Post by Tony33 » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 1:31 am

3. Sue
2. Tedesco
1. Moses

Honourable Mentions: Brooks, Aiolai, Grant, Woods, Cherrington
2015 - The Year The Dynasty Began...

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 2:49 am

Bones wrote:The concern i have is how easy the Sharks were rolloing up the field in the first half. We were losing the ruck and the line speed wasn't good.
A fit Joel Edwards and Billy McConnachie will go a very long way to solving this problem.

InBenjiWeTrust

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 8:51 am

3 Tedesco
2 Woods
1 Sue

Moses, Aloiai, Seumanufagai, Brooks, Naiqama, Cherington were all good.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 8:57 am

Having watched the whole trial last night there was some good positives come out of that game.Tedesco will definitely help win some games this year and will get better when Brooks and Moses are in the halves for most of the season..Lovett showed much improvement in running the ball and surprised me how fit he looked,he may have a very good year this year..Simona,Noofa and Kev did well albeit some minor mistakes,but that's what trials are about,getting ready for the season proper.Sue was very good last night and I predict he will be the real hard working workhorse we need in the forward pack,Woods played well as did Robbie,although when Mania came on I think he provided much better service from dummy half,much quicker and direct passing..Cassell looks like he will be hard tough defender and did well when on...the downside of last night was the goal kicking..If Moses is to be the kicker he must have a much better strike rate and I think JT is working on him and Rankin for the goalkicking duties...the team played more confidently and threw the ball around a fair bit,some exciting times ahead,remember guys give the team and JT the chance to show us what we can do this year,there is going to be some good and bad games,but let's enjoy the ride.....

On a side note,we were found wanting up the middle again on occasions and the Sharkies made good metres,once JT tightens it up,we won't concede a lot of ground in that area,but again it was a trial and JT has a bit of work to do in this regard before the season opener..cheers ... :D
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

tigeress

Post by tigeress » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 9:15 am

tiga4eva wrote:I went out to the game so didn't have the benefit of replays, we looked so much better when Brooks came on. But I also thought we improved when Farah left the field. A super player but has the game passed him by?. Please don't make this a Robbie v Taylor thread because it's not, I just think Manaia needs to play a bigger role in this side.
I agree with you tiga, things really got moving once Cherrington came on the field, I think we may have caught the Sharks napping, maybe they weren't expecting what happened. It was a very fast, sharp 20 mins or so. The only downside I could identify was our goal kicking :bash Good work Tigers :righton: so for me who played best : Cherrington, Alohia (wrong spelling) Sue, Tedesco and others too numerous to mention. Impressive.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 9:28 am

2 things stood out for me, much more positive attack fron the halves, and it looks like we defend with one less player than the opposition. Always look a man short
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 10:03 am

Watching the Broncos defend Wigan's endless 2nd man plays effortlessly this morning.... Then thinking how we constantly get sucked in to these offenses. We have a way to go still
Our goal line defence was poor... It's like everyone doing their own thing

strrretch

Post by strrretch » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 10:52 am

I thought Teddy was one of the best on the park, as usual. Though was impressed by many.
Overall was a good showing against a formidable side.
The extra options (Rankin, Littlejohn ,Cherrington ,Grant) we have this year are looking good, I thought our forwards were great and am confident they can hold their own this year.
Did we hold them scoreless in the second half? pretty good considering all the points scored.
Was great to see a trials live on the net too...thanks to Cambelltown council apparently, good one, much enjoyed

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 11:48 am

strrretch wrote:I thought Teddy was one of the best on the park, as usual. Though was impressed by many.
The extra options (Rankin, Littlejohn ,Cherrington ,Grant) we have this year are looking good, I thought our forwards were great and am confident they can hold their own this year.
Did we hold them scoreless in the second half? pretty good considering all the points scored.
Was great to see a trials live on the net too...thanks to Cambelltown council apparently, good one, much enjoyed
Teddy was very good so I feel bad picking out a negative but his positioning on the Luke Lewis try was woeful. Doubt he could have stopped a try but can't understand why he was defending in the line. He was in the field of play when Lewis put the ball down.

Positioning has been the only flaw I have noticed in Teddy's game. He needs to work on it.

swag tiger

Post by swag tiger » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 12:06 pm

strrretch wrote:I thought Teddy was one of the best on the park, as usual. Though was impressed by many.
The Sharks scored the first try of the second half.
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Winner of FIFA world cup LMS 2018 Winner of WTF Draft 2

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 12:25 pm

From my observations of the the game last night I think we have something to look forward to in 2016.

JT will be faced with a few decisions that on the surface do not seem critical but will in fact have a great influence on our season (imo of course).

There is a vast difference in the team depending on who the dummy half is. Robbie is obviously the better defender and more experienced and probably better in a more critical game winning situation. However he jars the attack by slow service from the PTB area, mostly by taking one or two steps before passing; this means a forward running a line, or the half has to slow, to stop over running the pass, or it cuts decision making time down for the halves - if they are running to the line the defense is almost on top of them when they get the ball (takes away their options and makes them look bad). I am sure you all know this, so I am not telling you anything here.
Cherrington on the other hand delivers quick passes from the PTB which gives the forwards running a line the opportunity to keep increasing their speed until they hit the line or to change direction - the halves are able to have much more time to play what is in front of them and make better decisions or to have more time for their kicks. His defense at this stage is not that great and obviously has less experience having played less NRL and is not capable of playing 80 minutes. Both are about the same level running from the PTB.

So, first decision is - they are both of benefit to the team but in different ways with different attributes that can be of great use. Who to use when and for how long. I think Robbie to run on and at least the last 10 minutes if we are in front.
Cherrington if we are behind especially in the last 10 if this is the case. The remainder of the scenario is up to JT. What do you guys think?

The correct choice of left winger - I think if what we read is correct i.e. Moses not to kick then Rankin picks himself. Unfortunately I think Hunt played himself out of contention and Addo-Carr whilst quick, needs to work on his defense for awhile in the lower grade (he looks like he could be a very good winger though and seems to have the right frame of mind).

We also (obvious from watching last nights game) need to bolster up the defense in the middle. Now Woods, Grant, Sue, Ava and whoever are responsible for this - there should be no excuses, we cannot win letting the flood gates open.

Can see some good improvement though. Thoughts

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 3:44 pm

TrueTiger wrote:Having watched the whole trial last night there was some good positives come out of that game.Tedesco will definitely help win some games this year and will get better when Brooks and Moses are in the halves for most of the season..Lovett showed much improvement in running the ball and surprised me how fit he looked,he may have a very good year this year..Simona,Noofa and Kev did well albeit some minor mistakes,but that's what trials are about,getting ready for the season proper.Sue was very good last night and I predict he will be the real hard working workhorse we need in the forward pack,Woods played well as did Robbie,although when Mania came on I think he provided much better service from dummy half,much quicker and direct passing..Cassell looks like he will be hard tough defender and did well when on...the downside of last night was the goal kicking..If Moses is to be the kicker he must have a much better strike rate and I think JT is working on him and Rankin for the goalkicking duties...the team played more confidently and threw the ball around a fair bit,some exciting times ahead,remember guys give the team and JT the chance to show us what we can do this year,there is going to be some good and bad games,but let's enjoy the ride.....

On a side note,we were found wanting up the middle again on occasions and the Sharkies made good metres,once JT tightens it up,we won't concede a lot of ground in that area,but again it was a trial and JT has a bit of work to do in this regard before the season opener..cheers ... :D

Good post TT. They better hurry up and get the D right. There's only 6 more sleeps before Kickoff... Yeeey! :D

phil1986

Post by phil1986 » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 3:52 pm

Newtown wrote:
Bones wrote:The concern i have is how easy the Sharks were rolloing up the field in the first half. We were losing the ruck and the line speed wasn't good.
A fit Joel Edwards and Billy McConnachie will go a very long way to solving this problem.
Billy looked off the pace in first division. He was off the bench, and whilst makes great contact, still didn't have a massive impact.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 3:57 pm

Teddy was our best on park. He was in everything, and while I think we use him too often in attack, his defence looks improved.

Sue appeared to busy and looks to of taken on more work since last year. Hope this continues.

Nofo - He looks strong, fit and hungry. This could be a big year for him if all goes well.

I'd say Littlejohn will get the 7 jumper for round 1, but he only looks like a handy fill-in. Seems a little below this level over-all.

Still thinking Hunt will be on the left wing over Rankin? & Addo Carr. Not sure why Rankin is even being considered as a Winger, surely he is better closer to the ruck with ball in hand.

Need to work harder in D... 24 points from the Sharks was a concern!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 4:13 pm

Nofoaluma and Simona injury free will go a long way to making us competitive imo.