CocaCola
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Connor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather

Unread post by CocaCola » Sun 27 Aug, 2017 9:55 pm

stryker wrote:
Sun 27 Aug, 2017 7:52 pm
Earl wrote:
Sun 27 Aug, 2017 7:25 pm
It was a farce but McGregor did a lot better than what I thought he would.
I keep hearing this. I thought he started ok but if you look at the scorecards, he was miles behind - 2 of the judges had him at least 7 points in deficit. He was heading towards a double digit smackdown. Thats a dominant loss.
It's a dominant loss if you go by the official scorecards, but the actual fight was closer than what the judges scored it. Conor won the first 3 rounds without a doubt, 4th & 8th could have went either way.
I watched rounds 1-4, 8 & 10 again just to remove any bias. I would have gave Conor 4 rounds leading into the 10th, so 5-4 to Floyd prior to the stoppage in the 10th.

For the judges to have given Conor only 1 round prior to the stoppage just goes to show how corrupt that industry is, has been for decades.

I have no issue with the stoppage, Mayweather was dominating the latter rounds and Conor was gassed and couldn't defend himself.

Wasn't as 1 sided as those scorecards suggested though. I enjoyed the fight, Conor done well against a undefeated World champ.

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Sun 27 Aug, 2017 10:58 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Sun 27 Aug, 2017 9:37 pm
Only saw the highlights but it looked like a sham. Connor threw lots early as expected, when Floyd wanted a break he just turned his back and Connor didn't know where he was allowed to hit him.
If Floyd had a bit of respect for boxing's history he would have put the 50-0 record on the line against a legitimate boxer who was going to make him earn the title of "50-0", not against an easy kill who was from a foreign discipline to boxing.
Hopefully GGG continues on to surpass Mayweathers record.
Have to laugh just now Foxsports "experts" are dissecting the fight.........Hooper and Buzz Rothfield! The closest Buzz has been to being punch-drunk is when he raided the bargain bin at the local. Quality all round.
Floyd was retired. He was lured out by $$$....100's of millions of them!
It wasnt to increase his record.

stryker

Unread post by stryker » Sun 27 Aug, 2017 11:21 pm

CocaCola wrote:
Sun 27 Aug, 2017 9:55 pm
stryker wrote:
Sun 27 Aug, 2017 7:52 pm
Earl wrote:
Sun 27 Aug, 2017 7:25 pm
It was a farce but McGregor did a lot better than what I thought he would.
I keep hearing this. I thought he started ok but if you look at the scorecards, he was miles behind - 2 of the judges had him at least 7 points in deficit. He was heading towards a double digit smackdown. Thats a dominant loss.
It's a dominant loss if you go by the official scorecards, but the actual fight was closer than what the judges scored it. Conor won the first 3 rounds without a doubt, 4th & 8th could have went either way.
I watched rounds 1-4, 8 & 10 again just to remove any bias. I would have gave Conor 4 rounds leading into the 10th, so 5-4 to Floyd prior to the stoppage in the 10th.

For the judges to have given Conor only 1 round prior to the stoppage just goes to show how corrupt that industry is, has been for decades.

I have no issue with the stoppage, Mayweather was dominating the latter rounds and Conor was gassed and couldn't defend himself.

Wasn't as 1 sided as those scorecards suggested though. I enjoyed the fight, Conor done well against a undefeated World champ.

Im sorry but your whole speech makes no sense. Of course we take the judges scores into account. They are professional judges and i mostly agree with them. Conner threw lots of non scoring punches early on. Floyd easily blocked the vast majority that were on target. Id probably give him rounds 1 and 2 but thats it. Mayweather was in control and never once hurt. He tagged him at will and seemed to allow that fight to drag on until he put it to bed. The technical skill level was poles apart. MMA fighters have akward stances and Floyd easily got through Conners. He also continually cut the ring off and put himself into position to be the aggressor when required and to counter when open. To put it bluntly, Floyd scored points whenever he wanted to.

Macgregor was hillarious with his attitude post fight claiming he wasnt rocked or wobbled and the fight was stopped short. He was very close to a proper KO and possible humiliation. I thought on a technical level it was extremely one sided and a failed experiment for the UFC. Sure loads of money was made but Conner was never in it. The two sports are far too different to compare in this way and even though im sure spin doctors are working on presenting a favourable light on MacGregor's efforts, he was thoroughly out witted, out thought, out boxed and under prepared to stand toe to toe with the calibre of boxer he took on today.

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 48 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 27 Aug, 2017 11:22 pm

stryker wrote:
Sat 15 Jul, 2017 10:39 am
This is the most pointless, stupid fight of all time. As a true combat sports fan for decades now it upsets me. These two are the most dislikeable pieces of trash in their respective sports. The garbage they are going on with during the promotional "world tour" is embarrassing and is pandering to the lowest creatures in society. It is a total ripoff of WWE which in itself was created to appease those with double digit IQ's.

Could not care less about the result as it means and proves nothing. Total con with a script already written and learnt by both men. Dont spend money on this crap, you are feeding the beast which is destroying combat sport.
Sorry to rain on your parade but the club had an excellent attendance for the show, I played chess in another room during the bout.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 27 Aug, 2017 11:34 pm

stryker wrote:
Sun 27 Aug, 2017 8:03 pm
Someone during the week described it as the Olympic table tennis champion taking on Federer in the US Open final. Quite apt.

It was a dumb idea that should never have been sanctioned. It wasnt fair to the boxers in that division nor fighters in Conners UFC divisions. Big money fights are ruining both sports.
I was at the 2000 Olympics Table Tennis and they were much more skillful and faster than Federer. It is relevant I know.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

stryker

Unread post by stryker » Sun 27 Aug, 2017 11:52 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Sun 27 Aug, 2017 11:34 pm
stryker wrote:
Someone during the week described it as the Olympic table tennis champion taking on Federer in the US Open final. Quite apt.

It was a dumb idea that should never have been sanctioned. It wasnt fair to the boxers in that division nor fighters in Conners UFC divisions. Big money fights are ruining both sports.
I was at the 2000 Olympics Table Tennis and they were much more skillful and faster than Federer. It is relevant I know.
Yeah at ping pong. Stick a tennis racquet in their hands and send them onto center court at Arthur Ashe and we'll see how they go. Thats the point.

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 12:11 am

stryker wrote:
Sun 27 Aug, 2017 11:52 pm
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
stryker wrote:

Yeah at ping pong. Stick a tennis racquet in their hands and send them onto center court at Arthur Ashe and we'll see how they go. Thats the point.
Just as there are ex-ping pong players who become tennis champs there is also the reverse and they may keep their tennis game up as well. The tennis players are sabotaged in table tennis by their stiff elbow whereas table tennis players don't have any drawbacks in tennis that I am aware of. I know state level champs in both sports who regularly line up against each other. The TT champ can hold his own in tennis but not the reverse for the tennis players in TT. The TT serves just completely bedazzles the tennis champs. When the tennis player cops a TT serve with such severe back spin that the ball rolls back over the net of it's own accord they give up.

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 12:17 am

Nothing like a serious philosophical argument this time of night whilst the missus is left in limbo

cktiger
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by cktiger » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 12:32 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Mon 28 Aug, 2017 12:11 am
stryker wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
stryker wrote:

Just as there are ex-ping pong players who become tennis champs there is also the reverse and they may keep their tennis game up as well. The tennis players are sabotaged in table tennis by their stiff elbow whereas table tennis players don't have any drawbacks in tennis that I am aware of. I know state level champs in both sports who regularly line up against each other. The TT champ can hold his own in tennis but not the reverse for the tennis players in TT. The TT serves just completely bedazzles the tennis champs. When the tennis player cops a TT serve with such severe back spin that the ball rolls back over the net of it's own accord they give up.
Seriously mate ... time for bed.

Fade To Black
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by Fade To Black » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 12:36 am

stryker wrote:
Sun 27 Aug, 2017 10:58 pm
Fade To Black wrote:
Sun 27 Aug, 2017 9:37 pm
Only saw the highlights but it looked like a sham. Connor threw lots early as expected, when Floyd wanted a break he just turned his back and Connor didn't know where he was allowed to hit him.
If Floyd had a bit of respect for boxing's history he would have put the 50-0 record on the line against a legitimate boxer who was going to make him earn the title of "50-0", not against an easy kill who was from a foreign discipline to boxing.
Hopefully GGG continues on to surpass Mayweathers record.
Have to laugh just now Foxsports "experts" are dissecting the fight.........Hooper and Buzz Rothfield! The closest Buzz has been to being punch-drunk is when he raided the bargain bin at the local. Quality all round.
Floyd was retired. He was lured out by $$$....100's of millions of them!
It wasnt to increase his record.
I'm sure the 50-0 record came into his mind when he decided to take this fight on. Its not like he was destitute before this fight and needed the payday either really. Ego's love records, whatever they are.

upthetigers
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by upthetigers » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 1:14 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
stryker wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
stryker wrote:

Just because table tennis players have good hand eye coordination doesn't mean they would excel at tennis, they are two completely different games. Table tennis players would have huge weaknesses in their game which the likes of Federer would expose with his eyes closed. The skill gap between table tennis and tennis would be bigger than MMA and boxing. And this is not even taking into account that tennis is an endurance game. You have to be in much better shape to excel at tennis.

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by sheer64 » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 1:51 am

upthetigers wrote:
Mon 28 Aug, 2017 1:14 am
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
stryker wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:

Just because table tennis players have good hand eye coordination doesn't mean they would excel at tennis, they are two completely different games. Table tennis players would have huge weaknesses in their game which the likes of Federer would expose with his eyes closed. The skill gap between table tennis and tennis would be bigger than MMA and boxing. And this is not even taking into account that tennis is an endurance game. You have to be in much better shape to excel at tennis.
Federer would be shaking in his boots!
oldpingpong.jpg
oldpingpong.jpg (33.25 KiB) Viewed 168 times
Arise Sir Waste Anasta, Tool of the highest order!

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 28 Aug, 2017 7:00 am

upthetigers wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
stryker wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:

As I stated tennis players have also gone to table tennis and become champions. Do you think that means that they drop their fitness - not likely when they are in state and national training squads. I have witnessed those state champs of each sport playing against each other and endurance did not seem a problem. They happen to be very close first cousins. The skill gap between the sports favour the table tennis player. The "loop" shot in tennis is completely hopeless compared to the table tennis loop.
It is much more difficult to read a TT serve with much less time to do so than a tennis serve so one needs more of the grey matter to be successful at TT. Reading tennis serves certainly would not give them grey hairs and with TT quicker reflexes they are in the game okay.

With all the delays in tennis, some deliberate by the players - sometimes they are even needed to be whipped into action by regulation time limits between points, the TT player could survive okay. It could even be a help being a nincompoop at tennis - you can fight the refs, the linesmen, the crowds whilst you are putting your hot opponent off his game and getting your breath back. Kyrgios does that.

Tennis players are like having a footie team of 13 Artie Beetsons against a team of 13 Jonathan Thurstons. Not even Robbie's backside could hide the big score of the Thurstons on the scoreboard.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 137 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 29 Aug, 2017 7:10 pm

Byron has obviously has smoked himself stupid today.
John Wayne would never use a surge protector!

Fuerza en la adversidad.

upthetigers
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by upthetigers » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 6:14 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Mon 28 Aug, 2017 7:00 am
upthetigers wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
stryker wrote:

As I stated tennis players have also gone to table tennis and become champions. Do you think that means that they drop their fitness - not likely when they are in state and national training squads. I have witnessed those state champs of each sport playing against each other and endurance did not seem a problem. They happen to be very close first cousins. The skill gap between the sports favour the table tennis player. The "loop" shot in tennis is completely hopeless compared to the table tennis loop.
It is much more difficult to read a TT serve with much less time to do so than a tennis serve so one needs more of the grey matter to be successful at TT. Reading tennis serves certainly would not give them grey hairs and with TT quicker reflexes they are in the game okay.

With all the delays in tennis, some deliberate by the players - sometimes they are even needed to be whipped into action by regulation time limits between points, the TT player could survive okay. It could even be a help being a nincompoop at tennis - you can fight the refs, the linesmen, the crowds whilst you are putting your hot opponent off his game and getting your breath back. Kyrgios does that.

Tennis players are like having a footie team of 13 Artie Beetsons against a team of 13 Jonathan Thurstons. Not even Robbie's backside could hide the big score of the Thurstons on the scoreboard.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/tenn ... hot!640833

Yep, the TT champ would definitely beat Federer :D

stryker

Unread post by stryker » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 6:25 pm

Byron has a unique ability to derail a topic with utterly useless and mostly boring information. Seriously, who gives a crap about table tennis? LOL...

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 01 Sep, 2017 7:34 pm

stryker wrote:
Fri 01 Sep, 2017 6:25 pm
Byron has a unique ability to derail a topic with utterly useless and mostly boring information. Seriously, who gives a crap about table tennis? LOL...
Well when I briefly and succinctly stated that Pontius Pilate had an easier time getting rid of JC than Jason did of RF no one blinked an eyelid - so now I have to try and baffle with BS.

Return to “Other Sports”