Re: WESTS Tigers Team V Parramatta

Unread post by InBenjiWeTrust » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 1:44 pm

This persistent optimism and believe in our team is encouraging :D

jirskyr
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 131 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 2:15 pm

tsjonathan wrote:
strrretch wrote:One loss and doom brigade are out and about big time.
You will stand corrected when we lost the next two. Bank on it. I haven't seen enough this year to merit us winning a few in a row apart from against sides that have been patched together for the 2016 season.
How much money are you putting down?

Tigers won me $110 in the first two rounds, and based on last round (Penrith over Broncs, St George over Souths, Raiders-Knights draw), I'm not going to call "bank" on any side right now.

barra
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by barra » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 2:42 pm

We could well get exposed big time this week. Parra is on a roll and playing tough footy right across the park.

I just don't see how we can match them when we have Halatau, Buchanan and Lovett all in the side. They'll all have to have their best game for us to be a chance. Farah might also not be able to play the minutes some will be expecting.

Definitely the least confident I've been so far this season.

fibrodreaming
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by fibrodreaming » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 3:06 pm

barra wrote:We could well get exposed big time this week. Parra is on a roll and playing tough footy right across the park.

I just don't see how we can match them when we have Halatau, Buchanan and Lovett all in the side. They'll all have to have their best game for us to be a chance. Farah might also not be able to play the minutes some will be expecting.

I think our problems go a lot deeper than the abilities of a couple of our fringe players.

We have a problem with attitude. We don’t seem capable, or willing, to get in an arm wrestle with our opponents and defend our lead when momentum turns against us. Look at the second half against the Warriors and a large part of the game against the Titans.

In those cases we were too inclined to play razzle dazzle football and turn the ball over executing low-percentage plays; and then, compounding errors with dumb penalties. We were not prepared to get into the grind with those guys.

It’s not the relative abilities of Buchanan or Lovett that are key for me – it’s attitude. If we can add a hard, calculating edge to our game, then we have a big chance of beating Parra – Buchanan and Lovett notwithstanding.

Chevy
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Chevy » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 3:06 pm

Being a mug punter i will back against our boys, this tactic will ensure a great WT victory...!

Cosimo_Zaretti
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Cosimo_Zaretti » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 3:23 pm

bigsiro wrote:Picking Buchanan again? Are you friggin kidding me?
It would be 1000000% more beneficial to blood others than persist with an already failed experiment. I simply cannot believe it. Does he want to get sacked? Does he want the ire of all of the fans?
No, JT has simply made the decision to carry like for like replacements for his front rowers. The decision has been made that Buchanen is the 4th best prop available so he goes in rather than making a young backrower play out of position. I think there's gotta be a better prop around than Jack Buchanan, but that's what they've gone with.

Chadman's Ghost

Unread post by Chadman's Ghost » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 4:49 pm

fibrodreaming wrote:
barra wrote:We could well get exposed big time this week. Parra is on a roll and playing tough footy right across the park.

I think our problems go a lot deeper than the abilities of a couple of our fringe players.

We have a problem with attitude. We don’t seem capable, or willing, to get in an arm wrestle with our opponents and defend our lead when momentum turns against us. Look at the second half against the Warriors and a large part of the game against the Titans.

In those cases we were too inclined to play razzle dazzle football and turn the ball over executing low-percentage plays; and then, compounding errors with dumb penalties. We were not prepared to get into the grind with those guys.

It’s not the relative abilities of Buchanan or Lovett that are key for me – it’s attitude. If we can add a hard, calculating edge to our game, then we have a big chance of beating Parra – Buchanan and Lovett notwithstanding.
Of course, the Manly game goes completely against your theory. As does coming back to secure the win against the Warriors after they would have lost that game last year..

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 5:55 pm

I don't think attitude has a thing to do with it.

fibrodreaming

Unread post by fibrodreaming » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 6:00 pm

"Of course, the Manly game goes completely against your theory. As does coming back to secure the win against the Warriors after they would have lost that game last year."

Perhaps CG, but to be pedantic, we didn't come back against the Warriors. From memory we were leading 28 - 4, and we hung on to win. I suspect we won because the lead was so great. Not because of any great intestinal fortitude displayed by us.

I seem to recall that Manly put 4 tries on us, 3 of which I would regard as soft. Barret opined in the presser that 4 tries would normally win you a game. It was our attack that won us that game, not our "steely" defence.

And you don't mention the game against the Titans, where our attack continually broke down after the 30 minute mark and we gifted many scoring opportunities to the Titans. Our defence was under such pressure that it began to fell apart. (To be fair to our defence, I think we simply ran out of legs.)

So I don't think the Manly and Warriors games invalidates what I say at all.

fibrodreaming

Unread post by fibrodreaming » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 6:11 pm

stevetiger wrote:I don't think attitude has a thing to do with it.
Seriously? I think it is mostly attitude. Do you recall the try the Titans scored when they turned the ball inside and our defensive wall had a massive (I mean massive) gap in it, which they ran through and scored an easy try. No-one on the inside pushed across in defence. I think that is relevant to attitude (and fatigue).

We have the talent, but I think we lack the mental toughness. But this is something that can be developed (as opposed to talent, which you either have or not).

I'm hoping to see a major turn around against Parra.

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 7:08 pm

fibrodreaming wrote:
stevetiger wrote:I don't think attitude has a thing to do with it.
Seriously? I think it is mostly attitude. Do you recall the try the Titans scored when they turned the ball inside and our defensive wall had a massive (I mean massive) gap in it, which they ran through and scored an easy try. No-one on the inside pushed across in defence. I think that is relevant to attitude (and fatigue).

We have the talent, but I think we lack the mental toughness. But this is something that can be developed (as opposed to talent, which you either have or not).

I'm hoping to see a major turn around against Parra.
I definitely don't think it's attitude. I think every player is busting their gut.

palms
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by palms » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 8:41 pm

I was at the Titans game, and made the observation that we looked flat in the warm-up. The backs came out about 10 minutes before the forwards. In those 10 minutes I saw at least half a dozen balls hit the deck from handling errors, misdirected kicks and complacency. There was no chat and it had the feel of "all we have to do is run out and we'll win this game."
When doing their kicking drills, Moses and Brooks couldn't hit a 50m swimming pool. Balls were falling short of the try line by 10m, and players dropping bombs or balls rolled along the deck. It just looked really bad from where I was sitting.
This to me is all attitude. I've played a somewhat decent level of footy and the attitude you have in the warm-up is the attitude you take out on to the field. I could be over reading the situation but something tells me this is a massive indication that we are nowhere near the top 8 sides yet.

willow
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 84 times

Unread post by willow » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 9:12 pm

This is my worry as well. Farah back is a boost and I think we have the Eels covered in the front row, but it's on the edges where I think we will be caught short. I hope I'm wrong. If we can win the ruck with our solid charges and quick play the balls then that may change the situation, but the Eels were pretty aggressive against the Dogs so I hope we have it within us to match them in that regard.

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Wed 23 Mar, 2016 9:22 pm

palms wrote:I was at the Titans game, and made the observation that we looked flat in the warm-up. The backs came out about 10 minutes before the forwards. In those 10 minutes I saw at least half a dozen balls hit the deck from handling errors, misdirected kicks and complacency. There was no chat and it had the feel of "all we have to do is run out and we'll win this game."
When doing their kicking drills, Moses and Brooks couldn't hit a 50m swimming pool. Balls were falling short of the try line by 10m, and players dropping bombs or balls rolled along the deck. It just looked really bad from where I was sitting.
This to me is all attitude. I've played a somewhat decent level of footy and the attitude you have in the warm-up is the attitude you take out on to the field. I could be over reading the situation but something tells me this is a massive indication that we are nowhere near the top 8 sides yet.
No wonder Robbie had them walking on egg shells at relevant times.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

mightymagpie
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by mightymagpie » Thu 24 Mar, 2016 9:02 am

I think we went into the Titans game thinking we were going to just run through them. Maybe a bit cocky after 2 wins. Hopefully that loss will change their attitude.
We fell apart with too many errors - like Woodsy dropping one cold. Our errors as well as their interchange won them the game.
I too am a bit concerned with our 2nd row and bench. Any chance of a couple of late changes? How's Griffin and Edwards been going in ISP?

tsjonathan
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by tsjonathan » Thu 24 Mar, 2016 9:07 am

jirskyr wrote:
tsjonathan wrote:
You will stand corrected when we lost the next two. Bank on it. I haven't seen enough this year to merit us winning a few in a row apart from against sides that have been patched together for the 2016 season.

Tigers won me $110 in the first two rounds, and based on last round (Penrith over Broncs, St George over Souths, Raiders-Knights draw), I'm not going to call "bank" on any side right now.
I won $2,000 on the tigers against the eagles and lost $250 after cashing out on my $1000 bet on tigers cause I knew tiges would lose. Happy to send u a PM

tsjonathan
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by tsjonathan » Thu 24 Mar, 2016 9:07 am

jirskyr wrote:
tsjonathan wrote:

I won $2,000 on the tigers against the eagles and lost $250 after cashing out on my $1000 bet on tigers agianst the titans because I knew tiges would lose. Happy to send u a PM

supercoach
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 91 times

Unread post by supercoach » Thu 24 Mar, 2016 9:39 am

Really big test for them this week. Even if they loose they can not afford a blowout. They have to win the contest or be very competitive in defeat just to keep the upbeat tempo going. I am very worried about the forwards in particular the back row being able to contain the Eels on the edges in defence and get much momentum going in attack.

Really can not see them getting close but nothing is certain and I do not get it right to often

Return to “Round 4: Wests Tigers vs Parramatta Eels”