happy tiger
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 36 times

Re: Soccer talk and Banter , keep it all here

Unread post by happy tiger » Sat 11 Nov, 2017 12:05 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sat 11 Nov, 2017 10:53 am
0-0...What a yawn
Yeah true Ink , but if someone had told me we would walk away from Honduras with a draw I'd have been ecstatic

The commentators have a lovefest with Jedinak , he created 4 turnovers that I counted and many of those were in the 1st half so tiredness can't be the excuse

Milligan in for him at home in my opinion

Luongo was a deserving MOTM in my opinion , really created lots and looked our most dangerous player

Mooy was good , but late in the game he put three dead balls into the crowd when we were pushing hard

Marshall_magic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Marshall_magic » Sat 11 Nov, 2017 5:20 pm

I would have taken a draw, but the nature of it is disappointing. We had 2-3 great chances to go one up, and they barely created anything. Still, play like that in Sydney and we will go through. Apart from the final shot though, we played very well. Hard to find a player that was poor, even Juric who missed a few chances was very good with the hold up play. I'd only make one or two changes tops for Sydney, getting blokes like Leckie & Cahill in, who can produce the goods in the final third.

On another note, the pitch was an absolute disgrace. I've seen potato fields that are more balanced than that.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Sat 11 Nov, 2017 5:26 pm

Marshall_magic wrote:
Sat 11 Nov, 2017 5:20 pm
I would have taken a draw, but the nature of it is disappointing. We had 2-3 great chances to go one up, and they barely created anything. Still, play like that in Sydney and we will go through. Apart from the final shot though, we played very well. Hard to find a player that was poor, even Juric who missed a few chances was very good with the hold up play. I'd only make one or two changes tops for Sydney, getting blokes like Leckie & Cahill in, who can produce the goods in the final third.

On another note, the pitch was an absolute disgrace. I've seen potato fields that are more balanced than that.
Supposedly the pitch had something to do with massive amounts of rainfall in Honduras over the previous days , they were literally covering certain parts of the field with tarps so it would be playable

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 137 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 12 Nov, 2017 11:35 pm

Backline and midfield did their jobs, Juric absolutely baffles me. Had a brilliant first touch to put himself through the defenders and crapped his daks when all he had to do was put it on target.

Had another opporutunity go begging when they threaded a pass into the six yard box. We had three players inside the box and not one of them got a hoof to it.

At least Cahill should be right and we'll have Leckie back so we'll have someone who can put in a half decent cross and someone who can bury one. We looked so much better at the back with Jedinak back. Maclaren has to at least be in consideration.
John Wayne would never use a surge protector!

Fuerza en la adversidad.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 13 Nov, 2017 4:50 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Sun 12 Nov, 2017 11:35 pm
Backline and midfield did their jobs, Juric absolutely baffles me. Had a brilliant first touch to put himself through the defenders and crapped his daks when all he had to do was put it on target.

Had another opporutunity go begging when they threaded a pass into the six yard box. We had three players inside the box and not one of them got a hoof to it.

At least Cahill should be right and we'll have Leckie back so we'll have someone who can put in a half decent cross and someone who can bury one. We looked so much better at the back with Jedinak back. Maclaren has to at least be in consideration.
Jedinak was the bloke who looked like Ned Kelly right ??

I must have been watching a different game

Cahill back and Leckie back should help , wonder what the status of Kruse will be

What's Besart Berisha done to Postecoglou , easily the best striker in this country by a mile and he doesn't even make the squad

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 13 Nov, 2017 5:00 pm

Might be able the Berisha question

Checked on Wiki and he is listed as having played a game for Kosovo in 2017

I guess the question then becomes is Kosovo listed as a FIFA nation and has he decided not to become an Aussie .......

Cultured Bogan

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 13 Nov, 2017 5:06 pm

Pretty sure he's played for Albania a squillion times before too.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 13 Nov, 2017 5:13 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Mon 13 Nov, 2017 5:06 pm
Pretty sure he's played for Albania a squillion times before too.
The issue was I saw him interviewed on a sports show late last year and he said he was becoming a naturalised Australian on January 26 (well he said January ,I'm assuming he would of done it Australian Day )

Obviously seeing how weak we are up front with actual strikers it pricked my ears up

The other thing that annoyed me with Fox's coverage was Boz's comments in regards to strikers

He said that's why they earn the big bucks , because its the hardest thing to do

I disagree , it's not the hardest thing to do , it's the most important thing to do

Creating those chances for the strikers in my opinion is far harder

eyewonder
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by eyewonder » Mon 13 Nov, 2017 5:22 pm

berisha i a fiery fellow but he sure knows how to score goals.

Marshall_magic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Marshall_magic » Mon 13 Nov, 2017 6:33 pm

Who does Leckie come in for? Assuming Cahill comes in as a straight swap for Juric, but I am not sure Leckie fits in. I think he is wasted as a wing back (personally I would keep Behich and Risdon in the side, both play the role of a wing back well), which means he has to come in as a midfielder, but who goes out? Mooy is too important to leave out, Luongo was fantastic in the away leg and I would want Irvine in my starting team as well. Definitely a touch call for the boss.

Personally I think we will see

Ryan
Jurman Sainsbury Wright
Leckie Jedinak Luongo Behich
Kruse Mooy
Cahill

I wouldn't have Kruse anywhere near the team, but you know he will be there. Should still be enough to get the win at home.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 13 Nov, 2017 6:50 pm

Marshall_magic wrote:
Mon 13 Nov, 2017 6:33 pm
Who does Leckie come in for? Assuming Cahill comes in as a straight swap for Juric, but I am not sure Leckie fits in. I think he is wasted as a wing back (personally I would keep Behich and Risdon in the side, both play the role of a wing back well), which means he has to come in as a midfielder, but who goes out? Mooy is too important to leave out, Luongo was fantastic in the away leg and I would want Irvine in my starting team as well. Definitely a touch call for the boss.

Personally I think we will see

Ryan
Jurman Sainsbury Wright
Leckie Jedinak Luongo Behich
Kruse Mooy
Cahill

I wouldn't have Kruse anywhere near the team, but you know he will be there. Should still be enough to get the win at home.
Hoping to see a 5-3-2 set up personally allowing the back 3 to sit back and wing backs to continually push forward

We should control the midfield still despite the players that Honduras will bring in

The one thing that really annoyed was we didn't have a player floating in the midfield when we had free kicks and corners , obviously you don't the ball to be cleared but more often than not it was and we turned the ball as we had no one floating to re set our attack which is when Cahill and Luongo in particular can be very dangerous

I don't feel we should start with Jedinak , much prefer Milligan especially as I can't see Jedinak being able to back up another 90 minute performance when he hasn't played 2 back to back for so long

Our biggest concern is our back 3 lack speed and it is one area that Honduras can hurt us on the counter attack as they do have speed up front

I don't think this game will be one sided that's for sure

Tacky
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 53 times

Unread post by Tacky » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 10:35 am

Italy lose to Sweden on aggregate and miss their first World Cup in 60 years. And Buffon retires from international football.
WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

Cultured Bogan

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 1:18 pm

Leckie has to come in. We are a poorer attacking side without him and it showed in Honduras.

Also, massive LOL @ Italy... #NeverForget

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 40 times

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 2:26 pm

Im concerned for the next game. The slow pitch didn't give the Hondurans the chance to counter attack with speed. It will be different here.

Also our ability to convert chances into goals is shocking.

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by FreddyK » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 2:48 pm

Tiger Come Lately wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 2:26 pm
Im concerned for the next game. The slow pitch didn't give the Hondurans the chance to counter attack with speed. It will be different here.

Also our ability to convert chances into goals is shocking.
And let's not forget about the away goal rule and furthermore we always have at least one mistake between our back three. Oh and let's not forget our terrible conversion rate.

momo&medo
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by momo&medo » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 3:18 pm

Well really ..... if we can’t beat this mob we just don’t deserve to be in the WC.
It’s just very poor that we couldn’t qualify through our group stages.
When you see the quality that Europe and South America and to some extent Africa groups have to get through ..... well it’s just extremely bad performance by the players and the coach.
If we can’t win this by at least 3 clear goals .... there needs to be an investigation@#$&.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 3:46 pm

momo&medo wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 3:18 pm
Well really ..... if we can’t beat this mob we just don’t deserve to be in the WC.
When you see the quality that Europe and South America and to some extent Africa groups have to get through ..... well it’s just extremely bad performance by the players and the coach.
If we can’t win this by at least 3 clear goals .... there needs to be an investigation@#$&.
Their arguably 3 best players missed the Honduran game either through injury or suspension

On a faster track they will be a completely different beast , I will nervously take the win if it comes , wipe the sweat off my brow and hope we can somehow find a striker before the World cup finals start

momo&medo
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by momo&medo » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 4:23 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 3:46 pm
momo&medo wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 3:18 pm
Their arguably 3 best players missed the Honduran game either through injury or suspension

On a faster track they will be a completely different beast , I will nervously take the win if it comes , wipe the sweat off my brow and hope we can somehow find a striker before the World cup finals start
Well we shouldn’t be in “wipe the sweat” mode. It should have been done and dusted but for stuffing around the grand plan by the coach.
Anyway it is what it is.
For mine Jurich, Rogic to start and Cahil to come on with fresh legs.

Return to “Other Sports”