Changes need to be made

Byron Bay Fan

Re: Changes need to be made

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 6:23 am

We all love Woods a terrific powerful workhorse and great tackler but I can't recall him getting the boys in a huddle when things were tough yesterday, but it could have been when I was at bistro getting coffee. When in huddle I hope they talk tactics as well but he is not the tactical person??
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 6:26 am

Because Farah does not have responsibility for the team I think he has a less mongrel in him but mongrel is what we need. I think it was his run-a-round with Woods that created one of those tries.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 6:27 am

Because Farah does not have responsibility for the team I think he has a less mongrel in him but mongrel is what we need. I think it was his run-a-round with Woods that created one of those tries. Farah still my be in half recovery with his knee so maybe too early to judge that aspect. He did not hog the ball but it did not improve us that much. His runs always make decent ground.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 7:14 am

larrycorowa wrote:We are not that far off....we were well in control of that game until we started dropping the ball....losing control of possession and that's when the poor tackling and disciplines started to pile up.

The one that really killed me was the Lovett flop in front of the posts on the last just after halftime. This guy is quickly falling into the Ashford, moltzen, anasta class. Poor ball handling, dominated in attack, dumb penalties and ineffective tackles and that's being kind.
Lovett should have been hooked for that penalty, it was a shocker. He should have been penalised the very next play too for a flop. That penalty was very costly.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 7:34 am

liltiger wrote:
Russell wrote:
liltiger wrote:
Harvey wrote:I have previously defended him, but Rankin needs to go. His defence is solid, but shows little on hit-ups and kick returns and has now been caught out of position when attacking a number of times. Would look at JAC, MCK or Peninsula with a possible backline shift to accomodate.
Our bench is completely ineffective with Ava, Aloiai, Lovett and Cherrington all offering little in the game time they are getting. I would use Halatau as the back up hooker and would find room on the bench for Griffin, MCK and Edwards.
We need to start with Taylor then buy a real coach not a budget reject so we can save money hopefully then Lovett and Buchanan will follow him out the door honestly Taylor is the only clown who would give those two a regular first grade run
as mentioned in another post - DID TAYLOR miss the tackles, give away the penalties, drop the balls giving away possession and miss the attempted goals? If your answer is NO - give yourself an uppercut.
Has Taylor done anything to fix these problems
Cause when you look at it the stats now and four weeks in last year our defence is worse. I understand that's it's only early days but surely by now we should have seen some improvement even our discipline is no better. I was willing to give Taylor a fair go this year but he has well and truly lost me he is uninventive, uninspiring and I wouldn't recommend he coach a Toyota cup team. He is well out of his league the history shows Taylor isn't willing to make changes so the only obvious change that can be made is to Taylor.
Of course last years first few weeks in defence was better. Thats when the coach wanted the guys to play his way and learn to defend and close up the leaks.

But, as you all know, half way through the year is when the players revolted and wanted to go back to their way because it was all too hard.

Well guess what. This is what you now get.

Im not convinced Taylor is better or worse than any other coach. Im not sure if he should stay or go. After reading 'tigertorchs' posts recently, if they are genuine, then the playing group and coach are generally happy and getting on.

We are competing with better teams far better now than we did through last year. We were never in the hunt then.

Look at the teams we have played.
Parra-suppossed top four.
Sharks, supposed top four.
Manly, gun team but touched them up.
Warriors, the big deal with new signings, but we did just enough to get home.

The only game where we were completely terrible was the Gold Coast.

I think if we put a few together, the confidence and learning will grow massively. Bit soon for me to write the season or coach off just yet.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

MightyMaggy

Post by MightyMaggy » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 7:42 am

Russell wrote:
liltiger wrote:
Harvey wrote:I have previously defended him, but Rankin needs to go. His defence is solid, but shows little on hit-ups and kick returns and has now been caught out of position when attacking a number of times. Would look at JAC, MCK or Peninsula with a possible backline shift to accomodate.
Our bench is completely ineffective with Ava, Aloiai, Lovett and Cherrington all offering little in the game time they are getting. I would use Halatau as the back up hooker and would find room on the bench for Griffin, MCK and Edwards.
We need to start with Taylor then buy a real coach not a budget reject so we can save money hopefully then Lovett and Buchanan will follow him out the door honestly Taylor is the only clown who would give those two a regular first grade run
as mentioned in another post - DID TAYLOR miss the tackles, give away the penalties, drop the balls giving away possession and miss the attempted goals? If your answer is NO - give yourself an uppercut.[/quote]
NO! But, what has the coach done to reduce the missed tackles, the penalties, the dropped balls and the missed goals?

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 8:45 am

MightyMaggy wrote:NO! But, what has the coach done to reduce the missed tackles, the penalties, the dropped balls and the missed goals?
I can't believe that this is still happening. Didn't Taylor say he was going to fix the defence and make us a consistently competitive side ?

The coach deserves some criticism.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 8:55 am

stevetiger wrote:
MightyMaggy wrote:NO! But, what has the coach done to reduce the missed tackles, the penalties, the dropped balls and the missed goals?
I can't believe that this is still happening. Didn't Taylor say he was going to fix the defence and make us a consistently competitive side ?

We are competitive. Haven't lost by more than 12 points all year. Mainly cause we are scoring a load of points rather than stopping the opposition, but.....

Tiga89

Post by Tiga89 » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 9:23 am

stevetiger wrote:

Every time he submits that team a sheet he not only deserves criticism but also a appt with a neurologist wouldnt go astray. He should Do the karate kick AKA the crownon Lovett might smack some sense into him.

Cosimo_Zaretti

Post by Cosimo_Zaretti » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 3:05 pm

TYGA wrote:
JAC straight swap for Rankin.
MCK straight swap for Cherrington.
Siro straight swap for Lovett.

Bench should be Ava, Aloai, Sirro, MCK. We have a reserve hooker in Halatau and MCK can cover the outside backs also.
Well obviously Sironen would be in the side ahead of Lovett, but he's injured so that's a moot point.

Mighty Tiger

Post by Mighty Tiger » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 3:11 pm

Russell wrote:
liltiger wrote:
as mentioned in another post - DID TAYLOR miss the tackles, give away the penalties, drop the balls giving away possession and miss the attempted goals? If your answer is NO - give yourself an uppercut.
Taylor for the last 18mths had been talking about defence, so far this year we havent showed any defensive structures for 80mins and we are leaking points all over the place.

Taylor picks Rankin out of position, Lovett, Buch, 3 hookers or 2 hookers who one only gets 10mins if he is lucky a game.

Its very clear we arent playing smart footy and are struggling to keep up with other teams.

Taylor is in charge of driving improvements, so far this year sure attack we look better but our defence (something is speaks all the time about), we have gone backwards on last year.

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 5:11 pm

Cosimo_Zaretti wrote:
TYGA wrote:
JAC straight swap for Rankin.
MCK straight swap for Cherrington.
Siro straight swap for Lovett.

Bench should be Ava, Aloai, Sirro, MCK. We have a reserve hooker in Halatau and MCK can cover the outside backs also.
Well obviously Sironen would be in the side ahead of Lovett, but he's injured so that's a moot point.
You would think its a moot point but its not. Taylor selects Lovett even with Siro in the team and Siro is no better than a bench forward.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 5:22 pm

we need to buy 2 mongrel forwards that oppositions fear... We dont need to like them, as long as they do there job and trample on bums like Gallens head!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 6:33 pm

agree about the bench but rankin isn't even a problem. honestly don't think changing the winger will change any part of our game. tbh, noffa has had 10x more bad reads and defensive errors than rankin.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 6:53 pm

We need to replace Rankin with a real winger,but I stress Rankin has not lost us any games,he is just not a winger and we have to get a bench that has some power and energy, but it all counts for nothing till this side learns some discipline

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 7:24 pm

I'm going to try and make a count when I finally re watch the game

But I'd like to know how many times the Tigers fail to put an attacker on the ground compared to the Sharks putting us down

We couldn't even put Heighington down , I reckon at least 3 times we left him standing

stryker

Post by stryker » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 9:13 pm

^ wow that's nerdy lol

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 9:58 pm

stryker wrote:^ wow that's nerdy lol
Yeah maybe Stryker , but it was something very noticeable and every time we didn't drop them they got on a roll

Also want to watch a crucial thing that may have gone unnoticed at the time , but I think Grant was purposely taken out just before their 4th try , opened a huge hole through the middle of the ruck ....