Aussies 2018 tour of South Africa Spoilers

Geo.

Re: Aussies 2018 tour of South Africa Spoilers

Post by Geo. » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 9:05 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Thu 29 Mar, 2018 8:00 pm
Geo. wrote:
Thu 29 Mar, 2018 7:50 pm
Smith is a shattered man and accepts full responsibility..A failure of his leadership and blames no one...

He will be back...
How can he blame anyone else. He was the Captain, the buck stopped with him.
I take it you didn't watch the conference or the line of questioning..I do note the joy you seem to be getting out of the demise of Smith and especially Warner..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 9:07 pm

I think what people fail to realise is that the punishments reflected the extraordinary dishonesty and deceitfulness by Smith, Warner and Bancroft after it was discovered.

This included:

- feigning innocence when questioned by the umps, including emptying out pockets when they knew Bancroft had put it down his dacks
- suggesting that more people were involved, presumably to diminish the significance of their own actions as individuals
- lying to the media about the tool used i.e. that it was only stick tape that had been used to collect dirt when it was actually sandpaper.

If none of this had occurred, I suspect the punishments would have been far less.

Unfortunately, Smith and Lehmann bred a culture where winning was important than integrity and this was the logical consequence of such a culture.
Last edited by southerntiger on Thu 29 Mar, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 9:12 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Thu 29 Mar, 2018 8:37 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Thu 29 Mar, 2018 8:33 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Thu 29 Mar, 2018 7:56 pm
Hope all the pricks who wanted Steve Smiths blood feel good right now. Yep he stuffed up but lynch mentality through social media ruining society. Where’s Warner?
Sorry I can think for myself. I've always hated cheating, I didn't need Twitter or Facebook to tell me how to feel.

The bloke oversaw the side and he has to take the fall. On a personal level I feel for the bloke, I don't hold any ill will toward him outside of cricket.

Warner is gutless and you won't hear his side of the story until there's a buck to be made.
The public lynching mentality has been outrageous. Smith has copped this penalty because CA have reacted to the minority voice screaming through social and mainstream media. The more measured approach would be to draw breath and rely on processes and policies. Not react on the run. Lives are being ruined because CA are reacting to over emotional outcries by jealous, hateful fools.
They engaged in orchestrated cheating on an international stage and attempted to lie and cover it up. Smith did it in the position of the national captain. I know he didn't directly involve himself but he failed to take action. He allowed his troops to cheat and he tried to help them get away with it. That is just what happened. There is no getting away from it and taking all the breath you want doesn't make it any less serious.

Don't get me wrong, I feel very sorry for Smith. I saw how shattered he was at the press conference and his remorse is clearly genuine. He seems to me like a man of honour who allowed a dishonourable thing to happen under his watch and himself acted dishonourably in trying to cover it up. Part of being honourable is accepting the consequences of your failings and I think he'll do that, and I think he'll come back stronger.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 9:35 pm

Geo. wrote:
Thu 29 Mar, 2018 9:05 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Thu 29 Mar, 2018 8:00 pm
Geo. wrote:
Thu 29 Mar, 2018 7:50 pm
Smith is a shattered man and accepts full responsibility..A failure of his leadership and blames no one...

He will be back...
How can he blame anyone else. He was the Captain, the buck stopped with him.
I take it you didn't watch the conference or the line of questioning..I do note the joy you seem to be getting out of the demise of Smith and especially Warner..
Really? I’d have thought my comments on the topic were rather tame compared to the rest of the country. Smith should have known better, but I’m sure he’ll learn a major lesson over this. He’ll be back. As for Warner, I have no sympathy. He’s a grub.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 9:55 pm

Yes ...Smith stuffed up big time , he's remorseful , he's apologised and I think its time to lay off ...
He's still a champ in my books .
Offical member of the MCK fan club.

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 10:00 pm

Spectators in South Africa called them cheats .... forgetting that their team captain "Faf du Plessis" had been caught ball tampering twice and "Vernon Philander" once.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 10:05 pm

hobbo wrote:
Thu 29 Mar, 2018 9:55 pm
Yes ...Smith stuffed up big time , he's remorseful , he's apologised and I think its time to lay off ...
He's still a champ in my books .
Im with you. Punishment IMO was fair but time to move on.

Sad thing about this is that it is simply a reflection of Lehmann's team culture. The culture was so poor that Smith even after he was caught deliberately cheating, in fronting up to the media, inconceivably failed to appreciate how serious this was. That is what happens when you get conditioned to push the line. The line between right and wrong becomes very blurry.
Last edited by southerntiger on Thu 29 Mar, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 10:24 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Thu 29 Mar, 2018 8:37 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Thu 29 Mar, 2018 8:33 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Thu 29 Mar, 2018 7:56 pm
Hope all the pricks who wanted Steve Smiths blood feel good right now. Yep he stuffed up but lynch mentality through social media ruining society. Where’s Warner?
Sorry I can think for myself. I've always hated cheating, I didn't need Twitter or Facebook to tell me how to feel.

The bloke oversaw the side and he has to take the fall. On a personal level I feel for the bloke, I don't hold any ill will toward him outside of cricket.

Warner is gutless and you won't hear his side of the story until there's a buck to be made.
The public lynching mentality has been outrageous. Smith has copped this penalty because CA have reacted to the minority voice screaming through social and mainstream media. The more measured approach would be to draw breath and rely on processes and policies. Not react on the run. Lives are being ruined because CA are reacting to over emotional outcries by jealous, hateful fools.
On the contrary I think CA are leading by example. The onus is on the ICC and other national boards to follow that next time their players are caught out.
Don't try to tell me awesome power can corrupt a person, you haven't enough to know what it's like; you're only angry because you wish you were in my position, you nod your head because you know that I'm right.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 10:30 pm

Just saw the Smith press conference. Looks like a man who knows he has made a big mistake but is taking responsibility and wants to prove that is not what he is about. He will end up back in the team and show that this isn’t what defines him. Trust is a hard thing to earn back once lost but he may be able to do it.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 10:34 pm

I don’t think Smith is a blatant cheater. I think he’s just shown a lot of ignorance. I have never had an issue with him outside of cricket, he seems like a decent enough guy. The guy I feel most for is Bancroft though.

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 10:40 pm

Yep Bancroft seems to have been thrown against a wall here. His spot was under pressure as it was and he obviously did what he felt would keep him in the team. Although the head butt incident at the start of the summer makes me think he is a little dodgy.

Warner is clearly coming out as the villain in all of this and really could struggle to get back into any top flight cricket.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 11:07 pm

How has David Saker managed to avoid any backlash

Our bowlers are struggling to get the ball to swing consistently and Saker is supposedly the "swing guru"

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 11:12 pm

The fall out for the coaches will hit once the squad come home. It’s easier to sanction players as the public face and get the coaches later.

TSupps05

Post by TSupps05 » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 11:14 pm

Darren Lehman just quit as Coach!
Ohh Stop it Tui :master:

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 11:14 pm

And just after I write that I get a notification on my phone the Lehmann has resigned

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 11:16 pm

Hmm so who gets coach now

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by sheer64 » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 11:17 pm

An update from James Sutherland

Dear Australian Cricket Fans,

The Cricket Australia Board met this afternoon (Melbourne time) to consider the final report of the investigation into the incident in Cape Town, which was conducted by Cricket Australia’s Head of Integrity at my direction.

We understand the ongoing concern felt by you regarding this situation and I want to share the findings and sanctions with you directly.

Summary of Sanctions

The range of sanctions available to Cricket Australia under our Code of Conduct are extensive.

The Board has considered these and determined that the following sanctions will be offered to each player in accordance with the Code of Conduct process:

Steve
Smith

Suspension of 12 months from all international and domestic cricket

David
Warner
Suspension of 12 months from all international and domestic cricket

Cameron Bancroft
Suspension of 9 months from all international and domestic cricket

All three players will be permitted to play club cricket and will be encouraged to do so to maintain links with the cricket community.

All three players will be required to undertake 100 hours of voluntary service in community cricket. This will be a condition of future selection.

Leadership

Steve Smith and Cameron Bancroft will not be considered for team leadership positions until a minimum of 12 months after the conclusion of their suspension from international and domestic cricket. Any consideration of future leadership would be conditional on acceptance by fans and the public, form and authority among the playing group. David Warner will not be considered for team leadership positions in the future.

As our Chairman David Peever said tonight, the sanctions issued are significant penalties for professional players and the Board does not impose them lightly. I believe that they properly reflect a balance between the need to protect the integrity and reputation of the game and the need to maintain the possibility of redemption for the individuals involved, all of whom have learned difficult lessons through these events.

The key findings of the investigation, along with the sanctions summary (above) can be viewed here.

As custodians of our great game, we are confident that we have acted carefully and responsibly, taking into account the impact this incident has had on the Australian cricket community and the players.

As mentioned in my email to you this morning, Cricket Australia will also initiate an independent review into the conduct and culture of our Australian men’s teams as an important step in rebuilding and reestablishing your pride in Australian cricket. Further details will be announced shortly and we will keep you updated on the review as it progresses.

I would again like to take the opportunity to express our appreciation for the feedback we have received from the Australian public. We recognise the damage this incident has done to the integrity and reputation of Australian cricket and we are committed to doing all we can to restore your faith in the men’s team and the game.

James Sutherland
Chief Executive Officer - Cricket Australia
Arise Sir Waste Anasta, Tool of the highest order!

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 11:17 pm

Gillespie