Team Announcement: NRL Trial vs. Sharks

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 17 Feb, 2016 5:20 pm

Wed 17th February, 05:00PM
A A

Wests Tigers Captain Aaron Woods will play his first match of the year this Saturday, as the Club plays its final trial match against Cronulla at Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

Head Coach Jason Taylor has named a strong 20-man squad for the Sharks’ clash, which includes livewire fullback James Tedesco and edge backrower Curtis Sironen, who also both take the field for the first time in 2016.

Five of the Club’s off-season recruits — Jack Littlejohn, Tim Grant, Jordan Rankin, Justin Hunt and Josh Aloiai — have been named in the team as they push for selection in Round 1.

Taylor said he was impressed with last weekend’s narrow 18-16 victory over the Melbourne Storm on the Sunshine Coast but felt there are still areas to work on ahead of Round 1.

“The main area that we want to improve on coming out of last week’s trial is our middle of the field defensively,” he said.

“We did a good job of that in patches against the Storm but not so well at other times. We really want to improve that this week against Cronulla and be consistent throughout the year.

“This week we welcome back guys like Aaron Woods and James Tedesco, which will be a huge boost for us. Giving a lot of the younger guys an opportunity over the past two weeks has been great, but we will be certainly getting ready for Round 1 with the side named this week.”

Campbelltown Sports Stadium will host a five-game program this Saturday — with Harold Matthews, SG Ball, Holden Cup and NSW Cup games all preluding the NRL clash.

The football-feast is great value for fans, with tickets $15 or family passes at $40, while all 2016 Wests Tigers Members gain free entry on the day.

The Club will be also live-streaming the match on weststigers.com.au from 6:45pm.

Tickets are on sale for our trial match against Cronulla! Be there to see the boys in action!
1. James Tedesco
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Tim Simona
4. Kevin Naiqama
5. Justin Hunt
18. Mitchell Moses
7. Jack Littlejohn
8. Aaron Woods (C)
9. Robbie Farah
10. Tim Grant
11. Curtis Sironen
12. Chris Lawrence
13. Sauaso Sue

Interchange:
6. Jordan Rankin
14. Ava Seumanufagai
15. Josh Aloiai
16. Manaia Cherrington
17. Kyle Lovett
19.Luke Brooks
20. Josh Drinkwater

Coach: Jason Taylor
http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2016 ... nt_nr.html
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Wed 17 Feb, 2016 5:28 pm

Like it. Hoping Sue starts up front in the season proper but i think Grant will get first crack at partnering Woods.

My tip for this trial is that Hunt shows his wares in the first half on the left wing then Tedesco goes off for the 2nd half. Hunt moves to fullback and Rankin then shows what he can do on the left wing. The best performance wins the spot for round one.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Wed 17 Feb, 2016 5:36 pm

king sirro wrote:Like it. Hoping Sue starts up front in the season proper but i think Grant will get first crack at partnering Woods.

My tip for this trial is that Hunt shows his wares in the first half on the left wing then Tedesco goes off for the 2nd half. Hunt moves to fullback and Rankin then shows what he can do on the left wing. The best performance wins the spot for round one.
That would seem logical. Rankin wearing the 6 is interesting tho.

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Wed 17 Feb, 2016 5:37 pm

I think you are right Sirro around Hunt and Rankin.

I'd say Sue will move to prop at the 20/25 min mark when Woodsy and Grant come off after starting at lock with Aloiai coming on at lock and Ava at the other prop. I think this is what we will see in the season proper too. Really interesting to see Aloiai on the bench.

I think we will see the halves mix and match over the night given Brooks is out Round 1.

I'll be interested to see who is in NSW cup team tommorrow - as I'd say a couple of bench spots are still up for grabs and they want to see some blokes play more minutes in NSW cup

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Wed 17 Feb, 2016 5:41 pm

thought that griffin and mcconnachie would have been the chance to push there lot in a full strenght side.

tigertye

Post by tigertye » Wed 17 Feb, 2016 5:47 pm

Did Madness get a run in the last trial? Hasn't played since that local nines game or whatever where apparently he was best on field.

Would also much rather see Griffin get a go instead of Lovett, he can play anywhere in the forwards.

Halatau must be injured.

No Chee-Kam or Graham?

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Wed 17 Feb, 2016 5:57 pm

gallagher wrote:
king sirro wrote:Like it. Hoping Sue starts up front in the season proper but i think Grant will get first crack at partnering Woods.

That would seem logical. Rankin wearing the 6 is interesting tho.
Yeh thats an odd one
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Tiger78

Post by Tiger78 » Wed 17 Feb, 2016 5:59 pm

Have to agree on most of the above comments regarding the inclusion of Lovett over other players. Honestly cant see why Taylor keeps persisting with him, ok he can tackle but he couldnt bust a grape and has no real offload. Would much rather see Griffin , Graham , Chee Kam in his place instead. I will be pretty disappointed if he gets a bench spot over these guys for round 1. He must be Taylors chauffeur or something lol.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 17 Feb, 2016 5:59 pm

A rapid rise for Aloiai

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 17 Feb, 2016 6:07 pm

Nice looking side that was to be expected i suppose. Can't wait to watch them run around on Saturday.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 17 Feb, 2016 6:09 pm

Tiger78 wrote:Have to agree on most of the above comments regarding the inclusion of Lovett over other players. Honestly cant see why Taylor keeps persisting with him, ok he can tackle but he couldnt bust a grape and has no real offload. Would much rather see Griffin , Graham , Chee Kam in his place instead. I will be pretty disappointed if he gets a bench spot over these guys for round 1. He must be Taylors chauffeur or something lol.
I was scrolling back up when i read this so read it from the bottom up if that makes sense. Soon as i started reading i thought ''well this will be about Lovett'' and sure enough. His role as the forum whipping boy is well established already this yr. See his offload to set up Chee Kam on the weekend? Wasn't bad for a guy who doesn't have an offload. He set up a try against Manly the same way last yr. Definitely does not deserve the mud that gets thrown at him.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Wed 17 Feb, 2016 6:14 pm

tigertye wrote:Did Madness get a run in the last trial? Hasn't played since that local nines game or whatever where apparently he was best on field.

Would also much rather see Griffin get a go instead of Lovett, he can play anywhere in the forwards.

Halatau must be injured.

No Chee-Kam or Graham?
Or Addo-Carr and Parahi.

I expect McConachie, Griffin, Chee-Kam, Addo-Carr, Dallas Graham and maybe JJ Felise will be added to an extended bench if they come through the NSW Cup/NYC trials.

Happy to see Aloiai named at 15.

Weird that Rankin is wearing the 6 and Moses the 18...

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Wed 17 Feb, 2016 6:17 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tiger78 wrote:Have to agree on most of the above comments regarding the inclusion of Lovett over other players. Honestly cant see why Taylor keeps persisting with him, ok he can tackle but he couldnt bust a grape and has no real offload. Would much rather see Griffin , Graham , Chee Kam in his place instead. I will be pretty disappointed if he gets a bench spot over these guys for round 1. He must be Taylors chauffeur or something lol.
I was scrolling back up when i read this so read it from the bottom up if that makes sense. Soon as i started reading i thought ''well this will be about Lovett'' and sure enough. His role as the forum whipping boy is well established already this yr. See his offload to set up Chee Kam on the weekend? Wasn't bad for a guy who doesn't have an offload. He set up a try against Manly the same way last yr. Definitely does not deserve the mud that gets thrown at him.
It was a fairly hail mary type pass but still, he tried it and it stuck so can't fault him. It looked a bit random though.

Lovett needs to improve though, he just doesn't do enough. His defense is quite poor but I do think he copped plenty when he was forced to play in the centres where he just isn't an NRL quality centre. Way too slow.

I wouldn't be surprised if he improved out of sight though. He should put on some weight and become a prop imo. He's got many of the qualities a good toiling prop has but as a backrower he just isn't dynamic enough.

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Wed 17 Feb, 2016 6:19 pm

I think given Lovett played 21 games in his first season of NRL last year and is well known as a great trainer then he probably deserves first crack at a bench spot especially given the changing interchange this year which means the 4th bench spot is essentially a reserve covering the outside backs and forwards). I would think he will be competing with Chee-Kam and Halatau for that position.

Griffin is competing for the prop/lock position with Sue, Edwards, Alioai I would say to fill 2 spots.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Wed 17 Feb, 2016 6:33 pm

Interesting team. If this is being viewed as our top team I assume that:-

1. Hunt is best placed to grab Patty's wing spot. I reckon that all the other positions are pretty clear cut. I'd like to see JAC there but hopefully Hunt goes well. Rankin could get a go as well.
2. Sue will play at lock this year. I reckon this is the right idea.
3. Siro and Lawrence should be out first options in the second row but they will have to perform.
4. I reckon we will carry a dummy half on the bench. I wouldn't have done this but it's a good option. Mania should spark the team when he comes on.
5. Seumanufagai, Aloiai and Lovett must make up the rest of the bench. I think that this is our weakest area but hopefully they have a lot of pressure on them to retain their spots and they have to perform.

One thing that I think Taylor did well last year was pick a pretty good team each week. I think he has choosen a good team again.

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Wed 17 Feb, 2016 6:57 pm

Why is Brooks getting limited minutes? Is he carrying an injury?
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Wed 17 Feb, 2016 7:00 pm

Masterton wrote:Why is Brooks getting limited minutes? Is he carrying an injury?
He is suspended for round one so im guessing that Taylor has one eye on round one with Littlejohn and one eye on round two with Brooks.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 17 Feb, 2016 7:03 pm

Id say Halatau & Edwards would be way before Aloioi for a bench spot....when are these two due back?