Changes need to be made

Harvey

Changes need to be made

Post by Harvey » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 7:55 pm

I have previously defended him, but Rankin needs to go. His defence is solid, but shows little on hit-ups and kick returns and has now been caught out of position when attacking a number of times. Would look at JAC, MCK or Peninsula with a possible backline shift to accomodate.
Our bench is completely ineffective with Ava, Aloiai, Lovett and Cherrington all offering little in the game time they are getting. I would use Halatau as the back up hooker and would find room on the bench for Griffin, MCK and Edwards.

liltiger

Post by liltiger » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 8:02 pm

Harvey wrote:I have previously defended him, but Rankin needs to go. His defence is solid, but shows little on hit-ups and kick returns and has now been caught out of position when attacking a number of times. Would look at JAC, MCK or Peninsula with a possible backline shift to accomodate.
Our bench is completely ineffective with Ava, Aloiai, Lovett and Cherrington all offering little in the game time they are getting. I would use Halatau as the back up hooker and would find room on the bench for Griffin, MCK and Edwards.
We need to start with Taylor then buy a real coach not a budget reject so we can save money hopefully then Lovett and Buchanan will follow him out the door honestly Taylor is the only clown who would give those two a regular first grade run

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 8:09 pm

liltiger wrote:
Harvey wrote:I have previously defended him, but Rankin needs to go. His defence is solid, but shows little on hit-ups and kick returns and has now been caught out of position when attacking a number of times. Would look at JAC, MCK or Peninsula with a possible backline shift to accomodate.
We need to start with Taylor then buy a real coach not a budget reject so we can save money hopefully then Lovett and Buchanan will follow him out the door honestly Taylor is the only clown who would give those two a regular first grade run
as mentioned in another post - DID TAYLOR miss the tackles, give away the penalties, drop the balls giving away possession and miss the attempted goals? If your answer is NO - give yourself an uppercut.

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 8:13 pm

You obviously didn't see the NSW cup game today because most of them were rubbish

tigermac88

Post by tigermac88 » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 8:15 pm

After the first 2 games I thought Lovett was on the improve... Nope I was wrong!!! He's still a flog and should never be near a 1st grade jersey

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 8:15 pm

I can see this team doing great things in the 2nd half of the year, so with that i dont think we need to panic. However its hard to agrue against any of your changes.

Seems pretty obvious that at least 2 simple changes will improve us. Edwards for Lovett and JAC for Rankin.

The hooking situation is interesting. I must admit i thought during today's game thaat i wouldnt take Farah off. So are we wasting a bench spot on Cherro?

For now i would just make the 2 changes. Edwards and JAC
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 8:23 pm

Ava was one of our best last week and is a consistent performer, and I thought Aloiai was strong today, though he does have a few soft errors in him (reminds me a lot of Fifita). I think a simple swap of Lovett for Edwards would provide us with a lot more defensive starch and go forward, and I wouldn't be completely opposed to rotating MCK with Aloiai to work on his motor/ball control.
I don't have an issue with Cherrington on the bench, I just think we need to be smarter in the way we use him. Play Farah for the first 25-30, then bring Cherrington on for the next 30 or so before bringing Farah back on, rather than throwing him in to let him try to establish himself in the last 20.
Never thought I'd be saying this but Farah's composure was missed at times, his service from dummy half is ordinary but his kicking and running from dummy half is often assured and benefits the team in more ways than one.

ferret

Post by ferret » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 8:25 pm

:!: we'll need to be on our guard re JAC i hear bellyache likes him!

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 8:30 pm

Not if he saw him today he wouldn't. Defence is poor, ball handling rubbish, but he is quick so that should make him a fg player

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 8:30 pm

VanillaThunder wrote:
Ava was one of our best last week and is a consistent performer, and I thought Aloiai was strong today, though he does have a few soft errors in him (reminds me a lot of Fifita). I think a simple swap of Lovett for Edwards would provide us with a lot more defensive starch and go forward, and I wouldn't be completely opposed to rotating MCK with Aloiai to work on his motor/ball control.
I don't have an issue with Cherrington on the bench, I just think we need to be smarter in the way we use him. Play Farah for the first 25-30, then bring Cherrington on for the next 30 or so before bringing Farah back on, rather than throwing him in to let him try to establish himself in the last 20.
Never thought I'd be saying this but Farah's composure was missed at times, his service from dummy half is ordinary but his kicking and running from dummy half is often assured and benefits the team in more ways than one.
Farah is running when we have the opposition going backwards. In the 1st couple of rounds, this is when The ball was being swung and the centres and backrowers were creating havoc out wide. I think he needs to play for the team more than himself.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 8:31 pm

king sirro wrote:
I can see this team doing great things in the 2nd half of the year, so with that i dont think we need to panic. However its hard to agrue against any of your changes.

Seems pretty obvious that at least 2 simple changes will improve us. Edwards for Lovett and JAC for Rankin.

The hooking situation is interesting. I must admit i thought during today's game thaat i wouldnt take Farah off. So are we wasting a bench spot on Cherro?

For now i would just make the 2 changes. Edwards and JAC
This is exactly how I see it. Just make some small changes. I'm not sold on Edwards but I think you have to drop Lovett for the moment. I thought Lovett was real good against Parra but we needed some strong runs out there today and he doesn't seem to have that leg drive in him.

Rankin isn't bad but I think you need to pick the best possible player or the player more likely to win you the game. JAC fits the bill here.

I also thought Robbie should have stayed out there. Cherrington can add some zip to the team though but maybe that was the wrong game for him. We needed some solid plays and Robbie is better at that at the moment.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 8:39 pm

We're stuffed. We needed a great start to smother the farah/ taylor crap.
It hasn't happened. All the old rubbish will re surface.
Nice work Pascoe, the 'lets see how things work out' has backfired.
I guess you'll pass it on to buckets now.

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 8:47 pm

Harvey wrote: Farah is running when we have the opposition going backwards. In the 1st couple of rounds, this is when The ball was being swung and the centres and backrowers were creating havoc out wide. I think he needs to play for the team more than himself.
I disagree. Looking at when our set pieces come off it's on the back of strong, straight runs from the forwards earning us the right to be expansive. We struggled tonight and against Parra by trying to throw the ball around to get ourselves out of trouble, at least Farah has the inclination to keep the attack going towards the try line (and as long as he gets rid of that dinky run at the offside marker that never gets called, I don't mind this at all). There's no doubt we've got class on the edges, but we've got an underrated pack and inexperienced halves, I think we need to put more onus, emphasis, credit or whatever you want to call it on our bigs winning us the game rather than shouldering it on Teddy and the like. I'm not talking straight back to 2015 Taylorball, but there's a time and a place to swing it and I'm not convinced our halves know just yet.

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 8:56 pm

We definitely need changes - the 30-60 min period cost us again today. Has done so each and every week other than the Parra game.
Cherrington is wasted with these 10 min cameos, so send him back to play long mins in NSW Cup, and use the spot on another big body. Lovett continues to make no impact, so I'd be sending him back too.
I've not seen a single minute of NSW Cup, so can only guess at who would be worthy of replacing them, but I'd guess Edwards, Griffin and Chee Kam would be there or thereabouts given they've been the emergencies in recent weeks (no to Buchanan).
Ideally we'd want a proper winger to take Rankin's spot, but I doubt JT will make a change there until Hunt is fit.

liltiger

Post by liltiger » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 9:04 pm

Russell wrote:
liltiger wrote:
as mentioned in another post - DID TAYLOR miss the tackles, give away the penalties, drop the balls giving away possession and miss the attempted goals? If your answer is NO - give yourself an uppercut.
Has Taylor done anything to fix these problems
Cause when you look at it the stats now and four weeks in last year our defence is worse. I understand that's it's only early days but surely by now we should have seen some improvement even our discipline is no better. I was willing to give Taylor a fair go this year but he has well and truly lost me he is uninventive, uninspiring and I wouldn't recommend he coach a Toyota cup team. He is well out of his league the history shows Taylor isn't willing to make changes so the only obvious change that can be made is to Taylor.

Tiga89

Post by Tiga89 » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 9:07 pm

Bench needs to be sorted. Interesting to see what will happen when Ballin returns. Lovett should be searching for a different field of work as he offers nothing and is v slow.

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 9:09 pm

We are not that far off....we were well in control of that game until we started dropping the ball....losing control of possession and that's when the poor tackling and disciplines started to pile up.

The one that really killed me was the Lovett flop in front of the posts on the last just after halftime. This guy is quickly falling into the Ashford, moltzen, anasta class. Poor ball handling, dominated in attack, dumb penalties and ineffective tackles and that's being kind.

Tiga89

Post by Tiga89 » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 9:11 pm

larrycorowa wrote:We are not that far off....we were well in control of that game until we started dropping the ball....losing control of possession and that's when the poor tackling and disciplines started to pile up.

The one that really killed me was the Lovett flop in front of the posts on the last just after halftime. This guy is quickly falling into the Ashford, moltzen, anasta class. Poor ball handling, dominated in attack, dumb penalties and ineffective tackles and that's being kind.
Do we accept another year of no finals under Taylor this year?