Luke Brooks

tiga4eva

Re: Luke Brooks

Post by tiga4eva » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 1:54 pm

Disregard the miss on Gallen, not many 7s would've stopped him. It's the arm grabbing for the other 79mins that's the concern. He was spotted by the opposition and exposed as a weak link, and more importantly his attacking options have been ordinary.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 2:04 pm

Rugby league players have a very limited timeframe to earn their income. 500k at 10 years is only $5m. It is the equivalent of earning $100k per year for 50 years. At what point does holding out for more money and putting this ahead of loyalty, friendship etc become simple greed?

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 2:05 pm

i dont think he was that bad. we need him to do more kicking. he's the best kicker out there and we (farah) always seem to go to moses coz he favours his left to right pass.

there was one kick he did in the corner with amazing chase which was absolutely perfect.

definitely agree though that he needs to improve and do a lot more to retain his place week in week out.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 2:15 pm

Pokies wrote:
Geo. wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:Just watched a lowlight of Gallen scoring. Gallen running at an isolated Brooks who took him low but the question is where is the forward on the left responsible for assisting Brooks? Lawrence? Funny how Brooks cops it but others escape criticism.
Lawrence was on the bench at the time....Kyle has not escaped...
Wrong. Check out the video at 2.45. Seems like number 11 came dawdling out of the line and took no one while Brooks was left isolated.

http://m.nrl.com/rd-5-wests-tigers-v-sh ... fault.aspx
Our more experience players really need to aim up. Leaving your halfback isolated near the try line is not a particularly wise thing to do especially against the Sharks. Before criticising young Brooks, we need to consider whether we are surrounding our halves with the best possible players for the money being spent on them.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 2:33 pm

Harvey wrote:I think brooks is getting a bit of a hard time. He is putting his body on the line in defence. I am not not sure why Moses is being given so much more credit. Both have had ordinary kicking games, neither has been taking the line on, and the majority of our tries have generally come through feeding the ball to Tedesco or the runner outside him (with Teddy as decoy). In saying this I do not want either to go, but do not think that they are 600k per season footballers.
I agree. I think Moses looks the better player but he isn't standing out. Neither player is worth the 600k at this point in their careers.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 2:43 pm

Having that figure bandied around is probably not doing anything for their game either. The constant pressure of being scrutinised by how much you are being paid at their age has got to be in their head space regardless of what they say. Its like a double edged sword the money is great if you can get it - but doubt it is helping their career develop on the field.
The age of player managers very much doubt without managers these lads would be demanding or expecting anything like that at this stage.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 2:47 pm

Telltails wrote:Having that figure bandied around is probably not doing anything for their game either. The constant pressure of being scrutinised by how much you are being paid at their age has got to be in their head space regardless of what they say. Its like a double edged sword the money is great if you can get it - but doubt it is helping their career develop on the field.
The age of player managers very much doubt without managers these lads would be demanding or expecting anything like that at this stage.
How are they going to go if they leave, where it will be fairly obvious that they are on 600k+ and the fans from that club know it? There will be pressure to perform then, especially if the club has to lose players to accomodate them.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 3:03 pm

Harvey wrote:
Telltails wrote:Having that figure bandied around is probably not doing anything for their game either. The constant pressure of being scrutinised by how much you are being paid at their age has got to be in their head space regardless of what they say. Its like a double edged sword the money is great if you can get it - but doubt it is helping their career develop on the field.
How are they going to go if they leave, where it will be fairly obvious that they are on 600k+ and the fans from that club know it? There will be pressure to perform then, especially if the club has to lose players to accomodate them.
Of course - simply making the point that some of the younger talented players these days are having their value inflated by managers and not sure that it is doing them any favours in terms of their form on the field, regardless of who they are playing for.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 3:08 pm

I do not care if they are one 110 bucks a win or 600 grand a year, the point is Brooks has a really lot of trouble defending in space. He is okay in a narrow corridor but defend him out wide and he has no idea, and I guess he has spent most of his life defending near the ruck. So Taylor has two choices, drop him or stop defending him out wide, it just is not working.

As for his long term prospects, could go either way, but if a goal kicking no7 came on the market who once played in the Balmain juniors I would have a real dash at him

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 5:28 pm

I think everyone needs to give the guy some more time. It's only been 3 years. :shock:

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 5:53 pm

Harvey wrote:Rugby league players have a very limited timeframe to earn their income. 500k at 10 years is only $5m. It is the equivalent of earning $100k per year for 50 years. At what point does holding out for more money and putting this ahead of loyalty, friendship etc become simple greed?
I dunno about greed bit once they retire from footy they can still get a job in another industry. Most people have multiple career paths.

Chevy

Post by Chevy » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 6:04 pm

wd in perth wrote:I think everyone needs to give the guy some more time. It's only been 3 years. :shock:
Maybe he is a slow learner... :lol:

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 6:13 pm

Bengal Tiger wrote:
king sirro wrote:Sometimes there's halfbacks who float in and out of first grade at the begginning of there careers before establishing themselves, halves like Thurston, Pearce and Prince (although injury played a part with prince), maybe Brooks is one of those. Thing is, if we do give him a spell in state cup he would almost certainly leave. It's a tough call.
If he leaves so be it! Just goes to show his heart is in it for the money, he could cop it on the chin and prove to his coach and critics they are wrong. But JT don't have the b*lls... dont want to upset the little boys club.
These boys need a taste of reality, your always replaceable, this applies to all of the team.
Ken oath!
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

tigermac88

Post by tigermac88 » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 6:26 pm

tiga4eva wrote:Disregard the miss on Gallen, not many 7s would've stopped him. It's the arm grabbing for the other 79mins that's the concern. He was spotted by the opposition and exposed as a weak link, and more importantly his attacking options have been ordinary.
That's exactly my issue with his defence yesterday wayyyy too much arm and jersey grabbing for my like especially after he has proven he can hit and stick when he uses his shoulder

LCA

Post by LCA » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 6:32 pm

Sit him down and ask if he wants a release. If so, then let him have it. Then throw everything we can at Lachlan Coote to play 6 and move Moses to 7.

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 6:51 pm

Chevy wrote:
wd in perth wrote:I think everyone needs to give the guy some more time. It's only been 3 years. :shock:
Maybe he is a slow learner... :lol:
Quicker the D.C.E who still hadn't made his debut in NRL and was playing QLD cup at the same stage.

Or Ben Hunt who had played 22 games for 5 try assists (Brooks 45 games - 30 try assists)
Even Keiran Foran who was a start out star had only played 32 games - 17 try assists) at same age
Aidan Sezer - 18 games / 9 try assists when 6 months older then Brooks is now
Cooper Cronk - 13 games with 3 try assists

Those are just a sample which shows that Luke Brooks playing with a weak football team is still doing amazing things for a player his age, not just playing FG but compared to other players his age who have gone onto great things he is still out performing

I am concerned with some of his play but I see not just the potential but the fact that he is achieving great results.

I started looking at this thinking I was going to say Brooks might go but the more I compare him and his age and the fact he is behind a pack we all admit isn't the greatest with another junior half next to him is nothing but impressive.

iofthetigers

Post by iofthetigers » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 7:06 pm

Well said Boonboon, in rugby league the market determines what a player is worth & I am sure plenty of clubs would be chasing him & I am sure that any new coach at the Tigers would have him as part of their plans.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 7:41 pm

Agree with Boonboon.

Talking about one-on-one misses for a halfback is crazy. If he is getting isolated, it's the blokes inside and outside him who have failed.

Luke biggest problem is learning when to take the settler or reset. He doesn't look like he is controlling the team a great deal, and needs to be more vocal.

He ain't the problem... He is the solution if given the right protection and respect!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017