Aussies 2018 tour of South Africa Spoilers

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Re: Aussies 2018 tour of South Africa Spoilers

Post by sheer64 » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 11:18 pm

Cricket Australia Statement on investigation

March 28, 2018

Following the announcements made yesterday in Johannesburg, the Cricket Australia Board has met again today to consider the report of the investigation into the incident in Cape Town.

The key finding from the investigation was that prior knowledge of the incident was confined to three players, Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft.

Key findings:

Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft have been charged with a breach of Article 2.3.5 of the CA Code of Conduct, namely that their conduct:

(a) was contrary to the spirit of the game;

(b) was unbecoming of a representative or official;

(c) is or could be harmful to the interests of cricket; and/or

(d) did bring the game of cricket into disrepute.

In respect of the individual players concerned, Cricket Australia advises the following:

Steve Smith was charged with a breach of Article 2.3.5 of the CA Code of Conduct based on:

(a) knowledge of a potential plan to attempt to artificially alter the condition of the ball;

(b) failure to take steps to seek to prevent the development and implementation of that plan;

(c) directing that evidence of attempted tampering be concealed on the field of play;

(d) seeking to mislead Match Officials and others regarding Bancroft’s attempts to artificially alter the condition of the ball; and

(e) misleading public comments regarding the nature, extent and participants of the plan

David Warner was charged with a breach of Article 2.3.5 of the CA Code of Conduct based on:

(a) development of a plan to attempt to artificially alter the condition of the ball;

(b) instruction to a junior player to carry out a plan to take steps to attempt to artificially alter the condition of the ball using sandpaper;

(c) provision of advice to a junior player regarding how a ball could be artificially altered including demonstrating how it could be done;

(d) failure to take steps to seek to prevent the development and/or implementation of the plan;

(e) failure to report his knowledge of the plan at any time prior to or during the match;

(f) misleading Match Officials through the concealment of his knowledge of and involvement in the plan; and

(g) failure to voluntarily report his knowledge of the plan after the match

Cameron Bancroft was charged with a breach of Article 2.3.5 of the CA Code of Conduct based on:

(a) knowledge of the existence of, and being party to, the plan to attempt to artificially alter the condition of the ball using sandpaper;

(b) carrying out instructions to attempt to artificially alter the condition of the ball;

(c) seeking to conceal evidence of his attempts to artificially alter the condition of the ball;

(d) seeking to mislead Match Officials and others regarding his attempts to artificially alter the condition of the ball; and

(e) misleading public comments regarding the nature, extent, implementation and participants of the plan

Summary of sanctions

The range of sanctions available to Cricket Australia under Article 2.3.5 are extensive. The CA Board determined sanctions that would be appropriate in each player’s case, following their review of the report.

The Board has considered the recommendations and determined that the following sanctions will be offered to each player in accordance with the CA Code of Conduct process.

Steve Smith

Suspension of 12 months from all international and domestic cricket

David Warner

Suspension of 12 months from all international and domestic cricket

Cameron Bancroft

Suspension of 9 months from all international and domestic cricket

All three players will be permitted to play club cricket and will be encouraged to do so to maintain links with the cricket community.

In addition, all three players will be required to undertake 100 hours of voluntary service in community cricket.

Leadership

Steve Smith and Cameron Bancroft will not be considered for team leadership positions until a minimum of 12 months after the conclusion of their respective suspensions from international and domestic cricket. Any consideration of future leadership would be conditional on acceptance by fans and the public, form and authority among the playing group. David Warner will not be considered for team leadership positions in the future.

Cricket Australia Chairman, David Peever said:

“As I indicated yesterday, the CA Board understands and shares the anger of fans and the broader Australian community about these events.

“They go to the integrity and reputation of Australian Cricket and Australian sport and the penalties must reflect that.

“These are significant penalties for professional players and the Board does not impose them lightly. It is hoped that following a period of suspension, the players will be able to return to playing the game they love and eventually rebuild their careers.”

Cricket Australia CEO, James Sutherland said:

“As the Chairman has noted, the sanctions we have announced are significant for the individuals involved. That is why the process has had to be thorough to ensure that all relevant issues have been examined.

“I am satisfied that the sanctions in this case properly reflect a balance between the need to protect the integrity and reputation of the game and the need to maintain the possibility of redemption for the individuals involved, all of whom have learned difficult lessons through these events.

“As indicated, Cricket Australia will provide more details of an independent review into the conduct and culture of our Australian men’s team in due course.” Sutherland concluded.

APPENDIX

Summary of CA Code of Conduct process

By way of summary, the Code of Conduct process in this instance is as follows:

A report is lodged by the CEO with the Head of Integrity;
A review is completed by the Head of Integrity;
A Notice of Charge (in conjunction with the report) is provided to the player which includes a specific charge under the Code of Conduct and offers the proposed sanctions;
If the player accepts the charge and proposed sanctions, the matter is completed;
If the player disputes either the charge or sanction/s, there is a hearing before a CA Commissioner;
The player may appeal the outcome of that hearing, and if so there is a hearing before an Appeals Commissioner (who is selected from the remaining CA Commissioners).
Arise Sir Waste Anasta, Tool of the highest order!

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 11:20 pm

Lucky there isn’t an Ashes series in July, they’d lose 5-0. They are in disarray, and it’s going to take time to sort through the rubble.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 11:25 pm

Stuart Law

Clearyweareone

Post by Clearyweareone » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 11:26 pm

Good to see Darren Lehmann resign. Need a new coach to change the culture

I feel sorry for Smith but not for Warner.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 11:26 pm

Warner about to front the media in Sydney , but only 3 questions will be allowed to be asked :roll:

Who does he think he is ....Kanye West!
Offical member of the MCK fan club.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 11:29 pm

Rich coming from the serial ball tamperer himself

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 11:34 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Thu 29 Mar, 2018 10:24 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Thu 29 Mar, 2018 8:37 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Thu 29 Mar, 2018 8:33 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Thu 29 Mar, 2018 7:56 pm
Hope all the pricks who wanted Steve Smiths blood feel good right now. Yep he stuffed up but lynch mentality through social media ruining society. Where’s Warner?
Sorry I can think for myself. I've always hated cheating, I didn't need Twitter or Facebook to tell me how to feel.

The bloke oversaw the side and he has to take the fall. On a personal level I feel for the bloke, I don't hold any ill will toward him outside of cricket.

Warner is gutless and you won't hear his side of the story until there's a buck to be made.
The public lynching mentality has been outrageous. Smith has copped this penalty because CA have reacted to the minority voice screaming through social and mainstream media. The more measured approach would be to draw breath and rely on processes and policies. Not react on the run. Lives are being ruined because CA are reacting to over emotional outcries by jealous, hateful fools.
On the contrary I think CA are leading by example. The onus is on the ICC and other national boards to follow that next time their players are caught out.
You are right CB i cant see the ICB getting stricter on cheating and there is zero chance of any other narional board(except NZ) ever getting harder except in the case of gambling/bookmakers

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Thu 29 Mar, 2018 11:58 pm

hobbo wrote:
Thu 29 Mar, 2018 11:26 pm
Warner about to front the media in Sydney , but only 3 questions will be allowed to be asked :roll:

And in the end he answered none...

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 12:03 am

Yossarian wrote:
Thu 29 Mar, 2018 11:58 pm
hobbo wrote:
Thu 29 Mar, 2018 11:26 pm

And in the end he answered none...
Hid behind his wife's frock !
At least Smith , Bancroft and Lehmann had the balls to front the media .
Offical member of the MCK fan club.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 12:05 am

ku5tom wrote:
Thu 29 Mar, 2018 11:29 pm

Yep hypocrisy of the highest order. Bloke has been caught twice. Part of me suspects this goes on all the time helped by broadcasters who turn a blind eye to home indiscretions and relentlessly look for away team infractions.

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 12:14 am

Sheer64 - thank you for the investigation report.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 12:16 am

southerntiger wrote:
Thu 29 Mar, 2018 9:07 pm
I think what people fail to realise is that the punishments reflected the extraordinary dishonesty and deceitfulness by Smith, Warner and Bancroft after it was discovered.

This included:

- feigning innocence when questioned by the umps, including emptying out pockets when they knew Bancroft had put it down his dacks
- suggesting that more people were involved, presumably to diminish the significance of their own actions as individuals
- lying to the media about the tool used i.e. that it was only stick tape that had been used to collect dirt when it was actually sandpaper.

If none of this had occurred, I suspect the punishments would have been far less.

Unfortunately, Smith and Lehmann bred a culture where winning was important than integrity and this was the logical consequence of such a culture.
Great post mate, spot on.
The crocodile tears from all involved are almost more embarrassing than getting caught cheating in the first place. I'd cry too if I saw millions of bucks drying up in front of my face. People have en watching too much reality TV garbage if they fall for all this dysentery. Candice Kardashian played her part perfectly.
Bringing up "I just want to get my kids to bed", "Phillip Hughes" etc is drama at its best.
Play with fire by cheating? Ok but get caught then you take it on the chin, don't drama it up for sympathy for Christs sake.
Get non-cheats in the team and move on.
I will save my concern and heartfelt sympathy for people battling terminal illnesses, not some smartarse muppets who thought they were smarter than the system and got caught out. They would be lapping up the praise (and monetary bonuses) for any victories that would have occurred whilst they were cheating like vermin. Good riddence to them all.
Lehmann must of surely been told "we know you are at the head of this, we will say you didn't know and then you will hit the eject button to save face". Why resign if you have been supposedly cleared of any wrongdoing? What a crock.

kiwitiger

Post by kiwitiger » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 8:46 am

Just seen the Steve Smith presser, and I'm cynical. Everything is so PR managed these days at top level sport this is probably the start of the PR rehabilitation of Smith. Next will be a Womens Day article "My year from hell" in the next few months, followed by Channel 9 exclusive interview over next summer. Both for which he gets well paid for. This is how it normally goes. Start with tears...make a few excuses....explain how hard life is without doing something you love. Cynical yes, but i'll be shocked if this is not how it plays out. Smith in his next innings in Australia will be applauded out into the middle because by then the public will feel he is hard done by.

Clearyweareone

Post by Clearyweareone » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 9:03 am

As WT fans we can appreciate that the major issue is the toxic culture that plaers thought they are invincible and able to get away with cheating.

Warner has played for a long time and would know there are many cameras at e very game focusing on the players.

Warner appeared to be a law to himself and as we were winning it was brushed aside however when we started losing games then the cracks appear.

Lehmann and the other selectors should have had the balls to drop Warner and get him to get his act together.

Winning at all costs culture has to change.

Glad Lehmann resigned. Now need James Sutherland to do the same. Interesting that recently his son was caught damaging a hotel room whilst on a youth cricket tour and had to pay the damage bill and apology letter. Speaks volumes when James can not control his son or teach him the correct values and respect.

Maybe this saga is a blessing in disguise for Australian cricket so real change especially with the culture can occur.

fibrodreaming

Post by fibrodreaming » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 10:15 am

ku5tom wrote:

The hypocrisy is breathtaking.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 10:28 am

ku5tom wrote:

Agree but think he is probably right

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 10:34 am

I think the Aussie bowling now comes under the microscope as no one knows how long this has been going on. There was a photo of Bancroft in the dressing room during the Ashes putting sugar into his pockets.

Peter B

Post by Peter B » Fri 30 Mar, 2018 10:41 am

It wasn't sugar. Apparently it was a pellet of chewing gum - which had to taken from the bowl via a spoon, due to concerns of spreading a gastro bug that some in the team were suffering....