Wests Tigers Team v Cronulla

Balmain Boy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2695
Joined: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 7:22 pm
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 27 times

Re: Wests Tigers Team v Cronulla

Unread post by Balmain Boy » Wed 30 Mar, 2016 10:46 am

barra wrote:
Snake wrote:
sideline eye wrote:The reason Lovett keeps getting chosen is that he is a very good defender. He made 42 tackles yesterday. On that basis alone, why would he be dropped? He also carried the ball strongly and was not overshadowed by the Parramatta pack.
I have no problem with Lovett off the bench all teams need a couple of no flash workers ,Halatau should be know where near hooker he is pretty much past it these days ,Buchanan will not add to what has already been said cannot understand why he was not given a second tier contract and only used in desperation.
If Talyor does not get this right in the coming weeks it will start imploding for him.
Agree Snake!

Lovett off the bench is okay - it just becomes not okay when there is also Buchanan and Dene and Cherry in the team. We can't carry all of them.

Trouble is there is no way Taylor will blood more than one newcomer, even if Grant isn't passed. And not playing any of these players may come back to bite him if there are more injuries and he is forced to blood more than one or two at once.
Pretty much. We can't carry Lovett, Halatau and Buchanan. All offer absolutely nothing in attack. Can't bend the line and make metres, can't offload, can't get quick play the balls, nor break the line. Yes the defence for all 3 is ok, but you can't carry 3 of these types of players. Why couldn't we break the line against Parra? Because we didn't have players who could break the line, and if not at least run decoys, angled lines. These guys don't do any of that, so they're all fighting for one bench spot for mine.

Edwards and MCK are all in the top 25, so no issues there. MCK is equal to if not better than all of the above 3 in defence, and far superior in attack. Edwards is superior in defence to the above 3, and equal or better than them in attack. Both are at the very least fit enough for a bench spot.

Blind favouritism will see this club in the bottom 3.


User avatar
Love the WestsTigers
Member
Member
Posts: 3101
Joined: Wed 21 Jul, 2010 12:03 pm
Location: Ex Ctown Resident Now Qlander
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by Love the WestsTigers » Wed 30 Mar, 2016 11:15 am

Tigers Board should make room for one more
A www.weststigersforum.com representative so our voices can be heard.
Most of us can see selection issues bar those in charge.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 36263
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 68 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Wed 30 Mar, 2016 11:18 am

You would think that after another game in NSW Cup that Edwards should be right for NRL if form is good enough

ricksen
Member
Member
Posts: 1822
Joined: Fri 17 Jul, 2015 9:10 pm
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by ricksen » Wed 30 Mar, 2016 11:53 am

re: TT's post, he said that Chee Kam and Edwards are in the top 25, though Griffin is not.
That said, Griffin was 18th man last weekend, and Edwards warmed up on match day as well, so they're seemingly next in line.

I don't mind Lovett off the bench tbh, as there are no standout better options. As long as he's not playing massive minutes he does a good job in defence, despite no impact with ball in hand.
Buchanan should be nowhere near first grade.
As mentioned earlier, 90% of teams that play on Monday will just name the same team on Tuesday and make changes through the week, hopefully we do the same. Chee Kam should be getting a run somewhere, I'd let Cherrington play 80 mins in NSW Cup for a few weeks etc.

User avatar
sideline eye
Member
Member
Posts: 827
Joined: Fri 07 Mar, 2014 5:42 pm
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by sideline eye » Wed 30 Mar, 2016 4:34 pm

Lovett doesn't deserve to be singled out for not making an impact with the ball. Who did make an impact in attack? In my opinion he was strong all day carrying the ball but as with everyone else couldn't break the line.


User avatar
CocaCola
Member
Member
Posts: 456
Joined: Wed 23 Feb, 2011 3:06 pm
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by CocaCola » Wed 30 Mar, 2016 6:18 pm

Lovett not receiving suspension is the punishment handed down to the club.

stevetiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5117
Joined: Mon 25 Feb, 2013 7:59 am

Unread post by stevetiger » Wed 30 Mar, 2016 6:40 pm

sideline eye wrote:Lovett doesn't deserve to be singled out for not making an impact with the ball. Who did make an impact in attack? In my opinion he was strong all day carrying the ball but as with everyone else couldn't break the line.
I agree. I thought that was Lovett's best ever game. I also thought he was pretty good.

User avatar
Black'n'White
Member
Member
Posts: 1864
Joined: Sat 02 Mar, 2013 6:52 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by Black'n'White » Wed 30 Mar, 2016 6:47 pm

stevetiger wrote:
sideline eye wrote:Lovett doesn't deserve to be singled out for not making an impact with the ball. Who did make an impact in attack? In my opinion he was strong all day carrying the ball but as with everyone else couldn't break the line.
I agree. I thought that was Lovett's best ever game. I also thought he was pretty good.
Im not a Lovett fan, yet watch him closely to try understand the hate, and to be fair he had a game that many would applaude Lawrence for. I doubt he will ever be a superstar, but unless you put him in the centres, he will neither cost you a game nor win you one. Odd compliment, though it is what it is.

stevetiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5117
Joined: Mon 25 Feb, 2013 7:59 am

Unread post by stevetiger » Wed 30 Mar, 2016 6:56 pm

Black'n'White wrote:
stevetiger wrote:
sideline eye wrote:Lovett doesn't deserve to be singled out for not making an impact with the ball. Who did make an impact in attack? In my opinion he was strong all day carrying the ball but as with everyone else couldn't break the line.
I agree. I thought that was Lovett's best ever game. I also thought he was pretty good.
Im not a Lovett fan, yet watch him closely to try understand the hate, and to be fair he had a game that many would applaude Lawrence for. I doubt he will ever be a superstar, but unless you put him in the centres, he will neither cost you a game nor win you one. Odd compliment, though it is what it is.
He hasn't offered much but against Parra he was good. He kept working and made some good runs with the ball. Maybe he can become a solid first grader.

Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 2397
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm
Been liked: 58 times

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Wed 30 Mar, 2016 8:09 pm

You have to appreciate the irony of a five eighth on the wing whom we purchased from the UK when we could've played our very own talented young five eighth on the wing yet apparently couldn't retain even though we had an option.

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5452
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Wed 30 Mar, 2016 8:26 pm

CocaCola wrote:Lovett not receiving suspension is the punishment handed down to the club.
:roll

everett
Member
Member
Posts: 1718
Joined: Fri 12 Mar, 2010 11:01 pm
Location: Kings Langley

Unread post by everett » Wed 30 Mar, 2016 8:42 pm

Can live with Lovett on the bench but Buchanan, Halatua and Rankin need to go.

Abdo-Carr, Edwards and MCK in my opinions should be in our top 17.

Would like bench to be Ava, Sue, Lovett and MKC.

Aloiai, Lawrence and Edwards would be my back row.
Living the dream and praying for another premiership

tig_prmz
Member
Member
Posts: 7911
Joined: Sat 03 Oct, 2009 10:32 pm
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by tig_prmz » Wed 30 Mar, 2016 11:39 pm

so the one of the change most people want is for buchanan/lovett to be dropped from 17th/18th man to be replaces by MCK? i dont think our last interchange or 18th man is any reason why we have lost 2 in a row.

as for rankin, JAC is overshadowing him in the state cup but JT made the decision before the start of the year looking at how they both trained and chose rankin. he has carried the ball strongly, done whatever is asked of him and does not deserve to be dropped. again, NOT our main problem

our spine is intact. our prop rotation is perfect. backline is near perfect. maybe a couple of changes on the bench.

team shifts have come a long way from the tim sheens era.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 2397
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm
Been liked: 58 times

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Thu 31 Mar, 2016 6:32 am

everett wrote:Can live with Lovett on the bench but Buchanan, Halatua and Rankin need to go.

Abdo-Carr, Edwards and MCK in my opinions should be in our top 17.

Would like bench to be Ava, Sue, Lovett and MKC.

Aloiai, Lawrence and Edwards would be my back row.
Rankin is a nothing buy. We should have retained Te Maire Martin and played him on the wing.

Nelson
Member
Member
Posts: 2529
Joined: Sat 31 Oct, 2015 11:17 am
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Nelson » Thu 31 Mar, 2016 7:34 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:
everett wrote:Can live with Lovett on the bench but Buchanan, Halatua and Rankin need to go.

Abdo-Carr, Edwards and MCK in my opinions should be in our top 17.

Would like bench to be Ava, Sue, Lovett and MKC.

Aloiai, Lawrence and Edwards would be my back row.
Rankin is a nothing buy. We should have retained Te Maire Martin and played him on the wing.
Rankin hasn't been particularly effective on the wing but I doubt that was why he was purchased. I imagine he is there for depth/pressure on the halves and fullback. It's probably his experience at fullback that made him a candidate for a wing spot.

No first grade coach would have selected Martin on the wing...

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5452
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Thu 31 Mar, 2016 7:40 am

Nelson wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:
everett wrote:Can live with Lovett on the bench but Buchanan, Halatua and Rankin need to go.

Abdo-Carr, Edwards and MCK in my opinions should be in our top 17.

Would like bench to be Ava, Sue, Lovett and MKC.

Aloiai, Lawrence and Edwards would be my back row.
Rankin is a nothing buy. We should have retained Te Maire Martin and played him on the wing.
Rankin hasn't been particularly effective on the wing but I doubt that was why he was purchased. I imagine he is there for depth/pressure on the halves and fullback. It's probably his experience at fullback that made him a candidate for a wing spot.

No first grade coach would have selected Martin on the wing...
Shouldn't the fact that he's no good at it , result in someone else being tried

Nelson
Member
Member
Posts: 2529
Joined: Sat 31 Oct, 2015 11:17 am
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Nelson » Thu 31 Mar, 2016 7:45 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Shouldn't the fact that he's no good at it , result in someone else being tried
I don't disagree that we should try someone like JAC, although I think "no good at it" is probably a bit of a harsh assessment of Rankin. He hasn't done a lot wrong, he just doesn't add anything special out there.

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5452
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Thu 31 Mar, 2016 7:50 am

tig_prmz wrote:so the one of the change most people want is for buchanan/lovett to be dropped from 17th/18th man to be replaces by MCK? i dont think our last interchange or 18th man is any reason why we have lost 2 in a row.

as for rankin, JAC is overshadowing him in the state cup but JT made the decision before the start of the year looking at how they both trained and chose rankin. he has carried the ball strongly, done whatever is asked of him and does not deserve to be dropped. again, NOT our main problem

our spine is intact. our prop rotation is perfect. backline is near perfect. maybe a couple of changes on the bench.

team shifts have come a long way from the tim sheens era.
Perfect........?????????
I must be living in a parallel universe
When Teddy threw that pass to a non existing winger, Rankin was a mile in front of him, not sure what he was doing, and neither was he.
Just because Taylor stuffed up by putting him on the wing in round 1, doesn't mean that he can't be dropped.
Oh wait.....that's right . Taylor doesn't have a great record of admitting that he was wrong ....does he

Post Reply

Return to “Round 5: Wests Tigers vs Cronulla Sharks”