The New Guys

MacDougall
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

The New Guys

Unread post by MacDougall » Sat 05 Mar, 2016 8:21 pm

We had the following players on club debut tonight...

Jordan Rankin
Jack Littlejohn
Tim Grant
Josh Aloiai

How do you rate them?

My thoughts:

Personally I was disappointed by Rankin's performance. I thought he was weak under the high ball, showed insecurity with ball in hand and wasn't as fast as I hoped.

Littlejohn seems an ok defender, but was miles behind Moses in terms of creative halves play. Doesn't look like a threat to Moses or Brooks, wasn't much better than Drinkwater.

Tim Grant looked like a very astute purchase, his middle third play was a large reason we were asserting dominance in the ruck. Will be handy.

Josh Aloiai, could be anything. God he hits hard and runs hard. For a debut, for a backrower, that was so so encouraging.

Obviously Brooks straight into the halves, Halatau into the 9 if Cherrington isn't good to start. Grant retains his spot, and I personally would have Aloiai straight into the starting side and Sironen back to the bench or worst. I'd give Addo Carr a run next week. He played good in state cup and Rankin didn't do enough to keep him out. Taylor should show his hand straight away and promote Addo Carr.

king sirro
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Unread post by king sirro » Sat 05 Mar, 2016 8:30 pm

Littlejohn is a tradesman. Fills in and plays the role needed.

Rankin is not a winger. If he isnt our first choice goal kicker than he should be in state cup unless there are injuries.

Josh A is a gun.

Grant was very good. I liked what he did.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Sat 05 Mar, 2016 8:48 pm

I agree with both of you.
The two forwards stay, the two backs are for emergency use only.

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Sat 05 Mar, 2016 8:50 pm

King Sirro nails every point. I reckon we might have scored more points if JAC was in the team as well and maybe stopped another one when we were outflanked on Rankin's wing.
Last edited by stevetiger on Sat 05 Mar, 2016 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bathursttiger
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 62 times

Unread post by bathursttiger » Sat 05 Mar, 2016 8:57 pm

Aloiai might just turn out to be our "Beau Scott, Hoffman, Guerra, Cordner" someone with a bit of mongrel in him.

underdog
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by underdog » Sat 05 Mar, 2016 9:01 pm

king sirro wrote:Littlejohn is a tradesman. Fills in and plays the role needed.

Rankin is not a winger. If he isnt our first choice goal kicker than he should be in state cup unless there are injuries.

Josh A is a gun.

Grant was very good. I liked what he did.
The fact that it was SIMONA that ran across to run down RTS, and not Rankin on that intercept speaks volumes about his pace.

Addo Carr was a smasher in State cup - get him in the team - can't be any worse than Koriobete on defense.

TIGER
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by TIGER » Sat 05 Mar, 2016 9:03 pm

Jordan Rankin - Not a winger, and im afraid we won't see the best of him. I'll reserve judgement until i see him play where i think he should.

Jack Littlejohn - Thought he went well, was solid and im no longer concerned if one of our halves is out with injury, great security for us.

Tim Grant = Galloway, paint Grants head red and you can't tell the difference, exactly the same level of ability in every part of the front row forwards game.

Josh Aloiai - Well well well what have we got here?
this fellow is going places and is a bigger surprise than i expected, he looks very very comfortable in the NRL and seems to have a motor too. Looking forward to watching him continue to improve this year, i can already see him becoming my favourite player.
Last edited by TIGER on Sat 05 Mar, 2016 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Goose

Unread post by Goose » Sat 05 Mar, 2016 9:05 pm

Grant was brilliant. Especially in the first 30 minutes.

Littlejohn played the role he was asked to do. We actually were significantly better when he was at DH with Lovett an extra forward.

Aloaia was excellent, don't agree with him replacing Sirro was very good. Aloaia was terrific in the middle, wouldn't want to move him to the edge.

Rankin did ok, id keep him.

MacDougall
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by MacDougall » Sat 05 Mar, 2016 9:59 pm

Grant was just like Galloway except runs faster, harder and hits harder in defence. Oh wait, he's nothing like Galloway.

gallagher
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 37 times

Unread post by gallagher » Sat 05 Mar, 2016 10:26 pm

MacDougall wrote:Grant was just like Galloway except runs faster, harder and hits harder in defence. Oh wait, he's nothing like Galloway.
Damn straight! What an upgrade.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 96 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Sat 05 Mar, 2016 10:52 pm

I only saw the last 20 so I don't think it's fair to assess the guys on that. Paid particular attention to Grant who looked spent (fair enough in the fourth quarter of the game,) and Rankin didn't offer much other than a hitup out of our own half.

Will wait to see the next game before I pass judgement.
It's not cruelty if you inject enough amphetamines...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

hobbo
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 71 times

Unread post by hobbo » Sat 05 Mar, 2016 10:56 pm

I hate the way Rankin holds the ball with two hands out infront .. Poor ball security !
EPL 2014/15 Predict 6
Competition ...CHAMPION !
Winner of the 2016 $$$$
Work tipping comp !

maxxy86
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by maxxy86 » Sat 05 Mar, 2016 11:27 pm

Can't disagree with anyone on the newbies...thought Rankin did look out of place on the wing and he didn't kick goals so the jury is out there. Littlejohn went ok as he was virtually roving all game and gave good service. Aloaia was solid but my standout today was Grant thought he absolutely killed it :sign:
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

Harvey
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Unread post by Harvey » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 12:07 am

Grant played big minutes, and killed it for a big bloke. If you weren't out there, you don't understand how sapping the heat was. He is a great signing, though not sure about the rotation where woods is the first prop off.

Curaeus
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Curaeus » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 12:21 am

Grant was simply terrific yesterday. He was one of the major factors in at least one try, tackled like a demon and seemed to pop up anywhere he was needed. Before this season is over, Souths will be regretting letting him go and people will be lauding him as one of any team's best signings for season 2016

Fade To Black
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by Fade To Black » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 12:30 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:I only saw the last 20 so I don't think it's fair to assess the guys on that. Paid particular attention to Grant who looked spent (fair enough in the fourth quarter of the game,) and Rankin didn't offer much other than a hitup out of our own half.

Will wait to see the next game before I pass judgement.
Grant was great. Plenty of solid hit-ups. Geez Littlejohn looks like Ben Galea IMO, I'd had a fair few tinnies while watching and subconsciously thought old BG was out there a few times!

wd in perth
Has liked: 5 times

Unread post by wd in perth » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 1:57 am

Was really looking forward to seeing Grant debut for us and he didn't disappoint. What a brilliant purchase he was. He looks like he's been amongst the team for years. (If only he had been) I was satisfied with all the new guys - Rankin included.

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by sheer64 » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 2:04 am

Grant was great. Thank you Sam B for coming back to ARL.
Arise Sir Waste Anasta, Tool of the highest order!

Return to “Round 1: Wests Tigers vs New Zealand Warriors”