Lack of edge forwards

fergiefurr
Member
Member
Posts: 2768
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 15 times

Lack of edge forwards

Unread post by fergiefurr » Mon 28 Mar, 2016 10:18 pm

I know that our attack frustrated everyone today and to me this is one of the biggest reasons why. In Lovett and Halatau we had two of the most ineffective edge forwards in the entire NRL. Neither are going to cause the defence any line break issues.

The halves knew this which forced them to go a lot more side ways as there wasn't a direct hard running threat to allow them to straighten the attack. In turn this played right into parras online sliding defence that lapped it up all arvo.

In round 1 our first two tries were from sironen and Lawrence running hard straight lines off the halves. This then compressed the Warriors defence which allowed us to throw it wide later and cause havoc.

Again this comes back to poor team selection by Taylor. Both Dene and Kyle are good guys who give their all but neither would make 11 or 12 in any other NRL team. Having Aloiai start the game there was a good move but to see him only play 20 mins then not go back there was very frustrating. We get Lawrence back next week which will help but our attack simply can't afford to have these guys plodding up our edges again.


stevetiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5117
Joined: Mon 25 Feb, 2013 7:59 am

Unread post by stevetiger » Mon 28 Mar, 2016 10:20 pm

I thought Lovett was good today. It's the first time I've seen him be effective. I do think we need to be playing better players though. The team selected wasn't bad but it could have been better with someone there other Buchanan and it's probably a good idea to play 2 hookers not 3.

User avatar
cunno
Member
Member
Posts: 4452
Joined: Wed 28 Jul, 2010 7:42 pm

Unread post by cunno » Mon 28 Mar, 2016 10:24 pm

Good point fergiefurr forwards able to penetrate on the edges sadly lacking today amongst other things, whilst the two blokes you refer to try, they don't have the spark especially in attack. In some ways we were lucky to only be beaten by 8.

User avatar
sideline eye
Member
Member
Posts: 829
Joined: Fri 07 Mar, 2014 5:42 pm
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by sideline eye » Mon 28 Mar, 2016 10:28 pm

Lovett was good today; tackled his heart out, ran hard and deserves a spot in firsts albeit from the bench, not as a starter. The notion that he isn't a first grader is nonsense, he will only get better.

Eddie
Member
Member
Posts: 3068
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:05 pm
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by Eddie » Mon 28 Mar, 2016 10:32 pm

Nailed it.

Were doing all these sweep plays because we lack punch on the edges.

Its making us predictable.

Sirro and Lawrence are not the best players int he world however they are a threat and can really run a hole.


southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4243
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:24 pm
Location: Sydney
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by southerntiger » Mon 28 Mar, 2016 10:37 pm

fergiefurr wrote:I know that our attack frustrated everyone today and to me this is one of the biggest reasons why. In Lovett and Halatau we had two of the most ineffective edge forwards in the entire NRL. Neither are going to cause the defence any line break issues.

The halves knew this which forced them to go a lot more side ways as there wasn't a direct hard running threat to allow them to straighten the attack. In turn this played right into parras online sliding defence that lapped it up all arvo.

In round 1 our first two tries were from sironen and Lawrence running hard straight lines off the halves. This then compressed the Warriors defence which allowed us to throw it wide later and cause havoc.

Again this comes back to poor team selection by Taylor. Both Dene and Kyle are good guys who give their all but neither would make 11 or 12 in any other NRL team. Having Aloiai start the game there was a good move but to see him only play 20 mins then not go back there was very frustrating. We get Lawrence back next week which will help but our attack simply can't afford to have these guys plodding up our edges again.
Yep its a big problem, particularly close to the opposition line. We have zero penetration meaning sides can slide inside out without fearing us having a big backrower running against the grain.

fergiefurr
Member
Member
Posts: 2768
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by fergiefurr » Mon 28 Mar, 2016 10:48 pm

sideline eye wrote:Lovett was good today; tackled his heart out, ran hard and deserves a spot in firsts albeit from the bench, not as a starter. The notion that he isn't a first grader is nonsense, he will only get better.
That's the thing, if we want to be a top 8 team we need better players then him consistently in our team. I agree Lovetts ok, he much better then last year but can you imagine what a dogs or Broncos pack will do to us if we have Lovett and Halatau as our edge forwards? It would be similar to what happened to souths on Friday.

When the best thing you can say about a guy is that 'he tackled his heart out' you know deep down he isn't up to it.

Tuiaki Chicken Wings
Member
Member
Posts: 525
Joined: Sun 09 Mar, 2014 7:16 pm

Unread post by Tuiaki Chicken Wings » Mon 28 Mar, 2016 10:52 pm

Lovett and Halatau hardly have any alarm bells ringing for opposition defences. They know they can be handled quite easily one on one. It's amazing that when our two front line edge players are out, we are relying on these two. Halatau has had his day, not an 80min player anymore. Lovett can tackle all he wants, but we need some mongrel out wide. Teddy was contained so easily today because their defence didn't even worry so much about our 11 and 12.

User avatar
sideline eye
Member
Member
Posts: 829
Joined: Fri 07 Mar, 2014 5:42 pm
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by sideline eye » Mon 28 Mar, 2016 11:01 pm

Well, Lovett certainly wasn't dominated by Parra's much vaunted back row, so I doubt that the Dogs or Broncos would dominate him either but I agree we need Lawrence and Sironen out there starting. As for Lovett tackling his heart out, I'm more than happy to be able to say that after our last couple of seasons and I say again, in my opinion he is up to first grade standard.

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5461
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 66 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 28 Mar, 2016 11:33 pm

sideline eye wrote:Well, Lovett certainly wasn't dominated by Parra's much vaunted back row, so I doubt that the Dogs or Broncos would dominate him either but I agree we need Lawrence and Sironen out there starting. As for Lovett tackling his heart out, I'm more than happy to be able to say that after our last couple of seasons and I say again, in my opinion he is up to first grade standard.
Playing ok once or twice in a season doesn't make a first grade forward. It's been said hereoften that Lovett wouldn't make any other first grade side in the NRL.and I think that's true.Might be a nice bloke and all that. But if we don't have a better player than him to put into first grade, then we have a big problem in the team.

There was a lot of talk early that we had good depth this year. Well unless there is some in the group that Taylor doesn't seem too want to pick, then that talk is way off. That

ricksen
Member
Member
Posts: 1822
Joined: Fri 17 Jul, 2015 9:10 pm
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by ricksen » Mon 28 Mar, 2016 11:38 pm

I just don't think Lovett is an edge player. He's solid enough in the middle, and I'd only consider him playing there.

TYGA
Member
Member
Posts: 1579
Joined: Sat 23 May, 2015 11:17 pm
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 50 times

Unread post by TYGA » Mon 28 Mar, 2016 11:47 pm

We have to recruit. I said it a while ago I would be getting the cheque book out for Ethan Lowe from the Cowboys who is a former Roosters junior.

User avatar
Harvey
Member
Member
Posts: 2590
Joined: Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:01 pm
Location: Leumeah
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 84 times

Unread post by Harvey » Mon 28 Mar, 2016 11:51 pm

Halatau started at dummy half. Losing Grant killed us

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 4895
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 133 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Mon 28 Mar, 2016 11:52 pm

I agree with OP totally. Problem is we are missing our two first choice backrowers, which any club struggles to cover.

Look at Friday's game. Take out Lowe + Cooper and Cowboys have to put in Bolton and Asiata. Take out Glenn + Gillett and Broncs have Ofahengaue and Thaiday.

I just wish he'd give MCK a run, so at least we can see the guy play and not die wondering.

Post Reply

Return to “Round 4: Wests Tigers vs Parramatta Eels”