Sironen looking to return with impact

westTAHger

Re: Sironen looking to return with impact

Post by westTAHger » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 9:11 am

Geez you have the build to be a player that can cause a headache for the opponents.
Use your size and strength, like a wrecking ball.
Run straight and hard especially with 10 m of opponents goal line
Hurting the opposition when you tackle them, legally of course.

This will show an impact.
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 9:25 am

Sirro needs to be made to sit and watch videos of Cartwright - Sirro has all the same attributes but just cant put it on the field like Cartwright.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 9:29 am

diedpretty wrote:Sirro needs to be made to sit and watch videos of Cartwright - Sirro has all the same attributes but just cant put it on the field like Cartwright.
He's got the physical attributes of Cartwright but he doesn't have the offloading ability, the step or the kicking game...he's Cartwright minus skill.

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 9:35 am

That's just it - I believe he does have those skills - he just doesn't use any of them - he has a good passing game and I have seen him throw cut out passes. Either he is being coached as a stock standard wide running second rower or he is just too lazy to get more involved.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 9:56 am

We're getting to the point where we're going to have to be honest with ourselves about where some of these juniors who for the last 3 or 4 yrs we've really been drooling over are at. There comes a time when you can no longer use injuries (in Siro's case) as an excuse. He made his debut in 2012, when Sheens was still at the club!!! It doesn't seem like he's been around that long, but he has. If injuries are the reason he hasn't been able to realize his potential, then maybe its time to cut the cord, because money is probably better off spent elsewhere, and it's not like we have a lot of that atm.

And he's not alone. This is is a make or break yr for Moses and Brooks too. A lot of serious questions have to be asked at the end of the yr if we're still talking about how good these guys are ''going to be''.

So far Tedesco is the only one who has lived up to his potential well and truly, which is ironic given out of all players mentioned, he has been the worst affected with injuries since coming into the top grade. Moses, to his credit is on his way to realizing his potential and sitting alongside Tedesco. The other 2, not so much.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 9:58 am

I reckon he can be a really good player but he just isn't hitting that level is he.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 10:04 am

I'm starting to get concerned that some of them won't kick on. I thought Moses may have a Tedesco like breakout year this year but I don't think that is going to happen. Brooks is now not looking like a first grade player. He has his moments and he puts in but he has way too many poor plays in him.

I still think Sironen may become a solid first grader. He does keep missing games. I wonder how he'd go with a bunch of games in a row.

There is a long way to go this season and there is a chance they all have great years.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 10:07 am

Nelson wrote:
diedpretty wrote:Sirro needs to be made to sit and watch videos of Cartwright - Sirro has all the same attributes but just cant put it on the field like Cartwright.
He's got the physical attributes of Cartwright but he doesn't have the offloading ability, the step or the kicking game...he's Cartwright minus skill.
Do we know whether Woods and Sironen are under instruction not to off load? Woods has a very good off load in him which he demonstrated consistently through the grades. Hasn't JT instructed the halves to take charge and if so why would Sironen kick?

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 10:19 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:We're getting to the point where we're going to have to be honest with ourselves about where some of these juniors who for the last 3 or 4 yrs we've really been drooling over are at. There comes a time when you can no longer use injuries (in Siro's case) as an excuse. He made his debut in 2012, when Sheens was still at the club!!! It doesn't seem like he's been around that long, but he has. If injuries are the reason he hasn't been able to realize his potential, then maybe its time to cut the cord, because money is probably better off spent elsewhere, and it's not like we have a lot of that atm.

And he's not alone. This is is a make or break yr for Moses and Brooks too. A lot of serious questions have to be asked at the end of the yr if we're still talking about how good these guys are ''going to be''.

So far Tedesco is the only one who has lived up to his potential well and truly, which is ironic given out of all players mentioned, he has been the worst affected with injuries since coming into the top grade. Moses, to his credit is on his way to realizing his potential and sitting alongside Tedesco. The other 2, not so much.
IMO we have a highly inflated opinion of how good our juniors are, whoever is responsible for earmarking them for first grade needs to have a talk with Noel Cleal, and I was going to say Cyril Connell, until I remembered that that would be hard to do.
Both Cleal and Connell had the best eye for a footballer who had true potential for the top grade that I've ever seen.
Even they, didn't have a 100%record of success. But they were better at it than most.
Talent identification is probably the most important thing in a club like ours, and maybe we should be Spending a bit more there, and trying to get better results there
If TT was right and this 50% of juniors in first grade stuff Is accurate, we need better talent identification than we've got

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 10:25 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Nelson wrote:
Do we know whether Woods and Sironen are under instruction not to off load? Woods has a very good off load in him which he demonstrated consistently through the grades. Hasn't JT instructed the halves to take charge and if so why would Sironen kick?
I'm not talking about kicking in general play I'm talking about attacking kicks. Cartwright gets the ball on the edge and is known as a threat. When the defence collapses in to contain him and the centre outside him (i.e. to cover the offload) he kicks in behind for his outside men.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 10:28 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:We're getting to the point where we're going to have to be honest with ourselves about where some of these juniors who for the last 3 or 4 yrs we've really been drooling over are at. There comes a time when you can no longer use injuries (in Siro's case) as an excuse. He made his debut in 2012, when Sheens was still at the club!!! It doesn't seem like he's been around that long, but he has. If injuries are the reason he hasn't been able to realize his potential, then maybe its time to cut the cord, because money is probably better off spent elsewhere, and it's not like we have a lot of that atm.

IMO we have a highly inflated opinion of how good our juniors are, whoever is responsible for earmarking them for first grade needs to have a talk with Noel Cleal, and I was going to say Cyril Connell, until I remembered that that would be hard to do.
Both Cleal and Connell had the best eye for a footballer who had true potential for the top grade that I've ever seen.
Even they, didn't have a 100%record of success. But they were better at it than most.
Talent identification is probably the most important thing in a club like ours, and maybe we should be Spending a bit more there, and trying to get better results there
If TT was right and this 50% of juniors in first grade stuff Is accurate, we need better talent identification than we've got
When you see a kid like Bryce Cartwright, then look at Siro, Siro is a reserve grader by comparison. I've even read predictions that Siro will play for Australia.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 10:41 am

I heard a well known commentator remark the Sironen should be given a roving commission in attack to fully utilise his skills. So there is an argument that he may not have been used to realise his full potential.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 11:21 am

Who?
Gus?

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 11:26 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:I heard a well known commentator remark the Sironen should be given a roving commission in attack to fully utilise his skills. So there is an argument that he may not have been used to realise his full potential.
Exactly - which is what Cartwright has at Penriff.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 11:26 am

tig_prmz wrote:0/3 without siro and 2/2 with him. correlation always equates to causation. we've missed siro so much.
Just have to point out that correlation doesn't relate to causation.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 11:32 am

Really want to see these words turn into action today. Want to see Sironen charging onto the ball with vigour and purpose, show us something other than mediocre.

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 11:51 am

TIGER wrote:
tig_prmz wrote:0/3 without siro and 2/2 with him. correlation always equates to causation. we've missed siro so much.
Just have to point out that correlation doesn't relate to causation.
pretty sure it does, i had pink undies on for all 3 losses and blue ones for our wins.

wearing blue today, here's hoping!! :lol:
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 11:51 am

I am happy to see him back, just as I am thankful that we have plenty of other juniors of first grade quality to select.

Maybe that's why I support WT rather than the chooks.