The New Guys

glebe_tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Re: The New Guys

Unread post by glebe_tiger » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 3:30 am

Grant played well from what I saw didn't see whole game was out at a party. Early days but very happy with this buy.

jirskyr
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 95 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 9:05 am

One thing I disagree on - I thought Littlejohn was fairly good, being asked to play different roles. Not great but MILES better than anything I've seen from Drinkwater.

batboy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by batboy » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 11:00 am

hobbo2803 wrote:I hate the way Rankin holds the ball with two hands out infront .. Poor ball security !
That's 'cos he's a 5/8 of FB... Not a winger...

pHyR3

Unread post by pHyR3 » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 11:22 am

not a fan of rankin - the way he got smoked on the wing and then the generally average pace and average high balls doesnt fill me with confidence

would prefer him as a backup
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

MacDougall
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by MacDougall » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 11:26 am

There is no way Addo Carr isn't a better winger than Rankin. Faster, better finisher, better under the high ball. Rankin is there as cover for if Tedesco or one of the halves gets injured mid game.

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by 2041 » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 12:34 pm

Rankin obviously isn't a winger. Did ok out of position, I can understand why Taylor went with the guy who's less likely to be a defensive liability in round one. Will be interesting to see when/if he has the nuts to give Addo-Carr a run.

Littlejohn did all you can ask of a backup half when the 'established' partner is playing well: got out of the way and didn't make a mess of things. Good discipline.

Grant was good, all we could have hoped for really. His days of being a rep player are long gone but he looked like he could be a better than average first-grade prop.

Ailoai was really interesting - very promising debut. If Lawrence is going to play 80 and Sironen around 70 every week, I think using Ailoai and Sue to cover 90-ish minutes of back row time (maybe a few extra of prop time if we're going to continue carrying an unused prop interchange!) could work very well. Almost permanent impact on the field.

Sabre
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by Sabre » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 12:57 pm

I'd give Addo Carr a run as soon as possible.
I reckon his defence isn't as bad as some people make out.

Mighty Tiger
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Mighty Tiger » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 1:36 pm

Grant was great, loved his defense, mongrel, meters and even did an offload. Hope he stays injury free as could build a great forward combination with Woods and Sue.

Ailoia early signs very positive could be the impact to starter prospect we need to keep Sirro and Lawerance on notice.

Littlejohn when at dummy half gave Mitch more room than Cherrington did, the forwards had clear ball and we just looked quicker. I noticed he also came up the line and made a lot of tackles around the legs which stopped the big warriors quicker as well. Was impressed with him. Could be the utility we need on the bench once Robbie is back.

Rankin looked slow, was out of position, didn't bend the line, struggled to show speed in space and made a silly error at a crucial time of the game 10ms out from our line. I still don't know what value he adds over JAC. There were moments were JAC speed would of causes all sorts of issues and would provide a clear weapon on the other side away from Nofo (who is getting back to his brilliant best).

Some astute signings so far let's see how they kick on

greatodensraven
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 16 times

Unread post by greatodensraven » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 1:47 pm

Just on Rankn, did he do enough to keep his spot for next week? I know we need stability in the team but if Moses is taking the conversions & Addo-Carr continues to carve up in NSW cup how long can we justify keeping Rankin in 1sts on the wing?

Fade To Black
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by Fade To Black » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 3:38 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing Hunt get a go on the wing either. Haven't seen a whole lot if him play but from a few games for the Dragons last season he seemed to be good at getting into dummy half and taking the dirty hitups off of the goal line. In these days of reduced interchange and more minutes for the forwards this sort of dummyhalf running is more valuable than ever.
JAC is an interesting proposition but if he is like Marika in that he scores 2 tries but lets in 3 then that's an issue obviously. Not saying that his defence is as shoddy as Marika's though,time will tell.

krayola
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by krayola » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 4:02 pm

Let's hope Grant can consistently bring that level of aggression. My gripe w Galloway was that his first 3-4 games every year were his best. He'd then drop a level, which wasn't really good enough for a team as light as ours. More than anything, the new guys seem to be tough and unselfish. Bodes well.

willow
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 61 times

Unread post by willow » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 6:21 pm

king sirro wrote:Littlejohn is a tradesman. Fills in and plays the role needed.

Rankin is not a winger. If he isnt our first choice goal kicker than he should be in state cup unless there are injuries.

Josh A is a gun.

Grant was very good. I liked what he did.
Agree. I'd like to see Addo-Carr take the left wing spot. His speed will finish many a backline play and if he gets on the outside of his man, shut the gate. Rankin should probably play fullback in State Cup, allowing Heleta to move back into the centres.

The other player I am interested to see is Edwards once he gains some match fitness.

Return to “Round 1: Wests Tigers vs New Zealand Warriors”