ARU to axe Force or Rebels this week

Newtown
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Newtown » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 4:41 pm

By AAP
an hour ago

The ARU insists scrapping the Melbourne Rebels or Western Force is in Australian rugby's best interests because it's bleeding money and simply can't sustain five teams.

CEO Bill Pulver revealed on Monday the national governing body had spent $28 million in "unbudgeted funding" on Super Rugby since 2013 and had to stop the financial haemorrhaging.

Players from the Force and Rebels will learn within the next two to three days which of their teams will be axed by the ARU after the governing body has consulted with both to better understand their position and prospects.

But players and fans are no wiser as to which team will get the chop, with both Pulver and ARU chairman Cameron Clyne saying the Rebels had no edge over the Force because they were privately owned.

Read more at http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/04/10/10/5 ... QeFzibl.99

Some rugby players to be available for new signing?

jirskyr
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 86 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 4:42 pm

WHO CARES?

No offence, I just like to stomp on Rugby and AFL any chance I get.

WHO CARES?

Fade To Black
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 41 times

Unread post by Fade To Black » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 5:07 pm

Rona and Korobeite would be worth a sniff around. We need another winger to partner Nofo.

phil1986
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by phil1986 » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 5:11 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Mon 10 Apr, 2017 5:07 pm
Rona and Korobeite would be worth a sniff around. We need another winger to partner Nofo.
Would be happy with either or both of those.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 5:16 pm

Great some more players that Cleary has to teach to tackle

Newtown

Unread post by Newtown » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 5:40 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Mon 10 Apr, 2017 4:42 pm
WHO CARES?

WHO CARES?
You certainly are adamant that you don't care for Rugby but I certainly have to disagree on this one. Here is a list of just some former Rugby players who made a very successful transition to Rugby League;

Dally Messenger, Michael Cleary, Russell Fairfax, Wally Lewis, Cooper Cronk, Rex Mossop, Michael O'Connor, Ray Price, Kevin Ryan, Ricky Stuart, Sonny Bill Williams, Brad Thorn, Wendell Sailor, Ben Kennedy, Darryl Halligan.

Having quality Rugby players transition to Rugby League would increase the quality of Rugby League and stamp the standing of Rugby League against Rugby.

Also Jirsky you have now have no hope of stamping AFL out of NSW.

Yes, Happy, some if not all the players I have highlighted above could actually tackle.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 5:46 pm

Newtown wrote:
Mon 10 Apr, 2017 5:40 pm
jirskyr wrote:
WHO CARES?

WHO CARES?
You certainly are adamant that you don't care for Rugby but I certainly have to disagree on this one. Here is a list of just some former Rugby players who made a very successful transition to Rugby League;

Dally Messenger, Michael Cleary, Russell Fairfax, Wally Lewis, Cooper Cronk, Rex Mossop, Michael O'Connor, Ray Price, Kevin Ryan, Ricky Stuart, Sonny Bill Williams, Brad Thorn, Wendell Sailor, Ben Kennedy, Darryl Halligan.

Having quality Rugby players transition to Rugby League would increase the quality of Rugby League and stamp the standing of Rugby League against Rugby.

Yes, Happy, some if not all the players I have highlighted above could actually tackle.
I haven't seen one player on either list of the Rebels or Force who could wipe the behinds of the players on your list Newtown

Big difference

Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 71 times

Unread post by 851 » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 6:30 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Mon 10 Apr, 2017 5:07 pm
Rona is at the Western Force, and Koro at the Rebels, so one will be available, and yes it would be a good pick up.
Go hard or go home

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 197 times

Unread post by Geo. » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 6:47 pm

jirskyr wrote:
WHO CARES?

WHO CARES?
:lol: :lol: I don't both games are garbage..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Newtown

Unread post by Newtown » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 6:51 pm

Happy, other than Tedesco who is a chance to leave the Tigers, I certainly can't find a player from a Wests Tigers team of the past three or four years who could wipe the backside of those players either. However either Rona or Korobeite would certainly be an improvement on winger/centres such as Milone and Naquima who have played a fair amount in first grade for Wests Tigers over the past few years.

Fade To Black

Unread post by Fade To Black » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 6:55 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 10 Apr, 2017 5:16 pm
Great some more players that Cleary has to teach to tackle
Most wingers don't know how to tackle so it wouldnt be much difference.
Can't remember Rona being known as a huge defensive liability TBH.

Red Rugby
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Red Rugby » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 7:03 pm

If you could get hold of Reece Hodge he would be an absolute sensation.

He's a centre or winger who can kick goals from anywhere in the opposition's half.

I'm pretty sure he would end up at the Waratahs though.

shakey4d
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by shakey4d » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 8:09 pm

Rona would be great replacement Kev on left wing if Kev leaves.

Tigertigertiger

Unread post by Tigertigertiger » Tue 11 Apr, 2017 7:26 am

shakey4d wrote:
Mon 10 Apr, 2017 8:09 pm
Rona would be great replacement Kev on left wing if Kev leaves.
Mate of mine who knows Rona said Rona was on $180k while at the Dogs and left because the Force payed him 400k a season

He would be a good buy but not at that price because that's what he would be asking

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 11 Apr, 2017 9:12 am

Newtown wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
WHO CARES?

WHO CARES?

I echo Jirskyr's sentiments.

Anything that gets up that toff Peter Fitzsimmons given he has laid the boot into League for years.
Cause there's no time for fussing or fighting my friend, but baby I'm amazed at the hate that you can send;
And you... Painted my entire world, and I don't have the turpentine to clean what you have soiled, and I won't forget it.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

jirskyr

Unread post by jirskyr » Tue 11 Apr, 2017 11:19 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tue 11 Apr, 2017 9:12 am
Newtown wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
WHO CARES?

WHO CARES?

I echo Jirskyr's sentiments.

Anything that gets up that toff Peter Fitzsimmons given he has laid the boot into League for years.
Newtown is right in one respect, that some quality players have come from rugby to league. The thing he's not stated is that most of these top-flight conversions happened before Rugby became professional.

When you go to list the Rugby converts since the game went professional, it's a fairly small and usually sorry list.

It is my expectation that most free agents from an eliminated side would be absorbed by the existing franchises, especially the players of calibre, I doubt the best Rebel or Force players are going to pull up stumps and move to league.

Let them cut their teams, let the players in those teams spin in limbo for a while, let Rugby devour itself and get torn between the conflicts of national, Super and local rugby tournaments. Smart kids these days try their hands at rugby and league both, because there are more professional opportunities in League, better grass-roots opportunities and mid-tier development. I only want to see that divide between League and Union grow.

jirskyr

Unread post by jirskyr » Tue 11 Apr, 2017 11:26 am

Newtown wrote:
Wait one thing about these footballers, a number of them player League first. No big deal to bring back a kid to League, if any of those exist at the Rebels or Force right now? SBW started in League, so did Wendell. Cronk played schoolboy Rugby because he went to a rugby school, but he was selected for QLD and Australian Schoolboys League.

Fade To Black

Unread post by Fade To Black » Tue 11 Apr, 2017 1:54 pm

Only Rona and Chance Peni at the Force and Koro at Rebels I think jirskyr, pretty sure they are the only 3 "League-1st" players in both squads.

Return to “Other Sports”