TAUPAU...

Harvey

Re: TAUPAU...

Post by Harvey » Sat 12 Mar, 2016 11:55 am

bigsiro wrote:
stevetiger wrote:I rate him. He can turn a game. Hopefully we contain him.
Yep. He's awesome. Wish he was still in our colours.
Agree, Moltzen was a loss

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Sat 12 Mar, 2016 11:55 am

Calling Taupau a WTs reject is a bit rough. I was very critical of WTs releasing him at the time but (after game one) it does look It did free up a lot of cash and our forwards played well without Taupau's presence . Maybe the WTs got that one right, purchasing Alioia and the younger forwards stepping up, even Lovett looks stronger this year.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

doublesonthemain

Post by doublesonthemain » Sat 12 Mar, 2016 11:11 pm

Manly were dominated by the Bulldog pack and have made a couple of changes so they obviously want to rectify that. If they do then Marty will benefit as well. I think that if the Tigers can match them early then we might just have too much in attack with the halves and Teddy getting into the game. But our pack, and our bench, needs to aim up. This game has the potential to be a real beauty, Golden Point would not surprise.

andrew 474

Post by andrew 474 » Sat 12 Mar, 2016 11:59 pm

Marty is avery strong guy but footy tells me hit him low around the legs and he goes no where , we need to just cut him down and he is nothing , when he takes a hit up easy 3 on him and don't let go

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 7:31 am

I thought it was clear why taupau signed. He was offered marquee money and we didn't want to pay it for a guy who doesn't have a motor suited to rule changes designed to speed up the game.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 10:28 am

andrew 474 wrote:Marty is avery strong guy but footy tells me hit him low around the legs and he goes no where , we need to just cut him down and he is nothing , when he takes a hit up easy 3 on him and don't let go
I agree and I think he's wasted as a starting player. He's the very definition of an impact player, but in the early exchanges he gets used up and the opposition is fresh. It's hard to blast through opposition props or halves when they've only made a handful of tackles.

Also I think he should be used running short balls just off the halves, with a longer wind-up, but he doesn't seem to put himself in that position with any consistency. When playing for us in 2014, he would often run that short outside line and be devastating - have a look at this 2014 highlights reel from bon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdFjxUE0hx0

But last year he seemed to put it away for more traditional hit-ups. I feel his involvement dropped and I question if he has the motor to keep running wider lines, as an option, when he's not always going to receive the footy.

Team also got wise last year, as andrew notes, and if you see him lining up for a standard hit-up you just need to close as fast as you can, go low and watch for the right fend.

A few heavy-traffic tough runs, a dozen tackles and honestly you've seen off Marty's opening stint.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 12:48 pm

larrycorowa wrote:I thought it was clear why taupau signed. He was offered marquee money and we didn't want to pay it for a guy who doesn't have a motor suited to rule changes designed to speed up the game.
The thing is though . He played 60 minutes last week,( telegraph stats.) so someone must be doing something about his lack of ability to be on the field longer.
I wondered last year why he wasn't doing more to improve his ability to play longer.
Either him of his Coaches, or both, should have been addressing that situation way before this.
If Barrett can improve his time on field capacity, his best may surprise some.
He is one player, that worries me for Monday night.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 1:29 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
larrycorowa wrote:I thought it was clear why taupau signed. He was offered marquee money and we didn't want to pay it for a guy who doesn't have a motor suited to rule changes designed to speed up the game.
The thing is though . He played 60 minutes last week,( telegraph stats.) so someone must be doing something about his lack of ability to be on the field longer.
He may have played 60 minutes but his effectiveness is only demonstrated in 20 minute bursts- he doesn't have 60 minutes of quality consistent work-rate footy in him like some other players do.
Hope he gets smashed on Monday.

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 4:35 pm

Yeah he was ineffective as a starter for us. Any impact was undone by errors from tiredness. I think you will find unless his body shape changes he will only be effective in short sharp bursts.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 8:40 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:
He may have played 60 minutes but his effectiveness is only demonstrated in 20 minute bursts- he doesn't have 60 minutes of quality consistent work-rate footy in him like some other players do.
Hope he gets smashed on Monday.
I said if " Barrett could can improve his effectiveness"
He's not ever going to be an 80 minute player, but he is already doing more minutes than he did here.
It's early in the season yet but I hope he does get fitter, just hope it's not on Monday night

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 9:11 pm

Looks like Tarzan, can play some minutes with the power of Cheeta, but the longer he stays out there, the more he plays like Jane.

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 9:25 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Tigerdon wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Where does he go? They've got two quality centres.

Swap Lyon into 5/8? They've paid big money for him, they won't sit Walker out.
What about the Moltz ??
...Moltz injured his hand
Probably an RSI from signalling the bench or handing the ball off to a winger for kick returns

Gotta love the Moltz .... the gift that just keeps on giving

Ooopps sorry CK :D

Lol... :lol:

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 9:27 pm

Moltzen dislocated his elbow I hear

Tigertigertiger

Post by Tigertigertiger » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 9:31 pm

Take taupau out at all costs

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 10:25 pm

innsaneink wrote:Moltzen dislocated his elbow I hear
Bloody hell he would have to be the most injury prone player I've ever heard of! Has done well to still be around the NRL I guess. Makes Brett Papworth look durable in comparison.

InBenjiWeTrust

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 10:41 pm

formerguest wrote:Looks like Tarzan, can play some minutes with the power of Cheeta, but the longer he stays out there, the more he plays like Jane.
x2
huge potential, but used his strengths once a blue moon for WT :oops:

tsjonathan

Post by tsjonathan » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 9:35 am

Wish him all the best in his recovery and hopes he keep his chin up. Saw some of his wedding photos at Seargents Mess on FB and he seemed happy as. Married a mates sister.

Tigermama

Post by Tigermama » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 10:43 am

tsjonathan wrote:

Wish him all the best in his recovery and hopes he keep his chin up. Saw some of his wedding photos at Seargents Mess on FB and he seemed happy as. Married a mates sister.
Doesn't everyone look happy on their wedding day pics?... Unless of course it's a shotgun wedding :lol:
The injury Gods love him...