Warriors team announced

Demps
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Warriors team announced

Unread post by Demps » Tue 01 Mar, 2016 4:27 pm

I really don't and never have rated the warriors.
Beatable.

The new recruits are cool but RTS will struggle without the roosters superstars / won't be as good.
Johnson is a hype machine of 2012, he's really nothing special these days.

MacDougall
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by MacDougall » Tue 01 Mar, 2016 4:44 pm

Geo. wrote:Woooooo...Ben Henry is now a lock for my Fantasy Teams.......
Hell Ayshford when he plays is a decent fantasy player and he'd have to be worth nothing. Against us he could run 150m tbh.

And Thompson who was a fantasy gun last year is on the bench. Gavet is another who might get added to some teams now.

supercoach
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 64 times

Unread post by supercoach » Tue 01 Mar, 2016 4:56 pm

bigsiro wrote:
supercoach wrote:A combination of class,quality nrl players and a few plodders. I still say it is a fifty fifty bet and if anything we might be a little stronger
Actually laughed out loud at this comment... Hilarious!

I just think we are pretty equal, we are stronger in some positions and they are stronger in others, home ground,round one,hot day and I was impressed what they dished up against the Sharks given the Sharks were having a dig.

Anyway as I have said a million times, anything can happen in the first few rounds but I am confident we can give it a shake

bigsiro
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by bigsiro » Tue 01 Mar, 2016 5:22 pm

I love the optimism too and sure anything is possible in sport, but we are not equal or stronger in any position (excluding maybe Simona and Woods...maybe...).

Hey, I am as biased towards us as the next guy but it is dangerous to confuse an emotionally charged confidence with an expectation to win this game because if we lose then the knives will be out - and that's unfair.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

Fade To Black
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by Fade To Black » Tue 01 Mar, 2016 5:30 pm

bigsiro wrote:I love the optimism too and sure anything is possible in sport, but we are not equal or stronger in any position (excluding maybe Simona and Woods...maybe...).

Hey, I am as biased towards us as the next guy but it is dangerous to confuse an emotionally charged confidence with an expectation to win this game because if we lose then the knives will be out - and that's unfair.
I'd take Tedesco over Sheck.

watcher

Unread post by watcher » Tue 01 Mar, 2016 5:35 pm

Not trolling, just a perspective from Warriors fans, Really only Ayshford, which was no surprise, but a lot of support for Hurrell. Thompson was expected to start in the starting 13.

The bench contains a couple of surprises, most of us didn't expect Roache, he is a comer though, only 19 and can play multiple positions. Earnt his spot pre season. Gavet no surprise, surprised that Lisone got the spot ahead of Vete. However he is quick and has good footwork. Thompson hasn't had much game time so a logical choice.

As always with us ball security and defence will be the key.

Newtown
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Newtown » Tue 01 Mar, 2016 5:49 pm

With a shorter interchange and a hot day coming up WT need a speedy replacement hooker which certainly neither Lovett or Buchanan are. I thought Taylor learnt a lesson when he had Lovett playing centre last year/ They may however be handy if the game is played on a quagmire which is not on the forecast. I hope Taylor comes to his senses and swaps Chee Kam for either Lovett or Buchanan.

Nelson
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by Nelson » Tue 01 Mar, 2016 6:35 pm

bigsiro wrote:I love the optimism too and sure anything is possible in sport, but we are not equal or stronger in any position (excluding maybe Simona and Woods...maybe...).

I think we'll be fine if we stay solid defensively up the guts. They are defensively weak in the centres and Lolohea is not experienced playing on the wing. Look for Tedesco to wreak havoc by running lines at the inside shoulder of both Ayshford and Kata.

Goose

Unread post by Goose » Tue 01 Mar, 2016 6:43 pm

McFadden must want to come home, as if Cappy wasn't under enough pressure he leaves out Hurrell and Fusitua and finds room for Ayshford and Wright (albeit on the extended bench).
I know Robson is solid, but they could have went for so much more dangerous combinations if they went either Lolahea or Hingano in 6 and Johnson at 7.

I reckon Cappy has given us an excellent chance to get them...

cunno

Unread post by cunno » Tue 01 Mar, 2016 6:54 pm

Wow Ayshford must have trained the house down pre season looking at their side we could have been a chance if Farah and Brooks played but it will be a tall order with Luke, RTS and Johnson sparking their attack.

willow
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 61 times

Unread post by willow » Tue 01 Mar, 2016 8:26 pm

Pretty decent side, Ayshford is a bit of a surprise. We'll need to start well and win the ruck so Johnson doesn't have any room to move. Kick and chase will be vital as well against RTS.

Goose

Unread post by Goose » Tue 01 Mar, 2016 8:59 pm

watcher wrote:Not trolling, just a perspective from Warriors fans, Really only Ayshford, which was no surprise, but a lot of support for Hurrell. Thompson was expected to start in the starting 13.

The bench contains a couple of surprises, most of us didn't expect Roache, he is a comer though, only 19 and can play multiple positions. Earnt his spot pre season. Gavet no surprise, surprised that Lisone got the spot ahead of Vete. However he is quick and has good footwork. Thompson hasn't had much game time so a logical choice.

You Say no surprise with Ashford, but do you agree with it.
Fusitua and Hurrell seem better options

Magpie Ryan

Unread post by Magpie Ryan » Tue 01 Mar, 2016 9:31 pm

That's a good warriors team.A good first hit out for the boys.

C'mon Wests!

tig_prmz
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by tig_prmz » Tue 01 Mar, 2016 11:14 pm

good to see 3 ex tigers in the first choice team of a probable top 4 side.

even though they have RTS and lolohea, we have them covered in the 1-5.
they smash us in the halves, edges, forwards and the bench though. we'll have to focus on getting early ball to simona/naiqama. the warriors forwards will dictate the speed as they like.

wouldnt mind an umbrella type defense as all our backs can turn and chase if needed.

FOOTY IS BACK BABY!
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Defiant
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Defiant » Tue 01 Mar, 2016 11:14 pm

Targeting Ashford in defence has to be on the cards.

He is the weakest link but will probably have a blinder against us.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Wed 02 Mar, 2016 12:09 am

I have some hope now

Can't believe the Warriors are contemplating playing Johnson @ 6

Milky
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Milky » Wed 02 Mar, 2016 12:21 am

Goose wrote:
watcher wrote:Not trolling, just a perspective from Warriors fans, Really only Ayshford, which was no surprise, but a lot of support for Hurrell. Thompson was expected to start in the starting 13.

You Say no surprise with Ashford, but do you agree with it.
Fusitua and Hurrell seem better options

Welcome to the forum Watcher,

I agree with Ayshford being selected, i think he still has the potential to return to his lethal form, he played his best football with quality halves which he has not had since the Lui/Marshall era, Johnson might just reignite him.

jirskyr
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 96 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Wed 02 Mar, 2016 8:17 am

Warriors have the same fundamental problem as Tigers do - enough elite-quality players to be dangerous, not enough cohesion as a team to be consistent.

I think most non-Warriors fans would have big question marks on the quality of their backline and bench, same as for us. For example, I think Lolohea is wasted on the wing, but he's not strong enough to break into the halves and obviously they now have RTS at the back.

I don't rate Kata/Ayshford as a centre pairing at all. As noted previously, Kata is a real liability in defence, esp on his own line, and unless Aysh has turned it around massively, I thought his form was ordinary in his last year for us, possibly worse at Sharks.

Warriors have a good spine and plenty of size. I wonder how Gavet will go with reduced interchange.

Return to “Round 1: Wests Tigers vs New Zealand Warriors”