Team Announcement: NRL Trial vs. Sharks

southerntiger
Member
Member
Posts: 4381
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:24 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Team Announcement: NRL Trial vs. Sharks

Post by southerntiger » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 9:48 pm

jirskyr wrote:
- Farah was enterprising but I think Ennis still got the points on him, much more select with his passing and feisty in defence. Cherrington really brought the attack forward 2nd half, though he was aided by Brooks coming on, I felt his distribution was superior to Farah. Cherro passes the ball out in front, gets the first receiver to run onto the ball, there is forward momentum. Farah holds his passes too long for me, he passes to Brooks like he passes to Woods.
This has been my problem with Farah for the past 3 years. The fact he has slowed down I can accept. The fact he still makes poor choices I don't like but it has always been part of his game. However, I just stand that he is such a poor passer from dummy half. Every ball is behind players. How many times do I see Brooks have to jump to catch a Farah pass. Forget long passes, Farah doesn't even throw short passes well. By contrast, Cherrington throws a 20 metre pass off the ground that hits Brooks on the chest. Nothing had changed tonight. Wobbly pass after wobbly pass.


User avatar
TIGER
Member
Member
Posts: 3021
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:40 am

Post by TIGER » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 9:53 pm

You have to remember Brooks and Cherrington are coming on when we are dominating possession and more field position and just getting all the cream, real easy to look good when its laid on a platter for you. Our set plays looked real good though, very good ball handling, timing etc looked like a training drill.

southerntiger
Member
Member
Posts: 4381
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:24 pm
Location: Sydney

Post by southerntiger » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 9:55 pm

TIGER wrote:You have to remember Brooks and Cherrington are coming on when we are dominating possession and more field position and just getting all the cream, real easy to look good when its laid on a platter for you. Our set plays looked real good though, very good ball handling, timing etc looked like a training drill.
I understand that which is why I focused on the one thing that has nothing to do with the opposition or momentum - throwing a clean pass from dummy half.

Snake
Member
Member
Posts: 4808
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 5:37 pm

Post by Snake » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 9:59 pm

Taylor has something to work with right though the club ..I was impressed with the forward strength in reserve grade and the structure that they had ,be assured this coach seems to know what he is doing.It was pretty positive tonight seeing the new faces and old.... a few points Farah would be glad Ballin is not ready as he is on old legs it will be shown up this season Ennis played all over him, Siro is a VERY lazy player and if he does not pick up there are types in the lower grade that will push him out .
My outlook for the season at this stage is Taylor has the cattle to make a dent ,whether he has what it takes to drop players and inject others will be his waterloo as there is some very damaging types he can choice from .The club seems to be moving in the right direction right through all grades it was interesting to see the change in player though the grades and in a good way ...onto round 1.

king sirro
Member
Member
Posts: 5786
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 9:39 am

Post by king sirro » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 10:03 pm

Really enjoyed the night at Cambo. Entertaining game for a trial with a lot of positives.

First 10 minutes we were a level above, then the next 20 minutes momentum swung to the sharks and we hardly had any ball. Even though we got hammered in the penalties during this time i still felt we had the Sharks covered.

2nd half we moved the ball around a fair bit but at times our defence was terrible. One time Teddy was screaming for players to move left and it was like they had no idea where they should be. Ball control last 10 minutes was worst ive ever seen

There is a noticable change to how our halves play. Often they came from near behind the play the ball and angle across to the open side. Its an interesring alteration. Pushes us a little sideways which we will have to be careful about, but i think its interesting.

We definately played a more positive brand of footy. We look so much sharper when Cherrington is on.

Of the players

Woods outsatnding
Sue was pure power
Aloai very impressive
Lawrence was strong
Kev and Nofo got caught out once badly in defense but otherwise very impressive.
Siro will have to lift on that effort.
All halves were good, Littlejohn will be the 7 round one.
Rankin will be on the wing.
Tesdesco is irreplaceable.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS


Fade To Black
Member
Member
Posts: 5183
Joined: Tue 21 Feb, 2012 5:51 pm

Post by Fade To Black » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 10:17 pm

tigermac88 wrote:Moses kicked 2 goals and rankin kicked 1... But you're right the goal kicking was not great
Yet a few people on here fail to see that poor goalkicking will bite us in the arse at critical times this season and in all probability cost us a few games.

supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 6821
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm

Post by supercoach » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 10:22 pm

Just back from the game, plenty to be pleased about and a few things that I still worry about. The team looked very well drilled and very constructive with the ball. players like Moses and Brooks are natural footballers.

We still look very shaky up the middle in defence. The sharks made plenty of yards by charging up the middle. In saying that the Sharks will be one of the better sides this year so it was a really good workout.

I was sitting in the eastern grandstand, was it Lovett who played back row in the second half on our left side. If so I thought he or who ever he was..was very impressive. Hard to find to many negative, but young Siro has to lift his work rate in both attack and defence, seems to wait till the game comes to him.

Not getting carried away but Taylor and his team seem to be getting it together

User avatar
swag tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 1827
Joined: Wed 11 Nov, 2015 2:58 pm
Location: tiger island

Post by swag tiger » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 10:22 pm

It was a draw the scores locked up at 30 all. Tries:tigers(Mitchell Moses,David Nofoaluma2,Jordan Rankin,Kevin Naiqama,Chris Lawance) conversions(Mitchell Moses 2/3 Jordan Rankin 1/3)
Sharks:(Sam Tagartaese,Valentine Holmes,Jack Bird2,Luke Lewis) conversions(James Maloney 5/5)
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Snake
Member
Member
Posts: 4808
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 5:37 pm

Post by Snake » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 10:27 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
tigermac88 wrote:Moses kicked 2 goals and rankin kicked 1... But you're right the goal kicking was not great
Yet a few people on here fail to see that poor goalkicking will bite us in the arse at critical times this season and in all probability cost us a few games.
Do not worry it was a common theme in the grand stand No kicker!

User avatar
foreveratiger
Member
Member
Posts: 11778
Joined: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 8:03 pm

Post by foreveratiger » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 10:27 pm

I didn't see the game Tonight at all, but in regards with the Farah vs Cherrington debate ?

Cherrington has a much quicker thought process from dummy half and knows what needs to be done before he picks up that ball from dummy half , where as Farah is so indecisive at times and dawdles out of dummy half and the play is lost cause he gets caught by the markers , but if Farah gets a quick play the ball ? he is King of getting the opposition markers Offside.
There is no doubt that this has to be Farah's last year.

The quicker we can get the Teddy , Moses , Brooks and Cherrington combination working together ? The quicker things will Gel.
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

king sirro
Member
Member
Posts: 5786
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 9:39 am

Post by king sirro » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 10:28 pm

supercoach wrote:Just back from the game, plenty to be pleased about and a few things that I still worry about. The team looked very well drilled and very constructive with the ball. players like Moses and Brooks are natural footballers.

We still look very shaky up the middle in defence. The sharks made plenty of yards by charging up the middle. In saying that the Sharks will be one of the better sides this year so it was a really good workout.

I was sitting in the eastern grandstand, was it Lovett who played back row in the second half on our left side. If so I thought he or who ever he was..was very impressive. Hard to find to many negative, but young Siro has to lift his work rate in both attack and defence, seems to wait till the game comes to him.

Not getting carried away but Taylor and his team seem to be getting it together
Yeh Lovett played on the keft late in the game. He went ok, couple of decent runs.

Thought Chee Kam was also good on the right when he came on for Siro
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 27849
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 10:31 pm

king sirro wrote:Really enjoyed the night at Cambo. Entertaining game for a trial with a lot of positives.

First 10 minutes we were a level above, then the next 20 minutes momentum swung to the sharks and we hardly had any ball. Even though we got hammered in the penalties during this time i still felt we had the Sharks covered.

2nd half we moved the ball around a fair bit but at times our defence was terrible. One time Teddy was screaming for players to move left and it was like they had no idea where they should be. Ball control last 10 minutes was worst ive ever seen

There is a noticable change to how our halves play. Often they came from near behind the play the ball and angle across to the open side. Its an interesring alteration. Pushes us a little sideways which we will have to be careful about, but i think its interesting.

We definately played a more positive brand of footy. We look so much sharper when Cherrington is on.

Of the players

Woods outsatnding
Sue was pure power
Aloai very impressive
Lawrence was strong
Kev and Nofo got caught out once badly in defense but otherwise very impressive.
Siro will have to lift on that effort.
All halves were good, Littlejohn will be the 7 round one.
Rankin will be on the wing.
Tesdesco is irreplaceable.
Pretty much agree.... good post...Will add most of the Sharks points came on the back of a penalty or an error from us....if we can't defend errors it will cause issues..need to be better at it...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm


Sorry FT , you know I'm not the brightest match in the pile

User avatar
foreveratiger
Member
Member
Posts: 11778
Joined: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 8:03 pm

Post by foreveratiger » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 10:33 pm

Curtis Sironen is a protected Species and should be out of here , his Surname is what saves his arse.

Lazy player alright . A stint in Reserve Grade is what he needs to get the Complacency out of his game.
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

king sirro
Member
Member
Posts: 5786
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 9:39 am

Post by king sirro » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 10:33 pm

Geo. wrote:
king sirro wrote:Really enjoyed the night at Cambo. Entertaining game for a trial with a lot of positives.

First 10 minutes we were a level above, then the next 20 minutes momentum swung to the sharks and we hardly had any ball. Even though we got hammered in the penalties during this time i still felt we had the Sharks covered.

2nd half we moved the ball around a fair bit but at times our defence was terrible. One time Teddy was screaming for players to move left and it was like they had no idea where they should be. Ball control last 10 minutes was worst ive ever seen

There is a noticable change to how our halves play. Often they came from near behind the play the ball and angle across to the open side. Its an interesring alteration. Pushes us a little sideways which we will have to be careful about, but i think its interesting.

We definately played a more positive brand of footy. We look so much sharper when Cherrington is on.

Of the players

Woods outsatnding
Sue was pure power
Aloai very impressive
Lawrence was strong
Kev and Nofo got caught out once badly in defense but otherwise very impressive.
Siro will have to lift on that effort.
All halves were good, Littlejohn will be the 7 round one.
Rankin will be on the wing.
Tesdesco is irreplaceable.
Pretty much agree.... good post...Will add most of the Sharks points came on the back of a penalty or an error from us....if we can't defend errors it will cause issues..need to be better at it...
I really liked how we owned Jack Bird all night. We made him look ordinary.

Also good to meet the great man Geo
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 21020
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 10:45 pm

Siro was useless. Glad people are starting to see it now.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3724
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by formerguest » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 10:47 pm

southerntiger wrote:
TIGER wrote:You have to remember Brooks and Cherrington are coming on when we are dominating possession and more field position and just getting all the cream, real easy to look good when its laid on a platter for you. Our set plays looked real good though, very good ball handling, timing etc looked like a training drill.
I understand that which is why I focused on the one thing that has nothing to do with the opposition or momentum - throwing a clean pass from dummy half.
For mine the two went hand in hand, particular from when Mania came on, with the highlights from last week showing the same thing. Clean ball from the ground had Brooks (and Moses to a lesser extent) going forward to the ball, forcing the defence make decisions and providing the catalyst for the momentum.

Like yourself, I have bemoaned the lack of decent service from dummy half for a good while now, and whilst Robbie can (or maybe could) do things no other nine can match that kept him a cut above, his basic service has never really been up to scratch.
Last edited by formerguest on Sat 20 Feb, 2016 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
foreveratiger
Member
Member
Posts: 11778
Joined: Mon 27 Jun, 2011 8:03 pm

Post by foreveratiger » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 10:47 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:Siro was useless. Glad people are starting to see it now.
I've always said it from the start.....years ago .
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 21020
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 10:52 pm

foreveratiger wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:Siro was useless. Glad people are starting to see it now.
I've always said it from the start.....years ago .
We've been in the minority. Don't think we will be this yr. This yr is his waterloo, if he fails the club need to cut him loose. Maybe give his brother a go. He couldn't do any worse.

Post Reply