Luke Brooks

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 78 times

Re: Luke Brooks

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Mon 04 Apr, 2016 8:09 am

happy tiger wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:Yes he is Happy... He will be a solid NRL Halfback, the type to play 300 games.

He is well composed. He doesnt panic and while he doesnt set the world on fire, he is dangerous when given options.

Once he gets a dummy half that works for him, we will see a better Luke Brooks!
Do you mean Ballin Rd 8 ??

He's already had about half a dozen options :lol:
No not Ballin, and possibly not this year.

As he matures, he will take charge and his 9 will do as he tells them.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Tiger Watto

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Mon 04 Apr, 2016 8:10 am

supercoach wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:Agree with Boonboon.

Talking about one-on-one misses for a halfback is crazy. If he is getting isolated, it's the blokes inside and outside him who have failed.

Luke biggest problem is learning when to take the settler or reset. He doesn't look like he is controlling the team a great deal, and needs to be more vocal.

He ain't the problem... He is the solution if given the right protection and respect!
The problem is he missing the majority of his tackles when he is asked to defend two in rather than in the middle. I know taylor is trying to protect him from the monsters and try and preserve some of his energy for his attacking game, but he is a terrible defender out wide and a reasonable defender in close. Anyway the bottom line you have to keep with him because he is going to get a lot better, but you have to be a bit smarter in how you use him
I agree, he needs to defend tighter
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Russell
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 126 times

Unread post by Russell » Mon 04 Apr, 2016 8:13 am

TYGA wrote:Patience. To quote the sheenius you are not a first grade player until you have 50 FG games under your belt.

Brooks has 45 first grade games, Mitchell Moses 34.In Comparison Teddy has 52 but also sat out a full season which, in hindsight may have helped him. We also have Nofo 40, Simona 58, Sue 58 , Siro 57 games, Naiqama 47 games. Out of this group the one that looks like he may not be a first grader is siro but he has had bad luck with injury.

This is another reason players like Grant 143Games, Woods 105, farah 238, Halatau 226 games and Lawrence 172 games have to lead and play well.

We are either too young or too old and the next step looks like bringing in Cherrington if Farah goes to England at the end of the year. We need to move on a few older players this year and sign players with 3-6 seasons experience to help.

Not retaining these two and Tedesco would be the dumbest thing I could think of. We let too many players walk to not be able to retain our own players.
Agree with most of what you say TYGA, however I think IF Farah is not there next year it should be Ballin with Manaia as the back up and then he takes the reins in 2018.

happy tiger
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 04 Apr, 2016 10:53 am

Tiger Watto wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:Yes he is Happy... He will be a solid NRL Halfback, the type to play 300 games.

He is well composed. He doesnt panic and while he doesnt set the world on fire, he is dangerous when given options.

Do you mean Ballin Rd 8 ??

He's already had about half a dozen options :lol:
No not Ballin, and possibly not this year.

As he matures, he will take charge and his 9 will do as he tells them.
So your saying that Halatau and Cherrington don't listen to Brooks

Says more about Brooks than it does Halatau or Cherrington

Your an old half , you tell me what you would have done if the hooker or the forwards weren't listening or getting you in the field position you wanted ?? :evil:

Ah sorry , you played for Easts , you would of chucked a temper tanty and sucked your thumb in the middle of the dressing room floor until Mum came and got you :lol:

cktiger
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by cktiger » Mon 04 Apr, 2016 12:04 pm

Farah let him call the shots the entire time he was on the field.
Didn't notice any difference from him this year with Halatau or Cherrington at dummy half.
I like the kid but he seems to be lacking something lately - maybe confidence?
As someone said previously compare him to a young guy like Ash Taylor who just walks in and takes over the team.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 04 Apr, 2016 12:51 pm

Watto so what your saying is the current NSW hooker , a former NZ hooker , a former Qld hooker and the past NZ Junior Kiwi hooker don't work for him

So we need to get Cameron Smith ?? Great news Fade to Black :lol:

Harvey
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 84 times

Unread post by Harvey » Mon 04 Apr, 2016 1:06 pm

He missed a lot of the pre-season games as they were looking for a round 1 combination (as he would be suspended). Since round 2, he has played with 3 different dummy halves.

Tiger Watto

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Mon 04 Apr, 2016 2:16 pm

You are missing my point HT... he isnt experienced enough to get the respect he needs just yet.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 04 Apr, 2016 2:29 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:You are missing my point HT... he isnt experienced enough to get the respect he needs just yet.
No I'm not Watto

So then we go to video sessions , Taylor asks Brooks why he didn't call for the ball in a particular part of the game and Brooks says he did

Then Taylor asks why Halatau /Farah /Cherrington / whoever was at dummy half why he didn't get the ball to Brooks and why his ass will be sitting on the bench next time the next dummy half ignores the chief playmaker

So in effect you are now blaming Taylor , not our multitudes of hookers or Brooks

Harvey
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 84 times

Unread post by Harvey » Mon 04 Apr, 2016 2:42 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:You are missing my point HT... he isnt experienced enough to get the respect he needs just yet.
No I'm not Watto

So then we go to video sessions , Taylor asks Brooks why he didn't call for the ball in a particular part of the game and Brooks says he did

Then Taylor asks why Halatau /Farah /Cherrington / whoever was at dummy half why he didn't get the ball to Brooks and why his ass will be sitting on the bench next time the next dummy half ignores the chief playmaker

So in effect you are now blaming Taylor , not our multitudes of hookers or Brooks
Or when the NSW SOO hooker, former NZ test hooker, or former NZ junior hooker look back at him across the room he chooses to shut up. Or he speaks up, the hooker ends up in reserve grade, there is a media storm, within a month the coach is sacked, a new coach comes in the hooker comes back to 1st grade, does he speak up next time?

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 04 Apr, 2016 2:59 pm

Harvey wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
No I'm not Watto

Or when the NSW SOO hooker, former NZ test hooker, or former NZ junior hooker look back at him across the room he chooses to shut up. Or he speaks up, the hooker ends up in reserve grade, there is a media storm, within a month the coach is sacked, a new coach comes in the hooker comes back to 1st grade, does he speak up next time?
My other point would be getting a side round the park doesn't change

Just the size of the egos change

If he can't do it by now he'll never learn and Watto knows that

cktiger
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by cktiger » Mon 04 Apr, 2016 3:48 pm

I'd bet that if Moses was calling the shots he would make sure he got the ball when he wanted it.

Tiger Watto

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Mon 04 Apr, 2016 5:29 pm

cktiger wrote:I'd bet that if Moses was calling the shots he would make sure he got the ball when he wanted it.
Thats because Mitchell has always got what he wanted.

These boys are two different personalities.

One will play alot of Rep Footy early, the other will play 300 games.

Sounds like a good balance to me!

greatodensraven
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by greatodensraven » Mon 04 Apr, 2016 7:38 pm

Not taking the piss but have any HBs dominated at the age of 21?

I think everyone has raised a valid point about Brooks. Yes he is about to play his 50th game (gees hasn't time flown by) & probably should be more consistent by now but he has only just turned 21. Given the achievement per age comparisons with today's dominant 1/2s as mentioned previously he certainly is ahead in his progress. And considering he has done this behind a consistently beaten pack further emphasises this.

However he seems still to want to score off every play, ie. he has a great "highlights" package but hasn't learnt the basics of just running the team around the park. Maybe that was the reason for "taylor-ball" last year. He seems to be developing the wrong way around if that makes sense.

I really want to see him reach his potential as a Tiger but just can't understand why he lacks the confidence/ability to implement a strong kicking game, close out matches, take good 5th tackle options more consistently, etc. After watching his trial form I really thought he'd be in a lot more control. He was playing with composure (even when we were chasing points) & just seemed to have all the time in the world. I know that's trial form but more often than not he came on in the 2nd half when our starting spine were off.

I'm no expert but I hope we persist with him & he re-signs with us. When he clicks I hope it's in combination with Moses & Teddy, not some other team.

Fumbles

Unread post by Fumbles » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 11:15 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:
cktiger wrote:I'd bet that if Moses was calling the shots he would make sure he got the ball when he wanted it.
Thats because Mitchell has always got what he wanted.

These boys are two different personalities.

One will play alot of Rep Footy early, the other will play 300 games.

Sounds like a good balance to me!
They might have different personalities but they both have one similar trait, they are both average.
I have seen nothing to suggest either player will play 300 games
Two obviously very average players talked up like they are superstars and management once again being fooled into paying way overs. Then we have have the other overpaids from previous management Farah and Lawrence who we can't get rid of.

Return to “Round 5: Wests Tigers vs Cronulla Sharks”