Soccer talk and Banter , keep it all here

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Soccer talk and Banter , keep it all here

Unread post by FreddyK » Tue 05 Sep, 2017 10:47 pm

And the pundits will say how unlucky we were. We are simply just not good enough. 46 shots on goal against a team ranked 131 and we scrape over the line.

Frankly, I think that there is a message coming out of this game and it is loud and clear: our opinion of our game is well ahead of our ability.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 44 times

Unread post by jadtiger » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 12:00 am

Mediocre at best

Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 40 times

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 8:20 am

We had 7982 shots on goal and managed 2 goals. Thailand had 3 and got 1.

We don't know how to counter attack and we sure as shiv can't put a cross in that would threaten any real opposition and Ange could turn Brazil into a bog average team with his tactics.

Saudis beat Japan so we now have to play Syria and then a North American side to qualify for Russia.

swag tiger
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by swag tiger » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 8:39 am

Tiger Come Lately wrote:
Wed 06 Sep, 2017 8:20 am

We don't know how to counter attack and we sure as shiv can't put a cross in that would threaten any real opposition and Ange could turn Brazil into a bog average team with his tactics.

Saudis beat Japan so we now have to play Syria and then a North American side to qualify for Russia.
2 goals from 40 shots and a South American team.
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

swag tiger

Unread post by swag tiger » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 9:01 am

Looks like it will be the USA.
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 40 times

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 9:18 am

swag tiger wrote:
Wed 06 Sep, 2017 8:39 am
Tiger Come Lately wrote:

lets not let the facts get in the way of my rant! :D

swag tiger

Unread post by swag tiger » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 9:25 am

Tiger Come Lately wrote:
Wed 06 Sep, 2017 9:18 am
swag tiger wrote:
Wed 06 Sep, 2017 8:39 am
Tiger Come Lately wrote:

lets not let the facts get in the way of my rant! :D
Ok :D

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 138 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 12:17 pm

Disappointing result. The football gods weren't smiling on us unfortunately. Can't believe we had so many hit the woodwork.

Boggles the mind why Cahill started deep. He should have been sat in the box. Juric and Rogic must have shanked three quarters of their efforts on goal, must have been a few concussions among the poor punters behind the nets.

Still in it though.
John Wayne would never use a surge protector!

Fuerza en la adversidad.

TigerSJ
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by TigerSJ » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 12:34 pm

Same as it's always been - we just can't finish. We simply do not have the type or quality of players that given half a chance, can put the ball in the back of the net.

ALX22
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by ALX22 » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 1:18 pm

#AngeOut

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 2:08 pm

everett8 wrote:
Fri 01 Sep, 2017 8:27 am
What is happening to Australian Sport.
Rugby Union, Cricket and Soccer teams get beaten. No decent tennis players
The current generation is more concerned with building their online profile rather than their resume. They are looking for the fastest way to the top and are not putting the effort in to reach their goals, thus their output is not at the highest levels consistently enough. This is really becoming apparent in sport. Everyone wants the million dollar contract but how many are putting the extras in at training or in the gym to facilitate this? I wager not hardly anywhere near enough.

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by FreddyK » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 2:41 pm

stryker wrote:
Wed 06 Sep, 2017 2:08 pm
everett8 wrote:
Fri 01 Sep, 2017 8:27 am
What is happening to Australian Sport.
Rugby Union, Cricket and Soccer teams get beaten. No decent tennis players
The current generation is more concerned with building their online profile rather than their resume. They are looking for the fastest way to the top and are not putting the effort in to reach their goals, thus their output is not at the highest levels consistently enough. This is really becoming apparent in sport. Everyone wants the million dollar contract but how many are putting the extras in at training or in the gym to facilitate this? I wager not hardly anywhere near enough.
A little doom and gloom there.

When have we been competitive in Soccer? Tennis? Rugby Union? Yes there was recently a short period when we dominated Rugby but other than that? We can forget team sports (other than league and Netball) - just too much competition between codes. However, we are still producing quality swimmers, golfers and the odd tennis player.

I also would suggest that if Australia had soccer as its ONLY football code we would have already won a world cup or two and would be in the world top 10.

Now here is a proposed Australian soccer team using only current NRL players (given their skill I would suggest they would come close to winning the cup) - GI as our striker, Billy Slater as our number 10, Tom Trbojevic and James Tedesco on the wings, Jonathon Thurston and Benji Marshall in the midfield, Boyd Cordner in goal, Matt Gillet and Cameron Smith central defenders and Vunivalu left back and Addo-Carr on the right flank.

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 3:26 pm

FreddyK wrote:
Wed 06 Sep, 2017 2:41 pm
When have we been competitive in Soccer? Tennis? Rugby Union? Yes there was recently a short period when we dominated Rugby but other than that? We can forget team sports (other than league and Netball) - just too much competition between codes. However, we are still producing quality swimmers, golfers and the odd tennis player.
I am not the person to ask about soccer, however from a very casual observer we have had some successful squads 10 years back. We have had some very good tennis players who enjoyed great success in past couple of decades...Cash, Rafter, Hewitt, The Woodies...even the Scud. The wallabies used to compete in every game they played. World cups, Bledisloes, British and Irish Lions tour victories. There was a long period when they were either top dog or number 2. Our last 2 Olympic campaigns have produced below par results. Golfers are going alright, but only a couple of them, we used to have quite a few who competed regularly at high levels. The Australian swimming team is ranked 5th in the world. Not long ago we were pushing the yanks for bragging rights as the best.
Australia is starting to struggle at sport...we lose this current cricket test and the squad is ranked 6th in the world...crazy to think!
Rugby League, Basketball, Surfing and Netball are waving the flag currently but there is no doubt, we are dropping off.

eyewonder
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by eyewonder » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 4:21 pm

Our golden era included players like neil,kewell,viduka,schwartzer, brechiano and an up and coming tim Cahill.
The only players in the present squad who could hold a candle to that group would be aaron mooy and jadenak.
Australia doesnt have the players in the present squad to threaten quality sides- they try hard but they are not good enough.

and didnt the referee give some howler decisions against thailand lat night.they didnt have the soccer gods on their side,last night,to be fair.

Marshall_magic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Marshall_magic » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 8:09 pm

swag tiger wrote:
Wed 06 Sep, 2017 9:01 am
Looking at CONCACAF now, they have two rounds left, Trinidad are out of the running & thankfully Mexico have qualified

Mexico 18 +8
Costa Rica 15 +7
Panama 10 +2
------
USA 9 +1
-------
Honduras 9 -7
Trinidad 3 -11

last two rounds of matches
USA vs Panama
Costa Rica vs Honduras
Mexico vs Trinidad

Trinidad vs USA
Panama vs Costa Rica
Honduras vs Mexico

I think the USA vs Panama game willl decide who we play, America win they'll jump to 3rd and should knock over Trinidad for to wrap up third place, if Panama win they would wrap up auto qualification. Personally it's a tough call for me, we can go a better scouting job of the Seppos due to their players playing in more prominent leagues (MLS is easily accessible plus they have a lot of Bundesliga players in their squad) but they will also have more quality. I think either way we go in as underdogs.

steve-o
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by steve-o » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 8:18 pm

I try so hard to get into the a league, I really do. But it's 8:15pm and this Sydney FC vs victory game is putting me to sleep
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

Yossarian
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 107 times

Unread post by Yossarian » Sat 07 Oct, 2017 9:04 pm

Marshall_magic wrote:
Wed 06 Sep, 2017 8:09 pm
swag tiger wrote:
Wed 06 Sep, 2017 9:01 am
Looking at CONCACAF now, they have two rounds left, Trinidad are out of the running & thankfully Mexico have qualified

Mexico 18 +8
Costa Rica 15 +7
Panama 10 +2
------
USA 9 +1
-------
Honduras 9 -7
Trinidad 3 -11

last two rounds of matches
USA vs Panama
Costa Rica vs Honduras
Mexico vs Trinidad

Trinidad vs USA
Panama vs Costa Rica
Honduras vs Mexico

I think the USA vs Panama game willl decide who we play, America win they'll jump to 3rd and should knock over Trinidad for to wrap up third place, if Panama win they would wrap up auto qualification. Personally it's a tough call for me, we can go a better scouting job of the Seppos due to their players playing in more prominent leagues (MLS is easily accessible plus they have a lot of Bundesliga players in their squad) but they will also have more quality. I think either way we go in as underdogs.
Well the US smashed Panama 4-0 so it looks like either Panama and Honduras

Marshall_magic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Marshall_magic » Sun 08 Oct, 2017 2:12 pm

Probably Panama now, but barring 3 crazy upsets we avoid America. If we can't beat Panama or Honduras over 2 legs we don't deserve to go to the cup.

Return to “Other Sports”