Can someone explain to me

jirskyr
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 95 times

Can someone explain to me

Unread post by jirskyr » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 9:10 am

How Moses got penalised for diving on the footy?

Klein was saying something about not being allowed to dive on the footy when they have a dummy half, but Robson must have been 5+ metres away from the play, and the ball was just sitting there.

Moses was arguing that he was square, and I think he was, but that isn't why he was penalised.

In future we can just refuse to pick up the footy from a PTB? Waste the clock down?

It was crucial to the Warriors, gave them another leg-up in their comeback.

I remain baffled.

king sirro
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Unread post by king sirro » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 9:18 am

jirskyr wrote:How Moses got penalised for diving on the footy?

Klein was saying something about not being allowed to dive on the footy when they have a dummy half, but Robson must have been 5+ metres away from the play, and the ball was just sitting there.

Moses was arguing that he was square, and I think he was, but that isn't why he was penalised.

In future we can just refuse to pick up the footy from a PTB? Waste the clock down?

It was crucial to the Warriors, gave them another leg-up in their comeback.

I remain baffled.
Lol like mini footy, cant move until the ball has cleared the ruck, so technically the dummy half could just stand over the ball for 10 minutes and the opposition isnt allowed to move. Dont think that would fly in the NRL
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Yossarian
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 96 times

Unread post by Yossarian » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 9:28 am

They always ping that even though there is no ruck. The whole play the ball is a joke. First you couldn't strike for the ball now you don't seem to need to play the ball facing straight ahead or with the foot,

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 134 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 9:32 am

Klein hates us
Bastard

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 9:43 am

I thought that decision was wrong. It was a quick PTB and their dummy half was tardy. Was a good play by Moses.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 256 times

Unread post by Geo. » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 9:50 am

I thought Klein said You can't do it when they don't have a Dummy half...I to was baffled...seemed a fair play to me...

There is no contest for the football apart from bombs...Oh for the days you could rake for the football..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

MacDougall
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by MacDougall » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 9:52 am

I think (correct me if you know better) that you can't dive into the ruck. If he had have scooped through and picked it up and stayed on his feet it would have been legal.

Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by Masterton » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 9:58 am

I think it was play on. It is just the normal reaction of refs to blow the whistle whenever they see something unexpected.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by southerntiger » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 10:13 am

MacDougall wrote:I think (correct me if you know better) that you can't dive into the ruck. If he had have scooped through and picked it up and stayed on his feet it would have been legal.
Yeh its in the notes to section 11 of the International Laws of the Game, which deals with the tackle and play the ball. It states as follows:

4. If the player marking the tackled player at the play-the-ball dives behind the tackled player in order to drop on the ball as it is heeled, he is guilty of a voluntary tackle and should be penalised. If there is no acting halfback it is permissible for a player to dive behind the tackled player and drop on the ball after it has been heeled provided that, unless tackled, he immediately regains his feet.

Section 11 otherwise states:

When the ball touches the ground it must be heeled (i.e. backwards) by the tackled player. The ball must not be kicked or heeled by the player marking him. The ball is in play when it has been played backward.

So there was nothing to prevent Moses from running through and picking up the ball.

We may have then been penalised for interfering in the ruck as I recall Robson protesting he couldn't get through because a player was lying in front of him. However, IMO it was mainly because he was looking at his line to see what he was going to do.

MacDougall

Unread post by MacDougall » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 10:36 am

So technically the penalty is for a voluntary tackle? Haha okay so it shouldn't have been a penalty after all. Good stuff. If that were the case anybody diving on a grubber is also guilty of a voluntary tackle.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 134 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 11:03 am

MacDougall wrote:So technically the penalty is for a voluntary tackle? Haha okay so it shouldn't have been a penalty after all. Good stuff. If that were the case anybody diving on a grubber is also guilty of a voluntary tackle.
It's not the ruck area... It's a different scenario... They can be penalised for VT but how often does it happen when it should?

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 11:15 am

Anyway, no one on here is going to crucify Moses for diving on the ball and we hope he can do it more often but get away with it. He has a bit of mouth in him - he can be a future captain.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Yossarian

Unread post by Yossarian » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 11:18 am

There was no ruck. The rule quoted by southerntiger says you can dive on the ball if there is no dummy half but you need to regain your feet to avoid being pinged for a voluntary tackle. Okay sure but this applies to diving on the ball or to the ground in any situation so either you penalise all voluntary tackles or none.

Yossarian

Unread post by Yossarian » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 11:19 am

MacDougall wrote:So technically the penalty is for a voluntary tackle? Haha okay so it shouldn't have been a penalty after all. Good stuff. If that were the case anybody diving on a grubber is also guilty of a voluntary tackle.
You can dive on the ball but you need to stand up straight after.

MacDougall

Unread post by MacDougall » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 11:23 am

Yeah but that it falls into the realm of the voluntary tackle makes the entire concept ridiculous by virtue of them not penalising voluntary tackles in any other scenario.

saundo1982

Unread post by saundo1982 » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 11:26 am

Yossarian wrote:
Ref blew the whistle pretty quickly and didnt give a chance to get back to his feet.

Yossarian

Unread post by Yossarian » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 11:28 am

saundo1982 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Ref blew the whistle pretty quickly and didnt give a chance to get back to his feet.
I'm not defending the penalty I was replying to saundo's comment about diving on grubbers.

Yossarian

Unread post by Yossarian » Sun 06 Mar, 2016 11:30 am

MacDougall wrote:Yeah but that it falls into the realm of the voluntary tackle makes the entire concept ridiculous by virtue of them not penalising voluntary tackles in any other scenario.
Agreed. I made the same point earlier in this thread.

Return to “Round 1: Wests Tigers vs New Zealand Warriors”