THUD

jirskyr
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 110 times

THUD

Unread post by jirskyr » Sat 19 Mar, 2016 11:39 pm

Disrepecting possession and opposition, overplaying our hand. We give Titans the lion's share of 20-40 min possession, overtake them in the tackle count, let in a loose try. Maybe we can regroup for second half.

Nope! 2nd half and we are busted, those extra tackles have hurt and Titans are suddenly finding gaps everywhere. They fail to give us back any cheap ball, we give them back ball, and it's like a burst dam.

We sort of knew this game was coming, we know this type of play is not gone from the team.

Not interested in excuses like short turn-around or that teams like Broncos also got beat. I'm not unhappy we lost, I'm unhappy in the manner in which we lost, the team just went AWOL for 20 minutes.

This team can run in tries apparently with ease; after 10 minutes I was wondering if it was going to be a cakewalk, and the last 5 minutes appeared the same. But when Titans stuck it to us, we fell apart completely.

I am quite wary of now 3 middle-game capitulations in a row, opening up early leads that the opposition swallow up. Warriors and Manly let us get too many points on them, such that we were able to outlast them.

Titans slid well and our execution was off, and 10 points was not enough of a lead when that dip came.

underdog
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by underdog » Sat 19 Mar, 2016 11:52 pm

Gee we looked so silky and stylish in the first 15 minutes, and the last 5 minutes.

Thats what annoys me the most.

Eddie
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Eddie » Sat 19 Mar, 2016 11:59 pm

We were out enthused up front tonight which is not good enough. Each week now we have given up 2 or3 really soft tries.

We didn't want to get down and dirty and win the 1%ers when it got tough.

It was a soft performance. Woods and Lawrence were 2 leaders that were way off tonight. However as you said there were signs in the first 2 weeks that this was coming.

Anyway if they have been reading their press this is a good wake up call. They looked like they packed their jeans before their boots for the trip up there.

Anyway wait and see how they respond next week before we go into familiar meltdown mood.

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Sun 20 Mar, 2016 12:02 am

We have some great players and the ability to score some points. At the same time we just looked like a poorly drilled team. I'm not stating it was the coach's fault because I think it comes down to players executing the right play more often than not and we didn't do that.

The worst out there were Brooks, Woods and maybe Lawrence.

Eddie

Unread post by Eddie » Sun 20 Mar, 2016 12:07 am

Woods was awful tonight. Walking onto the ball, looked like he was not up for it.

Him and Lawrence cold dropped 3 cheap balls between.

I didn't think nessesarily we were trying to be too silky.

We were just out enthused, they wanted to win more tonight, which was dissapointing.

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Sun 20 Mar, 2016 12:10 am

Eddie wrote:Woods was awful tonight. Walking onto the ball, looked like he was not up for it.

Him and Lawrence cold dropped 3 cheap balls between.

I didn't think nessesarily we were trying to be too silky.

We were just out enthused, they wanted to win more tonight, which was dissapointing.
Exactly.

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Sun 20 Mar, 2016 12:11 am

Tedesco was subpar as well. Didn't put his body on the line like he normally does and went missing for long periods.

Defending corner bombs has always been our heel. Tonight we didn't even have a go. Nofo should be worried about keeping his spot for mine. He has played some aweful footy this year.

Tony33

Unread post by Tony33 » Sun 20 Mar, 2016 12:11 am

Alot of money came in for the Titans late. Alot ! Enough to take us from 1.67 favourites to $2 outsiders. About 15 minutes before kick off.

Did someone know something we didn't ? Just saying.

We looked extremely tired and lathargic. Nothing stuck for the middle 50 minutes. Gee we look good when it does stick though.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and put it to a 5 day turn around in humid conditions with an awkwardly late kick off time. Have to bounce back against the Eels if we really are the real deal this season.
2015 - The Year The Dynasty Began...

Eye of the Tiger
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by Eye of the Tiger » Sun 20 Mar, 2016 12:16 am

I am going to put it down to the 5 day turn around and the Heat/humidity on the goldy.

Looked good in the first 15 and then just looked tired.

The real story will be how we turn up next weekend

Eddie

Unread post by Eddie » Sun 20 Mar, 2016 12:23 am

Tony33 wrote:Alot of money came in for the Titans late. Alot ! Enough to take us from 1.67 favourites to $2 outsiders. About 15 minutes before kick off.

Did someone know something we didn't ? Just saying.

Was going to say exactly the same thing.

I thought there must have been some late changes as that is a fair weight of money to move the price that far.

Its like when they back a horse from 6s into an even money shot and it bolts in.

sideline eye
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by sideline eye » Sun 20 Mar, 2016 12:39 am

After about 20 minutes our forwards were running on heavy legs. I think we can put it down to the heat and humidity after a 5 day turnaround and I give them that as an excuse for tonight. When the forwards ran out of steam both our attack and defence naturally fell apart. The thing that needs fixing quickly is our defence in the middle of games because tonight showed that without good defence you can't attack.

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Sun 20 Mar, 2016 12:48 am

Ball control lost that game.
We kept turning over cheap territory and the middle guys gassed out defending the inept play from the backs.
It took over half an hour before we missed a tackle. Once we started missing them we struggled to stop as our workload became too much to handle.

The turnaround and humidity and every other excuse would not have came into play if we controlled the pill. Brooks let us down in this regard as did Woodsys leadership. He ain't a captains backside I'm afraid.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 335 times

Unread post by Geo. » Sun 20 Mar, 2016 12:53 am

They played what was in front of them...trouble was what was in front of them was better on the night...

The lack of energy was a concern and the enthusiasm of the past 2 weeks was largely non existent...nothing that can't be fixed..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

MacDougall
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by MacDougall » Sun 20 Mar, 2016 12:54 am

They were turned inside and were too tired to cover. They needed coffee.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 186 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 20 Mar, 2016 1:01 am

jirskyr wrote:Disrepecting possession and opposition, overplaying our hand. We give Titans the lion's share of 20-40 min possession, overtake them in the tackle count, let in a loose try. Maybe we can regroup for second half.

Nope! 2nd half and we are busted, those extra tackles have hurt and Titans are suddenly finding gaps everywhere. They fail to give us back any cheap ball, we give them back ball, and it's like a burst dam.

We sort of knew this game was coming, we know this type of play is not gone from the team.

Not interested in excuses like short turn-around or that teams like Broncos also got beat. I'm not unhappy we lost, I'm unhappy in the manner in which we lost, the team just went AWOL for 20 minutes.

This team can run in tries apparently with ease; after 10 minutes I was wondering if it was going to be a cakewalk, and the last 5 minutes appeared the same. But when Titans stuck it to us, we fell apart completely.

I am quite wary of now 3 middle-game capitulations in a row, opening up early leads that the opposition swallow up. Warriors and Manly let us get too many points on them, such that we were able to outlast them.

Titans slid well and our execution was off, and 10 points was not enough of a lead when that dip came
Teams will i know now they just have to hold us for 20 mins....
Plan B?

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 48 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 20 Mar, 2016 1:39 am

stryker wrote:Ball control lost that game.
We kept turning over cheap territory and the middle guys gassed out defending the inept play from the backs.
It took over half an hour before we missed a tackle. Once we started missing them we struggled to stop as our workload became too much to handle.

The turnaround and humidity and every other excuse would not have came into play if we controlled the pill. Brooks let us down in this regard as did Woodsys leadership. He ain't a captains backside I'm afraid.
Sorry to say have told you so, they are captainless as far as I am concerned
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

stevied
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by stevied » Sun 20 Mar, 2016 1:52 am

I'm not sure if we were out enthused the whole game. I thought our enthusiasm was excellent in the first 20-30 minutes with some really strong defense a feature but the try just before half time was costly. It was soft and came as a result of repeat sets from the Titans and fatigue. Obviously, poor ball handling kept giving the ball back to the Titans. I don't agree that Brooks was one of our worst as he was good in attack. The same goes for Nofo, who ran powerfully from our end. The worst culprits were Lawrence and Woods whose combined dropsy cost us.
Last edited by stevied on Sun 20 Mar, 2016 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

InBenjiWeTrust
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by InBenjiWeTrust » Sun 20 Mar, 2016 2:02 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
stryker wrote:Ball control lost that game.

Sorry to say have told you so, they are captainless as far as I am concerned
Oh, we had exceptional captains, Farah & Marshall - just to mention Warriors and Parra games a few years back :mrgreen:

Return to “Round 3: Wests Tigers vs Gold Coast Titans”