Official team v Storm

steve-o
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Official team v Storm

Unread post by steve-o » Tue 12 Apr, 2016 9:33 pm

Geo. wrote:The team will change...
The team might change because of injuries, but other than that the team will be as named, which means Lovett and Milone will still be there.
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

stevied
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by stevied » Tue 12 Apr, 2016 9:36 pm

In my other thread, I rated the individual performance of each player in the first grade squad after 6 rounds. Here they are with the suggested changes I think should have been made as a result. I've ignored the 'Top 25', 'Second Tier', Boys Club, 600K contract and any other crap constraints in order to list the best team....

1. *Tedesco 9/10 (the heart and soul of the team)
2. *Nofoaluma 6.5/10 (better forward than most of the pack)
3. SIMONA 6.5/10 (NEEDS TO BE REPLACED BY *PENI during suspension, Millone is best not mentioned)
4. Naiqama 7.5/10 (been great but shocker on Sunday)
5. *Rankin 6/10 (bolstered by best effort Sunday and goal kicking)
6. *Moses 6/10 (far too many Benji style miracle play attempts)
7. BROOKS 5/10 (NEEDS TO BE REPLACED BY *LITTLEJOHN)
8. *Woods 8/10 (big motor but doesn't bend line/ replaced by *AVA 7.5 due to injury)
9. HALATAU/ *Farah 6/10 (FARAH was good on Sunday despite slow service and should be 9)
10. *Grant 8/10 (Been good despite belting he copped on Sunday)
11. Alouai 6.5/10 (shows promise but should be on bench. I'd promote *EDWARDS)
12. *Lawrence 7.5/10 (looks like a first grade second rower who I would make captain)
13. *Sue 7.5/10 (with Grant and Ava, the only forward to bend the line)

14. CHERRINGTON 5.5/10 (need a back up hooker)
15. Sironen 5.5/10 (lucky to keep his place)
16. CHEE KAM (needs to be given a chance)
17. Aloiai 6.5/10 (shows promise and heart)

I've dropped BROOKS, HALATAU (6) and LOVETT - Brooks for lack of first grade half back play, Halatau and Lovett for lack of size and impact. That's four changes in the squad, three due to form and one due to suspension. But, of course, this didn't happen and we have to seriously wonder about Taylor's brain power or guts. Clearly the boys club is well and truly alive and kicking! Whatever happened to the notion of earning a first grade spot, giving the team a shakeup, rewarding strong efforts or all of the above?
:deadhorse:
We'll get whipped!

I know......

tigerap
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 40 times

Unread post by tigerap » Tue 12 Apr, 2016 9:50 pm

The coaches, and there are at least 4, who are involved in team selections know and see much more of the player options than we do... We are all calling for a Milone substitute and for this person to play NSW cup etc...but we don't see the team train, we don't see all the NSW games... So are we in a true position to second guess there decisions on player selection.... ?... If we are to be honest the answer is no....

Eddie
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Eddie » Tue 12 Apr, 2016 10:28 pm

Surprise, surprise Taylor can't back up the tough at the selection table...

Oh well let him dig his own grave...

Harvey
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 55 times

Unread post by Harvey » Tue 12 Apr, 2016 10:35 pm

tigerap wrote:The coaches, and there are at least 4, who are involved in team selections know and see much more of the player options than we do... We are all calling for a Milone substitute and for this person to play NSW cup etc...but we don't see the team train, we don't see all the NSW games... So are we in a true position to second guess there decisions on player selection.... ?... If we are to be honest the answer is no....
Are you sure? I thought the selection committee could be O'Neill, Robbie and a couple of player managers.

Tigermama

Unread post by Tigermama » Tue 12 Apr, 2016 10:43 pm

Kavi wrote:i hope milone does his acl
Wishing a very painful injury on the young man is not kosher.

Harvey
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 55 times

Unread post by Harvey » Tue 12 Apr, 2016 10:46 pm

Griffin got a big wrap from the mole, described as a machine, and yet can't get a look in to a 19 man squad short on middle forwards

cktiger
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by cktiger » Tue 12 Apr, 2016 10:47 pm

Harvey wrote:
tigerap wrote:The coaches, and there are at least 4, who are involved in team selections know and see much more of the player options than we do... We are all calling for a Milone substitute and for this person to play NSW cup etc...but we don't see the team train, we don't see all the NSW games... So are we in a true position to second guess there decisions on player selection.... ?... If we are to be honest the answer is no....
Are you sure? I thought the selection committee could be O'Neill, Robbie and a couple of player managers.
Time to take the tin foil off and see the truth, Harvey.
Taylor is responsible for picking the team and getting results - and the board has said on many occasions he has their full support to do as he chooses.
I am no JT supporter but you would wonder why, when faced with getting the sack (which will happen if we keep losing games), he keeps picking players that don't do their job.
He needs to do SOMETHING - we lose this week and the phones will be running hot to people looking to replace him.

Eddie
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Eddie » Tue 12 Apr, 2016 11:01 pm

cktiger wrote:
Harvey wrote:
Taylor is responsible for picking the team and getting results - and the board has said on many occasions he has their full support to do as he chooses.
I am no JT supporter but you would wonder why, when faced with getting the sack (which will happen if we keep losing games), he keeps picking players that don't do their job.
He needs to do SOMETHING - we lose this week and the phones will be running hot to people looking to replace him.
Careful some people will do anything to shift blame from JT......

He has got the coaches we wanted and gets to pick the 17 each week.

He is digging his own grave at the selection table.

Fans would get behind him more if he backed up the tough talk and dropped a number of under performing players.

greatodensraven
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by greatodensraven » Tue 12 Apr, 2016 11:09 pm

I'd say JT's comments in the presser were aimed squarely at Brooks, Moses & to a lesser extent Robbie, ie. "Not taking the tough option". Maybe he has put them on notice & given them this week to turn it around.

Problem is, I don't know that Littleton & Drinkwater would do a better job. Haven't our NSW cup side be terrible the last few weeks? Cherry & Halatau weren't making an impact at hooker & Liddle is too inexperienced. What other options do we have? Will replacing a back-up centre & potentially a couple of bench players change the options we take? Don't get me wrong I'd love to see Addo-Carr, MCK, Edwards & Griffin get a chance but would they make a difference if our spine keep taking the soft options?

ricksen
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by ricksen » Wed 13 Apr, 2016 12:26 am

Milone is a truly bizarre selection, but he's hardly alone there.
I look forward to conceding another 4 tries between the 30 and 60 min marks.

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Wed 13 Apr, 2016 4:41 am

Has Moses really attempted too many miracle attempts? I attribute the last one virtually on full time last week desperation, if the tackles would have been played out fully we would have lost on time anyway. So he tired a sortie that could have come off, no difference to the results that it failed. If I remember correctly he attempted a similar stunt a few weeks back but I believe they were the only true winning option available. Recently his game has been close to perfect and brilliant so surely he deserves at least 8.5/10.

A similar story for Farah he was virtually faultless last game, if he is slow in dummy half that is not his fault. 7.5 or 8/10
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

willow
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 61 times

Unread post by willow » Wed 13 Apr, 2016 7:01 am

I don't give a damn how well Milone trains. What he shows out on the field during a game is so far off FG standard it's an insult to the fans who pay money to watch the team play.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 94 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 13 Apr, 2016 7:55 am

Eddie wrote:
cktiger wrote:
Harvey wrote:
Careful some people will do anything to shift blame from JT......

He has got the coaches we wanted and gets to pick the 17 each week.

He is digging his own grave at the selection table.

Fans would get behind him more if he backed up the tough talk and dropped a number of under performing players.
I have to say I agree with this somewhat. How long do you persist with players that simply don't have it, or are not living up to their promise?
It's not cruelty if you inject enough amphetamines...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

shakey4d
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by shakey4d » Wed 13 Apr, 2016 8:09 am

willow wrote:
I don't give a damn how well Milone trains. What he shows out on the field during a game is so far off FG standard it's an insult to the fans who pay money to watch the team play.

Its not just the onvious ones though. For example, we make a break down the field on tackle one. Tedesco plays it to moses and moses hospital passes it to brooks. Yes many will say brooks dropped it cold and yes he should have caught it. But it was an unnecessary play on tackle 1, 15m out. We didnt need to panic. I think this is what JT refers to when saying we sometimes make soft decisions. Unnecessary risky passes and kicks, trying to score off every play and never building any pressure.

Russell
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 104 times

Unread post by Russell » Wed 13 Apr, 2016 8:34 am

marzie wrote:I'm sick to death of JT even if the team was winning I can't wait for him to be gone. Can't believe they passed on Kevin Walters to sign this guy
That would have been another rookie!

stevetiger

Unread post by stevetiger » Wed 13 Apr, 2016 8:36 am

shakey4d wrote:
willow wrote:

Its not just the onvious ones though. For example, we make a break down the field on tackle one. Tedesco plays it to moses and moses hospital passes it to brooks. Yes many will say brooks dropped it cold and yes he should have caught it. But it was an unnecessary play on tackle 1, 15m out. We didnt need to panic. I think this is what JT refers to when saying we sometimes make soft decisions. Unnecessary risky passes and kicks, trying to score off every play and never building any pressure.
I agree with you. I also blamed Brooks for that and maybe he should have taken it but why make that pass. We just aren't executing well in attack at the moment.

Chadman's Ghost

Unread post by Chadman's Ghost » Wed 13 Apr, 2016 8:58 am

If Sue is passed fit to play I wouldn't be surprised to see him drop to the bench with Edwards starting at lock. Sue then becomes a bench prop with Aloiai.

Sironen & Chee Kam would be playing for 1 spot as the 'running back rower'.

Lovett & Buchanan compete as the 'worker'.

If Sue isn't passed fit, Buchanan will get a spot due to the lack of Props.

I think (so long as Sue passes) the bench will likely be:

Sue
Lovett
Aloiai
Sironen

Have to match it with the Storm forwards. This fixation on Milone is laughable. If he is the reason the Tigers lose to the Storm, I'll probably be happy we were able to match them across the park. But the impact Milone has (or Simona to be completely honest) on if the Tigers win or lose is pretty much negligable.

We won the first 2 games on the back of good forward momentum, allowing the backs to play freely. Not sure why everyone has forgotten that.

Return to “Round 7: Wests Tigers vs Melbourne Storm”