Team Announcement: NRL Trial vs. Sharks

Pawsandclaws

Re: Team Announcement: NRL Trial vs. Sharks

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 7:29 am

Harvey wrote:The worrying sign was a lack of speed in defence, which lead to metres being conceded. Sue was great, I thought Grant was good and sure he played much bigger minutes than any other frontrower out there. Nofo loos set for a big year & the backline movements generally looked smoth whenever there was any combination of Brooks, Moses or Littlejohn. Drinkwater is not up to 1st grade standard and truly should be a last resort. Hunt looks shaky under the kick, but Rankin was not really tested. I do not think that we have an 80 minute backrower & will need to carry one on the bench to give Lawrence and/or Sironen a breather.
Nofoaluma made Feki look like a sprint champion. How many times have we seen him caught out on the inside and lacking the pace to cover his opposite winger who makes metres down the flank.

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 7:34 am

Boonboon2 wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
foreveratiger wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:Siro was useless. Glad people are starting to see it now.
I've always said it from the start.....years ago .
We've been in the minority. Don't think we will be this yr. This yr is his waterloo, if he fails the club need to cut him loose. Maybe give his brother a go. He couldn't do any worse.
Sorry I didn't see it and haven't really got the comments. He was hitting hard in defence, made some good runs including a really great run off cherrington and taking a couple of hard balls running off the props that come straight to mind. Unlike many he was playing his first game this week not his second.

He is a edge second rower, he isn't mean to chase into the middle to do work all night he is meant to be on the edge chopping people down and running off his halves. I thought he had a better year last year and looking forward to seeing him get better this year.
The defence he displayed last year was very poor IMO.
I don't keep a diary with me on the poor games he had but i recall talking to some Forumers after games of the laziness and desire he has demonstrated not that he would of been the only one copping criticism.
As an edge 2nd Rower doesn't hit the holes and runs the angles to my liking.....not fair to compare him to a Gareth Ellis but that is a true edge 2nd rower for me.

How the Hell he made the City side is a demonstration of just how laughable that Rep game really is.

He is entering his 5th year in 1st Grade and has played 57 games which is on average 14 games per year, injuries haven't been kind to him but I fail to see the big who ha about him.

The thing is he will be looked after by our Club cause of his Surname and to protect any possibility of Bayley Sirronen going elsewhere.

This is the year he needs to show his true value, he will be turning 23 this year.
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 8:42 am

I must admit it was some time into the game before I noticed no. 11 and looked at my team list to see who it was.
Did he play in the first half?

InBenjiWeTrust

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 8:47 am

Sironen shall be replaced by Aloiai, and than fight for his position, Aloiai offers so much more. Lawrence must be also on notice, Chee-Kam, McConnachie and Liolevave should be given a chance.
IMHO, Sue has finally arrived, his leg drive pushes him another 5 m after the tackle, lock shall be his position, as we have enough props.

:sign:

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 8:56 am

innsaneink wrote:
tigermac88 wrote:
foreveratiger wrote:Josh Aloiai is going to go places as i've said weeks ago . Come mid year he needs to have a Contract extension or we will lose a great gun , only here till end of next year .
Agree 100%
Im not sure he's ready for firsts yet. He looked to be struggling a little with the pace when I noticed he was on... Understandably. He's keen though
Funny how things can be seen differently, the beauty of footy and opinion i guess. I watched Josh and thought he was superb. He looked to make that extra effort defensively and i think you dont do that if your struggling with the pace. One time he got back into the line late but i put that down to him making the extra effort that others would not have made, he recovered his position well that play and didnt miss a beat.

If Edwards proves his worth then i think it could mean Josh moving to the edge placing pressure on Siro.

Definate first grader for mine but will need to come through and prove himself from the bench before he's looked at as a starter.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 8:58 am

InBenjiWeTrust wrote:Sironen shall be replaced by Aloiai, and than fight for his position, Aloiai offers so much more. Lawrence must be also on notice, Chee-Kam, McConnachie and Liolevave should be given a chance.
IMHO, Sue has finally arrived, his leg drive pushes him another 5 m after the tackle, lock shall be his position, as we have enough props.

Lawrence was very good. Once he's match fit he will get through 80 minutes no problem and be the first backrower picked.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 9:01 am

InBenjiWeTrust wrote:Sironen shall be replaced by Aloiai, and than fight for his position, Aloiai offers so much more. Lawrence must be also on notice, Chee-Kam, McConnachie and Liolevave should be given a chance.

Well Taylor holds the fortunes of the team ..after watching last night he has options for non performing types ..last nights trial was that a trial some players put in others protect themselves from injury for the start of the season.
If the non performing continues at the start of the season Taylor will only have himself to blame if he finds the axe hovering as he has options in many positions .Interesting times ahead .....I am looking forward to the season opener .

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 9:30 am

Boonboon2 wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
foreveratiger wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:Siro was useless. Glad people are starting to see it now.
I've always said it from the start.....years ago .
We've been in the minority. Don't think we will be this yr. This yr is his waterloo, if he fails the club need to cut him loose. Maybe give his brother a go. He couldn't do any worse.
Sorry I didn't see it and haven't really got the comments. He was hitting hard in defence, made some good runs including a really great run off cherrington and taking a couple of hard balls running off the props that come straight to mind. Unlike many he was playing his first game this week not his second.

He is a edge second rower, he isn't mean to chase into the middle to do work all night he is meant to be on the edge chopping people down and running off his halves. I thought he had a better year last year and looking forward to seeing him get better this year.
Certainly didn't chop Tagatese down on the edge...more like let him stroll by to score...as an edge second rower you would expect more ..but it's just a trial...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 9:43 am

Did you actually watch the game?

Have no idea what you expect from Rowdy then if you have him on notice.
Chee-Kam, McConnachie and Liolevave are nowhere near as good at this stage - maybe next year but not now.

Loved what Aloiai did whilst he was on - a lot different to playing more minutes which I don't think he is capable of at this stage. Siro is the whipping boy at the moment so I understand people loving to say "I told you so", "have been saying this for years" etc. I thought he went ok - not brilliant but ok.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 9:49 am

I'd love to see a replay on TV. Hard to keep track of whose on and off In a trial, plus didn't have my binoculars... PA was useless, and I'm recognising players less and less these days... I noticed another no. 1 late in the game in the centres I'm guessing was chee kam... Plus other players in white shorts where most had black

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 10:02 am

Yeh Innk that was Chee kam. Thought he was on for Siro in the backrow, but i was on the other side, maybe he was in the centres.

Just on Siro, the thing that concerned me last night was the realisation that an edge backrower needs to have that natural power to hit and stick. They can get isolated so much these days and if they cant change direction quickly and hit hard at the same time then they miss tackles when in vulnerable positions. Siro's miss on Tagatese was a perfect example, he was looking at 3 different players and when Tagatese got the balll Curtis had to move late to make the tackle, and much like Lovett in these situations he had no hope. While someone with that power like Lawrence, Sue, Edwards, Halatau etc have a better chance of stopping those situations. Its made me think that a more explosive power edge backrower is whats needed.

Sue looked very mobile last night, and easily our most powerful player, maybe if we can find a good middle player then Sue can move to the edge.

For the record the 2 players in state cup who looked most likley to be first graders were both middle players in Griffin and JJ Felise. JJ looks like he could be anything.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 10:04 am

innsaneink wrote:I'd love to see a replay on TV. Hard to keep track of whose on and off In a trial, plus didn't have my binoculars... PA was useless, and I'm recognising players less and less these days... I noticed another no. 1 late in the game in the centres I'm guessing was chee kam... Plus other players in white shorts where most had black
It's on youtube Ink...here you go

Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 10:06 am

Awesome thanks geo

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 10:11 am

Sue did this well last night even after copping some heavy initial impact.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 10:23 am

king sirro wrote:Yeh Innk that was Chee kam. Thought he was on for Siro in the backrow, but i was on the other side, maybe he was in the centres.

Just on Siro, the thing that concerned me last night was the realisation that an edge backrower needs to have that natural power to hit and stick. They can get isolated so much these days and if they cant change direction quickly and hit hard at the same time then they miss tackles when in vulnerable positions. Siro's miss on Tagatese was a perfect example, he was looking at 3 different players and when Tagatese got the balll Curtis had to move late to make the tackle, and much like Lovett in these situations he had no hope. While someone with that power like Lawrence, Sue, Edwards, Halatau etc have a better chance of stopping those situations. Its made me think that a more explosive power edge backrower is whats needed.

Sue looked very mobile last night, and easily our most powerful player, maybe if we can find a good middle player then Sue can move to the edge.

For the record the 2 players in state cup who looked most likley to be first graders were both middle players in Griffin and JJ Felise. JJ looks like he could be anything.
I have always been of the view that Sue's best position is on the edge. Both in defence and attack. Once Edwards is fit, I would play him in the 13 and Sue and Lawrence on the edge.

Im still a believer in Siro. He has all the attributes to be a representative player. Part of his problem, I believe, is that he played all his juniors in the halves. He still runs like a 6 - not committed to the contact.

As a general observation, we are still playing too much inside out. The sweep play with Teddy became very predictable last year and we need runners coming outside in to create indecision in the defence.
Last edited by southerntiger on Sun 21 Feb, 2016 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 11:31 am

Russell wrote:

Chee-Kam, McConnachie and Liolevave are nowhere near as good at this stage - maybe next year but not now.

Loved what Aloiai did whilst he was on - a lot different to playing more minutes which I don't think he is capable of at this stage. Siro is the whipping boy at the moment so I understand people loving to say "I told you so", "have been saying this for years" etc. I thought he went ok - not brilliant but ok.
Your statement of not brilliant but ok is part of the problem at this club ....bad luck OK is not good enough you have to be Brilliant to be apart of this tigers team or it is see you latter there are now players in the lower grades hungry and waiting for the chance .The same goes for the coach being OK is not good enough put up or see you latter ...I have had a gut full of the mediocrity this club has dished up year after year it is now time for the hammer to be applied to everybody at the club ,the team has to step up and be taken seriously not the joke of the league.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 11:38 am

Snake wrote:
Russell wrote:

Your statement of not brilliant but ok is part of the problem at this club ....bad luck OK is not good enough you have to be Brilliant to be apart of this tigers team or it is see you latter there are now players in the lower grades hungry and waiting for the chance .The same goes for the coach being OK is not good enough put up or see you latter ...I have had a gut full of the mediocrity this club has dished up year after year it is now time for the hammer to be applied to everybody at the club ,the team has to step up and be taken seriously not the joke of the league.
I'm not sure he was endorsing OK as being good enough, just saying that was how he thought he played...you're right though, we should be setting high standards and putting clear consequences in place for failing to live up to them, especially where a lack of effort and commitment is concerned.

tigermac88

Post by tigermac88 » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 11:52 am

Snake wrote:
Russell wrote:

Yep, everybody has accountability with their job why should a career in league be any different...