Credit to the Coach

Eddie

Re: Credit to the Coach

Post by Eddie » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 9:42 am

jirskyr wrote:
Eddie wrote: Big tick for listening to some of the boys and adapting a style of footy which suits our kids.
Still can't help yourself.

Just going off all the comments from the players.

They all say they talked to the coach and JT has loosened the reigns.

Im hardly making a big call.

If it upsets you so be it.

Goose

Post by Goose » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 9:53 am

Loving the terrific structure we are playing, looks awesome.

Last year I hated the way we advanced the ball between the 20's, but thought on the attack we were ok.

Seems like we have further expanded our play this and it was great.

We seemed a little more conservative than last week, but a better balance.

No one has looked better than us this year in terms of our structure ball movement and bodies in motion.

We still have young players being ill-disciplined and making wrong options, but our systems defence and attack are terrific. That is a big tick to the coach.

I dont know if last year was a stepping stone to this year or not, but I love where we are now, and acknowledge there is a good chance it was a 2 year process.

I love Farah, and he is awesome in his own right, but we have looked terrific with quick sharp service from DH without trying to add anything (or much) from there, Farah's strength is his creativity, adding this might make us more dangerous, but could also detract from the at depth bodies in motion style we are playing now. Time will tell.

Flip side Ballin (IMO a lesser player than Robbie) is one of the best at quick sharp service. Nice decision to make for Taylor.

TopTiger

Post by TopTiger » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 10:12 am

Credit to all concerned with preparing the team for this season. Whilst I have been critical of Taylor in the past I can not fault our start to the season and kudos to him and all the coaching staff. Let's hope the wins keep coming!!

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 10:15 am

In years gone by, our boys would have gone to water when Manly ran down the 14 point deficit. They dug in and put them to the sword last night. Credit should go to everyone from JT down to the boys on the pitch. Seems like the plans have been adapted to suit the strengths of the squad and it is paying dividends. There appears to be a change in attitude on the pitch as well, a bit more dogged resolve being displayed which is something that has not been seen in this club since 2005.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 11:02 am

Put simply, they are earning the right to play expansive football. Cast your minds back to when Taylor pulled them in.....after the Canberra match at Leichhardt last season. Blew a 20 odd point lead playing loose footy.

It may pay to remember Taylor played behind some pretty dour teams, but with good forward packs (Wests and Norths). Those forward packs made him the halfback that he became and whilst all the talk has been about the talents of our halves, perhaps at 1st grade level they did not appreciate the value of a strong forward pack. At schoolboy and NYC level, having a massive forward pack probably doesn't matter as the best player, no matter the position, can always stand out. In 1st grade, you need strength up front and discipline. Playing that dour type of football last season has probably been a key lesson for these young halves. We are running hard, holding the ball and then comes the money play.

The signing of Grant could be one of the best signings in the club's history. All the talk is Tedesco for NSW, but Grant is surely coming into reckoning.

stryker

Post by stryker » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 11:20 am

As I have said previously, I think the coaching staff have done great work during the off season.
We showed glimpses of this in the back third of season '15. They are getting the mix right and the players look happy out there. They have worked on the right areas of the teams' game and you can plainly see a better attitude on the field.

Great to see.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 11:39 am

Eddie wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
Eddie wrote: Big tick for listening to some of the boys and adapting a style of footy which suits our kids.

I've sussed it out ..Eddie mentioned a bit back we would be surprised who he went to games with on the forum...

It's clear now Eddie and jirskyr sitting in a tree...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 11:42 am

haha

Not a bad call but no cigar.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 12:40 pm

I am still happy that JT s at our club.

When we loos a game or 3 later in the year I will be expecting people to remember what the side looked like in the early weeks.

I respect JT for forcing the club and the players to address some issues that were holding us back for many many years.

Lets be very very honest we have played two teams that are not playing to their potentials as yet and should figure in the better half of the table towards the end of the season.

There still needs to be a lot of work in defense, some of the trys that have been scored against us have been downright embarrassing. I can recal 4 trys in the past 2 weeks at least that should not have been scored.

Looking forward to Farah returning soon for some added composure and Grit in the Centre of field which should free up the Halves to play what they see even more.

Well done Coach and the players, you have made this Tiger and his cubs very happy.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 12:47 pm

Geo. wrote:
Eddie wrote:
jirskyr wrote:

I've sussed it out ..Eddie mentioned a bit back we would be surprised who he went to games with on the forum...

It's clear now Eddie and jirskyr sitting in a tree...
Not unless Eddie is my Dad? Daddy!?

HOWEVER, given the mostly anonymous posting that goes on here, I do wonder if there are people on the forum who do not realise that they actually know each other in real life.

JNR008

Post by JNR008 » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 7:25 pm

Geo. wrote:Very early days..the trick will be keeping their feet on the ground as the week to week grind kicks in..Titans is the next test...

I like the way the forwards are running hard from deep and direct with numbers around the ball runner...
Yes agreed. All the talk is of Tedesco today and rightly so, but the forwards have lifted in a big way. Without that we have 2015. Early days is an understatement, but its been years since the team as a whole has clicked like this. Like I said, early days... but damn it was good to watch.

coopy

Post by coopy » Tue 15 Mar, 2016 11:48 pm

I have been a critic (like many of you) regarding JT however he does deserve credit. Very few people are willing to change their ideas let alone put them into practice.

With all due respect, I think JT came to the Wests Tigers with some preconceived ideas about how things should work and tried to implement those strategies. I believe few would argue with the legitimacy of those ideas but many were probably justifiably critical of his implementation.

I still believe JT is fully committed to those original beliefs. What is different is his method in implementating them.

A smart coach will be honest with himself and review his success and failures. The best coaches go further and adapt and are flexible in their approach. They look to implement their culture but in the best way that suits the team.

Two wins certainly doesn't make a season but the manner in which they have been achieved certainly beckons towards a bright future.

weststigers

Post by weststigers » Wed 16 Mar, 2016 12:33 am

The key to both our wins has been intensity in the forwards.

Every hit-up has been at speed which tires their defenders and gives Moses and co. space to move.

It's a simple game-plan and not that different from last year in this regard, but it's taken on another level of speed and intensity and instead of another hit-up on tackles 4 and 5, we find ourselves on halfway so we can spread the ball a bit.

Anyone who's played footy before knows how hard it is to play a team that does everything at speed. Very hard to defend against.

We need to learn how to get a lead and keep it though. We've given up pretty big leads because of either a) too many loose passes or b) too many cheap penalties. Melbourne, Brisbane, Bulldogs and Souths will hammer us if we do that against them.

I dare say Woods is a more positive influence on the team than Farah as a captain. Not saying Robbie isn't passionate, but sometimes passion can present itself in the wrong way. It seems the boys are happier under Woodsy - time will tell.

We will know where we're at after Rd 10. We play Melbourne Rd7, Souths Rd9 and Bulldogs Rd10. If we can knock off 2 of these teams and be on 14 to 16 competition points, we've got a big season on our hands.

WestsSupporter

Post by WestsSupporter » Wed 16 Mar, 2016 5:39 am

At 16-16 I thought that was it. Last two years that was the case. I remember in 2014 there was a game we scored two or three tries in the first ten minutes versus Souths, they slowly leveled the scores up then blew us off the park. Thought it was gonna be that all over.

Can't wait for the rest of the season. So hyped!
Extremely frustrated fan. Try not to let my negativity get to you.

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Wed 16 Mar, 2016 7:29 am

Ben ikin made a good point on 360 on fox sports last night. He said it was important for jt to teach the team a structure that they can fall back on when they come under pressure. Under sheens the team looked to get out of trouble by chancing their hand which didn't prove to be successful.

I liken it to my 4yr university degree. The first year was basic stuff which provided the groundwork for the more enjoyable subjects we studied later. The last 6montgs you were basically left to your own devices to produce a 10,000 word essay on a topic of your choice. First year also weeded out those who weren't going to make it.