Team Announcement: NRL Trial vs. Storm

InBenjiWeTrust

Re: Team Announcement: NRL Trial vs. Storm

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 11:05 am

Our weakest positions, 2nd row should be greatly improved by Liolevave, Griffin, Edwards, Aloiai,McConnachie keeping Lawrence and Sironen on their toes.
Sue at lock, now has competition with Cassel and Parahi.
We can only hope we will not play favorites/boys club. :(
Last edited by InBenjiWeTrust on Sun 14 Feb, 2016 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 11:24 am

innsaneink wrote:How does a set defence not stop one player off a tap 10m out?
We allow far too many of these soft tries

Our tries looked good
One of my biggest hates about us. We are just soft when it comes to this. Need a complete attitude overhaul to things like this.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 11:29 am

Sabre wrote:Doesn't sound like the most encouraging win.

You do know that it was a trial don't you? With half the team out?

God help me.

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 11:30 am

magpiecol wrote:
Sabre wrote:Doesn't sound like the most encouraging win.

You do know that it was a trial don't you? With half the team out?

God help me.
God help you indeed.

Demps

Post by Demps » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 11:53 am

wow at the high light comenntary...shameful
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 11:57 am

innsaneink wrote:How does a set defence not stop one player off a tap 10m out?
We allow far too many of these soft tries

Our tries looked good
That looked ordinary, 3 blokes in the tackle as well. They just did not move up.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 12:02 pm

Demps wrote:wow at the high light comenntary...shameful
It came from the miked up Ref's....there was no commentary...filmed by the NRL in the case of reports or send off etc...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyhow...Official Match report...

Match Report: Wests Tigers score trial win over Storm

Brock Corfe (Twitter: @Brock_Corfe)

Sat 13th February, 09:48PM
A A

IMG_0020
Wests Tigers scored a narrow 18-16 victory in their trial match against Melbourne Storm tonight at Sunshine Coast Stadium.

New recruits Joshua Addo-Carr and Michael Chee Kam scored three out of the team’s four tries, with winger David Nofoaluma crossing for the final match-winning four-pointer.

Mitchell Moses impressed with his strong kicking-game, particularly early on in the match, while Luke Brooks made an immediate impact when he came on to the field in the second stanza.

Other notable performances included former Parramatta Eel, Josh Aloiai, who was strong in defence and made a number of strong carries.

Wests Tigers enjoyed the perfect start to the game as Moses put up a towering bomb which was spilled by a Storm defender. The mistake put Wests Tigers deep on the attack and they took full advantage, shifting the ball left to Addo-Carr who snuck over in the corner.

Jordan Rankin took the goal-kicking duties, however was unable to convert from the sideline as the Wests Tigers held a 4-0 lead after just three minutes.

Moses’ kicking game was causing problems for Melbourne in windy conditions, with the crafty playmaker forcing a repeat soon after.

However, the next points didn’t come until the 19th minute as Wests Tigers new recruit Chee Kam barged his way through defenders again on the left edge to score.

Another tough conversion from Rankin was waved away as Wests Tigers went into the quarter time break with a commanding 8-0 lead.

A scrappy opening to the second quarter by Wests Tigers resulted in Storm prop Nelson Asofa-Solomona driving his way over the line from close-range. Joe Stimson added the two-points and shortened the Wests Tigers’ lead to 8-6 after 28 minutes.

Wests Tigers showed gritty defence soon after, holding out the Storm who looked dangerous with the ball. Winger David Nofoaluma put on a bone-rattling tackle and was involved again soon after the hit with Moses and Lamar Liolevave as they carried an attacker over the sideline.

However Melbourne eventually hit the lead after enjoying a wealth of possession, with their right winger Jeremy Hawkins finding his way past Justin Hunt to score in the corner. Stimson couldn’t add the extras, as the Storm crept out to a 10-8 lead after 35 minutes.

The Storm made it quick back-to-back tries as centre Curtis Scott sliced through on the same edge, giving the hosts a commanding 16-8 lead at the half-time break.

Wests Tigers needed to be first to score in the second half and they did just that, with halfback Brooks coming on to the field and orchestrating a magical cut-out pass to Addo-Carr who strolled over in the corner. Hunt took on goal-kicking duties, however missed the sideline opportunity and the score remained 16-12 after 48 minutes of play.

Both sides made plenty of errors in following stages of play, with a number of chances going begging – most notably a pass from Hunt which was slightly behind Rankin who had the try-line open.

Despite an injury scare early in the second half, Aloiai returned to the field and made a huge turnover tackle with 12 minutes remaining on the clock – his second of the night.

The mistake from the Storm proved costly, as Nofoaluma raced down the right sideline off the following set, to score in the corner and send the Wests Tigers’ supporters amongst the 6000-strong crowd ‘bananas’.

With scores locked up at 16-all and eight minutes remaining, Rankin landed his first conversion of the night from the sideline to put his side ahead going into the final few minutes.

It was an intense finish to the match as Melbourne took an intercept from their goal-line and running 60-metres before Jack Littlejohn made an impressive cover tackle, from which the Storm made a costly error.

Wests Tigers subsequently held on for a 18-16 victory in their first trial match of the year and will now turn their focus to Saturday night’s trial match at Campbelltown Sports Stadium against Cronulla.

Wests Tigers 18 (Addo-Carr 2, Chee Kam, Nofoaluma tries; Rankin 1 goal) defeated Melbourne Storm 16 (Asofa-Solomona, Scott, Hawkins tries; Stimson 2 goals)

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2016 ... sts_t.html
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm

Sorry FT , you know I'm not the brightest match in the pile

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 12:18 pm

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2016 ... with_.html

Taylor pleased with trial victory

Sun 14th February, 10:43AM
Wests Tigers Coach Jason Taylor says he was pleased with the effort shown by the entire squad in Saturday's win over the Melbourne Storm on the Sunshine Coast.

See what he had to say about the game and which players impressed him most above.

---------------------------

Good listen....identified ruck defence as a big issue and the middle periond of the game as poor...Expecting the side named for the Cronulla Trial to be closer to Rd 1 Team...
Ivan's Laws

happy tiger wrote:

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 1:28 pm

Gee Nofo looked strong. I can see him driving a lot opponents into the ground or over the sidelines this year. Brooks looked the goods to. Quick enough n his feet, stronger looking and great passes to the outside backs.
JT has to find room in the 17 for Chee Kam.
Before this trail I had Cherrington on the bench as our super-sub, now I'm not so sure
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 1:39 pm

Tigerdon wrote:Gee Nofo looked strong. I can see him driving a lot opponents into the ground or over the sidelines this year. Brooks looked the goods to. Quick enough n his feet, stronger looking and great passes to the outside backs.
JT has to find room in the 17 for Chee Kam.
Before this trail I had Cherrington on the bench as our super-sub, now I'm not so sure
I agree with you. CHerrington will get limited minutes, cannot play multiple positions & has seemed very fragile defensively in both the 9's and last nights trial

weststigers

Post by weststigers » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 2:14 pm

The move we put on after Moses kicked the 40/20 was lethal. Pity about the last pass.

It starts at 3m 40s on the video.

weststigers

Post by weststigers » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 2:15 pm

Did Parahi get a run?

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 2:24 pm

weststigers wrote:Did Parahi get a run?
No he was injured at training the day before unfortunately...
Ivan's Laws

happy tiger wrote:

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 3:21 pm

You should have seen how far Addo Carr came to get in on that line break coverage at the end of the video. He isn't just fast he tries super hard. He is a first grader and likely a damn good one. We should lock him in and let him work on his game in firsts.

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 3:28 pm

Good to get a win. I was more impressed by the fact that they didn't let Storm score, in the second half. :supporter:

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 3:34 pm

If we want to give our team an edge we need to pick players who are more than honest toilers.

I would not be picking Lawrence, Sirro and Lovett in the same side when we have guys like Aloai and Liolevave in the wings who need to be developed. One or two maybe. Same goes for Hunt and Rankin holding out Addo Carr and Karwhin.

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 3:48 pm

Geo. wrote:
how come youve got so much inside goss lately? or am i only just noticing
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sun 14 Feb, 2016 4:06 pm

pHyR3 wrote:
Geo. wrote:
how come youve got so much inside goss lately? or am i only just noticing

Geo is the unofficial Wests Tigers sandwich hand!