right.

If you were at the game, you wouldve seen a fresh, strong & confident David Nofoaluma for the first time in 2 years. This was one of the highlights to me, and I'm certain everyone in tigerland was very happy to see David like this.

No one will be taking Nofo's Wing Spot unless there is an injury!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 8:17 am

Tiger Watto wrote:hang on boys... Kev is a right side player and if he is going to be on any wing, it will be the right.

If you were at the game, you wouldve seen a fresh, strong & confident David Nofoaluma for the first time in 2 years. This was one of the highlights to me, and I'm certain everyone in tigerland was very happy to see David like this.

Kev played a lot on the left in the ower grades Watto, so i think he could switch comfortably.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 8:33 am

king sirro wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:hang on boys... Kev is a right side player and if he is going to be on any wing, it will be the right.

Kev played a lot on the left in the ower grades Watto, so i think he could switch comfortably.
But thats Simona's Wing :D

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 8:35 am

Kev inside Noffa is set imo. Simona inside Addo Carr in the left and we will score a mountain of points on that side.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 9:18 am

Hard to judge much from the highlights, but one thing I really liked was the speed and depth with which Brooks attacked the line in the second half.

He's a big lump of a lad and he can cop a tackle, so he should be taking the line on more... so long as he stays fairly direct and doesn't cramp across field. I feel last year he was distributing too early and it removes a lot of threat when the opposition can just hang off and pick up your runners.

My thoughts about attack are that when the two lines meet, if you take the ball right to the line without having fully executed your play, you force the defence to show its hand. In other words, if you run a move at the line, as you close the gap with the defence, the opposition will shuffle until you get too close, then they will set for what they think you are about to do.

This means that defenders will have picked up their target runners - committing physically to a space and fixating on a certain player. Typically they also plant their feet, and the holes in the line become fixed.

If you have the ball out in front at this moment, without having fully committed to your play, you can better pick your pass or run. But to do this you also need options, you need more than one threat for the defence to worry about.

A really strong indicator of good at-line attack is the ability to hit an open and short backrower, or an isolated winger, consistently. I saw Brooks doing a lot of this in the highlights and I think it bodes well. Thurston does it all the time and he's not even much of a physical presence, but he knows how to force the defence into making decisions before he does.

The alternative is of course to run through your play regardless, or to just give the ball early for someone to do something magic. I think Tigers for a long time have been guilty of running robotically through plays without reference to what the defence is doing, and last year we relied almost exclusively on Tedesco's ability to create something from very average distribution.

The early commentators on Brooks talked about how much time he appeared to have with the ball, and I've been waiting to really see that, where he plays what is in front of him rather than something totally rehearsed. Hopefully we see more of this 2016, because I think that is key to his development as a genuine premiership threat.

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 9:53 am

TYGA wrote:Addo Carr is a better defender than Naiqama and quicker.
I would run with Chee-Kam in the centres and push Naiqama to the wing simply as he is more experienced. Addo Carr will be an excellent first grader in a year or two. Long term Naiqama won't be able to shine his shoes.Right now though Addo carr needs experience through NSW cup.

I also rate him infant of Justin Hunt as to me he is a fullback.
Strongly disagree - put whoever you like on the wing ( I prefer Hunt or Rankin) but Naiqama is not a winger ( can fill in - yes, if we are desperate) but permanently he is a no no. I have seen Hunt play on the wing a few times and he is better than Kev.

If you want Chee Kam in the centre and that is your pick - good-O but imo you would then have to drop Kev.

Chee Kam is still unproven in my mind - have seen him do a couple of good things but nothing sensational enough to take Kev's spot for me.

Demps

Post by Demps » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 11:20 am

Che-kam is tall, fast and strong...

He's played second row and centre.

I reckon he'd also be good on the wing.
Thoughts?
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.