Taylor calls for Tiger toughness

User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 30426
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: Perth
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 84 times

Taylor calls for Tiger toughness

Unread post by willow » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 2:52 pm

Taylor calls for Tiger toughness
Mon 11 Apr, 2016, 7:38am
By Jack Brady ‌, National Correspondent , NRL.com

Wests Tigers coach Jason Taylor has urged his players to find much-needed toughness following their 18-16 loss to the previously winless Newcastle Knights on Sunday.

After making a strong start to the season with back-to-back wins the Tigers have now slumped to four straight losses.

"I just want us to be tougher. That's the simplest way of putting it. We need to train tougher, we need to be harder on each other at training and we need to be tough on the field," Taylor said post-game.

"It's easy to say it was a lack of execution but for us it's more than that. We're trying to play a style of football that can't be sustained in the NRL. We're trying to finesse our way to victory in games and we have been doing so the past few weeks.

"It's not going to get us to where we want to get to, we need to toughen up. That performance was just not good enough from us.

"We're talking about where we want to play at the moment and we want to be tougher but we're not doing it at the moment. We have to start doing it or else we won't get to where we can."

Tigers skipper Aaron Woods shared his coach's sentiments.

"I think at times we looked good out there but in instances we tried to be pretty," Woods said.

"We weren't tough enough to rip in and play off the back of that. We're just trying to score off one big play. It's just not good enough for first-grade footy."

Taylor also said handing the Tigers a greater license to thrill this season had nothing to do with several of his players making "soft decisions" over the past month.

"We have developed things into a situation where what we're doing in attack suits our players, but it has nothing to do with our decision-making when the time is right,” Taylor said.

"At the moment we're making soft decisions that put our whole team under pressure and it's just not one or two players. We have a number of players doing it and that's why we are where we are and the reason we have lost four games now.

"What we did in Round 1 and 2 was good footy but this is the NRL and opposition teams know we're going to put that stuff on them. When they handle it we have to be able to stick at it."


User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 18807
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 203 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 2:54 pm

''We need to get tough. Now here, have a beer and a slice of Pepperoni''

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 16233
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 157 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 2:58 pm

We never looked good out there Woodsy, who are you trying to kid?
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

sunshine coast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 1067
Joined: Tue 16 Mar, 2010 5:40 pm
Location: Back in Sydney

Unread post by sunshine coast tiger » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 3:35 pm

In that case I hope Jason Taylor drops a few guys that he thinks aren't tough enough. He has made a good statement but his actions is what is needed.

User avatar
clifferdSH
Member
Member
Posts: 566
Joined: Fri 16 Sep, 2011 9:46 pm

Unread post by clifferdSH » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 3:48 pm

Step 1 for Tiger toughness , drop players that are the main cause of this!

Brooks, Lovett, Halatau, Milone all to reserves please and thanks

Can't go any worse anyway


User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 16233
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 157 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 4:09 pm

sunshine coast tiger wrote:In that case I hope Jason Taylor drops a few guys that he thinks aren't tough enough. He has made a good statement but his actions is what is needed.
That's it, isn't it? He's made a point that they are simply not good enough, will he hold them accountable though?
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Snake
Member
Member
Posts: 4366
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 5:37 pm
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 59 times

Unread post by Snake » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 4:17 pm

:roll
Cultured Bogan wrote:
sunshine coast tiger wrote:In that case I hope Jason Taylor drops a few guys that he thinks aren't tough enough. He has made a good statement but his actions is what is needed.
That's it, isn't it? He's made a point that they are simply not good enough, will he hold them accountable though?
:roll

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 4054
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 58 times

Unread post by gallagher » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 4:20 pm

Change the names of the coach and the player and I've read that article about 6 times a year for the last decade.
We just dont have it in us, not the players,not the coach and not the club. None of them

User avatar
Love the WestsTigers
Member
Member
Posts: 3101
Joined: Wed 21 Jul, 2010 12:03 pm
Location: Ex Ctown Resident Now Qlander
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by Love the WestsTigers » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 4:36 pm

Alright Mr Taylor, if anyone I think you can make these things happen
Train harder etc


So show us fans what you got coz all we getting atm is your lip service which is frustrating me more than the team performance

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 4054
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 58 times

Unread post by gallagher » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 4:41 pm

Love the WestsTigers wrote:Alright Mr Taylor, if anyone I think you can make these things happen
Train harder etc


So show us fans what you got coz all we getting atm is your lip service which is frustrating me more than the team performance
The players just dont have it in them. They'll go hard the next few weeks, beat a top class side, then slowly easy off again. The cycle has been happening for years now.

User avatar
westTAHger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4638
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 3:07 pm
Location: with Daffy Duck, having fun
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by westTAHger » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 5:30 pm

All we call for is consistent good performances.
No "clocking off" during the game, or when in a position of having a good lead, no putting the cue in the rack, thinking we've got this, only to be run down and embarrassed by defeat.
Don't talk yourselves up in the media, and not back it up on the field.
Is that really to much to ask for ?
:sign: once a sprite in black and white.
now I am bold, in black, white and gold



" Hell and heaven, they can wait for you,
So go and do all the things that you want to do ".

From the Stereophonics song " C'est La Vie

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5452
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 5:49 pm

While youre at it Jt, can you do something about our fitness, im sick of seeing three quarters of the team clocking off at the 30th minutes in most games

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5452
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 5:53 pm

Sorry WesTAHger.
I didnt see your similar comment before I posted

TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4977
Joined: Thu 14 Aug, 2014 11:22 am
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 60 times

Unread post by TrueTiger » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 6:10 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:While youre at it Jt, can you do something about our fitness, im sick of seeing three quarters of the team clocking off at the 30th minutes in most games

GCT,the club has been commended for their strength and conditioning team,Kidwell is the defensive coach and JT oversees the lot...to me JT has a poor coaching and assistants staff and a pretty ordinary roster of players,throw in the fact that most think he is a poor coach and buckets as manager of football operations....and there are people expecting a top 8 finish....they should be more prepared for a bottom 4 finish,and that's being generous...until they remove all the old stigma in this club then it will just keep going on as the years go by...JT has been thrown in the deep end with this overhyped and overerated rabble who live off their reputation alone....if this team don't start performing to the huge hype put on them then the deep end will only get deeper,many blame JT and his coaching,irrespective of how poorly he coaches,as the wise old man told me once "you can't put brains into statues"...

There you go another classic vent from good old TT...who is a very disappointed member at the moment.... :rant
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5452
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 6:13 pm

TrueTiger wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:While youre at it Jt, can you do something about our fitness, im sick of seeing three quarters of the team clocking off at the 30th minutes in most games

GCT,the club has been commended for their strength and conditioning team,Kidwell is the defensive coach and JT oversees the lot...to me JT has a poor coaching and assistants staff and a pretty ordinary roster of players,throw in the fact that most think he is a poor coach and buckets as manager of football operations....and there are people expecting a top 8 finish....they should be more prepared for a bottom 4 finish,and that's being generous...until they remove all the old stigma in this club then it will just keep going on as the years go by...JT has been thrown in the deep end with this overhyped and overerated rabble who live off their reputation alone....if this team don't start performing to the huge hype put on them then the deep end will only get deeper,many blame JT and his coaching,irrespective of how poorly he coaches,as the wise old man told me once "you can't put brains into statues"...

There you go another classic vent from good old TT...who is a very disappointed member at the moment.... :rant
Arent we all TT?

Tuiaki Chicken Wings
Member
Member
Posts: 525
Joined: Sun 09 Mar, 2014 7:16 pm

Unread post by Tuiaki Chicken Wings » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 6:19 pm

It's a bit hard to play tough so to speak, when you have players in your team that hardly strike fear into the eyes of your opponent

Muffstar
Member
Member
Posts: 2231
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:20 pm
Location: Port Macquarie
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Muffstar » Mon 11 Apr, 2016 6:54 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:''We need to get tough. Now here, have a beer and a slice of Pepperoni''
Ahh but they are drinking DA or KB, any tougher they would rust.

Post Reply

Return to “Round 6: Wests Tigers vs Newcastle Knights”