'Spiritual home' success key for Tigers

willow

Post by willow » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 2:57 pm

Sun 13 Mar, 2016, 12:00pm
By Martin Gabor‌, National Correspondent, NRL.com

With four of their first seven games at either Leichhardt Oval or Campbelltown Stadium, the Tigers are fully aware they need to turn around the recent poor record at their 'spiritual homes' if they want to play finals football.

The venues used to be a fortress for the 2005 premiers, but in recent times, they have been anything but. The Tigers have managed just two wins from their past eight clashes at Leichhardt Oval, while the record at Campbelltown is slightly better, winning four from eight over the past two seasons.

Having banked a Round One win against the Warriors, Chris Lawrence wants his side to emulate that performance when the Tigers face Manly at Leichhardt in Monday Night Football in front of what he hopes will be a bumper crowd.

The last time these two sides met in Sydney's inner-west was Round 5, 2014, with the joint-venture side running out comfortable 34-18 winners against their more fancied rivals.

"We're going to do everything we possibly can to start strong and to have those home ground advantages early on is definitely going to help," Lawrence said.

"In saying that, it'll only help if the fans turn up. So hopefully they come along and support us. We'll be doing everything we can during the week and on the field to get those wins, and if the fans are there, they'll give us that extra boost we need."

Lawrence says the crowd support at Campbelltown in Round 1 was like having a 14th man on the field, and believes it helped his side hang on for the eight-point win against the Warriors.

"The crowd was sensational. It was the best crowd we've had there for a year or two. It was really great to see the crowd get behind us in Round One," the back-rower said.

"It was almost like an afternoon game with the heat. And at the back end of the game when the Warriors started coming back, I definitely think the crowd helped us to turn that momentum in the last 10 minutes to help us hold on.

"I love both Leichhardt and Campbelltown and I'm looking forward to getting back there on Monday night."

New recruit Tim Grant was one of the Tigers' best against the Warriors in a dominant display up front alongside skipper Aaron Woods.

After tasting success in his first NRL game in Tigers colours, the former Panther and Rabbitoh is looking forward to stepping out on what his teammates have told him is sacred turf.

"I've played there against the Tigers but never for the Tigers. Some of the boys say it's the eighth wonder of the world so I can't wait. It'll be awesome."

Post by 851 » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 8:31 pm

2 wins from our last 8 games at Leichhardt is a dreadful record.
Go hard or go home

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 8:42 pm

851 wrote:2 wins from our last 8 games at Leichhardt is a dreadful record.

Yeah it's pretty bad , it hasn't been a Fortress for quite some time .
But we're 4 from 5 against the silver tail scum at Leichhardt !
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 8:44 pm

I wish I didn't have to work Tuesday, or I would be there I love Leichhardt.

doublesonthemain

Post by doublesonthemain » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 9:01 pm

I think a bumper crowd will generally lift the two teams who play, and in the case of Manly they love to be hated so not sure if a big crowd getting behind the local team will make it any more difficult for them. But a crowd that gets on the back of the officials, calling for forward passes, off sides etc might help the home team with some decisions. Of course if the away team is lacking some timing and touch then the crowd might also have some effect on their confidence by cheering every poor bit of footy from that team, and that's obviously my hope tomorrow night.
But what I think good support really does for a home team is show the players how special the club is, they want to be part of a club that has great support. If I was a young player coming off contract there'd be a number of things that'd influence my decision of where I'd want to play. But most of all I'd want to play at a club where I think I could experience success (play finals footy) and secondly I'd want to play at a club with great support. Money would be an issue but one I'd let my manager look after.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 9:58 pm

I know Manly supporters won't travel. So the crowd will be 99% WTs fans. Unlike the Warriors fans who seems to pop up at every ground in Oz.
in Ivan we distrust

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 11:32 pm

Yeah the record of late hasn't been flash but i think we can get this one and be 2-0 again this year. With our halves a year wiser and a forward pack making meters and we do have some very slick finishers. Plus a voicetrous leichardt oval we've got this in the bag.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

Tigertigertiger

Post by Tigertigertiger » Sun 13 Mar, 2016 11:43 pm

Home crowd is worth at least 8 points so I'm tipping a 8 point victory

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 7:29 am

Looking forward to night. Let's make it a very tough night for Manly. They don't like coming to L.O. For good reason.
in Ivan we distrust

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 8:28 am

Again with the spiritual home wank. Our record at LO of late has been awful.
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 8:35 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:Again with the spiritual home wank. Our record at LO of late has been awful.

I love a home ground for the atmosphere....however if the team is good enough at playing rugby league,they should win at any ground.....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 8:36 am

Our home win record since 2009 is not the worst - 54.55% (all grounds). But Dragons also have 3 home grounds and are 63.64% during the same period at home.

BUT when you come 10th, 15th, 13th, 15th in the last 4 years, all your records are shot, at all venues.

Even last year we won 8 games total and 4 of those were "away" games, although 2 of those were at ANZ (we also won at Gold Coast and Canberra). It's hard to take any angle, make any place a fortress when you've only won 18 games in the past two completed seasons.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 8:46 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:Again with the spiritual home wank. Our record at LO of late has been awful.
I don't go to church that much, but I love going to LO. Standing on the hill watching my team play, makes it a happy place for me.
in Ivan we distrust

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 8:53 am

Tigerdon wrote:
I don't go to church that much, but I love going to LO. Standing on the hill watching my team play, makes it a happy place for me.
Until the play moves into the corners and you can't see a thing.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 8:54 am

Tigertigertiger wrote:Home crowd is worth at least 8 points so I'm tipping a 8 point victory
That's a very old theory that doesn't exist in the modern game.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 9:16 am

Tigerdon wrote:
I get that Don. I love LO as well, many of my happiest childhood memories are of LO. But they tie in the "spiritual home" label it like it's some bloody fortress. We have barely won there in the last two years. It is simply not.
#penaltyTigers

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 9:19 am

I always remember a cold Wednesday night in 77 when I venture to LO

Its old school and great

jctiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jctiger » Mon 14 Mar, 2016 9:33 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tigerdon wrote:
Until the play moves into the corners and you can't see a thing.
True, but it is very picturesque on a Sunday afternoon