Our Forwards

Love the WestsTigers

Re: Our Forwards

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 7:39 am

Forwards have been good for most part
The likes of Woods , Grant, Sue and Ava
All running with purpose. Yes sure they wont always make huge dents against a good tackle or against a better defensive side but they haven't been bad enough to say they suck

There re 13 on the field, each equally have the duty to do their best to achieve a win for the team but this is not happening right now

For that you cant say its the forwards who suck or are impactless.

In frustration and anger we do sum it up differently
Had we won last night most would have been drooling about how they love our forwards and how they owned the Knights.

You get the jist of it

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 9:26 am

Geo. wrote:
hobbo2803 wrote:Our Forwards are soft , have no mongrel , are easily intimidated by other packs , barely make an effective tackle , rarely get a quick play the ball in .

Bunch of pansies !
They've invited you down to training...so you can tell them...you can then take part as the tackle bag....
Softer than a packet of Western Star left out on a hot tin roof .

You can't teach mongrel mate , you've either got it or you don't .
Unfortunately they don't have it .
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

yeti

Post by yeti » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 10:04 am

We need a player who can actually hurt the opposition forwards - enter Edwards. He's the type of player every pack needs and the type of player we have never had. Look at the damage Nappa did for the Roosters on the weekend. I'm not saying Edwards is in the same class, but he does have opposition forwards looking out for him. We need something - so give this guy a couple of games and see what he can provide.

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 10:11 am

Yes we do need a bruiser in our pack.....probably 2 would be good. But we've been this way for years unfortunately.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

TigerSJ

Post by TigerSJ » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 12:00 pm

Our Forwards - in my book they are definitely one of our major problems and have been for years.
It's pretty basic really....In the first two rounds they were playing tough, hitting the advantage line with intent to break a tackle, running onto the pass and taking the ball up at speed with a quick ptb so the next guy could do the same. That way they rolled down the field and got the opposition back peddling. Once your forwards do that the backs can do their stuff in much more space and time and the halves look like geniuses.
Take away that element from the team and the whole dynamic changes - now the halves have little space and are rushed for time. They are under pressure to come up with something and make some dumb decisions. They try to pull off the miracle plays because they simply can't get the team back into the grind and tough it out to win back the ascendancy in a game.

On the other side of the coin in defence we are just not tough enough - we are rarely dominating the ruck and are slow to get into position. Our forwards give away too many brainless penalties and rarely understand the urgency required in situations that arise in a game.

Why does this happen??? Simply put, we currently have, and have had for some years, a very weak roster with little depth. For years now any guys that have been quality forwards have quickly moved on.

Like many I got distracted in the first few weeks from the ugly truth of our poor roster. Realistically we should not expect to make the semis unless we can find that enthusiasm that the forwards showed early for the rest of the season.

In saying all this - I don't think it's our only problem just a major one on point for this post!

sideline eye

Post by sideline eye » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 12:22 pm

Our pack is pretty good but they lack any organisation by the halves. How many plays were simply shifting the ball from one side to the other? Too many. How many times was the forward running from depth ignored and the ball given instead to a forward who shouldn't have got the ball? Too many. For mine, it isn't the forwards at fault but the halves who put on some extraordinarily stupid plays. Forwards can't build or maintain any pressure when the half or 5/8 continually hand the ball back to the other team by low percentage plays like kicking to the winger on early tackles but the ball, instead, goes over his head into touch. These boys have to learn that the metres need to be made up the middle as part of dominating the opposition and the backs come into play after that job is done.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 12:26 pm

willow wrote:
shane2801 wrote:True, Grant and Lawrence tried hard today. Woods is starting to become another Marshall. Living on past years. He would be just a plodder in better teams.
He's a current SOO and Test front rower :crazy
Yeah, but he's been a dead set plodder so far this yr. Doesn't bend the line, stands up like a statue, almost like he seizes up in tackles. Off load is non existent. Grant has been head and shoulders above him so far.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 12:31 pm

Grant and Lawrence have been our best 2 forwards so far this yr. One, people cursed the signing of in January, calling him a bum, the other is perhaps the most maligned player in the history of the forum. Not sure if that's a reflection of good they've been or how bad the rest have been though.

Woods has been disappointing. Almost to the point he's living off his reputation so far. Halatau has a go, and is my all time favourite WT's player, but he's done i'm afraid.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 12:32 pm

The off load and spontaneity has been coached out of this team.

InBenjiWeTrust

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 12:40 pm

Grant could be easily the best buy of the season.
Sue and Seumanufagai are getting better every game :)
And some facts :) from https://www.nrl.com/stats/telstrapremie ... fault.aspx
Woods is the leading NRL prop by daylight :) He is 3rd in total meters run! (with only RTS and Mansour in front of him) :)

Chadman's Ghost

Post by Chadman's Ghost » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 12:59 pm

Forwards aren't bad at all. They are short an 'impact' player or 2 off the bench I'd think.

Halatau, Farah & Lovett are a bit slow/lack true impact to continue that 'forward roll' that Woods, Grant, Sue & Ava have been providing. They need 1 more guy off the bench adding that.

Alioi & Edwards are, for mine, similar players- more imposing in defense. Certainly useful.

Lawrence is the most damaging wide runner out of the forwards & runs with purpose. Sironen COULD be that, but isn't playing like that right now.

If the pack was more like this;

Woods
Farah/Cherrington/Ballin
Grant
Lawrence
Edwards
Sue

And the bench:

Sironen
Ava
Alioi

You'd just need that 1 extra bowling ball type forward. Felise maybe? It's not the defense I'd be looking to strengthen. It's the momentum. They need a guy that can charge in & create a roll on when Woods, Grant & Sue come off.

batboy

Post by batboy » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 1:41 pm

Biggest problem with our Forwards is.... We can't find them!!
Our first 3 hit ups are taken by outside backs (Rankin gets smashed on these) and If we don't kick on the 4th the Pigs get a couple lazy hit ups.

Watching the Cows game - 1st hit up was Scott, 2nd was Taumalolo, 3rd was Tamau, 4th was Lowe or Cooper and by then they'd made 60 odd metres... As well as sapping some life out of the D in the middle. We send the lightweights in - The middle towels them up and keep fresh for the big guys runs. Our sets are starting inside the 10 and finishing outside the 20... It's at the point where its almost funny.
Rugby League is a Field position game and we think we can compete giving up 20-30m each set....

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 1:46 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:Grant and Lawrence have been our best 2 forwards so far this yr. One, people cursed the signing of in January, calling him a bum, the other is perhaps the most maligned player in the history of the forum. Not sure if that's a reflection of good they've been or how bad the rest have been though.

Woods has been disappointing. Almost to the point he's living off his reputation so far. Halatau has a go, and is my all time favourite WT's player, but he's done i'm afraid.
Fitzy says hi.

I do agree though. Lawrence and Grant have far surpassed the others IMO. Lawrence is the only second rower we have that knows how to run a decent line.
It's not cruelty to animals if you inject enough amphetamines.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 1:47 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:The off load and spontaneity has been coached out of this team.
On the contrary spontaneity is all they know. How many stupid passes that aren't on have we pushed inside the 20 in the four games?
It's not cruelty to animals if you inject enough amphetamines.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 1:49 pm

Love the WestsTigers wrote:Forwards have been good for most part
The likes of Woods , Grant, Sue and Ava
All running with purpose. Yes sure they wont always make huge dents against a good tackle or against a better defensive side but they haven't been bad enough to say they suck

There re 13 on the field, each equally have the duty to do their best to achieve a win for the team but this is not happening right now

For that you cant say its the forwards who suck or are impactless.

In frustration and anger we do sum it up differently
Had we won last night most would have been drooling about how they love our forwards and how they owned the Knights.

I think that most of us would've been thinking that it was the greatest miricle since the loaves and fishes :roll

You get the jist of it

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 1:57 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:Grant and Lawrence have been our best 2 forwards so far this yr. One, people cursed the signing of in January, calling him a bum, the other is perhaps the most maligned player in the history of the forum. Not sure if that's a reflection of good they've been or how bad the rest have been though.

He needs to run more plays as a decoy - oppositions know if he is on the run he will get the ball and usually hit him with 3 or 4 tacklers immediately who just hold him up and contain any offload. Slows down any forward momentum we have.

shane2801

Post by shane2801 » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 2:08 pm

A little unfair of me to throw Woods in with the rest of these nuffy forwards as he didn't finish the game yesterday. I am only saying that he isn't playing anywhere near a SOO or Test player should be. Grant & Lawrence are our only two at the moment running with purpose. Woods is practically jogging into the opposition at present.
BLACK & WHITE...DYNAMITE!!!!!

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 2:50 pm

Our forwards.........
The best ones departed for other clubs.