Cricket Season Thread

Geo.

Re: Cricket Season Thread

Post by Geo. » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 1:03 pm

stryker wrote:
Geo. wrote:Bagging players...uncool...
Total agreeance here Geo.

This is our first test in yonks and I think the boys played pretty well. A 1 wicket loss v India at home is a good start.

I think all the young people on this forum have been spoilt in their cricket watching with the etraordinary teams Australia has produced over the past decade or more.

I can remember a time when it was a big thing for us to win consecutive tests.

The boys will be alright....give them a break.
True that...I think anyone alive when the Aussies fronted up to the might of the Windies, Poms and even the kiwis 'live' in the 70's and 80's would never diss players.....

Recommend getting a copy of the excellent ABC doco's from the Benuad years through to the Chapple's

Wonder what they would have thought of Bobby Simpson's 'comeback'....
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 1:12 pm

magpie mania wrote:
tig_prmz wrote:sorry guys, proud to be an indian today!

And, also the commonwealth games! So proud!!!

Also, please dont say something like you live in australia, and still cheer on about india. Sick of that comment :d

well if your sick of that comment maybe youll find india a nicer place to live and you will be less sick there.
Haha so you are telling me to go back to india just because I follow them??
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

magpie mania

Post by magpie mania » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 1:51 pm

No its more of a case of you crapping on my or am i wrong should i say our country by saying go india fair enough if theyre your team.but dont tell us your sick of people saying you should support australia because thats what this country is.i think the commonwealth games in delhi is the laughing stock of the world with bridges and roofs collapsing and accommodation that is ridiculous.however i believe that it is still showing progress for india coming out of 3rd world living conditions.please be reminded that im not indian so i cant rely on my parents constantly reminding me how great the mother country is so i must form my own opinion instead of relying on others.good win to india in the cricket and i think ill leave it at that thankyou very much.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 2:49 pm

I'm sorry if you are offened by me saying: "im sick..."

The thing is it doesn't matter where you live, I will support India for the rest of my life. However, people don't get it!

And, as for Commonwealth games, as you said you form your own opinions. That speaks for itself I think.
My Round 1 Team 2018

6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal

magpie mania

Post by magpie mania » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 2:54 pm

tig_prmz wrote:i'm sorry if you are offened by me saying: "im sick..."

the thing is it doesn't matter where you live, i will support india for the rest of my life. However, people don't get it!

And, as for commonwealth games, as you said you form your own opinions. That speaks for itself i think.

im not offended by your "sickness" what i am offended by is you saying it doesnt matter where you live i wonder if thats what your parents were saying when they went cap in hand to migrate to this beautiful country i think your comments also speak for your mentality.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 3:11 pm

Guys, lets get back to the Cricket please...

PM each other if you want to have a personal debate!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

magpie mania

Post by magpie mania » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 3:22 pm

tiger watto wrote:guys, lets get back to the cricket please...

Pm each other if you want to have a personal debate!

who will win the ashes, are the pommies a hope and how many if any tests will phil hughes and steve smith play. :wahoo: :wahoo:

Jazza

Post by Jazza » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 3:27 pm

Im trying not to bag players Geo.

But its just a fact that Ponting is not a great tactical captain and a lot of experts who have played the game agree.

There's been major blunders like bowling first at Headingly in 05 on a road without McGrath and an out of form Gillespie, Nagpur 08 with the over rates, playing an injured Symonds and Lee against SA 08, bowling Hauritz and North at to the number 10 and 11 at Cardiff 09, wanting 4 seamers on a spinners deck at the oval 09, batting first in Sydney 2010 on a green top, and in England vs Pakistan 2010 batting first on another greentop.

I mean yesterday, with under 20 runs needed he was still putting the field back giving away easy 1s and 2s, with just 20 runs needed and the tailender playing well, I think he should of brought the field up. Laxman hardly ever hits the ball over the top (According to cricinfo: Number of 6s hit by Laxman in Test cricket: 4. With his most recent 6, 5 years ago), so if he did do that with the field up, with a bad back and pressure on, it would of been a huge risk.

It mystifies me why he never has a 3rd man, especially on the subcontinent where lots of balls roll along the ground in the slips area. He brought Marcus North on with the game on the line and kept Hilfenhaus out of the attack too long, then with 2 needed he had a fine leg when he may as well of had everyone up. I also think he is a bit of a ball chaser, you watch everytime a 4 is hit, he puts a fieldsman out on the boundary to where the ball went.

I think one of the reasons why we don't always finish teams off is because the captaincy can be too defensive and they dont go for the jugular.
Gee its grouse at hardware house!

magpie mania

Post by magpie mania » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 3:34 pm

jazza wrote:im trying not to bag players geo.

But its just a fact that ponting is not a great tactical captain and a lot of experts who have played the game agree.

I mean yesterday, with under 20 runs needed he was still putting the field back giving away easy 1s and 2s, with just 20 runs needed and the tailender playing well, i think he should of brought the field up. Laxman hardly ever hits the ball over the top (according to cricinfo: number of 6s hit by laxman in test cricket: 4. With his most recent 6, 5 years ago), so if he did do that with the field up, with a bad back and pressure on, it would of been a huge risk.

It mystifies me why he never has a 3rd man, especially on the subcontinent where lots of balls roll along the ground in the slips area. He brought marcus north on with the game on the line and kept hilfenhaus out of the attack too long, then with 2 needed he had a fine leg when he may as well of had everyone up. I also think he is a bit of a ball chaser, you watch everytime a 4 is hit, he puts a fieldsman out on the boundary to where the ball went.

I think one of the reasons why we don't always finish teams off is because the captaincy can be too defensive and they dont go for the jugular.

the aussies were blessed with a great captain in steve waugh who was ruthless and knew how to go for the jugular i will say his one and only bad error as captain was in india when he enforced the follow on and lost while taylor before him was excellent also with field placement.but as good as ponting is with the bat he is found wanting on tactics as a captain with field placement and use of bowlers.

citizen cub

Post by citizen cub » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 4:46 pm

When Waugh retired back in '04, there were a few other good candidates, Gilchrist captained the first 3 tests in India in '04, winning 2 and drawing 1, I think he wouldn't have made a bad captain. Then there was Warne, as he was a controversial character OFF the field, he was probably never gonna be the captain, but he had a fantastic cricket mind, always had planned worked out for the batsmen he was bowling to and always knew what his field settings were before he bowled, would've been a MUCH better captain than Ponting.
With Wests in the finals, ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE

Jazza

Post by Jazza » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 5:53 pm

citizen cub wrote:When Waugh retired back in '04, there were a few other good candidates, Gilchrist captained the first 3 tests in India in '04, winning 2 and drawing 1, I think he wouldn't have made a bad captain. Then there was Warne, as he was a controversial character OFF the field, he was probably never gonna be the captain, but he had a fantastic cricket mind, always had planned worked out for the batsmen he was bowling to and always knew what his field settings were before he bowled, would've been a MUCH better captain than Ponting.
Warney would of been a great captain but in hindsight it was probably good that he wasn't as he would of been captain when he was banned for the diuretic and we would of had a brand new captain for the 03 world cup and then when Waugh retired he was a month away from making a comeback and it wouldnt of been right being made captain after not being in the side for 12 months. Tactically he would of been MUCH better then Ponting and who knows how good the side may have been.

If Gilly was made captain it could of been in a way as an ideal succession plan for Clarke to be captain now after Gillys retirement 2 years ago. But, Clarke wasnt in the side when Ponting became captain and we dont know how Gilly may have performed being captain all the time.

I think CA could see a rebuilding period coming even when Waugh retired and thats why they probably went with Ponting over a lot more experienced and older team mates. I thought it was the right decision at the time but I think now Clarke is ready to take over. He's in the middle of his career, at the peak of his batting and has shown to be a good leader in the shorter versions of the game.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 7:47 pm

How good is Very Very Special? One of my favourite cricketers to watch.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 8:16 pm

magpie mania wrote:
tiger watto wrote:guys, lets get back to the cricket please...

Pm each other if you want to have a personal debate!

who will win the ashes, are the pommies a hope and how many if any tests will phil hughes and steve smith play. :wahoo: :wahoo:
Aussies - 4-1
Hughes must be a chance if Watson or Katich get an injury
Smith, probably none, but maybe Sydney.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 9:41 pm

I say 4-0 to the Aussies

Hughes IMO deserves a spot ahead of North while Watson should be moved to the middle order. Just an opinion!

Don't think Smith will get a chance. He needs more ODI's under huis belt IMO.
My Round 1 Team 2018

6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal

Jazza

Post by Jazza » Wed 06 Oct, 2010 10:06 pm

tig_prmz wrote:I say 4-0 to the Aussies

Hughes IMO deserves a spot ahead of North while Watson should be moved to the middle order. Just an opinion!

Don't think Smith will get a chance. He needs more ODI's under huis belt IMO.
2-1 to Australia.

I'd have Hughes in as well, I dont understand how after 2 bad Tests he gets dropped yet they have persisted with North and Hussey over a much longer period.

If it was up to me I would of drastically changed the order about a year ago, although I'm not expecting many to agree:

1. Katich
2. Hughes
3. Clarke
4. Watson
5. Ponting
6. Smith/Bailey
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Hauritz
10. Hilfenhaus
11. Bollinger

Clarke batted at number 3 for NSW when he started, being the next captain and our most consistent batsman I would have him at 3.
Watson has spent most of his first class career at 4 so he can go there.
Ponting isnt the player he was and probably needs to go down the order like what Viv Richards and Allan Border did at the end of their careers, he also began his career down the order.
Smith has shown what he can do and surely wouldnt be worse then North at number 6 and also Ponting can help him along. If not, I think Bailey would be a solid option, he had great Summer last season.

citizen cub

Post by citizen cub » Thu 07 Oct, 2010 9:58 am

Interesting point about Bailey, he's been scoring a lot of runs for Tassy over the past few seasons and I'm glad somebody mentioned his name, I don't know whether the selectors will though. Personally, I think he's a better batsmen than Smith but it really depends on whether the selectors want a second spinner or another batsmen.

Either way, I think both could do better than North and Smith's leggies are definitely going to worry the batsmen more so than North's honest offies. I feel a little sorry for North, because he was dominating at state level for a long time but because of the personnel the Australian team had for such a long time, didn't get a look in until he was 30, unfortunately another short term player, same goes with Hussey.
With Wests in the finals, ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE

Juro

Post by Juro » Thu 07 Oct, 2010 12:28 pm

I reckon the Ashes will be 2-2
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

Jazza

Post by Jazza » Thu 07 Oct, 2010 9:06 pm

citizen cub wrote:Interesting point about Bailey, he's been scoring a lot of runs for Tassy over the past few seasons and I'm glad somebody mentioned his name, I don't know whether the selectors will though. Personally, I think he's a better batsmen than Smith but it really depends on whether the selectors want a second spinner or another batsmen.

Either way, I think both could do better than North and Smith's leggies are definitely going to worry the batsmen more so than North's honest offies. I feel a little sorry for North, because he was dominating at state level for a long time but because of the personnel the Australian team had for such a long time, didn't get a look in until he was 30, unfortunately another short term player, same goes with Hussey.
Bailey did go to NZ for the ODI series earlier in the year but he didnt play.

I think Smith is favoured and then it may be a battle between Ferguson, Khawaja and Bailey as the next in line in the middle order. White may even be a chance as well or they may shift one of the openers down to bring Hughes in.

As Ferguson has scored runs at ODI, he looks like he has the edge, especially when Andrew Hilditch talks about him.

But I agree that Hussey and North are short term players, the more we select these guys to debut at 30+ the longer we are going to be in transition for. We have Katich, Hussey and Ponting at 35, Haddin at 32 and North at 31. I heard that Dave Hussey still has ambitions for the Test side and he is 33.

I think the reason why we were so successful for so long is that we didnt have a real transition period throughout the 90s. We went through a complete transition in the 80s with the likes of S Waugh, Boon, Jones, G Marsh, Healy, M Hughes, and Reid all debuting close together but a lot of those guys were slowly phased out and replaced by a younger generation with the likes of Hayden, Langer, Martyn, McGrath, Warne, Slater, Reiffel, Fleming, Ponting and Gillespie who all debuted between 1992 and 1995 under the age of 25.

We have seen a lot more players debut at around 30 throughout this period.