Sironen looking to return with impact

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Re: Sironen looking to return with impact

Post by formerguest » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 11:52 am

formerguest wrote:I am happy to see him back, just as I am thankful that we have plenty of other juniors of first grade quality to select.

Maybe that's why I support WT rather than the chooks.

coopy

Post by coopy » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 11:55 am

I am willing to give him a bit more time.He always struck me as a 5/8 in a backrowers body. I think with last year's "structure"much of his creativity was coached out of him but given JT has loosened the reigns a little this year, he may allow Sirro to play a bit more football.

If Brooks does decide to move on I am very open to the idea of moving Sirro back to 5/8 to see if that works out.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 11:58 am

People need to stop making excuses for him

willow

Post by willow » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 12:43 pm

Sironen out to earn starting spot back
Sun 10 Apr, 2016, 7:15am
By Chris Kennedy ‌, National Correspondent , NRL.com

Wests Tigers back-rower Curtis Sironen makes his comeback from a hamstring niggle via the bench this weekend and wants to prove he's worthy of a starting spot again.

The club have lost all three games since Sironen was injured after a high-scoring win in Round 1, then a strong victory over Manly at Leichhardt in Round 2 despite Sironen going off early due to his hamstring.

With Robbie Farah also being worked back from injury and back-rower Dene Halatau performing the Mr Fix-it role plugging gaps in the interim, Sironen finds himself on the bench behind second-rowers Halatau and Chris Lawrence and lock Sauaso Sue for the trip to Newcastle on Sunday.

But at this stage the 22-year-old is just relieved to be back on the field after a trying few weeks watching his mates lose three straight.

"It's been tough watching the last couple of weeks," Sironen told NRL.com.

"I had a little hammy niggle against Manly the other week which was annoying. I've just been doing my rehab and I'm ready to go. I'm coming off the bench but it will be exciting.

"I'd never had a hammy niggle before so it was a bit disappointing. I wasn't really sure how long I'd be out.

"I missed three games I'm but ready to go now, hopefully I can get through this week at training and be 100 per cent going into the game and then just build off that and try and earn another starting spot eventually.

"I'm just worried about getting back out there mate, I'm really excited. After a couple of losses the hunger's there even more. I'll be ready to go."

It is hard enough watching on from the sidelines at any time, let alone when the team's losing and you're powerless to help. Sironen focused his energy on doing everything with the rehab group to get back on the field as quick as possible.

"I'll be ready to go. I'm not sure how many minutes I'll get but just excited to get out on the field," he said.

Sironen's return was welcomed by good mate and fellow back-rower Kyle Lovett.

"Yeah it's awesome, he'll come in and do what he does, take the ball forward and get a bit of skill going for us, he'll be good for us definitely," Lovett said.

Senior man Halatau added that despite Sironen's age he was already turning into a senior player in the squad.

"He's only young still but he's been playing for a few years now and he was working pretty consistently on the edge there during the pre-season so he'll come in and help out myself and maybe Chrissy Lawrence and give us some time elsewhere," Halatau told NRL.com.

"He's trained hard to get back on the field, he's been working hard with the physio and the staff and I know he's really keen to get out there and make a difference. He's in good shape and I'm looking forward to seeing him go round."

It won't be an easy task against Newcastle though, especially with powerful second-rower Tariq Sims making his return from a five-game suspension for his first hit-out of the year.

"They're a hungry side as well, a couple of losses is going to change the attitude of the team, same as us," Sironen said.

"So we're not taking them lightly, they're a quality side, they've got a few players coming back, they've got Sims back so they'll be ready to rock and roll."

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 1:12 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:We're getting to the point where we're going to have to be honest with ourselves about where some of these juniors who for the last 3 or 4 yrs we've really been drooling over are at. There comes a time when you can no longer use injuries (in Siro's case) as an excuse. He made his debut in 2012, when Sheens was still at the club!!! It doesn't seem like he's been around that long, but he has. If injuries are the reason he hasn't been able to realize his potential, then maybe its time to cut the cord, because money is probably better off spent elsewhere, and it's not like we have a lot of that atm.

And he's not alone. This is is a make or break yr for Moses and Brooks too. A lot of serious questions have to be asked at the end of the yr if we're still talking about how good these guys are ''going to be''.

So far Tedesco is the only one who has lived up to his potential well and truly, which is ironic given out of all players mentioned, he has been the worst affected with injuries since coming into the top grade. Moses, to his credit is on his way to realizing his potential and sitting alongside Tedesco. The other 2, not so much.
IMO we have a highly inflated opinion of how good our juniors are, whoever is responsible for earmarking them for first grade needs to have a talk with Noel Cleal, and I was going to say Cyril Connell, until I remembered that that would be hard to do.
Both Cleal and Connell had the best eye for a footballer who had true potential for the top grade that I've ever seen.
Even they, didn't have a 100%record of success. But they were better at it than most.
Talent identification is probably the most important thing in a club like ours, and maybe we should be Spending a bit more there, and trying to get better results there
If TT was right and this 50% of juniors in first grade stuff Is accurate, we need better talent identification than we've got
I don't think the identification process is that bad - at least in Sironen's case. Judges across the board (inside and outside the club) have been earmarking him for rep duty for years, though for whatever reason it just isn't happening.

It's one of the reasons that throwing all our hopes on developing juniors is so fraught with danger with regards to future success. Sure you need to get a few coming through, but the simple fact is a lot of these kids just won't turn out. Potential and talent are great, but there are so many other variables at play that affect long term performance.
It's great that we promote from within more than other clubs, but the policy is only an asset as far as how well it's managed. We need to know when to persist and when to cut guys loose.

InBenjiWeTrust

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 1:27 pm

IMHO Sironen should model his game on Ellis, Lewis, Mateo, Mannering, Sutton and younger players like Gillett and Cartwright.

tiga4eva

Post by tiga4eva » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 6:19 pm

I wish his Dad had played for the Roosters.

tiga4eva

Post by tiga4eva » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 6:20 pm

I wish his Dad had played for the Roosters.

Defiant
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Defiant » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 6:40 pm

Comes on fresh and just gives away penalty after penalty; not much else.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 6:57 pm

I hardly noticed him

cat-party

Post by cat-party » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 8:12 pm

Well he certainly had an impact on the penalty count.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 8:17 pm

Did he really concede 5 penalties? We're starting to pay the price for investing everything we have on these guys.

razor7

Post by razor7 » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 8:18 pm

Sironen and impact should not be used in the same sentence

cunno

Post by cunno » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 8:21 pm

underutilised make him work harder

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 8:24 pm

Guys reality is Siro is a average player and basically has no impact at all ,the Myth surrounding this guy is false ..he would struggle to make another NRL team.

hank37w

Post by hank37w » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 8:30 pm

The only impact he had was the one he was put on report for.
Probably be sitting on the side line with Tim for a couple of weeks.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 8:36 pm

The talk of toughness in the press conference could have been directed at him. How many hit-ups did he take today? He avoids the dirty work. Likes to sit out wide and take the easy option.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 10 Apr, 2016 8:39 pm

He'll be watching from the sideline again for the next 2 weeks...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen