If Only We Had a Fifita or Gallen or Both!

LCA

Re: If Only We Had a Fifita or Gallen or Both!

Post by LCA » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 6:59 am

stevied wrote:What was really obvious in the Sharks game was our lack of size, strength and power in the forwards. Other than one or two charges by Grant and Sue, once again, we failed to bend the line. Woods is a worker, gains a mountain of metres every game and has a big tank but.....and I know people will disagree....he doesn't really bend the line. In my opinion he ambles up, continues rolling forward while defenders grapple with him and the net result is that the defensive line is set by the time he is forced to play the ball. This is an example of where stats can override actual effect.
Bending the lines means that the defensive line is caught out and weakened by a fast, powerful run that knocks defenders backwards and results in fast play the balls where the defense cannot get set.
The Sharks have have spades of size and power in the form of Fifita and Gallen. Fifita is a huge man who is unstoppable in the type of form he showed last night while Gallen is almost as effective with his no nonsense charges. The Tigers need players similar to this to seriously compete against sides like Cronulla. Our team were brave but it was obvious the difference in the game was the platform laid by the Sharks forwards. We simply don't have the bodies to compete and we need to make changes, especially on the bench. Impact is what is required and we don't have it. Choose some players who are big and aggressive, even if it means shorter stints on the field.The other thing that Gallen provides is sheer mongrel and a desire to win at all costs. We don't have much of that either.
A great summary of where we find ourselves at the moment. I can't knock the effort of the boys at all. In every game so far, they've had a serious go at winning. But the classy forward deficiencies are pretty obvious. I don't know a solution.....I hope others might know more about NSW Cup squad (or whatever it's called now), but...just imagine if Woods or Grant is injured for any length of time!!! We'd be completely screwed.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 7:04 am

Woods hardly ever gets a quick ptb

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 7:28 am

Fifita just need to be smashed early in the game... He will be MIA from that point.... Flat track bully. Take the game to him, don't let him dominate... He has the mental capacity of an 8 year old.. When things don't go his way he goes to water

Love the WestsTigers

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 7:34 am

Fifita is a grub who tries to bully all the smaller guys on the field
Gallen is a serial whinger and a sulk

Only time I don't rip into these fools is when they play for the Blues or Australia

Fifita was good under Sheen, since leaving WT he thinks he is King Poo
There are many other big forwards in the game who aren't grubs like Fifita

TigerMoz

Post by TigerMoz » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 8:20 am

No thanks the 2 biggest low life grubs in the game. I'll take Klemmer etc. and there are many others before I'd take these two grubs.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 8:21 am

Fifita brings an x factor that other big forwards do not possess. While I understand why he had to go, I always believe under the captaincy of Woods he would respond positively.

kiwitiger

Post by kiwitiger » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 8:45 am

Demps wrote:I miss Simon Dwyer
So sad we will never know how good he could have been. However it is nearly 5 yrs since his injury, and we have never looked like getting another 2ndrower like we hoped he would be.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 8:50 am

Fifita is also a massive liability, gives away lots of penalties and dropped ball. I know Sharks fans that are always 50/50 about his performances, even though he had a terrific first year for them, he's not nearly been so good since.

However he is supported by an in-form hooker and an extremely experienced backrow, so you can afford some looseness.

Marty Taupau... that's just about money. He wanted too much, no biggie.

Love the WestsTigers

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 8:50 am

kiwitiger wrote:
Demps wrote:I miss Simon Dwyer
So sad we will never know how good he could have been. However it is nearly 5 yrs since his injury, and we have never looked like getting another 2ndrower like we hoped he would be.

Our biggest 2 losses

Dwyer and TANK - TT

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 9:00 am

The issue with Woods game at the moment is that he has a great offload but the team has been instructed not too offload so it is wasted. This not only leads to no offloads but makes him easier for teams to wrestle with because they aren't as worried about his offloads

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 9:03 am

Why this restriction? A bit like the halves been restricted by JT which resulted in criticism from Gould and co.

Basil Tiger

Post by Basil Tiger » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 9:28 am

stevied wrote:What was really obvious in the Sharks game was our lack of size, strength and power in the forwards.
...you left out ability,the boys are having a go so far this season but are being outplayed.We urgently need 2,perhaps 3 or 4 genuine First graders like the Sharks pack has.
I think our attack has improved this year,with the amount of attention Tedesco is getting when he moves into the line it should allow Moses or Brooks to conjur something up.
Greetings All,from far Northern NSW.

doublesonthemain

Post by doublesonthemain » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 9:36 am

I was sitting at the northern end yesterday. The Sharks had just taken 2 points after the push and shove between Fifita, Grant etc. From the kick-off I watched Fifita charge back towards the Tigers defenders. I turned to the bloke next to me and said "Who'd want to tackle that". Fifita then bumped a few away and made it to about the 30m line. I then said "That's just given the Sharks a huge lift". Several plays later they score. I'm not a fan of Fifita but he's one of those players who can do something that only a few can match. And don't make him angry, it doesn't help.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 9:46 am

One of the great days in Wests Tigers history - when Fifita went.
He is great when it is going his way and a milksop when it isn't. Someone just needs to put one on him early and he goes to water. Gives away a million penalties as well.

Taupau was just a mercenary - came to us for more money and a shot and then knocked back a good offer from us to go to Manly for more money. Can't play anything like 80 minutes.

So two guys that like to run at small men and won't be missed by me.

Cosimo_Zaretti

Post by Cosimo_Zaretti » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 11:48 am

ricksen wrote:As per the meet up thread, Taupau was let go as they feel Sue is and/or will be better.
Sue does his best work in the wrestle. The first couple of games we seemed to get a penalty every time he hit it up as defenders struggled to hold him down legally. Shame he gives away just as many

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 11:53 am

I wish our big men would run at small men - we might break a couple of tackles that way. It's not cowardly, it's good, smart football.

Fifita is a clown, and I don't miss him, but we definitely don't have that x-factor in the forwards to bust a tackle or two. Woods is a workhorse, Grant is a solid metre-eater, Sue does a range of things reasonably well, Ava is hot and cold, Aloiai is a rookie etc. etc.

Whilst I don't think we're getting the best out of what we have, we're still short in terms of quality personnel.

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 12:17 pm

jirskyr wrote:Fifita is also a massive liability, gives away lots of penalties and dropped ball. I know Sharks fans that are always 50/50 about his performances, even though he had a terrific first year for them, he's not nearly been so good since.

However he is supported by an in-form hooker and an extremely experienced backrow, so you can afford some looseness.

Marty Taupau... that's just about money. He wanted too much, no biggie.
I've been saying this for a while. he was good for us in 2011 and them in 2012. I don't think he has ever got back to that kind of form though. In my opinion he is one of the more overrated players in the comp.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sun 03 Apr, 2016 12:20 pm

intimidation only works if you attack as a pack. putting a klemmer in a pack of pussycats isn't gonna make them all look like tigers.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble