Is JT serious

ricksen

Re: Is JT serious

Post by ricksen » Sat 02 Apr, 2016 11:56 pm

Thanks to our friend @nothingbutWT, our tries conceded for the first 5 rounds read as thus:
0-30 mins: 2 tries conceded
31-60: 14
61-80: 4

It's clear where the issue is.

tigermac88

Post by tigermac88 » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 12:13 am

Demps wrote:This guy has no idea.

Try watching a game once and a while.
You're wasting your time with him Demps I tried explaining to him and just gave up
:deadhorse:

cochise

Post by cochise » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 1:11 am

ricksen wrote:Thanks to our friend @nothingbutWT, our tries conceded for the first 5 rounds read as thus:
0-30 mins: 2 tries conceded
31-60: 14
61-80: 4

It's clear where the issue is.
This is a very telling stat and reflects my feeling watching the games. Our poor use of the bench us really killing this team. We cannot afford to carry Cherrinhgton on the bench any longer, we need an extra forward in the rotation especially when we have the option of using halatau at hooker if needed. We are dominating the opening 30 mins of every game. Then as we tire the opposition gains momentem that we can not halt. The interesting part to this is we regain control in the final 20 mins of matches, this does coincide with us usually getting Grant and Woods back on the field together.

I also think the decision to replace Lawrance with 20 mins to go was a poor one, unless he was injured. In previous games his speed and footwork at the line has really troubled the opposition on the backend of games. He us very difficult to contain in the final 20 mins and would be playing 80 mins every week for me.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 1:57 am

Not to sound like i'm defending Taylor here, but lets be honest. How long before some look past the coach and question the playing group? Last yr, JT was the one who should have been held accountable for the way he put the handcuffs on, but they are off now, this team has a lot more freedom, yet still aren't producing consistent results. This playing group also failed under Potter too. This is what happens when you have to solely rely on juniors without outside recruitment. Us not having the balance there is a big reason why we are where we're at.

And if anyone wants to blame team selection tonight, please. Last week is understandable because i wasn't happy either, but if you think guys like Chee Kam and JAC coming in for Lovett and Rankin (Rankin i thought was strong tonight) is the difference between winning and losing, well then our problems aren't that bad if that's our biggest issue atm.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 8:41 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:Not to sound like i'm defending Taylor here, but lets be honest.
You are constantly defending the guy. Let him cop it when he says and does stupid stuff which let's be honest has occurred a lot. He was a dud last year. Absolutely terrible. I'm hopeful he has learned from last year and I think he has improved this year but let's see how we go this season. We are in a tough patch right now and he and the players need to get us out of this situation.

Our team also isn't that bad. I just don't see it. We can get on top of teams. We have some great attack at times. We can defend at times. We just aren't firing consistently throughout the course of the game.

I still think we can turn this season around.

PYMBLEPETE

Post by PYMBLEPETE » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 9:32 am

ricksen wrote:
innsaneink wrote:I really think some people are overating cronulla though... They're nothing special
defo agree
All the hype around them for top 4 has me flummoxed tbh. They'll be around the bottom half of the 8 or so, but as you say - nothing special.
That's exactly where we need to be aiming. Passing off the loss as 'oh it's alright, they're a top team' is a poor and defeatist attitude. JT looked gutted in his press conference, much more so than the previous too games, and I'm much the same.
Cant agree with those assessments of the Sharks. Fafita, Gallen and Barba were outstanding. And players like Bird and Lewis werent far behind. They may be an outside back or two short but the necleus of a very good side is there.

stryker

Post by stryker » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 9:42 am

PYMBLEPETE wrote:
ricksen wrote:
innsaneink wrote:I really think some people are overating cronulla though... They're nothing special
defo agree
All the hype around them for top 4 has me flummoxed tbh. They'll be around the bottom half of the 8 or so, but as you say - nothing special.
That's exactly where we need to be aiming. Passing off the loss as 'oh it's alright, they're a top team' is a poor and defeatist attitude. JT looked gutted in his press conference, much more so than the previous too games, and I'm much the same.
Cant agree with those assessments of the Sharks. Fafita, Gallen and Barba were outstanding. And players like Bird and Lewis werent far behind. They may be an outside back or two short but the necleus of a very good side is there.
I dont agree either. They are a quality side who are pealing off wins without playing exceptional footy yet. Apart from the 5 names Pymble elluded to, they also have a clever and creative pair of halves in Maloney and Townsend, a consistently good backrower in Graham, a manipulative worker at number 9 in Ennis, a genuine star in the making in Holmes and a big, experienced and aggro bench. They will be right up there come the end of the year.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 9:44 am

stevetiger wrote:
You are constantly defending the guy. Let him cop it when he says and does stupid stuff which let's be honest has occurred a lot. He was a dud last year. Absolutely terrible. I'm hopeful he has learned from last year and I think he has improved this year but let's see how we go this season. We are in a tough patch right now and he and the players need to get us out of this
Did you read beyond my first sentence that you quoted? Where was I defending him for last week or last yr? I was pretty clear in saying the blame lay at his feet. But where did it lay last night? The balance of the bench was fine. All last night did was show how brittle the playing roster is. Blame them, maybe they are just as big a part of the problem in this.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 9:57 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
stevetiger wrote:
You are constantly defending the guy. Let him cop it when he says and does stupid stuff which let's be honest has occurred a lot. He was a dud last year. Absolutely terrible. I'm hopeful he has learned from last year and I think he has improved this year but let's see how we go this season. We are in a tough patch right now and he and the players need to get us out of this
Did you read beyond my first sentence that you quoted? Where was I defending him for last week or last yr? I was pretty clear in saying the blame lay at his feet. But where did it lay last night? The balance of the bench was fine. All last night did was show how brittle the playing roster is. Blame them, maybe they are just as big a part of the problem in this.
I think we can blame the playing roster and Taylor especially when Taylor has a history of stating stuff that makes him appear to have no idea about winning rugby league games.

Watch his press conference this week. He sounds like he had the issues right. If he spoke like that more consistently and the team were playing good footy I'd have a lot more confidence in him.

I don't think our playing roster though is that bad. I think it's decent. We probably need a better bench but apart from that it's just poor discipline that has cost us recently. Maybe we need a change in our halves but they have their moments and they are learning. I think though letting Austin and Taupau go for instance were two big mistakes.

sideline eye

Post by sideline eye » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 9:58 am

Without all the angst about the coach or various players, from where I was sitting in the western grandstand, we were a front rower short in the rotation and if Cherrington is only to play 10 minutes per game, replace him on the bench with either Edwards or one of our younger props, Graham or Grant. This should help the fatigue factor and consequently, our unforced errors. I would go for Edwards simply because he is experienced but I wouldn't complain about either of the others.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 9:59 am

From the moment Gallen scored to make it 24-20 I considered it a loss, regardless if we went on to win or not. Would have been yet another game we won while still conceding 20+ plus points. I'm not a fan of 31-30 victories. What it does is tell the opposition that if they hold the ball, they will score enough points against us if we're off with our attack like we were against Parra.

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 10:01 am

stryker wrote:
PYMBLEPETE wrote:
ricksen wrote:
defo agree
I dont agree either. They are a quality side who are pealing off wins without playing exceptional footy yet. Apart from the 5 names Pymble elluded to, they also have a clever and creative pair of halves in Maloney and Townsend, a consistently good backrower in Graham, a manipulative worker at number 9 in Ennis, a genuine star in the making in Holmes and a big, experienced and aggro bench. They will be right up there come the end of the year.
Agree I picked the Sharks to make the GF at the start of the year and haven't seen anything to say they won't as yet. I expected a Sharks v Broncos grand final with Cowboys to run out of puff like back to back teams do.

I am dissapointed we have only won 2/5 because we have been within striking distance or in fact in front at HT in 2 of them but I think we are still very much top 8 potential. Now if we loose to Knights next week then its a different story.

sunshine coast tiger

Post by sunshine coast tiger » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 10:07 am

Boonboon2 wrote:
stryker wrote:
PYMBLEPETE wrote:
ricksen wrote:
defo agree
Agree I picked the Sharks to make the GF at the start of the year and haven't seen anything to say they won't as yet. I expected a Sharks v Broncos grand final with Cowboys to run out of puff like back to back teams do.

I am dissapointed we have only won 2/5 because we have been within striking distance or in fact in front at HT in 2 of them but I think we are still very much top 8 potential. Now if we loose to Knights next week then its a different story.
The sharks were very beatable yesterday we didn't play well enough and had no ball in the second half (a lot to do with a lopsided penalty count against us in that half).

A loss to Newcastle next week is unacceptable, they are the worse side in the NRL and we should not accept anything other than a win against them.

Muffstar

Post by Muffstar » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 10:19 am

sunshine coast tiger wrote:
Boonboon2 wrote:
stryker wrote:
PYMBLEPETE wrote:

The sharks were very beatable yesterday we didn't play well enough and had no ball in the second half (a lot to do with a lopsided penalty count against us in that half).

A loss to Newcastle next week is unacceptable, they are the worse side in the NRL and we should not accept anything other than a win against them.
Newcastle played pretty well against Melbourne yesterday. They are improving, sadly we are not, so don't write them off as a team which we will beat easily.

Muffstar

Post by Muffstar » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 10:19 am

sunshine coast tiger wrote:
Boonboon2 wrote:
stryker wrote:
PYMBLEPETE wrote:

Newcastle played pretty well against Melbourne yesterday. They are improving, sadly we are not, so don't write them off as a team which we will beat easily.

Curaeus

Post by Curaeus » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 10:32 am

Always had a feeling the Sharks were going to win yesterday even when we regained the lead in the second half. We still concede far too many stupid penalties. Our indiscipline is and remains a major problem and will continue to cost us points-and games. What worries me most is that by the time we do get our act together, our outstanding juniors like Brooks, Moses and possibly Teddy will have just had enough and departed for more competitive outfits.

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 10:54 am

I have a suspicion on the back of losses to the Titans, Eels, Sharks and Knights Taylor will be on shaky ground. The result next week will be pivotal as it was reported before the season starts after round 6 Taylor can be sacked with no payout. This coupled with Buckets disrespecting the coach with Pizza and Beer and reported interest in a Cleary favourite in Elijah Taylor might all point in one direction.

The biggest question remains around resigning Brooks, Moses and Tedesco.
To be honest Taylor hasn't done that bad a job with the exception of playing Lovett, Buchanan, Rankin, 3 hookers and under utilising the bench. Our lack of squad depth is really the issue.

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 11:01 am

TYGA wrote:I have a suspicion on the back of losses to the Titans, Eels, Sharks and Knights Taylor will be on shaky ground. The result next week will be pivotal as it was reported before the season starts after round 6 Taylor can be sacked with no payout. This coupled with Buckets disrespecting the coach with Pizza and Beer and reported interest in a Cleary favourite in Elijah Taylor might all point in one direction.

The biggest question remains around resigning Brooks, Moses and Tedesco.
To be honest Taylor hasn't done that bad a job with the exception of playing Lovett, Buchanan, Rankin, 3 hookers and under utilising the bench. Our lack of squad depth is really the issue.
It would not take to much to not exactly kill yourself to put Taylor in the 6 round senario things seem to have gone down hill since round 2.